The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 May 2018, 12:28 PM   #1
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Seeking opinion on black 16550 Explorer II

Hi TRF, long time lurker seeking some opinions on this black 16550 Explorer II. R Serial number so 1987 model. Looks like the bezel is original (or at least fat font still). My guess is that the hands and dial have been replaced at the same time for a lumoniva variant, and that the bracelet is also not original but maybe a 16570 bracelet.

I understand we are living in a time where sports models are very expensive, but unsure if prices will ever drop back down. Price on this watch is $6500 at a Tourneau (allowing 30 months no interest payments). Opinions would be appreciated. Pictures below:

http://imgur.com/a/bU7VcEM

sipy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:31 PM   #2
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Also, can’t tell if this is considered a heavy or light polish job. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 20 May 2018, 01:21 PM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Please don't. Over priced, and the best parts _ the tritium dial and hands _ are long gone.

If you're looking for this model, all-original examples are out there for less, and I'd never buy from Tourneau anyway. Not the best place to shop for classic/vintage watches. Try some of the respected dealers often mentioned on this forum.

Good luck.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:35 PM   #4
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Please don't. Over priced, and the best parts _ the tritium dial and hands _ are long gone.

If you're looking for this model, all-original examples are out there for less, and I'd never buy from Tourneau anyway. Not the best place to shop for classic/vintage watches. Try some of the respected dealers often mentioned on this forum.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input. What would an all original example normally run these days?
Old 20 May 2018, 03:27 PM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipy26 View Post
Thanks for the input. What would an all original example normally run these days?
You need to shop around and do research. Look at HQ Milton, Lunaroyster, sale listings here, listings over on VRF, Chrono24 and even completed listings on Ebay (research only). And Google, of course.

I'd say in the $6K range without box and papers.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:29 PM   #6
brand_c
"TRF" Member

But hey, if cost isn’t an issue, want functional lume and a watch that’s already serviced...why not just buy it from Torneau.

Frankly if you don’t care about patina, service dial and hands are great. Plus you’d be getting the nice fat font bezel that 16570 doesn’t have.

How much discount are they willing to give?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brand_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:20 AM   #7
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Dial and Hans have been changed ........... pass !
Old 21 May 2018, 02:53 AM   #8
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

The bracelet may be original. The 93150 bracelet was an available option on Exp2's and GMT's during this period. You would need to check the date stamp on the clasp to see if it (approximately) matches the age of the watch.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 03:02 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand_c View Post
But hey, if cost isn’t an issue, want functional lume and a watch that’s already serviced...why not just buy it from Torneau.

Frankly if you don’t care about patina, service dial and hands are great. Plus you’d be getting the nice fat font bezel that 16570 doesn’t have.

Two big reasons not to buy that watch: Tourneau is awful and that watch has been robbed of any soul you’d want in that reference, IMHO.

If functionality was the only concern, and you like this look, just buy a later 16570 Explorer II, with all its original parts for much less. They are very easy to get in the $5K range.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:53 AM   #10
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input! They’re not budging on price but I haven’t pushed very hard yet. Maybe I can get a hundred or two off the $6500 asking price.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:53 AM   #11
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
The bracelet may be original. The 93150 bracelet was an available option on Exp2's and GMT's during this period. You would need to check the date stamp on the clasp to see if it (approximately) matches the age of the watch.
Did not know this tidbit. Thanks for the info. I’ll call and ask for the date stamp on the clasp!
Old 21 May 2018, 03:55 AM   #12
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Two big reasons not to buy that watch: Tourneau is awful and that watch has been robbed of any soul you’d want in that reference, IMHO.

If functionality was the only concern, and you like this look, just buy a later 16570 Explorer II, with all its original parts for much less. They are very easy to get in the $5K range.
FWIW, the people I’ve been talking with Tourneau weren’t awful people by any stretch. They were salesman sure but were nice and clearly liked/appreciated watches.

Also could not get the fat font bezel and thicker case with a 16570, although would be cheaper indeed.

Last edited by sipy26; 21 May 2018 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: Forgot to address a point
Old 21 May 2018, 05:59 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

While this is some good advice, I would recommend the potential buyer pass as he will surely regret it years down the road.

I would recommend a correct example and you won't regret it.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 07:59 AM   #14
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipy26 View Post
FWIW, the people I’ve been talking with Tourneau weren’t awful people by any stretch. They were salesman sure but were nice and clearly liked/appreciated watches.

Also could not get the fat font bezel and thicker case with a 16570, although would be cheaper indeed.
I didn’t mean to suggest they’re bad people. I’m sure they’re very nice to customers who are looking to spend thousands of dollars.

Tourneau’s vintage watches are almost always over-priced, their examples are usually weak, and their after-sales service is notoriously, yes, awful. I had my own issues with them years ago, but do a search for reviews and you’ll see I’m not alone.
Old 21 May 2018, 08:09 AM   #15
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn’t mean to suggest they’re bad people. I’m sure they’re very nice to customers who are looking to spend thousands of dollars.

Tourneau’s vintage watches are almost always over-priced, their examples are usually weak, and their after-sales service is notoriously, yes, awful. I had my own issues with them years ago, but do a search for reviews and you’ll see I’m not alone.
Noted. Thanks for sharing the personal experience you've had with them.
Old 21 May 2018, 08:11 AM   #16
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
While this is some good advice, I would recommend the potential buyer pass as he will surely regret it years down the road.

I would recommend a correct example and you won't regret it.
Thanks for the rec!
Old 22 May 2018, 01:48 AM   #17
brand_c
"TRF" Member

Also could not get the fat font bezel and thicker case with a 16570, although would be cheaper indeed.[/QUOTE]

Is the case of the 16550 thicker? Was under the impression that is the same as the 16570

brand_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 05:15 AM   #18
albaserver
"TRF" Member

Where are original hands and dial? :-O

I'd leave there...

Instagram: @albaserver
albaserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 08:50 AM   #19
sipy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Is the case of the 16550 thicker? Was under the impression that is the same as the 16570

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the 16550 case is thicker than the 16570. This is one of the appeal of the model, along with the fat font bezel.