The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 11 May 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
jands8916

Breitling v Rolex?

Alright, we all know that Rolex and Breitling both produce great watches that are respected by aviators. Most of the big jet captains I meet as part of my career wear either (with most tending to sport GMTs).http://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

How do you think Breitling and Rolex compete at every level? Breitling seems to be sold everywhere and are not as exclusive, which to me cheapens the brand. In addition, their product line is all over the map, like TAG.

Your thoughts?
jands8916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 05:37 PM   #2
applebook
"TRF" Member

Breitling, IMO, is below Rolex and OMEGA when it comes to movements, history, and iconic designs.
Old 11 May 2008, 07:57 PM   #3
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Breitling actually tests every movement they make, not just a sampling of them. I find them #3, with Rolex being #2 and Panerai being #1.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2009, 12:23 PM   #4
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Breitling actually tests every movement they make, not just a sampling of them. I find them #3, with Rolex being #2 and Panerai being #1.
Curious chronology you have there. How would Panerai earn the top spot out of the three? They may be more rare, more expensive, but do not seem to have the history achievement/associations of Rolex and Omega. Do they?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 02:57 PM   #5
mywifespissed
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC cal 852
Quote:
I imagine you mean among sporty watches. Because the world is filled with way more exclusive, and completely hand-finished and hand-built watches than Rolex or Breitling. Rolex is so overproduced, like Porsche, it surprises me they still turn heads. The good fakes are getting better and better too, making the real thing almost impossible to spot at a glance. I do like the Rolex brand, and have one now and have had many in the past. But if I could afford it, a Breguet, Vacheron or Patek would be a finer and more interesting watch to own, IMO. Also, as a watchmaker, over the last three years or so I have seen five seperate Rolex watches that have had scarred movements as a result of screws backing out. With no other brand except "mushroom" wanna-be luxury brands have I seen this. And I'm refering to virgin Rolex movements i.e. watches less than 10 years old and never serviced. I think it's because Rolex polishes the entire screw including the threads, which makes them slippery and prone to backing out. And they MUST lose that weight axle. In ten to fifteen years it's shot, and tends to leave marks on the autowinding bridge. Use ball bearings like most other brands.
mywifespissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:43 AM   #6
Duckman25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been wanting to get a Paneria 312 Luminor for quite some time as it is one of the few panerais I find worth the money.
Duckman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 08:22 AM   #7
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
rolex ofcourse is more historical, with omega also in the line. IMHO, the problem with breitling is that where rolex and omega make sport as well as dress watches, breitling makes ALL chunky, tool watches, with the one exception of the new flying B among its LARGE collection of models. its a very 'functional' looknig watch that is treasured very well too :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 10:28 AM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
rolex ofcourse is more historical, with omega also in the line. IMHO, the problem with breitling is that where rolex and omega make sport as well as dress watches, breitling makes ALL chunky, tool watches, with the one exception of the new flying B among its LARGE collection of models. its a very 'functional' looknig watch that is treasured very well too :)
Yeah, all it boils down to in the end is personal prefrence. Which ever brand make the owner most happy will be their number 1 brand indeed. Breitling is amazing and I used to love the "All in one watch" but prefer balance. My SeaMaster or a Rolex Oyster are ideal for any setting. Not saying I wouldn't wear a Breitling but you know.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 11:25 AM   #9
stripec30
"TRF" Member

IMO Breitling seems like a better bang-for-your-buck, where as Rolex is a better investment.
stripec30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 12:04 PM   #10
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I'm an equal opportunity watch owner, whatever makes me smile, I will own. That includes a Breitling - and I don't believe it cheapens the brand at all, if its sold at more locations than say Rolex. They just have more distribution, that's all.
Old 8 June 2008, 01:10 PM   #11
cmr
"TRF" Member

breitling makes the most robust chronos you can buy as far as i am concerned. that is what they specialize in and it shows, they are right behind rolex for my favorite watch.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 07:55 AM   #12
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
I'm an equal opportunity watch owner, whatever makes me smile, I will own. That includes a Breitling - and I don't believe it cheapens the brand at all, if its sold at more locations than say Rolex. They just have more distribution, that's all.
Ditto, I liked and bought a SS blue Superocean Heritage II 42 on the mesh bracelet
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2008, 02:06 PM   #13
Thomas Carey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripec30 View Post
IMO Breitling seems like a better bang-for-your-buck, where as Rolex is a better investment.
I agree Rolex really holds up well typically as an investment. Especially when compared to just about any other brand. But Breitling does give you a lot of value. Especially their entry level models.

That being said I very much agree with the sentiment. That this really is like comparing apples and oranges. I have never thought of the two as catering to the same market really.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2021, 10:49 AM   #14
Duckman25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Carey View Post
I agree Rolex really holds up well typically as an investment. Especially when compared to just about any other brand. But Breitling does give you a lot of value. Especially their entry level models.

That being said I very much agree with the sentiment. That this really is like comparing apples and oranges. I have never thought of the two as catering to the same market really.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
I guess it is just me but rolexes are becoming too mass produced. In fact, a good friend of mine told me that the fakes are getting so good with rolex that it almost makes me wonder if my ability to buy a rolex is getting more limited in part to guard against a potential fake.

That being said, I am more of a breitling guy in this case in part due to their partnership with Bentley as Bentley is my favorite automotive brand (yes beats out rolls!) Thankfully the market isn't getting too saturated with Breitling but never know what will happen down the road.
Duckman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 07:52 AM   #15
dcourtenayt
2024 Pledge Member

I agree, Breitlings lose their value much more than Rolex. Rolex seems to stay the same or even increase in value.
dcourtenayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 08:48 PM   #16
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripec30 View Post
This.

Honestly Rolex is a marketing company. If you don’t know a thing about watches you know Rolex. Many of the models are great to own IF you get them at MSRP because you can wear it for years and the value actually goes up.

To the watch aficionado they will talk movements etc etc. From a keeping time the best which SHOULD be about the movement it is all over the board. My best time keepers by far is a Breitling and a Panerai. Even within the brand though this can be different.

A watch tells time (and a few other things) plain and simple. Buy what you like. At the end of the day I own a bunch of different brands; Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Tag, Panerai, Doxa, Bell & Ross and a few other cheaper brands. I find myself wearing the Rolex. FOR ME the Rolex is just a good every day watch. To put on the others like the Monaco or the square BR or the bright orange faced Doxa I have to be “in the mood”.

Honestly though if I personally ranked these watches here is how I would rank brands taking an all inclusive approach and this is my opinion not the worlds.
1. Patek and is a far and away number 1. The grail, the king of wrist watches.
2. A distant 2 would be Rolex and AP. Still up there in the top dog world of watches but no Patek
3. Barely a 3 by itself is Omega.
3.5 Would be the Breitling, BR, Tag etc. These to me are the brands that become the upper brands for not a huge watch fan but wants a nice watch. I have a friend that is not a watch guy at all but he is wealthy and just wants a “nice watch”. He bought a Tag.
6. Many others and a big drop off from the above. This is where I would put Seiko (yeah I know the Grand Seiko fans will flame this one) Citizen etc
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2008, 08:31 PM   #17
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Breitling, IMHO, cannot be compared to Rolex (because of it`s heritage and status), but it surely can be compared with brands such as Omega, Longines, Fortis, even maybe IWC (not including Grand Complications, of course).
I had Breitling for short time and it was amazing watch, both in the terms of quality and accuracy. It was even more accurate than my Rolex Explorer II!
All Breitling`s are COSC certified, and their quartz movement (named Superquartz), too, making it ONLY quartz in the world that has that famous certificate...

Yeah, Breitling is worth of having...
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 08:34 AM   #18
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I beleive that Breitling has overtaken Omega as a watch to want.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 09:24 AM   #19
WJGESQ
Banned

Breitling Equals Mall Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I beleive that Breitling has overtaken Omega as a watch to want.
You would just be wrong. Seriously. IMOP.

Omega's have the style, reputation, function, heritage and very broad appeal. The Seamasters and Speedmasters are highly sought after. Breitling will be a mall watch like Movado is a few years.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 09:32 AM   #20
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 10:36 AM   #21
^fai^

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
Hi Sin Nombre,

I know how you feel...

I myself don't feel good in those bling bling bracelet.
Therefore I go for this, it looks bulky but it's light.

^fai^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 01:25 AM   #22
wgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 000
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I think Breitling is "missing the boat" by not offering more models with an all brushed finish, especially with the sportier models. In my opinion they would experience a boost in sales with more brushed surfaced watches. I would hop on the Breitling train if they did it...
wgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 04:16 AM   #23
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
This is why I got the Chrono Avenger which was Ti. The old SuperOcean Professional had a brushed SS finish which was nice (BTW, that was my Breitling).

I also had the Steelfish blue dial, it was a nice heavy piece but the Pro II SS wasn't as comfy as the Pro I in Ti.
I agree. Not only is the Pro I more comfortable IMO, I like the look of it a lot better than the Pro II. Again, II seems more dressy which is not the look I'm going for when I sport a watch like a Breitling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgs View Post
I agree with you 100%. I think Breitling is "missing the boat" by not offering more models with an all brushed finish, especially with the sportier models. In my opinion they would experience a boost in sales with more brushed surfaced watches. I would hop on the Breitling train if they did it...
Yep. I eventually bought a Skyland Avenger Blacksteel as the DLC finish was awesome. I liked pretty much everything about the watch except one minor point. The hands just seemed too plain to me and pretty thin...hence the lume wasn't very good (actually, the lume of the markers was pretty week too due to their small size).

Those knocks aside, I was planning on keep the watch for at least a year until I was going to flip to purchase a DSSD (the boss, aka wife, wasn't going to authorize more expansion to my collection in terms of numbers)...but sure enough about a month after I bought it I found a DSSD and had to purchase (this was over a year ago when it wasn't very easy to find a DSSD). So, the Breitling didn't stay in the collection too long. I'm sure I'll get another soon as I've seen a few w/ their new collection that look promising via pictures.

SA vs Sub Date lume:
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 09:31 AM   #24
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Quote:

Yeah I agree with this 100% I would go for them and like a few of there models but the bracelets always look really loose and flimsy I don’t have one but if I were to go down the breitling route I would go for a strap
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 10:53 PM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimboy1974 View Post
Yeah I agree with this 100% I would go for them and like a few of there models but the bracelets always look really loose and flimsy I don’t have one but if I were to go down the breitling route I would go for a strap
It’s that right? Have you tried on a breitling bracelet. I have a 16610 and owned a chronomat and the bracelet was 3 times heavier, no rattle, and the clasp tight and exceptional. Now that was a 2001 chronomat. I also tried on a navitimer bracelet and is was the same. I have found breitling bracelets to be on par if not better than my Rolex bracelets. Better than my omega for sure.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2008, 12:10 PM   #26
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Where else would you get a Breitling and Omega? At a shop in a mall.

I bought both my Omega and Breitlings from an AD located inside a mall.

Breitlings have style and function as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

Omega's have the style, reputation, function, heritage and very broad appeal. The Seamasters and Speedmasters are highly sought after. Breitling will be a mall watch like Movado is a few years.
Old 10 May 2010, 07:36 AM   #27
warp_foo

Watch: Breitling SOHC
Quote:
Where else would you get a Breitling and Omega? At a shop in a mall.

I bought both my Omega and Breitlings from an AD located inside a mall.

Breitlings have style and function as well.
I purchased both of my Rolex watches at a mall. Your point?

m
warp_foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 08:29 PM   #28
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp_foo View Post
I purchased both of my Rolex watches at a mall. Your point?

m
bought my gmt2c and ss daytona at a mall.

Old 11 June 2008, 12:43 PM   #29
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

i would have to respectfully disagree. breitling is a aviation inspired watch and are very big in that circle of life. i live on/am part owner of a private airport and work for boeing on commercial/private jets all day, breitling has completely restored, owns and operates the only flying super connie lockheed C-121C super constellation (L-1049F) left in the world and has the only privately owned jet aerial demonstration team in the world. i don't even know one single person that owns an omega. there are no malls where i live that sell breitling what ever that means, i bought my rolex gmt2c in woodland hills mall at reed's jewelers. i can buy a omega at sam's wholesale but i have to go to moody's jewelers to get a breitling. when you enter into the world of aviation breitling has more history and heritage than any other watchmaker that i am aware of.

enjoy,

super connie,

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

it's time to kick the tires and light the fires, turn and burn baby,

http://www.dailymotion.com/el-torro-...t-team_extreme

Old 23 July 2009, 12:45 PM   #30
Ecam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM240
i agree.......

in the aviation industrie, breitlings are the watch we would dream of. the rolex just has that status quo in the general community.

both are great watches, especially the ones with gmt (for rolex)

i wear a breitling to work. and my pam for my casual watch.

ive been wanting the explorer II, but i see a lot of people wearing them. it has become a common watch to see. now im thinking of the gmt 2. lets see.......

just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
i would have to respectfully disagree. breitling is a aviation inspired watch and are very big in that circle of life. i live on/am part owner of a private airport and work for boeing on commercial/private jets all day, breitling has completely restored, owns and operates the only flying super connie lockheed C-121C super constellation (L-1049F) left in the world and has the only privately owned jet aerial demonstration team in the world. i don't even know one single person that owns an omega. there are no malls where i live that sell breitling what ever that means, i bought my rolex gmt2c in woodland hills mall at reed's jewelers. i can buy a omega at sam's wholesale but i have to go to moody's jewelers to get a breitling. when you enter into the world of aviation breitling has more history and heritage than any other watchmaker that i am aware of.

enjoy,

super connie,

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

it's time to kick the tires and light the fires, turn and burn baby,

http://www.dailymotion.com/el-torro-...t-team_extreme
Ecam is offline   Reply With Quote