The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Chivalry???

Maybe you've also experienced this.
I just went for a quick lunch. In doing so I went through a total of 4 doorways. Each time I held the door for the next person behind me. In all four cases, that person was a women ( some were teenagers, but still women)
ONLY ONE, managed to say "Thank you"
WTF is up with this
Not that I'm doing this for the "Thank yous", but still, doesn't anyone ( well 1 out of 4 today) have any manners. That 1 out of 4 was more like 1 out of 6, as there were multiple people one time.
I will continue to hold the doors, but I always give each and every one behind me a big "YOU"RE WELCOME" . Some have this stunned look on there face when I say this.
Rant for the day is over.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Atomic

I'm with you on this John. And I do the same, 'you're welcome' comment afterwards, often to the same looks of disbelief.

Manners are definetly on the slide in modern society.
Old 27 May 2006, 06:09 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt:

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:16 PM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
That's why I think you are a great bunch of guys. I’m also one those fools who do this and gives up his seat in tram or bus to an elderly person or pregnant woman. The 16 year olds chew their gum and look dim-witted. I don’t care, just hope someone will return the favour when I’m 78. I see a pattern emerging here on TRF: Rolex, cars, family values and good old fashioned politeness. (And booze. And sheep in the case of JJ ).
Old 27 May 2006, 06:47 AM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
The door thing pisses me off and so does not giving a wave in traffic when you let that Ahole on their cell phone in from traffic.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 06:50 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:27 PM..
Old 27 May 2006, 06:53 AM   #7
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

What pisses me off while driving is parking. You wait patiently while someone backs out of a spot, them some prick comes the other way & gets the spot before you can move

Member # 293
Old 27 May 2006, 07:00 AM   #8
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
THAT PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN ALMOST ANYTHING ELSE WHILE DRIVING Ungrateful stiffs
Now, now, now, Ceej! Just breath in and out. The Zen of driving, rember?
Old 27 May 2006, 07:03 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Now, now, now, Ceej! Just breath in and out. The Zen of driving, rember?

Old 27 May 2006, 07:04 AM   #10
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Come on Craig, you will be pushing 400hp pretty soon, NO ONE WILL CUT IN FRONT OF YOU

Member # 293
Old 27 May 2006, 07:21 AM   #11
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
What pisses me off while driving is parking. You wait patiently while someone backs out of a spot, them some prick comes the other way & gets the spot before you can move
Just count your blessings that you don't have to put up with Quebec drivers every day ..
Gentleman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 09:31 AM   #12
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I'm with you on this John. And I do the same, 'you're welcome' comment afterwards, often to the same looks of disbelief.

Manners are definetly on the slide in modern society.
I do the exact same thing when this happens.
Old 27 May 2006, 11:41 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Maybe you've also experienced this.
I just went for a quick lunch. In doing so I went through a total of 4 doorways. Each time I held the door for the next person behind me. In all four cases, that person was a women ( some were teenagers, but still women)
ONLY ONE, managed to say "Thank you"
WTF is up with this
Not that I'm doing this for the "Thank yous", but still, doesn't anyone ( well 1 out of 4 today) have any manners. That 1 out of 4 was more like 1 out of 6, as there were multiple people one time.
I will continue to hold the doors, but I always give each and every one behind me a big "YOU"RE WELCOME" . Some have this stunned look on there face when I say this.
Rant for the day is over.
All you really need to do is give their cleavages one long hard stare and the "Thank yous" will automatically start pouring out!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 12:13 PM   #14
Roverdave

Watch: SS Sub
I believe as a majority rule chivalry is dead here in the states. Parking, doors, seats in waiting areas of dining facilities-both upper class and McD's, etc, etc...

I have and always will give up a seat or hold a door for anyone-heck I'll give you the shirt off of my back if you need it. I can't remember the last time ANYONE held the door for me-even the extra push just to keep it from shutting in my face. I snapped a few weeks ago when we were riding on a tram to Navy Pier in Chicago when we were sight seeing with some family that lives there. I got on the tram and there was one seat left. I was standing in front of it while situating our three year old next to me so my wife could sit down in it and some little punk listening to an Ipod zipped in and sat in the seat. I politely as I could explained to him that it was my wife's seat who is 8-months pregnant and VERY big in comparison to her normal size and the kid said "she obviously isn't sitting in it because I AM, and if you do anything I will scream child molester." I was so dumbfounded I just got the wife and kid off of the tram and caught a cab. I wish I would have had the presence of mind to take the tram and teach him a few lessons when we got off...
Roverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 02:49 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdave
I believe as a majority rule chivalry is dead here in the states. Parking, doors, seats in waiting areas of dining facilities-both upper class and McD's, etc, etc...

I have and always will give up a seat or hold a door for anyone-heck I'll give you the shirt off of my back if you need it. I can't remember the last time ANYONE held the door for me-even the extra push just to keep it from shutting in my face. I snapped a few weeks ago when we were riding on a tram to Navy Pier in Chicago when we were sight seeing with some family that lives there. I got on the tram and there was one seat left. I was standing in front of it while situating our three year old next to me so my wife could sit down in it and some little punk listening to an Ipod zipped in and sat in the seat. I politely as I could explained to him that it was my wife's seat who is 8-months pregnant and VERY big in comparison to her normal size and the kid said "she obviously isn't sitting in it because I AM, and if you do anything I will scream child molester." I was so dumbfounded I just got the wife and kid off of the tram and caught a cab. I wish I would have had the presence of mind to take the tram and teach him a few lessons when we got off...
That one really sucked, David.

That little punk needed one almighty wallop around the ears and the back of his feking head. What a prick!!

Today's kids need some lessons in manners. There's just too much of sparing the rod and spoiling the child going on around.

Back in our days, we were sh!t scared of our elders and parents. Respect and good manners were the order of the day. You either listened or got whacked - no options.

Today all this crap about psychology and not whacking the kids is sheer bullshit. It's just this attitude and stupid psychology that has spoilt today's generation and makes them think they can get away with just about anything.

We are what we are...thanks to the good ole rod and the prudent way our parents used it!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 02:51 PM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdave

Effin punk, he is lucky you didn't smack his ass right there David. Good on ya though, you being the adult and gentelman took the right course of action, especially with the wife and child there.

Karma will pay that little SOB back in due time.

Old 27 May 2006, 07:35 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Afraid thats the 21 century for you,especially the teens to twenties group.I find that most have very little manners, or regard for there older and in most cases a lot wiser generation,but who is to blame for this you tell me.Myself was always taught proper manners,and passed down to my children.But have found that my sons children,are sometimes lacking in the respect department.This will not wash with me,and I will tell them so,make no mistake about it thats one thing I will not tolerate.Thats disrespect or down right bad manners,and a general lack of Chivalry,maybe I am old fashion,but good manners chivalry cost nothing..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 07:55 PM   #18
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Afraid thats the 21 century for you,especially the teens to twenties group.I find that most have very little manners, or regard for there older and in most cases a lot wiser generation
Hey hey hey...back off!
I'm in my early twenties & I consider myself respectful, polite & whatnot, so gimme a break you silly old git!

Actually, jokes aside, I agree with you as usual Padi.
Thanks to my elders & betters, as well as school, I try to be chivalrous as possible. But I noticed that some of the younger year groups who are totally mollycoddled & handled with white, puffy kid gloves end up acting like little $hits because of this. If they've got it easy, they'll take advantage of it.
I learnt respect...sometimes the hard way...but I still learnt it & it only ever benefits me. Don't catch public transport, but I'll always open or hold doors for people, say 'please' and 'thank-you' & be mindful of queue heirarchy. And always open the car door or restaurant door for a girl, something which I've only seen happen elsewhere a couple of times.

After my little rant, I do agree with you all, but not all of us are little $hitbags.

And so speaketh Sir Otis.....
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 08:25 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis
Hey hey hey...back off!
I'm in my early twenties & I consider myself respectful, polite & whatnot, so gimme a break you silly old git!

Actually, jokes aside, I agree with you as usual Padi.
Thanks to my elders & betters, as well as school, I try to be chivalrous as possible. But I noticed that some of the younger year groups who are totally mollycoddled & handled with white, puffy kid gloves end up acting like little $hits because of this. If they've got it easy, they'll take advantage of it.
I learnt respect...sometimes the hard way...but I still learnt it & it only ever benefits me. Don't catch public transport, but I'll always open or hold doors for people, say 'please' and 'thank-you' & be mindful of queue heirarchy. And always open the car door or restaurant door for a girl, something which I've only seen happen elsewhere a couple of times.

After my little rant, I do agree with you all, but not all of us are little $hitbags.

And so speaketh Sir Otis.....
Silly yes, git perhaps, but old no,and I did say most,and not all in your age bracket Otis.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 08:40 PM   #20
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Silly yes, git perhaps, but old no,and I did say most,and not all in your age bracket Otis.

You said it all! I was just kidding mate...!
And, you're 100% right.
Sometimes I feel a bit embarrased to be in a generation that lacks some of the more gentleman-like qualities. I just try to
be the best damn Otis I can be, and I know I've got a hell of a lot to learn about life from my elders.

Actually, we are a pretty 'orrible bunch when it comes to it. Sitting around quaffing moloko vellocet & gearing up for a bit o' the old ultra-violence....

Just forget about the codpieces & funny face makeup.
Old 27 May 2006, 09:24 PM   #21
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis

be the best damn Otis I can be, and I know I've got a hell of a lot to learn about life from my elders.

Actually, we are a pretty 'orrible bunch when it comes to it. Sitting around quaffing moloko vellocet & gearing up for a bit o' the old ultra-violence....

Just forget about the codpieces & funny face makeup.
Now, now Otis, mind the language Ah, A Clockwork Orange, did you arrive in a time machine?
Old 27 May 2006, 09:34 PM   #22
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
It is all part of the same absence of care and concern for courtesy, endemic of today's society. Because the practice of good manners toward our fellow humans is generally no longer taught by parents, the only way it can be imparted to the children is by example in school and in the larger society.

We are failing miserably!
Old 27 May 2006, 09:48 PM   #23
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince
It is all part of the same absence of care and concern for courtesy, endemic of today's society. Because the practice of good manners toward our fellow humans is generally no longer taught by parents, the only way it can be imparted to the children is by example in school and in the larger society.

We are failing miserably!
I even think that one is considered a whimp or dork if you still speak with two words or assist a lady with her chair. No longer a part of the 'now generation'
Old 27 May 2006, 10:25 PM   #24
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now, now Otis, mind the language Ah, A Clockwork Orange, did you arrive in a time machine?

My apologies Frans.... told you I was a nogoodnik!

Time machine? nahhh...rode in on an atomic bomb, waving my 10 gallon!

yee-haw!
Old 27 May 2006, 11:53 PM   #25
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
I even think that one is considered a whimp or dork if you still speak with two words or assist a lady with her chair. No longer a part of the 'now generation'
EXACTLY, Frans. A pity, to be sure.

Oh, and BTW - I like the lion!
Old 27 May 2006, 11:56 PM   #26
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

The lion says: "Grrrrroaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!".
Old 28 May 2006, 01:43 AM   #27
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:22 PM..
Old 28 May 2006, 01:43 AM   #28
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:22 PM..
Old 28 May 2006, 01:47 AM   #29
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:21 PM..
Old 28 May 2006, 02:07 AM   #30
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Yes, but your a, lion? says Meeeeeooooowwwwwwww
Don't mock me Ceej! The lion can get mighty angry if you do that and he hasn't eaten all day! (Boy, is that meat expensive!).