The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2016, 10:19 AM   #1
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

Looking for advice on purchasing my first Tudor

Hi everyone! My first post here. I recently became a father to an awesome baby boy. I have always wanted to celebrate this occasion with first purchase of a nice watch. I feel like at this stage in my life - as a 30 year old in financial planning - I do not feel comfortable with a Rolex just yet.

I love dive watches. My current rotation include Orient Mako USA (41.5mm) and a Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro (42mm). The C60 is the all green model, which I love, but is pretty loud, and only wear it from time to time.

With the introduction of Tudor's in-house movement in both the Black Bay and the Pelagos, I have narrowed down my selection between these two beautiful models. (The two specific models I am considering are the Black Bay Blue or the black Pelagos)

Like I said, I work in Financial Planning, and our attire is business casual. I typically wear button down shirts w/out a tie. On occasion wear a suit... (I'm in Southern California) But I would want this to be my "go anywhere" watch - wear it with shorts and a t-shirt, at the beach, in the water, etc.

I feel like both of these watches could operate just fine in this capacity which is making the decision difficult. I like the tool watch design of both watches. Initially I leaned towards the black bay as it appears to be the "nicer" watch. But the Pelagos seems like it may be more impressive (to me, if nothing else).

Please help! Any ideas or recommendations are welcome.
uncle_paul_hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 11:10 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Really not much in it, altho interesting that you go for the blue and black that are more popular here on the other model. Just go with what feels best on your wrist.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 11:13 AM   #3
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_paul_hargis
Buy a Rolex instead. You will thank me later.

Congrats on the baby. He will thank you later.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 11:14 AM   #4
TickTopia
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Buy a Rolex instead. You will thank me later.

Congrats on the baby. He will thank you later.
This
TickTopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 11:17 AM   #5
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Try them both on if you haven't done so already. I originally thought I wanted a Pelagos but once I tried on the Black Bay I was sold. It just looked and felt better on the wrist and, in my opinion, is the more versatile of the two.
I would also consider the Black Bay Black which, I think, is the best looking of them all.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
melrob1
"TRF" Member

I've had the old Pelagos and the new Blue. Both lasted only a couple months. Lived the adjustable bracelet but that's about it. Not aure what it was but just didn't love it. With the type of shirts you ware keep in mind the Pelagos will not fit under the cuff. Lile othera have said I'd step up a couple grand and buy a used Sub no date 114060. You can get a complete set under warrany for less than 6.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
If you think your son will put a lot of value on status, buy a Rolex. If you think he'll value independent thinking and a prudent fiscal lifestyle, like his old man, my guess is he'd be honored to receive a Tudor his father wore.
The Black Bay Blue probably works best considering your job. The Pelagos would be a close second.
Congrats!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 01:49 PM   #8
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the advice so far. The Rolex is probably the better long term option. So would you all recommend a lightly used Rolex as the more commemorative time piece? Could probably afford a newer Explorer I, older Explorer II, older sub, or maybe a new oyster perpetual.
Old 24 June 2016, 01:51 PM   #9
seanneok11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ap,rolex, rolex
Get the bronze tudor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seanneok11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 03:01 PM   #10
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_paul_hargis View Post
Thank you all for the advice so far. The Rolex is probably the better long term option. So would you all recommend a lightly used Rolex as the more commemorative time piece? Could probably afford a newer Explorer I, older Explorer II, older sub, or maybe a new oyster perpetual.
Now you're talking. Two ways to look at this:

1. Buy a new Explorer with your son's birth year on the papers. Commemorates his birth, works out perfectly to hand it off to him in 22 years when he graduates college.

2. Buy a used 16610 Submariner Date which you can get for around $5,000 in like-new condition, won't be his birth year, but you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more than a new Explorer and it'll be worth a pretty penny in 22 years as a vintage classic.

Can't go wrong either way, but get the Submariner, it's the iconic Rolex and the last gen is at a low price now and about to rise sharply in the coming years, it's the perfect time to buy.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 02:08 AM   #11
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
Now you're talking. Two ways to look at this:

1. Buy a new Explorer with your son's birth year on the papers. Commemorates his birth, works out perfectly to hand it off to him in 22 years when he graduates college.

2. Buy a used 16610 Submariner Date which you can get for around $5,000 in like-new condition, won't be his birth year, but you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more than a new Explorer and it'll be worth a pretty penny in 22 years as a vintage classic.

Can't go wrong either way, but get the Submariner, it's the iconic Rolex and the last gen is at a low price now and about to rise sharply in the coming years, it's the perfect time to buy.
Wow, I like either one of those ideas. Ok. I have some thinking and saving to do!
Old 25 June 2016, 02:18 AM   #12
dominic.warren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor LHD
Congrats on the Boy! I also have a suggestion go a little old school like a 16610 or maybe a Tudor sub. Just 2 other options
dominic.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 02:24 AM   #13
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
I love Tudor and will be buying a couple soon. That being said, a 214270 explorer 1 is one of those watches that can be the only watch you ever need and i garuntee you it will be equally if not more impressive by the time it moves to your sons hands. I also agree that a 114060 no date submariner is a good option...you really cant go wrong.

I can also recommend an omega speedmaster as a watch that is another timeless icon at this price point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160622_013021904_HDR.jpg (80.7 KB, 347 views)
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 02:32 AM   #14
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
The black bays are awesome in person. I own a Rolex 216570 explorer II and a tudor heritage Chrono Blue. The Chrono Blue gets WAY more wrist time. They are two very different brands and in my eyes neither is superior to the other from a "wrist presence" standpoint, they are just different. For a daily wearer, the only problem I would see with the black bay is a lack of date, other than that though it is a very versatile watch.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 02:43 AM   #15
bax_tron
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
You don't want to find yourself in a position where a few years from now you want a Rolex but can't sell the Tudor because it has sentimental value. Trust me, you WILL want to upgrade to a Rolex-- especially if you stick around this forum.

I just purchased a 16610, so that is what I would recommend. Your son will still be able to say "my dad bought this the year I was born" regardless of when it was manufactured. I'd go with a new OP if I wanted a true birth year watch.

FWIW: I have owned both Tudor pieces you are considering. The micro adjusting clasp, date complication and generous lume put the Pelagos ahead of the BB for me. Try both on, if that is the route you choose to go.
bax_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 03:18 AM   #16
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax_tron View Post
You don't want to find yourself in a position where a few years from now you want a Rolex but can't sell the Tudor because it has sentimental value. Trust me, you WILL want to upgrade to a Rolex-- especially if you stick around this forum.

I just purchased a 16610, so that is what I would recommend. Your son will still be able to say "my dad bought this the year I was born" regardless of when it was manufactured. I'd go with a new OP if I wanted a true birth year watch.

FWIW: I have owned both Tudor pieces you are considering. The micro adjusting clasp, date complication and generous lume put the Pelagos ahead of the BB for me. Try both on, if that is the route you choose to go.
Thank you for the feedback. Quick question. I do like the 16610 but I also see 16800 in MY birth year (1986). Is the 16610 the better buy? I see one on Bob's Watches for only $100 more than the 16800... I don't know much about the nuances of the various sub generations.
Old 25 June 2016, 04:37 AM   #17
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

I think I may need to post a new thread, and change it from Tudor recommendation to Rolex...
Old 25 June 2016, 04:48 AM   #18
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Hi everyone! My first post here. I recently became a father to an awesome baby boy. I have always wanted to celebrate this occasion with first purchase of a nice watch. I feel like at this stage in my life - as a 30 year old in financial planning - I do not feel comfortable with a Rolex just yet.

I love dive watches. My current rotation include Orient Mako USA (41.5mm) and a Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro (42mm). The C60 is the all green model, which I love, but is pretty loud, and only wear it from time to time.

With the introduction of Tudor's in-house movement in both the Black Bay and the Pelagos, I have narrowed down my selection between these two beautiful models. (The two specific models I am considering are the Black Bay Blue or the black Pelagos)

Like I said, I work in Financial Planning, and our attire is business casual. I typically wear button down shirts w/out a tie. On occasion wear a suit... (I'm in Southern California) But I would want this to be my "go anywhere" watch - wear it with shorts and a t-shirt, at the beach, in the water, etc.

I feel like both of these watches could operate just fine in this capacity which is making the decision difficult. I like the tool watch design of both watches. Initially I leaned towards the black bay as it appears to be the "nicer" watch. But the Pelagos seems like it may be more impressive (to me, if nothing else).

Please help! Any ideas or recommendations are welcome.
Perhaps the BBN would be the ticket; the Pelagos Ti just doesn't have enough sparkle to hold my interest. Congratulations on your son's birth!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 04:52 AM   #19
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Not sure if this means anything to you but I'd get a new watch to commemorate the birth of a child, especially a first born...but that's probably just me.

For myself I got my daughter an Explorer and an Explorer II Polar for my younger son. I think you can't go wrong with these two, and they are a little different from all the diver's watchs you see everyday. I do realize you have said you like diver's but for tugging under a cuff I doubt anything will beat the Explorer without going really dressy.

a watch is meant to be worn
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 05:13 AM   #20
bax_tron
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. Quick question. I do like the 16610 but I also see 16800 in MY birth year (1986). Is the 16610 the better buy? I see one on Bob's Watches for only $100 more than the 16800... I don't know much about the nuances of the various sub generations.
I wouldn't want to steer you one way or another.

I'm sure there are tons of threads on 16800 v 16610, those would be a good place to get more info and owners' opinions. I know the 16610 has a newer movement... and if memory serves me, the 16800 were made with the older steel composition and earlier models do not have the white gold surrounds so the dial has a totally different look to it.

I got a P serial 16610 which dates to year 2000. One of the main reasons is the Luminova indices. I don't know when exactly Rolex made the switch but if you get a sub that is much older than mine (and certainly a 16800), you won't get any glow out of the watch.

Bet most folks on here would say you can't go wrong between the two. As a value proposition, I will leave that to others that know what they're talking about.
bax_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 05:24 AM   #21
liuk3
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't let people pressure you into a more expensive purchase than you intend. The Tudor Black Bay Black or BLack Bay Blue are fine watches to get you intomhorology. Like I tell my friends here in LA, you never know what a person's true financial status is whatever their external adornments. Those people recommending you to buy a Rolex now are not in your shoes and have no idea of your financial status. I saw a guy in LA lease a $1500/month sports car but live with a roommate in a $500/month rent-controlled apartment. Having a kid comes with a lot of expenses so never too early to start saving. I also think people buying a birth year watch for their kids are actually being more selfish than anything trying to justify the purchase of a Rolex. By the time my kids are 21, I would bet that they would rather have the newest watch at the time rather than have some 21 year old used watch. Anyway, have fun shopping and congratulations!
Old 25 June 2016, 05:46 AM   #22
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
If you think your son will put a lot of value on status, buy a Rolex. If you think he'll value independent thinking and a prudent fiscal lifestyle, like his old man, my guess is he'd be honored to receive a Tudor his father wore.
The Black Bay Blue probably works best considering your job. The Pelagos would be a close second.
Congrats!
dP
Totally agree with Dan on this, go for the Tudor Black Bay (just as good as a Rolex in my opinion). Good luck and congratulations on the birth of your son.

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 05:55 AM   #23
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

IMO the only tudor you should consider is the BB... I would go with the black or the blue.

But in your situation, I would pick the Rolex Explorer or Rolex non date sub.

Far better in the long term.
Old 25 June 2016, 06:07 AM   #24
tginther
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos Blue
Since you love dive watches, you really can't go wrong either way. If you decide on Black Bay, I would wait until the new model with in-house movement and rivet bracelet is available. I own the Pelagos Blue with in-house and the movement is fantastic - keeping time to the second after 4 months or so since the last time I re-calibrated.

As was already mentioned, if you want something that's a little more dressy and classic in the vein of the original Submariner, go with the BB. If you want something with a more modern, technical look (and specs to match), then go with the Pelagos.

I'm more the latter, so I couldn't be happier with the Pelagos. I'm on the waiting list for the new BB Blue/Rivet Bracket/In-House for my son who just graduated college. He likes a more dressy, classic look.

You'll love either one!!
tginther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 06:18 AM   #25
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Love my Tudor but I would purchase a preowned Rolex before a new Tudor any day. A preowned Tudor even better! Between the two, I strongly prefer the Black Bay because it looks great on everything from bracelet to NATO, and everything in between.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 07:12 AM   #26
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Have you considered this. A Tudor fluted style. It comes in 38 & 41mm & is reasonably priced.
Attached Images
File Type: png Tudor fluted bezel blue dial.png (72.0 KB, 248 views)

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 07:40 AM   #27
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish

Or this appropriately named piece. They also just released it in a chocolate brown and they all come on a bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 01:58 PM   #28
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Buy the Tudor you like take the difference between that and a submariner and set up a college savings plan. That way in 18 years he will have money to get educated, create a future and afford his own Rolex. Then when he graduates give him the Tudor and tell him the story.
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2016, 03:00 PM   #29
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticknaway View Post
Buy the Tudor you like take the difference between that and a submariner and set up a college savings plan. That way in 18 years he will have money to get educated, create a future and afford his own Rolex. Then when he graduates give him the Tudor and tell him the story.
Haha I like the idea. It's what I do for a living so for sure I'm setting up a 529 plan.
Old 26 June 2016, 12:02 AM   #30
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Both are great watches but for me, Tudor all day long.... Great watch.... Great value....
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote