The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2017, 08:57 AM   #1
ireachmike
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16570 (Explorer ii) vs 116610LV (Hulk)

Hello forum members....
I need your help in setting my head straight.

I am currently gushing over 2 Rolex watches! This will be my first ever Rolex and I am looking for an every day watch I can wear to the office, outdoor activities/gym, and that will look good on a bracelet and a strap.

I am torn between the 16570 (previous Explorer ii) and the 116610LV (hulk)

I am looking for a watch I can take anywhere and lasts (I don't baby my watches) and won't look odd on my 6.75 wrists.

Which one would you recommend? Which would make a good first Rolex? What about the height of the watches, are they more or less the same? I ask because sometimes I wear a suit and need sometime that can fit under a shirt sleeve.

In a perfect work I would get both.... and maybe in the future, I hope I do. But which one would be better to get first?

I appreciate very much your help and suggestions! Thank you so much for your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ireachmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:09 AM   #2
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Even though I love the 'hulk' ---

I would go with 16570 as an all arounder and your first. I found the 6 digit Sub bulky on my wrists which are same size as yours.

The 5 digit explorer will be more comfortable and more of a take anywhere, fly under the radar watch.

I believe the hulk is also taller. Make sure to try on the 6 digit sub / hulk for comfort if you can.

Good luck and keep us posted!
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:13 AM   #3
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

When in doubt, go with the sub. It's bulletproof, and looks darn good while at it too.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:27 AM   #4
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
I own the Hulk and was looking to get the polar explorer as my second Rolex. Ended up trying it and it did nothing for me. Looked like a toy in fact. Wasn't even comfortable (something about the case looked awkwardly big for a 40mm, most likely the sloped bezel). Try it on.

Ended up buying a 16610 sub and it is ten times more comfortable as well as being ten times more functional (GMT does nothing for me).

Now I just have to scratch that white dial itch... incoming soon!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The Sub is the definition of a go-anywhere watch. The LVc sure makes it pop so it's flashier than the standard black. Heck, I dove with a TT Bluesy for 15 years so you won't have any issues with a SS Hulk. It's a personal style choice but the Sub is the king for a reason.

Old 23 June 2017, 09:28 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I love the LVc, it's a forum favourite and likely next for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:47 AM   #7
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Get the Hulk!!! Im in the process of getting one myself!
Old 23 June 2017, 11:22 AM   #8
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was debating between these two exact references awhile back. Went with the hulk and have absolutely zero regrets! You will love it!

Recently took it to Hawaii and it joined me for all my water activities. Durable as hell and a great vacation / all-rounder watch. Definitely one of my favorite and go to in the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

I had a polar 16570 for over a year and flipped it for an LVc five years ago. Haven't regretted it for one second and still love my 116610LV.

Sunburst dial + ceramic bezel insert + glidelock + Submariner = perfect combo for me.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:43 AM   #10
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Hulk, easy answers. Better in almost every way except price. But understand that even though it's more expensive, it will retail it's value and become a future collectible.
Old 23 June 2017, 11:48 AM   #11
ireachmike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I had a polar 16570 for over a year and flipped it for an LVc five years ago. Haven't regretted it for one second and still love my 116610LV.

Sunburst dial + ceramic bezel insert + glidelock + Submariner = perfect combo for me.

Thank you for your suggestion Cru Jones!! Did you notice any difference in how the Hulk wears compared to the Explorer 2?

I heard that the Explorer rides lower on the wrist than the Hulk, is that true???

Old 23 June 2017, 12:10 PM   #12
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I have to say..the 16570 is great especially polar....but the lvc just kills it with a more interesting dial...I'd pick the lvc unless you needed the gmt complication or can't accept the maxi case. My wrist size is slightly smaller than your size..don't think either would look odd...but case wise the 5 digit wears nicer.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireachmike View Post
Thank you for your suggestion Cru Jones!! Did you notice any difference in how the Hulk wears compared to the Explorer 2?

I heard that the Explorer rides lower on the wrist than the Hulk, is that true???

Most importantly, it comes down to wrist shape (flat or round?). But, if one is comfortable, I find it hard to believe the other will be uncomfortable (from my experience, they both wear great). They really are pretty similar, size-wise. This isn't a comparion of a 14060 vs a DSSD. The 16570 is a tiny bit lighter and thinner, if that matters to you. For me, it doesn't, as these are sports watches and all the pros of the LVc far outweigh any pros of the 16570.

Good luck with your choice!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:42 PM   #14
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
No doubt, the 16570 is just perfect for what you've described in your OP. The Polar Exp II is a special watch, unique in that it is a white dialed Rolex sports model, that is absolutely tough as nails. Such a comfortable watch to wear actively too.
Like you said, you can always get a Sub later to mix it up. Good luck!
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 01:31 PM   #15
ireachmike
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for all your great comments!!!! I appreciate them very much!

As a side question.... I can't find the answer anywhere else, for either watch, does the the date automatically adjust to a month that has 30 or 31 days? Like a perpetual calendar? Or do you have to manually change the date?

Also, I have seen some videos of Rolex's where you can change the hour hand, while the minute and seconds continue to tick. Very helpful when traveling or changing to Daylight Savings, do either watch have that feature?

Old 23 June 2017, 01:47 PM   #16
bcmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Hulk for sure...
bcmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 03:02 PM   #17
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
These 2 are on different pay grades, go with the one that fits the bill.

Calendar has to be adjusted on short months, apart from the sky dweller no Rolex does perpetual calendar.

Only the GMT / 16570 does that, both watches can hack the movement.
Old 23 June 2017, 03:07 PM   #18
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
I have both - love them both, if I had to choose I'd keep the Hulk.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:29 PM   #19
Doood
"TRF" Member

Hulk now... maybe polar later.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:50 PM   #20
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
Owned the Polar EX II and now the Hulk.

From my personal experience, the EX II felt very comfortable. There were times when I forgot I had it on. It also slips under my cuff easily.

As for the Hulk, it feels a lot more substantial. You always 'feel' the watch on. Some of my dress shirt cuffs get stuck on the watch from time to time.

For your first, I would recommend the Polar. Even though I love the Hulk, the Polar EX II is one of the best bang per buck Rolex at half the price of the Hulk.

Zyfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 10:03 PM   #21
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the Hulk and think that it is a great watch. A favorite here on TFR and in the real world. You get the modern case, lume and glidelock bracelet. Not to mention the beautiful green dial and bezel. The resale on the Hulk's is always strong so if you buy right you will not get hurt in a future trade or sell. If you were talking about the Polar Explorer II in 42 mm I could have a discussion about it but the last generation Explorer II does nothing for me and it is also reflected in the suppressed value of the watches in the secondary market. Go Hulk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161223_154547.jpg (171.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 20170218_120636.jpg (241.0 KB, 137 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:00 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyfon View Post
Owned the Polar EX II and now the Hulk.

From my personal experience, the EX II felt very comfortable. There were times when I forgot I had it on. It also slips under my cuff easily.

As for the Hulk, it feels a lot more substantial. You always 'feel' the watch on. Some of my dress shirt cuffs get stuck on the watch from time to time.

For your first, I would recommend the Polar. Even though I love the Hulk, the Polar EX II is one of the best bang per buck Rolex at half the price of the Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I own the Hulk and think that it is a great watch. A favorite here on TFR and in the real world. You get the modern case, lume and glidelock bracelet. Not to mention the beautiful green dial and bezel. The resale on the Hulk's is always strong so if you buy right you will not get hurt in a future trade or sell. If you were talking about the Polar Explorer II in 42 mm I could have a discussion about it but the last generation Explorer II does nothing for me and it is also reflected in the suppressed value of the watches in the secondary market. Go Hulk.
Nice pics, LVc for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:41 PM   #23
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Polar Exp would be my choice.
Old 23 June 2017, 11:47 PM   #24
Jaycnyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Addict
Hulk!
Jaycnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:55 PM   #25
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Sub already
Old 24 June 2017, 02:38 AM   #26
ireachmike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post

Beautiful pictures 1William !!!!!
Your making my choice that much more difficult!!!! That Hulk is a true beauty!!!

Old 24 June 2017, 05:35 AM   #27
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I love the LVC-Hulk, but I have a Sub 114060, so the 16570 is next on my list. Hulk might be later for me.