The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2011, 02:16 AM   #211
conrail
"TRF" Member

I've owned Breitling, Rolex and Omega. I echo what someone else said. Rolex on resale value, Breitling on value, and Omega is just plain cool :)
Old 26 January 2011, 02:05 PM   #212
Montexn

Watch: All of them
I own Breitlings, Omegas, and Rolexes...not too mention a few more brands to boot. I don't really compare them to each other one on one, but weigh them individually for what they are.

In the styling department I would have to agree that most Rolexes tend to be more formal or on the dressier side, while Breitling tends to be styled for more of a daily wearer. That being said, both brands can be dressed up or down to meet the need of the occasion.

In the resale area of things, Rolexes do tend to hold their value a bit better than Breitling, probably due to the iconic status symbol they tend to be viewed as by the general public, but that is just a theory on my part. I think Breitling offers a better bang for the buck over Rolex and provides the owner with a prestigious time piece that they can be just as proud of.

As for in-house movements, Rolex holds the trump in that department with all their movements, parts, and pieces made exclusively by them. On the other hand Breitling does not currently make but one in-house movement and the rest of their movements are custom overhauls of existing ETA and Valjoux movements. This trend will probably change with Swatch Groups decision to halt providing outside makers with finished movements.

In either case I love both brands as well as others available and I don't see myself ever becoming brand exclusive, because that would limit my opportunities to enjoy a great many other time pieces on the market. It sure would be a boring market if all we had to choose from was one quality brand.
Montexn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2011, 01:53 AM   #213
Dream99
Banned

OK. It must be down to personal taste but When it comes to putting leather straps to either one, the Breitlings wins everytime. I can't think of any Rolex on leather that I personally like, where as Breiltings, nearly all do look sensational whern on leather /Chroc. I own 2 Rolex and no Breitling at the moment but will be getting the LE Navitimer 01 in a week or so. On of course Leather. Collect both I say, they both make sensational watches, why limit yourself?
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 06:20 AM   #214
accutronman
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, GMT IIc
Having a GMT-IIc, a DSSD, an Emergency, an Avenger Seawolf Chrono Blacksteel LE, and a Tudor Hydro 1200 in my collection, I'd have to say that for me Rolex and Breitling are equal. Both produce finely styled and reliable timepieces that bring different functionality to my collection at a reasonable price point which is what I look for.
accutronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2011, 10:59 PM   #215
HOBSONG58
"TRF" Member

I have both Rolex and Breitling and find them both useful and quality.
HOBSONG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2011, 11:40 AM   #216
hsrdoc
"TRF" Member

I like both. But, Brietling is more unique IMO.
hsrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2011, 12:29 PM   #217
bellvederecar
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
it is in the eye of the beholder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lingjust.jpg (94.7 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg lingjust2.jpg (87.4 KB, 472 views)
bellvederecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 12:02 PM   #218
Big Joe

Watch: Rolex GMTII
My Chronomat Evolution is one of the nicest watches I've ever worn. It is beautiful to look at, comfortable on the arm, and runs perfect. I can think of nothing negative about this watch. It is very easy to see in low light situations.

My Navitimer World is equally as incredible but different. It looks larger on the wrist, but really isn't that much bigger. I use the slide rule function from time to time and it just looks incredibly cool. It gets a lot of cool remarks.

My Tag Monaco Ltd Ed is another very nice watch and runs flawlessly. It garners lost of comments as well. My only complaint is it does not have a sapphire crystal, but mineral. That was just like the original and it has not been a problem, but makes me a bit nervous about possibly scratching it. I do love the watch though and the square face is fun.

My Omega Seamaster is the most comfortable watch I've ever put on. It runs great and looks great. This one also gets lots of comments. Probably the most comments from others.

My Rolex Sub 2 tone Blue face is everything it is supposed to be. I wanted this watch for 30 years before getting it and I have loved it every minute. Works flawlessly and looks great.

My Rolex GMTII is my favorite watch overall. I don't know why. Maybe because it is the only one I have with a black face. Maybe because it is a GMT. Maybe because it justs fits my personality. I wear it more than the others and if I had to pick only one watch to own, this would be it. It does not run better than my others, does not look any better, is not always as comfortable, but it just seems to fit my personality more often than the others.

I really don't care which is the best value. They are all great values to me. I don't care about the fashion statement thing or the luxury thing. I Just love Swiss automatic watches. Just having something that cool on my wrist is enough no matter which brand it may be.
Big Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 11:28 PM   #219
amygdala
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM000,183,212,IWC
Anyone here having problems with the steel mesh straps?
amygdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2011, 04:39 AM   #220
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I have both and wouldn't say one is better than the other. Both have a long history and beautiful watches. The cost of entry on a Breitling is certainly easier on the wallet but the resale value of a Rolex is unparalleled
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2011, 09:44 PM   #221
UofRSpider
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Very different watches

A Rolex and a Breitling can't be compared. They are totally different watches. Both wonderful in their own ways. Is Rolex more prestigious? Sure.

I own Tag's, Omega's, a Breitling, 2 Rolex's, and a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece, and love them all for what they are.

I will give Breitling their credit though...my SuperOcean Steelfish is stunning. The craftsmanship is amazing.

Breitling's history is STRONG and still a private company (unlike Panerai and Omega).
UofRSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2011, 02:25 AM   #222
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofRSpider View Post
A Rolex and a Breitling can't be compared. They are totally different watches. Both wonderful in their own ways. Is Rolex more prestigious? Sure.

I own Tag's, Omega's, a Breitling, 2 Rolex's, and a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece, and love them all for what they are.

I will give Breitling their credit though...my SuperOcean Steelfish is stunning. The craftsmanship is amazing.

Breitling's history is STRONG and still a private company (unlike Panerai and Omega).
Breguet, Zenith, IWC, Vacheron Constatin, A Lange & Söhne and Jaeger-LeCoultre are all owned by publicly traded parent companies. All with incredible histories, craftsmanship and still producing world-class product. What was your point about a private company again?
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2011, 10:42 AM   #223
Beeper
"TRF" Member

I really love both, and they are impossible to compare. Different styles for very different purposes. Breitling originally pulled me into this crazy wallet-emptying hobby in the first place, so there's something special about that to me.

Both brands have some watches that I absolutely love, and some that really don't speak to me at all. I agree that some of the Lings are like wearing dinner plates, but they also have some more conservatively sized models that I really love. There's something cool about the Ani-Digi Aerospace, and I love the Chrono Super Ocean, as well as the Trans Ocean. The new Navi 1461, with the Moon Phase and leap year calendar looks nice too. On the other hand, it's hard to beat a GMT, and a WG DD with the awesome blue dial is my grail.

Overall, apples and pears. (Why not change things up a little?)

Since they both make wonderful watches, the only solution is obviously to buy both
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 08:42 AM   #224
unprdctb1e
2024 Pledge Member

Without a doubt, Rolex definintely feels better on the wrist
unprdctb1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 11:18 AM   #225
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
I really love both, and they are impossible to compare. Different styles for very different purposes. Breitling originally pulled me into this crazy wallet-emptying hobby in the first place, so there's something special about that to me.

Both brands have some watches that I absolutely love, and some that really don't speak to me at all. I agree that some of the Lings are like wearing dinner plates, but they also have some more conservatively sized models that I really love. There's something cool about the Ani-Digi Aerospace, and I love the Chrono Super Ocean, as well as the Trans Ocean. The new Navi 1461, with the Moon Phase and leap year calendar looks nice too. On the other hand, it's hard to beat a GMT, and a WG DD with the awesome blue dial is my grail.

Overall, apples and pears. (Why not change things up a little?)

Since they both make wonderful watches, the only solution is obviously to buy both

if you are wanting the dd with a glacier blue dial it is only available in solid platinum, it's not available in 18k wg.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 02:19 PM   #226
Beeper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
if you are wanting the dd with a glacier blue dial it is only available in solid platinum, it's not available in 18k wg.
Sorry, I mean the blue waves dial, which, unless the Rolex website is lying, is available for WG
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 11:30 PM   #227
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
Sorry, I mean the blue waves dial, which, unless the Rolex website is lying, is available for WG
yes, the waves dial is available with gold. i would really love to have a yg dd with a black dial and diamond markers but i don't want to sell anything to fund it...... i'll just have to keep saving. i hope you have better luck than i because i'm not making much headway.........

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2011, 02:15 PM   #228
Geronomo12
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Amalfi Platinu
When comparing watches & companies that make them, I think you have to look at history and lineage. When I think of movements, I think Rolex for waterpoof, Zenith for Chronographs, Patek for Grand Complications. Breitling has done a fine job packaging and refining ETA movements in strong durable cases. They make a fine watch. Rolex makes a fine watch completely in-house. They are the pre-eminent manufacturer of well designed and durable everyday watches and as the saying goes, if you were stuck on an island, with only one watch to rely on.......ROLEX would be my choice.
Tag seems to be a big company that doesn't have a clear vision of what it stands for. Heuer before becoming Tag Heuer made some great Chronos, like the Pasadena, with ETA 7750 powering them. They may be back on track in recent years by bringing back the Monaco and getting back to what made them. Look how Omega re-emphasised the Speedmaster line, probably their greatest success.
To sum up, I don't see Breitling as competition for Rolex. I see Rolex on top, Breitling competing beneath them with Omega (who was able to compete with Rolex back in the 60s), and then Tag.
Geronomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2011, 04:24 PM   #229
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I own both and I believe Rolex has the edge in terms of craftsmanship and resale.

However, there are real models to compare so it boils down to which one you like the most, I like both so I own both, simple as that.
Old 25 April 2011, 06:08 AM   #230
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
For the past year I planned on buying the new Rolex Submariner this spring but I dropped by our only Breitling AD last week and found myself admiring a Breitling Blackbird.
Now I find myself trying to decide between the two watches and make the right decision on which one to purchase. Reading through this thread has been very helpful and I think at this moment I am leaning towards the Blackbird (but this could change quickly). I really like the looks of the Blackbird and it would be nice to add another brand to my small collection.
Both watches are approximately the same price and most think the quality is good on both. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the resale value of the Breitling vs the Rolex. If I had to sell it down the road the Rolex would be much more valuable and probably easier to sell.
Anyway from what I've been reading on this thread I can't go wrong with either brand so I continue to research the Breitling Blackbird and the Rolex Submarriner online hoping to find info on which one is a better timepiece, but it will eventually come down to which one I prefer.
Any comments or advice is welcome.
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 08:40 AM   #231
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwooddavid View Post
For the past year I planned on buying the new Rolex Submariner this spring but I dropped by our only Breitling AD last week and found myself admiring a Breitling Blackbird.
Now I find myself trying to decide between the two watches and make the right decision on which one to purchase. Reading through this thread has been very helpful and I think at this moment I am leaning towards the Blackbird (but this could change quickly). I really like the looks of the Blackbird and it would be nice to add another brand to my small collection.
Both watches are approximately the same price and most think the quality is good on both. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the resale value of the Breitling vs the Rolex. If I had to sell it down the road the Rolex would be much more valuable and probably easier to sell.
Anyway from what I've been reading on this thread I can't go wrong with either brand so I continue to research the Breitling Blackbird and the Rolex Submarriner online hoping to find info on which one is a better timepiece, but it will eventually come down to which one I prefer.
Any comments or advice is welcome.
IMO if you are buying this based on resale you really have to lean towards a new sub. i think the black bird in a bracelet retails for around 6500 and the sub goes for around 7300. however you can most likely get 25% off the black bird where you would be lucky to get 10% off the Rolex.

in the end i think you should make your choice based on what you think looks best. both great watches.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 08:50 AM   #232
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Agree 100%.
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 12:48 PM   #233
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
the ceramic Rolex GMTc & Subc, feel more exspensive
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 05:17 PM   #234
roleyrolz
Banned

I personally like the fact that Rolex doesn't make huge watchs they are not a gimmicky company (at least not in there products maybe there marketing though). Also one thing about rolex is that they are a market innovator not a follower a mean how many dive watches look like the sub aloooot. Also I don't think rolex is a formal dress up brand anything but actually most of there watches come with metal braclets to me classy is leather(a subjective statement of course). I see a Rolex in my future for those reasons while breitling. While a nice brand like omega are well let's face it playing catchup with rolex.even though they are on Rolex's tail.
roleyrolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 01:22 AM   #235
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roleyrolz View Post
I personally like the fact that Rolex doesn't make huge watchs they are not a gimmicky company (at least not in there products maybe there marketing though). Also one thing about rolex is that they are a market innovator not a follower a mean how many dive watches look like the sub aloooot. Also I don't think rolex is a formal dress up brand anything but actually most of there watches come with metal braclets to me classy is leather(a subjective statement of course). I see a Rolex in my future for those reasons while breitling. While a nice brand like omega are well let's face it playing catchup with rolex.even though they are on Rolex's tail.
i do like the fact that Rolex doesnt mess with the brand too much. But I wouldnt call big watches are "gimicky". I also agree that Breitling will have to play catch up. In terms of innovation but design is definitely subjective.
Old 26 April 2011, 11:55 AM   #236
boeckelr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roleyrolz View Post
How does Rolex innovate today? I know they have a long history of innovation...but for the most part Rolex succeeds now by tweaking their iconic designs....Changing to a ceramic bezel or making a new clasp isnt really innovating....Heck, if you really think about it, Rolex is one of the most conservative companies there is. Their watches look the same now as they did 30 or 40 years ago.

As for Breitling making large watches - in my opinion Rolex has been late to offer large watches. I went to visit my parents a few weeks ago, and tried on my dads 1975 Datejust...and it looked like a womans watch on me. I only wish they would offer a larger Sub....because at 40mm it is still too small on me. I know I can get a DSSD, and hopefully eventually will....but its too bad because everyone who owns one says the Sub is the perfect watch. But it looks too small on me. I know that there is now a larger Datejust....so maybe Rolex is coming around on size....Anyway, in this case Rolex has definitely followed the industry.

Rolex has done exceptionally well at making people perceive its watches are the best. In my opinion, part of that is because they are more expensive than competitors like Omega and Breitling. The discounts that Breitling and Omegas AD's offer probably cheapens their brands in the eyes of many consumers (not people reading this thread), because the discounts make Rolexes seem even more exclusive. In reality, the people who have posted on this thread who either own both Breitling and Rolex or have owned both, have largely said they are of similar quality.

One thing I do not understand is why Breitling is derided for not using in house movements (until lately)....while IWC does the same thing...but is clearly recognized to be as or more exclusive than Rolex.

One more thing I would like to point out....detractors can say what they want about Breitling...but they cant say they arent original. My Steelfish (and the Seawolf, Superocean and Colt) stands on its own....while an SMP or Aquaracer clearly have been strongly influenced by the Sub. Although I cant wait for the day that I will own a DSSD, I am in the meantime happy to wear my Steelfish, which is a great watch....and it is unique and not a clone of a Rolex.
boeckelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 04:08 PM   #237
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeckelr View Post
How does Rolex innovate today? I know they have a long history of innovation...but for the most part Rolex succeeds now by tweaking their iconic designs....Changing to a ceramic bezel or making a new clasp isnt really innovating....Heck, if you really think about it, Rolex is one of the most conservative companies there is. Their watches look the same now as they did 30 or 40 years ago.

As for Breitling making large watches - in my opinion Rolex has been late to offer large watches. I went to visit my parents a few weeks ago, and tried on my dads 1975 Datejust...and it looked like a womans watch on me. I only wish they would offer a larger Sub....because at 40mm it is still too small on me. I know I can get a DSSD, and hopefully eventually will....but its too bad because everyone who owns one says the Sub is the perfect watch. But it looks too small on me. I know that there is now a larger Datejust....so maybe Rolex is coming around on size....Anyway, in this case Rolex has definitely followed the industry.

Rolex has done exceptionally well at making people perceive its watches are the best. In my opinion, part of that is because they are more expensive than competitors like Omega and Breitling. The discounts that Breitling and Omegas AD's offer probably cheapens their brands in the eyes of many consumers (not people reading this thread), because the discounts make Rolexes seem even more exclusive. In reality, the people who have posted on this thread who either own both Breitling and Rolex or have owned both, have largely said they are of similar quality.

One thing I do not understand is why Breitling is derided for not using in house movements (until lately)....while IWC does the same thing...but is clearly recognized to be as or more exclusive than Rolex.

One more thing I would like to point out....detractors can say what they want about Breitling...but they cant say they arent original. My Steelfish (and the Seawolf, Superocean and Colt) stands on its own....while an SMP or Aquaracer clearly have been strongly influenced by the Sub. Although I cant wait for the day that I will own a DSSD, I am in the meantime happy to wear my Steelfish, which is a great watch....and it is unique and not a clone of a Rolex.
great post bud. you might want to check out the new Explorer II 42mm when it comes out. that might fit the bill.
Old 26 April 2011, 10:39 PM   #238
L30N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponon View Post
I was under the impression that Sinn also puts quartz movements through COSC.

Copy/paste from Sinn:
Then again you speak of quartz , Seiko keeps the best time of all watches but they dont have a COSC , imo no need for COSC for quartz watches , they ll always be the most accurate anyway.
L30N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2011, 06:46 AM   #239
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
You would just be wrong. Seriously. IMOP.

Omega's have the style, reputation, function, heritage and very broad appeal. The Seamasters and Speedmasters are highly sought after. Breitling will be a mall watch like Movado is a few years.
Aren't Breitlings, Tags and Movado watches known to be accessible, higher mid-market watches?

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2011, 06:57 AM   #240
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Decided to join the ranks and be one of those that have both Rolex and Breitling. I chose the Navitimer World, something completely different in regards to look and feel than anything I have so far, however I do have an affinity for Chronographs and now I have a Navitimer.

I think Rolex will always be my favorite brand, as almost half of my watches are Rolex. However viva la difference.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote