The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2006, 06:08 AM   #1
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
My hobby

Apart from the watch craze and TRF I have a hobby. A bit stagnant now, but still my hobby. I collect US flight jackets of the period between 1938 and 1956. 1938 for the introduction of the A-2 and 1956 for the introduction of the MA-1. But the jackets I buy are replicas, not originals. There are two reasons for this. One, the originals are being traded for astronomical prices and two, I don’t want to wear the jacket of man who really deserved to wear that jacket.

What you see in the picture is an M-422a, the predecessor to the G-1, of Top Gun fame, and a restored life vest. The makers have gone to great length to recreate the original. The leather is goat, the lining is rayon, the collar is mouton, the knittings are wool and the zipper is an original period old stock. As with all my jackets, it is custom made and the name plate is exactly like the ones used in 1945. I also refrain from using rank insignia because I never was a Captain.

Old 27 May 2006, 06:13 AM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Cool stuff Frans.
My dad was in WW II, I have a few "trinkets" from what he brought home from being Overseas ( overseas to Canadians is diff than for Euro's)
I think somewhere around, I still have his commanders duffle bag. The two of them were the only 2 to return from one particular mission & they traded duffle bags.
No lightweight nylon, these things were heavy on there own. I can only imagine what they went through packing there belongins with them in these canvas packs.
Sorry Frans, no jackets for you.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 06:14 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:14 PM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 06:19 AM   #4
Atomic

Nice Frans. I think I've told you before, but I have a small collection of pilot's wings, among which are RAF, RCAF, RAF bomb-aimer, RCN Paratroop, etc.

I also have my dad's Korean War RCAF summer khaki dress and winter short jacket uniforms. That stuff is pretty cool to have for sure.

Oh, and I have the 'Canadian' flag (Union Jack) my grandad brought back from WW1, where it flew over the battle fields of Paschendale, Ypres and Vimy Ridge.
Old 27 May 2006, 06:27 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Old 27 May 2006, 06:30 AM   #6
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Very cool, Fransie I just bought a G-2 from this website
http://www.uswings.com/index.asp

I also have a horsehide A-2 and a G-1 (no patches). Both are replicas from this website
Probably no where near the quality of yours, but I love them I have my Grandpop's A-2 from WW II,( he was a pilot in European theater) but I wouldn't dare wear it. Like you said, aside from the tremendous sentimental value it holds for me, it's something that should be earned
I know them well! Please, could you tell me the make of your Grandfather's A-2? It should be on the label in the neck of the jacket. And the size too.
Old 27 May 2006, 06:34 AM   #7
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Old 27 May 2006, 06:46 AM   #8
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gimmie a minute
Minute's over now
Old 27 May 2006, 06:46 AM   #9
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 30 May 2006 at 03:13 PM..
Old 27 May 2006, 06:50 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Cool hobby Frans. I was thinking about this same topic this morning. I have no other hobbies other than watches and golf, but golf is my job so that doesn't count.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 07:06 AM   #11
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing, Frans. It has a faded black rectangular tag just beneath the collar in the center, but it's blank and a small white, maybe almost as wide as a matchbook cover, tag on the seem of the left sleeve in the armpit area. It's rolled up and again, blank.
That second thing doesn't sound good to me, I'll PM you over this but don't stay awake I've just poured myself a second Westmalle Double. Oh, how nice and quit my evenings can be
Old 27 May 2006, 07:13 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Nice hobby Frans always been interested in military memorabilia with myself it was watches,but had to let most go.But going to see a collection today if price is right might be back in business.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 02:50 AM   #13
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

This is a Japanese replica of a 1947 L-2 by American Pad & Textile. It were the first nylon jackets made. Note the nameplate behind some kind of plastic, velcro wasn't invented yet. Shoulder patch is a period original.

Old 28 May 2006, 04:33 AM   #14
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
This is a Japanese replica of a 1947 L-2 by American Pad & Textile. It were the first nylon jackets made. Note the nameplate behind some kind of plastic, velcro wasn't invented yet. Shoulder patch is a period original.
Wonderful hobby, Frans. I was Air Force, and the jacket pictured is almost identical to the flight jacket I was issued in the late 1960's. I still have it, but definitely cannot fit into it any longer (wonder why). It was heavily lined, but the lining could not be removed. Too hot to wear most of the time here in Florida.

Congrats on your excellent collection.
Old 28 May 2006, 04:49 AM   #15
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

This one perhaps? 1957 Lion Uniform MA-1. Lined with heavy cotton padding, Crown zippers. Note the difference, no epaulets and no pocket flaps.

Old 28 May 2006, 04:52 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nice collection, Frans....I'm still trying to sieve out some nice pics for you from our museum collection.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 04:52 AM   #17
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
This one perhaps? 1957 Lion Uniform MA-1. Lined with heavy cotton padding, Crown zippers. Note the difference, no epaulets and no pocket flaps.
Yep! That's pretty much the one! Thanks for the pic, Frans. Obviously, like Rolex, when the military gets an item right, it doesn't change much over the years (like the great aviator sunglasses I have from that era).

Excellent!!!
Old 28 May 2006, 04:56 AM   #18
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Nice collection, Frans....I'm still trying to sieve out some nice pics for you from our museum collection.

JJ
Yes JJ, I actually started this thread as a hint to you You finally got it
Old 28 May 2006, 04:57 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Yes JJ, I actually started this thread as a hint to you You finally got it
I love lions and lion-hearted people like you, Frans!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 06:18 AM   #20
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Great jackets Frans What ever got you interested?
Old 28 May 2006, 06:53 AM   #21
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Great jackets Frans What ever got you interested?
Well, from my first pay I bought, what I thought at that time, a real US flight jacket. Made by Scott of New York. I always liked the styling of the jackets and they are practical. I had the jacket for many, many years but thought nothing of it. Somewhere in 2001 I started to search the Internet for more information about flight jackets. And to my dismay found out that I was wearing a travesty. A non existent mish-mash of different styles. The analogy to Rolex fakes is very apparent here. I saw the light then. I became member of 2 forums (the resemblance is again, apparent) and started to learn. I bought my first jacket, a Rough Wear A-2. (horse hide). I bought some reference works on the subject and more jackets. I have 6 now, a fifties life jacket, a helmet bag, a Nomex flight suit, books, films, catalogues, name tags, bomb tags, etc. The feeling of friendship, the total atmosphere, the congratulations after announcing the purchase of yet another jacket and the odd quarrel are very, very similar to TRF. But this hobby is very expensive, the jackets I own now are worth almost two 16610’s. During and after Anne’s illness I lost interest because I had other things on my mind and I’m a stranger on the forums now. I still want 2 more jackets and a P-4a helmet and oxy mask. That’s all folks.
Old 28 May 2006, 01:48 PM   #22
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I have an Avirex B-3 (http://www.uswings.com/avirex2.asp). It is by far the warmest jacket I own.

I also have a classic horsehide motorcycle jacket from Lost Worlds, Inc., which has an outstanding collection of vintage flight jackets. http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Flight_...Collection.htm
Old 28 May 2006, 05:54 PM   #23
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend
I have an Avirex B-3 (http://www.uswings.com/avirex2.asp). It is by far the warmest jacket I own.

I also have a classic horsehide motorcycle jacket from Lost Worlds, Inc., which has an outstanding collection of vintage flight jackets. http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Flight_...Collection.htm
I see the Lost World's owner is still his grumpy old self. The site is updated but still has that homemade look. His still has a bone to pick with another manufacturer, being accused of making less authentic jackets has hurt him deep in the past.