The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2017, 02:25 AM   #1
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Brothers, brothers... I need help!

My wife has a very special honor approaching - induction into her college athletics hall of fame - and I'm planning a gift.

My first thought is, of course, a watch and, as I've already given her a DJ for our tenth anniv. couple of years back, upgrading to a nicer, newer, DJ (79173 to 179173 with the same specs basically).

Problem is that while I would be psyched to get a surprise "upgrade" on one of my watches the upgrade "effect" might not be as desired as say an upgrade on her diamond earrings (bigger rocks) or a diamond bracelet etc... Don't get me wrong she loves her DJ and wears it proudly daily but probably wouldn't be as excited about a nicer, newer DJ as I would be.

There is however a second component to the gift in that, I could hold onto her DJ rather than get credit on the purchase get it all cleaned up and, as we don't have kids, make that a high school graduation gift for our niece (her goddaughter) in a couple of years. Doing that my wife gets a nicer DJ now and also gets to be the hero to our niece down the road.

Thoughts/ideas are appreciated, thanks!
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:36 AM   #2
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Wow. What sport did she excel in? Was it division 1??
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:38 AM   #3
daytona5000
Banned

These kinds of posts seeking input from others on the most intimate of questions always floors me. Putting aside any notion that the post is more about being braggadocious, which hopefully it is not, may I ask why you're asking strangers for an answer to such a personal question?? First, It's YOUR wife. You know her best. Second, why would you make the task that more difficult trying to sift what will undoubtedly be different thoughts and opinions. Again, it's YOUR wife. Make the call yourself.
daytona5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:40 AM   #4
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Wow. What sport did she excel in? Was it division 1??
Thanks, yes D1, All American in field hockey and lacrosse.
Old 14 April 2017, 02:41 AM   #5
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post
Awesome! Huge congrats!
Old 14 April 2017, 02:41 AM   #6
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona5000 View Post
These kinds of posts seeking input from others on the most intimate of questions always floors me. Putting aside any notion that the post is more about being braggadocious, which hopefully it is not, may I ask why you're asking strangers for an answer to such a personal question?? First, It's YOUR wife. You know her best. Second, why would you make the task that more difficult trying to sift what will undoubtedly be different thoughts and opinions. Again, it's YOUR wife. Make the call yourself.
First post?? LOL
Old 14 April 2017, 02:45 AM   #7
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
wow thats really outstanding congrats from a fellow Long Islander

My wifes 60th birthday is coming up she has no desire for a watch but she has admired the Cartier Love bracelet in white gold so I think thats what I am going to get her.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:49 AM   #8
MyDadsAirKing
"TRF" Member

If your wife is anything like mine, she will will appreciate upgraded diamond ear rings rather than replacing her Rolex.
MyDadsAirKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:52 AM   #9
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
First off, ignore "Mr First post" comments! The boys here will provide some good insight. Whatever watch you get, tell the AD to not fill in the warranty card so you can later offer her to "browse" some other models. That way she can basicly return the watch. Once the card is filled in and swiped, its yours/hers. Its a win win as you give her a watch to celebrate the event and the option for a mulligan. Congrats to you and her!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:53 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
surprise her with a new watch for you, she can bask in its beauty daily.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 02:54 AM   #11
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My thought is that other guys have wives and watches and may have input on the scenario.

Yes, she is my wife and I, of course, have a sense her preference but quite frankly she was way more psyched than I thought she would be when I gave her the watch she has now so I'm just not sure how the upgrade will land. She might go nuts but she might also, inside, feel that I gave her the same gift twice not knowing as much as "we" do about the differences in the upgrade.

She has, inadvertently, expressed a preference for the gold through bracelet and deployment clasp of a 179173 (by commenting on how much she liked that on someone else's watch and wondering why hers wasn't like that). For my wife to even notice that means she really likes it which is why I'm thinking about getting her the newer one.

Another thing I know means a great deal to her is that we have matching DJ's (white, index, jubilee etc...) that we gave as gifts to each other so the "new" one would be the same specs as opposed to a completely different looking watch, all pm, etc... or any variations like that which, would be a great gift, but I know she would not want.

Just wondering if another member might not have been in a situation like this and can offer insight as to how it turned out which would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160324_195938_001.jpg (84.9 KB, 1080 views)
Old 14 April 2017, 02:55 AM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats.. My wife like to pick her own gifts... Surprising her hasn't worked out to my expectations heh. I'd leave the option open for her.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 03:01 AM   #13
daytona5000
Banned

Here's something to think about: Why not take her someplace special, or create something memorable for her? A watch? Earrings? C'mon, they're too easy. And lifeless. Be creative. She'll appreciate it that much more.

Remember, the best things in life aren't THINGS.
Old 14 April 2017, 03:01 AM   #14
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
I bought a 2 carat diamond bezel for a 36 millimeter Rolex datejust for my wife and it was $1,000.

Go to eBay and type in custom Rolex diamond bezel for Rolex diamond bezel and you will find it it is the same guy that has been doing business for years and years.

Straight up for $1,000 it changes the watch and it makes it look that much more impressive and you know women like diamonds.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 03:07 AM   #15
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post
I bought a 2 carat diamond bezel for a 36 millimeter Rolex datejust for my wife and it was $1,000.

Go to eBay and type in custom Rolex diamond bezel for Rolex diamond bezel and you will find it it is the same guy that has been doing business for years and years.

Straight up for $1,000 it changes the watch and it makes it look that much more impressive and you know women like diamonds.
Thanks and while that is a great thought my sister in law (her brother's wife) recently did exactly that to her WG DJ and my wife liked it but said it wasn't something she would want done to her watch.... mostly because she wants ours to stay a "matching" pair...
Old 14 April 2017, 03:08 AM   #16
daytona5000
Banned

Whaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post

So now it's reduced to "Great job on this momentous honor, you should be so proud, as I am of you. Oh by the way, here's your watch with a sparkly bezel I got off ebay." C'mon now, that's sad.
Old 14 April 2017, 03:11 AM   #17
daytona5000
Banned

Good Luck man. You're clearly gonna need it.
Old 14 April 2017, 03:16 AM   #18
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's something to think about: Why not take her someplace special, or create something memorable for her? A watch? Earrings? C'mon, they're too easy. And lifeless. Be creative. She'll appreciate it that much more.

Remember, the best things in life aren't THINGS.
Thanks for your feedback.

My wife went to undergrad in Philadelphia and we, as others, live elsewhere but are, of course, making a family weekend out of the induction ceremony with family and friends/teammates, etc... coming in to Philly from literally all over the world.

In addition to the ceremony I feel it important to mark the occasion with a special gift... as they say "A crown for every achievement"...
Old 14 April 2017, 03:25 AM   #19
daytona5000
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback.

My wife went to undergrad in Philadelphia and we, as others, live elsewhere but are, of course, making a family weekend out of the induction ceremony with family and friends/teammates, etc... coming in to Philly from literally all over the world.

In addition to the ceremony I feel it important to mark the occasion with a special gift... as they say "A crown for every achievement"...
To each his own. But again, your best bet is to exit this thread and make the call from your heart. No one needs to know what personal gift you give to your wife. Others' input shouldn't even weigh on the decision. Who cares what they gave their wife? They're not married to YOUR wife. It's just all a bit off. You don't see that?
Old 14 April 2017, 04:08 AM   #20
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Just wanted to say, I totally agree with Daytona5000.
It's tough love, but true. There should be a separate section where those who wish to gush about what should I buy, can post.
I started a thread on this issue last week.
For my two penneth worth, If one is given a special gift, it should not be replaced or "upgraded", but added to. After all the DJ you originally gave your wife represented something and holds a great memory. However now when she looks at the upgrade it would represent the replacement of the memory. Not the same at all and for me - crass.
Also don't forget upgraded movements possibly mean nothing to her.
I have many Rolexs and Pateks, but bought my wife a quartz Cartier. Not the choice of any watch aficionado, but as she wanted it, it was my pleasure to buy it for her.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 04:19 AM   #21
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadsAirKing View Post
If your wife is anything like mine, she will will appreciate upgraded diamond ear rings rather than replacing her Rolex.

^^^ This. Diamonds. Always diamonds. Remember - our significant others don't always share our passion for Rolexes. They may appreciate it, even understand it (if we're lucky), but rarely do they feel the same excitement that we feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14 April 2017, 04:28 AM   #22
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
^^^ This. Diamonds. Always diamonds. Remember - our significant others don't always share our passion for Rolexes. They may appreciate it, even understand it (if we're lucky), but rarely do they feel the same excitement that we feel.

Thank you, this is solid advice, much appreciated!
Old 14 April 2017, 04:32 AM   #23
jcr847
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post

Seems like several people beat me to it. The answer is always diamonds. Unless you're wife is a watch nut, which it doesn't sound like she is, diamonds are the correct answer.
jcr847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 04:36 AM   #24
esscaster
"TRF" Member

if she had it for a while than the watch may have sentimental value the way it is. I'd go for the diamonds
esscaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 04:37 AM   #25
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Brothers, brothers... I need help!

My wife has been on a multi-year campaign to spiff me up. Progress is slow but she says she's in it for the long haul. She loves that I traded my bulky (and never worn) DSSD for my GMT2 Pepsi but her feelings are mostly for the style upgrade and cachet of Rolex back on my wrist. My daily watch has been an Omega Sea master for years. She'll never understand how I've coveted this particular watch since 1980 or how I geek out every morning when I put it on.

Old 14 April 2017, 05:32 AM   #26
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
My thought is that other guys have wives and watches and may have input on the scenario.

Yes, she is my wife and I, of course, have a sense her preference but quite frankly she was way more psyched than I thought she would be when I gave her the watch she has now so I'm just not sure how the upgrade will land. She might go nuts but she might also, inside, feel that I gave her the same gift twice not knowing as much as "we" do about the differences in the upgrade.

She has, inadvertently, expressed a preference for the gold through bracelet and deployment clasp of a 179173 (by commenting on how much she liked that on someone else's watch and wondering why hers wasn't like that). For my wife to even notice that means she really likes it which is why I'm thinking about getting her the newer one.

Another thing I know means a great deal to her is that we have matching DJ's (white, index, jubilee etc...) that we gave as gifts to each other so the "new" one would be the same specs as opposed to a completely different looking watch, all pm, etc... or any variations like that which, would be a great gift, but I know she would not want.

Just wondering if another member might not have been in a situation like this and can offer insight as to how it turned out which would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
My wife appreciates her luxury watches, but she would place diamond jewelry above new watches on her wish list all day every day. Quite a bit above, actually. As in "Why would I want another watch when I already have a Rolex and ..."

You can't go wrong with diamonds. Ever. ;)
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 05:45 AM   #27
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
My wife appreciates her luxury watches, but she would place diamond jewelry above new watches on her wish list all day every day. Quite a bit above, actually. As in "Why would I want another watch when I already have a Rolex and ..."

You can't go wrong with diamonds. Ever. ;)
Exactly why I sought the counsel of this brotherhood, I'm hearing you loud and clear on this.

Seems like while I think a newer, nicer, Rolex is a great gift there could be the, as you say, "I already have a Rolex" look on her face when she opens the box with me having to explain "but oh, no honey this one has a nicer bracelet and better movement, etc...".

Somewhat like lingerie, a new watch could be more for me than her.

My watch guy is not going to be real happy to hear it but could be that jewelry is the way to go, may take a look at a bracelet or necklace... thanks!
Old 14 April 2017, 10:32 AM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Exactly why I sought the counsel of this brotherhood, I'm hearing you loud and clear on this.

Seems like while I think a newer, nicer, Rolex is a great gift there could be the, as you say, "I already have a Rolex" look on her face when she opens the box with me having to explain "but oh, no honey this one has a nicer bracelet and better movement, etc...".

Somewhat like lingerie, a new watch could be more for me than her.
My watch guy is not going to be real happy to hear it but could be that jewelry is the way to go, may take a look at a bracelet or necklace... thanks!
Never a truer word...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 12:12 PM   #29
vtprose
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub TT Sub
Daytona 5000 you are my hero. I echo everything you say.
vtprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2017, 12:55 PM   #30
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
She probably holds so sentiment for the anniversary gift so not smart to remove it from her wardrobe. Just my .02. If she would prefer the stones get them instead.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote