The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2017, 05:05 AM   #31
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
SECURITY SYSTEMS - revisited today May 23, 2017

Hello all... rather than starting a new thread on security systems, I am reviving this one. Thank you, OP.

I am constantly getting simplisafe ads in the mail. Since OP's question 2 years ago, has anyone experienced any problems with simplisafe?

I am considering use of cameras while I am away, but my best security system is my faithful pup, who has great vocal cords, while I am home.

I welcome any other input about most economical, least complicated system that above posts did not cover.

Thank you, DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:11 AM   #32
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Had an ADT (I think; could have been another company) come to the house one day. When I opened the door and my 135# Newf came and sat down next to me, he got a hopeless look on his face, but started into his pitch anyway. I let him go for a minute or so, then just looked down at the dog.

He smiled and said, "I had to try" and thanked me for my time.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:24 AM   #33
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
I have a monitored system from ADT. I travel a lot for work and it makes my wife feel safe knowing she has a panic button and alarm that is really loud. I usually end up setting it off by accident, but it is nice to get a call from ADT when it goes off. One weekend we must have left the front door open and got a call from ADT asking if it was a false alarm. I said no and they alerted the cops. We beat the cops there, but the front door was open and nothing was disturbed. It's a nice piece of mind for less than $30 a month.
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:17 PM   #34
BravoOne
Banned

What could go wrong? A short story..

I was living in Hillsborough, Calif. back in the 80's and had what then a pretty good security system that went directly to the Hillsborough Police department about 2 miles away. There was an ordinance back then that did not allow for audible alarms in homes, just silent direct notification to the PD. There was a low volume buzzer to let you know that you had set the alarm off at the key pad but nothing that would disturb the neighbors.

One dark and stormy night I pulled up to the front of my home to find three or four local PD cars in front of my house. They said they had received an alarm and they were responding in force as they were pretty sure there was activity in the house. In fact, I had a guest staying over that night, and as it turns out when the alarm was set off (wind blowing an outer access door open), he picked a shotgun of mine and was sneaking around the inside looking for the intruder. So here we have the cops looking for trouble, while the guy inside was looking for the intruder. Fortunately I was able to defuse this before it escalated into something really serious. We laugh about this today but it could have turned really bad for both the cops and the house guest.

Had one other time when I herad someone outside my garage door. When I opened the door it was a local police officer with weapon drawn as I had somehow set off the alarm without realizing it.

I don't recommend silent alarms for the above reasons and most police departments will not have direct hookups since there are to many false alarms these days.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:29 PM   #35
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I have a local company manage my alarm system. They do all the banks and pharmacies in town, so I figured they must know something about security systems.

All the alarm companies are using a call center to monitor the system. When your alarm goes off the call center executes your protocol. My company calls my cell phone to ask if the alarm is real. If I don't answer, or someone answers and doesn't know the code word, the cops are dispatched. This cuts down on false alarm call outs.

I accidently set off the alarm once and didn't have my phone on me. Cops were there seven minutes later.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:39 PM   #36
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Anybody in the USA have ADT or other security system?

I would say the best choice is the one that you can technically understand enough to handle the threats you expect. And I agree that local monitoring is the best for flexibility in rates and management.

The threats we considered were carbon monoxide, fire, door intrusion, window glass break and perimeter sensors. Due to home layout, a mix of hard wired and wireless sensors were needed. I'd say after 30+ years, go for wired sensors over wireless - the batteries get low at the worst times (like 3am) and begin alerting the panels.

We also have passive outdoor sensors for people/cars coming up the driveway or approaching back door. While at home they just give a "heads-up" that something's coming. A quick look at a front yard camera feed let's you know if it's the UPS or pizza delivery you're awaiting, or a solicitor who you don't want to meet.

All other sensors should be actively monitored for peace of mind when you're away. And use cameras if you have regular in-home services while at work (housekeepers, pest control, kid or pet sitters, etc).

In general, cameras & DVRs don't stop a threat, they just make it easier to get a conviction in the small percentage of cases where the perps are caught. But if you like to see all's well at home, then they may be worth the expense. But they also carry the double-edged sword of Internet security.

If you are away often and/or for long periods of time, and don't have in-home service visits, interior motion detection is worthwhile. The "away" mode will catch a break-in even if the perimeter sensors are defeated.

Much luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:54 PM   #37
BravoOne
Banned

Use to work for a guy in Seattle that had a 300 acre estate on Lopez Island in the San Juan Island.s This place had four full time security staff 24/7. They were housed separately in a small building with monitors that were in turn hooked up to remote cameras housed in little monuments all over the place. The monuments had small windshield wipers to keep the glass clear in front of the camera lens. They could tell if a deer crossed a motion detector. Very cool James Bond like. Now that was real security....
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:54 PM   #38
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Anybody in the USA have ADT or other security system?

We are on our 3rd Honeywell wireless system in our 3rd different house. All cell phone modules all completely wireless. We have a monitoring company called Monitronics that partners with local installers to do the job. They have all been larger alarm companies that installed. Find a good monitoring company at a reasonable rate and stick with them. The equipment is all the same no matter who you go with. It is all available anywhere. I have asked Monitronics for the fancy new thing in the adt commercial. They had it.

We pay $25 a month for monitoring and have paid nothing for the equipment. We sign a 2 year contract if they keep our rate every time we move. And it is all new equipment for free. Latest and greatest stuff.

I keep it because I travel and it lets my wife sleep at night.

A dog and a .357 are good back up plans to hold people off until the Po Po show up.

They call her cell, then mine if the alarm is set off. If we don't know the code word then they send the police. Be aware that a lot of communities require an alarm permit or they will charge you if they have to respond.

I also have Arlo cameras all over the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:56 PM   #39
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mark IV Red Sub
I have an older Simon 3 system I installed myself. It calls my cell phone with the exact fault. I can then determine if I want to call local police to investigate when I am not at home.

So, I self monitor with my cellphone.
VaRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:30 PM   #40
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Besides a trusty alarm or camera system, do not post your travels on social media.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 12:22 AM   #41
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Interesting discussion.
Our landlord had an ADT installed, when we moved in we told him we're not interested in taking the subscription so he had the guys come in and remove the system. They forgot to remove the sign tho, so we're protected by the ADT sign.
We don't really have anything to steal other than a TV but I guess in our permanent house we'll probably have an alarm + video installed.
Old 25 May 2017, 12:32 AM   #42
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
To me, the sign out front of your house is what you are really paying for. Most burglars will passed an alarmed house by and pick one without alarms.

I quit paying the money fee and kept the sign/window stickers. Never had a problem. Just don't broadcast this to your friends/neighbors, because word will get around.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 05:03 AM   #43
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Got dogs at home, but looking into a combination of Ring doorbell and Arlo wireless/Wifi security cameras. Both have app/mobile viewing with cloud storage cababilities (Arlo free for 7 days but downloadable or paid subscriptions, Ring $30/year per device or $100 unlimited).

Finding out alot of theives ring the doorbell first to see if one's home. Youtube videos now show would be theives now recognizing Ring Doorbells (knowing their on camera, and shying away)...LOL.
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 05:12 AM   #44
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Find a local installer and monitoring company. Cheaper and better than adt.
Yes, agree with this.
Old 25 May 2017, 05:14 AM   #45
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I accidently set off the alarm once and didn't have my phone on me. Cops were there seven minutes later.
Seven minutes is an eternity. It only allows them to arrive and take the report and begin the investigation, but does nothing to protect anyone inside the house. Stuff can be replaced, but if you're relying on a monitoring service to protect you and your family, you may be very disappointed.
Old 25 May 2017, 10:49 AM   #46
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Please do not rely on the police to come in a timely fashion for a home alarm call.

There are so many many false alarms that residential and business alarms are often priority 3 and 4 calls. Some are not even voice dispatched anymore but sit on the officer's MDT for he or she to self dispatch.

Remember when seconds count the police are just minutes ( sometimes hours ) away.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 11:04 AM   #47
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Seven minutes is an eternity. It only allows them to arrive and take the report and begin the investigation, but does nothing to protect anyone inside the house. Stuff can be replaced, but if you're relying on a monitoring service to protect you and your family, you may be very disappointed.
I live 15 miles from the nearest town. Seven minutes is plenty fast enough to catch the burglars in the act.

When I'm home I don't need an alarm to protect the my family. I am significantly better armed than the policeman answering the call.
Old 25 May 2017, 11:21 AM   #48
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Yikes.

Quote:
I live 15 miles from the nearest town. Seven minutes is plenty fast enough to catch the burglars in the act.

When I'm home I don't need an alarm to protect the my family. I am significantly better armed than the policeman answering the call.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 11:23 AM   #49
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

When seconds count,the police are minutes away. No disrespect to our law enforcement friends. I have the upmost respect,but they can not be everywhere.

Alarm,dog,and...
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 11:32 AM   #50
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
When seconds count,the police are minutes away. No disrespect to our law enforcement friends. I have the upmost respect,but they can not be everywhere.

Alarm,dog,and...
As others have said, the signs do most of the work. My system has an integrated fire detection system and video that I can check when I'm away (it's great after heavy storms). The system protects my home and possessions while I am away.

If folks are expecting the alarm system to protect them, they would be wise to have an armored safe room to retreat to while they await the police response. Or... be prepared to test their locale's castle doctrine.
Old 25 May 2017, 04:36 PM   #51
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

While I disagree about the cops catching burglars in the act, except maybe in an empty house, when you're home, you and I are on the same wavelength.

Old 26 May 2017, 01:05 AM   #52
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling

Thank you to everyone for posting since I revived this thread a couple days ago.
I appreciate the input and valuable information - excellent to know!.
Best,
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 11:56 AM   #53
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Had....ADT after contract expired I set the alarm at night etc. except its not monitored and signs and stickers are still up. Save 60 bucks a month and no break ins in 6 years
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:04 AM   #54
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I have ADT. It's also tied into the fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors which, to me, is where the real value is. For burglaries I depend more on the deterrence of my large dog and the visible ADT sign in front and stickers on the doors and windows. When I'm home the LE response time is extremely impressive when I'm not that dog can manage.

I apparently have a different experience than my colleagues, as where I work a residential alarm is a two car priority call. Response times obviously vary depending on whether you have a local PD or if you are covered by the State Police and Sheriff (if your county has one). We are also required to continue on and make contact with the homeowner regardless if the alarm company gives the all clear. Business Alarms are the same thing but most guys know enough not to race lights and sirens to the same business whose alarm is going off for the 10th time that week.

When it comes to response times you have to remember how much time is spent before patrol is even dispatched. If your system is built around the concept of the monitoring system recognizing the alarm then contacting your primary and then secondary point of contact before notifying dispatch you've already built in five minutes before 911 in your area is notified. Get a dog.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:56 AM   #55
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Got Vivint a few months ago and I'm really liking it. Full video surveillance with two way audio, reminders when doors or windows are left open, the ability to lock/unlock doors or open/close garage, adjust all three thermostats for heat/ac, and give people separate codes to access different doors/parts of your house. All from your cell phone.

I'm having solar installed today and can lock down the interior of the house and arm the alarm but turn it off just in the garage where they need access. I have two cameras in the garage area that I can check in on their progress. Allows me to go to work and then happy hour to start the long weekend rather than sitting at home waiting for solar to be installed all day.

Also works really well to monitory house keepers, gardeners (need access to the interior atrium), nanny, dog walker, or even just check in on the family and say hi when I'm traveling. Best part is it prevents my father in law from having parties at my house when he's dog sitting when we are on vacation. haha
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 06:37 PM   #56
cubix111
"TRF" Member

I'm using Arlo for home security and haven't regretted my decision. It has night vision, HD quality recording and I can link it to my smartphone and pc to alert me once motion is detected.
cubix111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 07:40 PM   #57
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Forget about the alarm. Invest in a Safe (Sturdy, Fort Knox, AMSec, Liberty), Arlo, signs/stickers, and dogs.

Or move out of the area.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 05:23 AM   #58
YoTechBoii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hello all... rather than starting a new thread on security systems, I am reviving this one. Thank you, OP.

I am constantly getting simplisafe ads in the mail. Since OP's question 2 years ago, has anyone experienced any problems with simplisafe?

I am considering use of cameras while I am away, but my best security system is my faithful pup, who has great vocal cords, while I am home.

I welcome any other input about most economical, least complicated system that above posts did not cover.

Thank you, DM

for the "least complicated" i'm rooting for arlo. you can speak and hear through the cam. only downside is its battery life.
YoTechBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 06:41 AM   #59
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
buy a dog. bonus face licks
My dog is 91 pounds now...
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote