The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 October 2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Hipster Doofus
"TRF" Member

So they just unleashed a new LX range featuring Spring Drive and boatloads of bloat with not a lot of inspiration. This is not helpful.

I just can't get away from the idea that they should adapt the SKX00x or SKX01x and issue it with spring drive. I'm no Seiko historian but that illustrates my point: to me and most others (who probably know even less about Seiko) it's their iconic diver that is recognisable the world over, going back decades.

Why not marry their premium, exclusive iconic technology with their iconic diver? Stay true to your heritage and issue something that you know the market actually likes, all in one motion?

I could forgive them an extra 1mm here and there on the 40-20-12 equation if it was an SKX-style case. Do a straight SKX drop in and label it Seiko or GS-it up a bit and label it GS. I don't care. I would probably be much more likely to instabuy something like that than something that was trying a bit too hard to be a submariner.
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 04:16 PM   #32
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Add me to the list of those waiting for a smaller option. I could even live with a 42mm. The 44mm diver does definitely wear smaller, and I could pull it off but I feel like Grand Seiko has some refining to do to earn my money. That model released in 2008 so I'd like to see a smaller size, refined clasp, maybe updated bracelet, ceramic bezel, etc...
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 09:00 PM   #33
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
I too used to belong to the school of thought that a 44 mm GS sport watch is too much for my 17 cm wrist.
But over the years I had the opportunity to try on the SBGA029/229 on several occasions.
And every time I was amazed how well and comfortably it fit my wrist.

Some years ago I came very close to getting one but decided for the SLA017 instead.

However, recently I bought a 44.5 mm sports GS and am wearing it constantly. It fits like a dream.
The L-L corresponds with my 41 mm JLC watch and it wears as such.

The bezel measures 43.1 mm and although it shows as a large watch it stays perfectly within my norm of what I can wear.

This is coming from someone who loves his 36mm Rolex TOG.

Also, I used to own a AP ROO 42mm and that one was definitely too large for me. I tried to love it but the L-L was just too much.

So, I wouldn't dismiss these large sport watches from GS. I have no idea if and when they'll ever release a small size. I fear they'll stick with the size they think a sport watch should be and look like. And honestly, I can agree with them. They make a large watch wear perfectly fine for most everyone.
Old 3 November 2019, 10:27 PM   #34
DVR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
That model released in 2008 so I'd like to see a smaller size, refined clasp, maybe updated bracelet, ceramic bezel, etc...
FYI : https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=706556

I would hope the ceramic bezel will be never happening, would love to see a dive watch with a sapphire/lumed bezel though.
Don't know if that will pass GS idea of functionality but one can hope.

And about the clasp, imo it is perfect. It is beautifully executed and it also offers the perfect counter balance to the head.
And important for a dive watch, much easier to adjust compared to a 116610 and the like. It might be a mute point as these watches are not used for diving anymore but than again, we all want to be able to go 200m or preferably 300m deep also.

I do not get your 2008 remark, the current Rolex Sub was also launched in 2008.
Old 3 November 2019, 11:24 PM   #35
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
I too used to belong to the school of thought that a 44 mm GS sport watch is too much for my 17 cm wrist.
But over the years I had the opportunity to try on the SBGA029/229 on several occasions.
And every time I was amazed how well and comfortably it fit my wrist.

Some years ago I came very close to getting one but decided for the SLA017 instead.

However, recently I bought a 44.5 mm sports GS and am wearing it constantly. It fits like a dream.
The L-L corresponds with my 41 mm JLC watch and it wears as such.

The bezel measures 43.1 mm and although it shows as a large watch it stays perfectly within my norm of what I can wear.

This is coming from someone who loves his 36mm Rolex TOG.

Also, I used to own a AP ROO 42mm and that one was definitely too large for me. I tried to love it but the L-L was just too much.

So, I wouldn't dismiss these large sport watches from GS. I have no idea if and when they'll ever release a small size. I fear they'll stick with the size they think a sport watch should be and look like. And honestly, I can agree with them. They make a large watch wear perfectly fine for most everyone.
I am in total agreement with this, the lug size that are used on the GS divers seems to "shrink" the watch down to a manageable size, as I have said before, I have a 6.5 inch wrist and my sweet spot seems to be between 37 and 39mm but am more than comfortable with the larger GS divers.

I implore people to (where possible) try them on rather than looking at size specs on a sheet, it is pleasantly surprising.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 01:20 AM   #36
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Not fussy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
Shall we get a petition going and send it to Seiko?
I’d also like their Ladies watches to be bigger than their usual 29-30 mm. I guess I’m just fussy :)
On target.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 04:49 PM   #37
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
FYI : https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=706556

I would hope the ceramic bezel will be never happening, would love to see a dive watch with a sapphire/lumed bezel though.
Don't know if that will pass GS idea of functionality but one can hope.

And about the clasp, imo it is perfect. It is beautifully executed and it also offers the perfect counter balance to the head.
And important for a dive watch, much easier to adjust compared to a 116610 and the like. It might be a mute point as these watches are not used for diving anymore but than again, we all want to be able to go 200m or preferably 300m deep also.

I do not get your 2008 remark, the current Rolex Sub was also launched in 2008.
The current Sub needs an update as well. Watchmaking is a slow evolving art but there are improvements that can be made on both the Sub and Grand Seiko.

Grand Seiko has started to thin out their movements/cases and that evolution can be moved into their diver. Sub can get the updated movement and hopefully they will slim those lugs and go back to more classic proportions.

I agree that the Grand Seiko is a very wearable 44mm watch, even on a smaller wrist. That being said, a lot of us don't want a watch that large even if it is designed to fit a smaller wrist. I'd prefer a 40-42mm.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 05:25 PM   #38
DVR
"TRF" Member

I can understand your last remark. But there is thought behind GS's idea of larger sport watches that are wearable.
If it is not to your liking there are other options. That is so great with watches, there is a vast choice.

Moreover, they say 44+ but in reality it is more like 43. So like a new SD.

The Sub needs an update badly because of those ugly overly wide lugs.
I have worn that watch for 5 years and I got so tired of those aesthetics I sold it.
It was a green sub and sold it in 2017 before prices went through the roof.
Hind sight...
Old 12 November 2019, 06:15 AM   #39
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
For years I have wished for a diver similar to the sbcm023/25 with the perpetual calendar but with GS detail. I’m still waiting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote