The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 December 2016, 04:59 AM   #1
sahcivan
Banned

Watch: ing you watch me
Misophonia

First of all I ask you all not to judge me im just trying to reach out to a group of people that I don't know personally (although I have had the great pleasure of meeting a few of you) that can read this and hopefully give advice on what your read as opposed to your perception of my personality.

Here is goes.... sorry if I've bored you already!

So as the title reads 'misophonia'
Over the last 6/7 years i have started to hate sound!
This sounds weird I'm sure but it's not all sounds, it's certain "trigger sounds".

It's mainly either sounds that a persons body makes or repetitive sounds.

The main triggers are somebody sniffing, coughing, sneezing, breathing heavy, snoring, and also the sounds of somebody scratching their skin or picking there nails.

I'm sure that these sort of sounds would annoy most people but in my head these sounds infuriate me!

BUT! It's not all the time! I can't put my finger on what makes it sometimes annoy me but sometimes not!

It's driving me mad, it's starting to affect my home life, my partner of 9 years says she's constant living on edge of annoying me by doing things that wouldn't annoy your average person. And this in turn stresses me that I'm stressing her. I know it's silly to get annoyed about it but I just can't help it.

It affects my work life. For example recently somebody who was working where I was working was whistling. Now I know that it's unreasonable to ask somebody to stop doing it so I feel i can't ask them but inside I was getting so stressed and wound up that I left work for the day, losing money as a result.

I've snapped in public at people that won't control noises children, I've snapped in restaurants at people Having loud conversations, I've really had enough of it now.

I know to avoid certain activities like eating out if I'm tired or stressed as that is more likely to trigger it but it seems to me and my partner like we are tip toeing around this in all aspects of life, it's taking over.

I'm finally making an appointment to see a doctor to see what they say, I've been scared of going for fear of embarrassment and them thinking I'm a psycho!

So what I'm asking is, does anybody else suffer from this or know anybody that does?

I'm thinking of paying for hypnotherapy also to see if this would help?

Once again, please don't judge, you wouldn't believe how hard this was to write this out and finally admit to myself and all of you that it's too much now and it's talking over my life.
sahcivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:13 AM   #2
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Trying going to a therapist and asking about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I have responded really well in the past to it when I wanted to get my anxiety in line.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:15 AM   #3
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I think you're wise to seek help.
Doesn't sound like the kind of issue best served by man on the street advice.
Old 1 December 2016, 05:20 AM   #4
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Agree, sounds like professional help is in order.
We're mostly just good for the garden variety OCD over scratches.

Best of luck, I can sense your frustration.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:44 AM   #5
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

As I consider myself a friend of yours, first let me say that I'm truly proud of you! It takes a man with courage, and a good heart, to admit to himself, and others that he may need some guidance. You've already taken the hardest step by addressing the issue, and I'm glad to hear you are seeking some professional help. Nobody here is going to judge you, rather I assure you that we are here to help in anyway we can!

I'm glad you reached out to us my friend!
Old 1 December 2016, 05:55 AM   #6
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Extremely proud of you for taking the first step which is recognizing there is an issue. You need to seek an outlet and if that is therapy, a new hobby, a new adventure, only you can decide what you feel it is best for you.

We are all here and thank you very much for allowing us into your life and if there is ANYTHING we can do, by all means.
Old 1 December 2016, 09:57 AM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
As I consider myself a friend of yours, first let me say that I'm truly proud of you! It takes a man with courage, and a good heart, to admit to himself, and others that he may need some guidance. You've already taken the hardest step by addressing the issue, and I'm glad to hear you are seeking some professional help. Nobody here is going to judge you, rather I assure you that we are here to help in anyway we can!

As Trace has already pointed out, you are doing the absolutely correct and brave thing; seeking professional help. We can make jokes about it all day long and people do, but I am not ashamed to say I sought professional help for issues and still do visit with a counselor; this is the correct first step! Congratulations on doing it, and I wish you very quick relief with the issue.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 10:16 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree with everyone else: get professional help. Maybe there is a medication that will help. Good luck.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 10:21 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Couldn't have said it any better

Talking openly amoungest an understanding community is helpful. Professional help will take you toward a resolution. All the best of luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 12:36 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Yeah. Time for professional help.

Doesn't make you a bad guy. I'm sure a lot of people can relate in different ways.

But definitely time to see a pro and talk it out.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 03:32 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Going to see a doctor is the first step. You're half way to getting fixed by recognising the problem and taking positive steps to deal with it. Good luck

One thing I will say though, people whistling in confined areas (office, public transport, etc.) is enough to drive me crackers. I also have the urge to have stern words with the parents of unruly children that will not behave.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I wonder if you consider yourself as normally a 'laid-back' personality OR normally a fairly 'hypertensive' personality.
"High-level-of-arousal" personalities are often irritated by things that a 'laid-back' person doesn't even register.
One would expect that you have always tended towards one OR the other. A sudden shift would be expected to be related to an identifiable causal factor/s.
Being able to talk about it here is a positive early step in diagnosis/treatment.
A good Psychologist should be able to assist. Good luck.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 04:40 PM   #13
sahcivan
Banned

Quote:

Thanks trace! I mean Lord Trace!

Just got to try and get this under control and not lrt it take over anymore. Hopefully I won't have to wear earplugs for the whole 11 hrs to Vegas in may/ June!
Old 1 December 2016, 04:40 PM   #14
sahcivan
Banned

Thankyou everyone else for your kind words and advice. It means a lot
Old 1 December 2016, 04:52 PM   #15
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I concur with everyone here's sentiments that it takes a big person to write what you had written. After you get/seek professional advise... if you feel up to it I would like to know how you are doing and what advise or treatment you were given.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:21 PM   #16
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

As a card carrying member of the Redneck clan of the Southern US, I say, increase you PM whiskey intake and chill the F__k out!

Seriously though, this world rotates on an axis and has other occupants. You might as well learn how to deal with it. I can assure you that the feeling is normal, but most of us just deal with it.
Old 2 December 2016, 12:36 AM   #17
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
OP, I feel your pain. My youngest daughter suffered with this for years. Even though she does excellent in school and has a great social life, at times certain tasks can be a challenge. One of her biggest issues was taking tests in high school, although she was a honor student, a simple sniff or cough from someone would set her mind racing. Since going to college, she has learned to manage it quite well. She has realized how to cope with it, and that it's her issue and not anyone else's.
The problem we felt with treatment is there are not very many people who deal with this issue. It's a relatively newer diagnosis, and not many treat Misophonia. I do feel in my daughters case it is a milder form and growing up and maturing has helped ease her symptoms greatly. I wish you the best...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 12:41 AM   #18
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
As a card carrying member of the Redneck clan of the Southern US, I say, increase you PM whiskey intake and chill the F__k out!

Seriously though, this world rotates on an axis and has other occupants. You might as well learn how to deal with it. I can assure you that the feeling is normal, but most of us just deal with it.
This is a typical B.S. response from someone uninformed and ignorant to the problem. It's a real issue, and people who have it are trying to chill the F__k out, but their minds won't let them.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 01:41 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The sound of people eating drives me mad lol my wife lets me turn the music on if she's eating soup or oxtail lol
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 01:43 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post

GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 08:02 AM   #21
sahcivan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The sound of people eating drives me mad lol my wife lets me turn the music on if she's eating soup or oxtail lol
We eat using plastic knives and forks at home as I can't stand the sound of cutlery on plates and bowls.
Either that or the telly on full volume or I put earphones in and listen to music at dinner time.
Old 2 December 2016, 10:07 AM   #22
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
This is obviously a very debilitating issue for you that has been ruining your life. In the USA there are a dozen or so Misophonia Association chapters across the country. You are definitely not alone. It is a lifelong condition that is associated with the way your brain interprets sound and triggers automatic responses in the body.
Combinations of therapy and noise distraction techniques can lessen the severity. Lifestyles play a role, exercise and get plenty of sleep to lessen stress. Headphones and quiet rooms in your house may also help.
Seek a professional with some experience with the condition. I wish you all the best. God bless.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 11:00 AM   #23
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Congrats on taking the first big step in the right direction! Speaking up about issues we have is harder than most often realize. With the right help from a professional you'll be able to sort this out in time and things will be a lot better. All the best to you
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 11:48 AM   #24
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
No judgement at all. Wishing you the best!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 10:40 PM   #25
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Trying going to a therapist and asking about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I have responded really well in the past to it when I wanted to get my anxiety in line.
Me too.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Excellent advice all round.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 05:17 AM   #26
sahcivan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
This is what the doctor referred me to a psychiatrist for after my appointment today.
Old 7 December 2016, 07:40 AM   #27
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Me too. I have caught myself getting angry at my son while listening to him eat. And it wasn't like he was being noisy, it just seems like at certain times the sound is annoying, and other times it's not. I literally have to leave the room sometimes cause I'm afraid I'll snap at him. And when it happens, it's like an almost rage coming over me. I've felt overwhelmed at how angry I've gotten over something so trivial.
Old 7 December 2016, 07:43 AM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Please see a doctor as soon as possible, for your son's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
Me too. I have caught myself getting angry at my son while listening to him eat. And it wasn't like he was being noisy, it just seems like at certain times the sound is annoying, and other times it's not. I literally have to leave the room sometimes cause I'm afraid I'll snap at him. And when it happens, it's like an almost rage coming over me. I've felt overwhelmed at how angry I've gotten over something so trivial.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 07:46 AM   #29
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
We have music at our dinner table as well.
I'm autistic and I'm quite sensitive to certain noises, eating sounds is one of the sounds that drives me mad too.
I get this angry burning sensation in my stomach (inner rage), I usually try to refresh at the bathroom, count to ten and deal with it. Isn't always easy but I can't go and snap whenever I feel this rage.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2016, 07:44 PM   #30
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
I had a friend who had misophonia. I had never heard of it until she told me about it.

I'm no therapist, so I won't I've advice. After knowing her for a while I feel like it was the result of something much deeper....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote