The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2005, 02:05 AM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Seiko.

Here are a couple of other relevant points relating to Seiko's development as a major player........

In 1969 Seiko produced the world's first automatic column-wheel chronograph, beating both the Breitling-led development group and Zenith-Movado to market. These chronographs were very popular with American airmen and other military units, as were the Diver watches. Sold under the Speed Timer and Seiko 5 Sports Chrono names -- among others -- they featured one or two sub dials, and had day and date guichet displays. It is these watches, the Seiko 5s, Divers and chronographs, when brought back by US servicemen serving in Vietnam, that finally introduced Seiko to the US consumer.

And it's almost impossible to find any detail about the last Observatory Chronometer competition held in Neuchatel in 1967, probably because Seiko destroyed the Swiss, and the competition was never held again. Girard-Perregaux won the competition with a specially constructed one off movement, and Seiko came second with a standard straight of production Grand Seiko.

In 1971 observatory competitions in Neuchâtel were suspended indefinitely after a petition and then the threat of boycott by several prestigious Swiss wristwatch manufacturers, because Seiko had begun to dominate the results, winning two years in succession. It wasn't the arrival of quartz which brought mechanical accuracy competitions in Switzerland to an end, but losing a fair fight to Japan.
(ref:http://www.timezone.com/library/cjrml/cjrml0023 - 03/10/05)

For better or worse IMO, Seiko's are pretty rugged watches, The "Kalashnikov's of the watch world". There is a place for them in WISdom.

The well-known workhorse Citizen Miyota movement is worthy of a mention,and
I would rate them on par,with a reputation for very long life without servicing, and extremely robust. They can also be manually wound which is irritatingly absent, in some Seiko movements like the 7S26 and can easily
be regulated to COSC standards.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 02:13 AM   #2
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
during my time in the military I observed alot of Seiko divers on the wrists of many people senior to me. I myself wore a Casio G-shock for many years but, having to replace battries did make me feel ill when I needed the time at oh-dark-thrity with no battry at hand the watch took a hike needless to say!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2005, 03:08 AM   #3
mamas
"TRF" Member

interesting thread..wish these observatory competritions were restarted again.. would make for some great interest
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2005, 07:43 AM   #4
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey Padi,

I used my watch when I was in the Army.Recently sold it on Ebay to a US Cavalary Sodier in Iraq.

It was a Seiko Diver 7002-7001 and boy it was robust.Lume sucked but other than that it was great.

AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2005, 06:50 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Should have kept it they are now increaseing in value,here is a picture
of my 6309

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote