The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2017, 01:09 PM   #31
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Doug D almost crashed one in race mode in his 15minute drive/5min review.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 02:54 AM   #32
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
I have a new Stingray (460 HP) and it is nowhere near "too much". I hate that they are ending production on the Viper. That has always been one of my bucket list cars and perhaps that would satisfy my horsepower cravings.
Kimber007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 03:17 AM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber007 View Post
I have a new Stingray (460 HP) and it is nowhere near "too much". I hate that they are ending production on the Viper. That has always been one of my bucket list cars and perhaps that would satisfy my horsepower cravings.
460 is a far cry from 707 or 800+.

And FWIW, the stingray actually comes as a pretty darned complete whole package.

And while the Z06 was too much for me, any good driver with experience would be fine with that car. As again, it is a complete package.

My concerns revolve around cars that simply put forth too much power, with the rest of necessary aspects that make a good car.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 03:18 AM   #34
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

And FWIW, the stingray actually comes as a pretty darned complete whole package.

And while the Z06 was too much for me, any good driver with experience would be fine with that car. As again, it is a complete package.

My concerns revolve around cars that simply put forth too much power, with the rest of necessary aspects that make a good car.
its crazy. didnt the c6 z06 have like 505 bhp? these numbers have gotten insane.

is corvette still going mid rear on the next model?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 03:28 AM   #35
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree completely. I researched a ton of cars before buying the Corvette and came to the conclusion that it was the best all around performance vehicle for the money.

Even though I may not be a fan of something like the Demon for me, I still love seeing manufactures push the envelop with models such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
its crazy. didnt the c6 z06 have like 505 bhp? these numbers have gotten insane.

The assembly plant will no longer offer tours for 18 months so we can only assume we are getting a mid-engine Corvette
Old 9 May 2017, 03:30 AM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

agree, I believe that it is going mid engine.

and yeah, insane.

even with the "complete package" the insane amount of HP, to me, are just getting a bit too much.

I remember when 300HP was considered pretty awesome. Now its the standard.

Old 9 May 2017, 03:54 AM   #37
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
I'm probably in the minority here but I've always preferred a lower HP car that was nimble and zippy. Back in the 70s some friends and I owned 2002s
The 2002 turbo of the time with 127 kW at laggy 5,800 rpm is kind of scary even today.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 05:37 AM   #38
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:

supposedly the ZR1 that is coming out will still be a front engine car.
The C8 is rumored to go mid engine but who knows if that will happen or not.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 05:39 AM   #39
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthene View Post
The 2002 turbo of the time with 127 kW at laggy 5,800 rpm is kind of scary even today.
The Knunle, Kopp and Kaush turbocharged 2002tii was only offered in Europe at the time of its production and probably would have had a strong following in the United States (amongst early BMW enthusiasts) had it been available.

As this particular model came with no front bumper (just an air dam), the DOT probably outlawed it's importation due to safety standards. As I recall, even the twin Solex/side-draft 2002ti model was only available in Europe. Here in the U.S. we simply removed the stock/single downdraft Solex carburetor that came with the car and replaced it with dual sidedraft Webers and a new intake manifold. Worked like a charm and the tachometer got extremely lively.

Though the fuel-injected 2002tii was available in the United States, very few owners attempted to turbocharge theirs.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 06:38 AM   #40
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Funny, I remember spending a fortune and a lot of time in the 80's to get a small block Chevy engine to top 400HP. Fond memories of the High School Drags.

Love me some HP, but in some cars it can be scary. Certainly driver has much to do with safety, but watch pro drivers track some cars and you can see they are loose and difficult to manage even for Pros.

My "tuned" S5 puts out about 450HP, but is a heavy car with AWD. It is easy to drive and actually pretty hard to scare yourself in it even with the traction control off.

My last Corvette on the other hand had more HP (500+), was lighter, RWD and a 6 speed. That car was very loose with traction control off and I scared myself a few times in it. You could basically drift it at will. An inexperienced driver could get themselves in trouble quickly in a car like that. Add 200-300 more HP and that gets a little crazy for a streetcar that anyone can buy. Danger....

I love driving fast cars, especially on a track. One of the best feelings in the world--driving fast. But I have been driving fast cars my whole life and have taken track classes. Experience helps a lot but it also takes some discipline and common sense to be safe out there. Not sure enough of the population has all those things to manage a high HP car.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 06:56 AM   #41
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I usually don't drive fast on straight roads so I prefer torque and nimbleness over speed. My Mini-cooper S felt as peppy as my 911, although not as luxurious.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 08:24 AM   #42
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I usually don't drive fast on straight roads so I prefer torque and nimbleness over speed. My Mini-cooper S felt as peppy as my 911, although not as luxurious.
A girl I used to date had a mini.

I loved that thing!!

Old 9 May 2017, 09:38 AM   #43
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Somehow I don't think this is the thread to brag about my Ford Fusion Hybrid......
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 09:51 AM   #44
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Somehow I don't think this is the thread to brag about my Ford Fusion Hybrid......

I don't see why not...
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 10:14 AM   #45
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's a really sweet car.

Love Ford. Love the fusion.

Old 9 May 2017, 10:57 AM   #46
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I got 52.5 mpg on my underpowered Prius over 258 miles today. Average speed 63 mph.

How's your Fusion doing?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 03:02 AM   #47
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
agree, I believe that it is going mid engine.

and yeah, insane.

even with the "complete package" the insane amount of HP, to me, are just getting a bit too much.

I remember when 300HP was considered pretty awesome. Now its the standard.
You're telling me! my dad has a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0 (fox body) and the thing only has like 225 HP. Now 4 cylinder Mustangs are pushing 300+!
Old 10 May 2017, 04:18 AM   #48
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
You're telling me! my dad has a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0 (fox body) and the thing only has like 225 HP. Now 4 cylinder Mustangs are pushing 300+!
Yep, even a 1993 Mustang Cobra R only made 235 hp. Fast at the time but now you can get a Toyota Camry with more horsepower than that.
Old 10 May 2017, 04:35 AM   #49
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
This age old debate reminds me of Ducati and it's dominance for so many years. There has been plenty of bikes on the track that had more HP over the 916/996/998 platforms but Ducati had power that was just CONTROLLABLE. To this day, I'll take a twin over an inline 4 - every day.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:39 AM   #50
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
well, i decided to add this to one of our car guys' thread. That is you seth.

Have you all seen this?

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/05/...7-ford-gt.html
Rondineli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:56 AM   #51
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
It's not always about the HP, though. Look at motorcycles... how many stories have you heard of guys who buy a Harley and crash it driving it home from the dealer? I've heard many. Sports bikes, too, of course, but Harley's don't have all the HP of the sports bikes (or HP/weight ratio). So, even without the HP, the driver is the most important element.

I agree, though, that it's not all about the raw HP. That's good for a straight line, but gets boring. (And, after going 500mph at 200' above the ground quite a bit, running the quarter in 10.something...? Meh.) So, as for me, I have a Boxster S. At the Porsche World Roadshow a few years back, we had the opportunity to drive the Carrera, Carrera S, Boxster S and Cayman S. After the event, I was talking to my brother in law about which we liked better. He liked the 911, but the Boxster/Cayman just put a bigger smile on my face around the turns of the track. Opted for the open air experience vs the solid lid, but both were equally fun. Don't get me wrong, the 911 is an awesome car and I may yet get one (love the Targa!), but for pure fun factor, the mid-engined "slower" but quicker car was just more fun!

I'm very much looking forward to the new mid-engined Corvette, though....

Oh, and in the supercar (hypercar?) category, look at the Porsche 918. It regularly kicks the ass of much higher powered cars, both in a straight line and on a course.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:18 AM   #52
crc45
"TRF" Member

I will always have more fun driving a slow car/motorcycle fast than driving a fast car/motorcycle slow.
crc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 01:59 AM   #53
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I agree. I have a fairly low powered car (but it scoots like a rocket because it's so light -still do 0-60 in under 4 seconds) but with the suspension and they way it's set up (corner balanced) the handling is sublime (on rails as they say).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 01:48 PM   #54
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Which fairly low powered car is that?

I have low powered bikes.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 06:00 PM   #55
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I had a Lexus GS460 that had right at 350 HP. 0-60 was decent, mid 5's. But 30-50, 60-90, etc. all happened in a blink of an eye. And that's a heavy car. 400+, especially in a light sports car, is more than I'd need or probably enjoy. But it sounds cool...
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 09:05 PM   #56
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
I ran a 350 bhp 3.8L 997 for four years, and hardly ever had the opportunity to actually floor it. Even when I did floor it, it was only briefly. It was just too fast for British roads.

I replaced it last year with a 275 bhp 2.7L 981 Cayman (both cars manual transmission). This is much more like it. Handles better, inspires much more confidence, and has the feel-good factor in spades. It's far better-looking as well, and only a tad slower.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:38 AM   #57
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Which fairly low powered car is that?
with mods: race engine, custom head, super charger, intake, bigger injectors, stronger valves, custom exhaust, yadda yadda,...

But the best part is the suspension - Adjustable Ohlins.

It's a fun toy.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 03:06 AM   #58
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Lots of trouble usually serious?
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 03:43 AM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
with mods: race engine, custom head, super charger, intake, bigger injectors, stronger valves, custom exhaust, yadda yadda,...

But the best part is the suspension - Adjustable Ohlins.

It's a fun toy.

Yeah man!!!

Love that ride. Very sexy.

And all sorts of scary/crazy.

Also, reinforces...it ain't all about HP.

Old 29 May 2017, 04:25 AM   #60
BristolCavendish
Banned

In light of the increasing traffic gridlock just to meander through countless boulevards and traffic signals on the way to various mundane strip malls, owning a 500HP+ automobile borders on the ludicrous. My Subaru Outback adequately suffices in terms of getting from Point A to Point B.

While I love and admire fast cars, they are no longer practical given the overall congestion permeating the streets today. What's the point of having a car you can never get out of second gear while running ordinary errands? I experienced the same conundrum during the late 1980s while owning/driving a 911. Eventually switched to a Volvo 240 and while it was an incredibly boring vehicle, the aggravation of not being able to fully enjoy a screaming roadster was greatly eliminated (along with reduced insurance rates).

A lot of this depends on where one lives and its open road availability/options. There's a neighbor down the street who owns an AC Cobra/427 and he rarely gets to maximize its potential. The car is more of a 'show-off' middle-aged boulevard cruiser (along with his Rolex Daytona) and oftentimes subject to sardonic ridicule amongst the more earthy residents of our small Marin County enclave.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote