The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 October 2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Seiko 6105-8110 ‘Turtle’

Gents

I’m early stages at buying one of these ‘Apocalypse Now’ turtles, of which I know little about.

Can anyone share some advice on what to ask a seller and also what to look for in one?

Thanks in advance.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Kohola
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6105
I have one which was bought by my dad back in the early '70's. A couple years ago, I sent it to Spencer Klein to get serviced. He was pretty amazed at the overall condition, especially the dial and hands. Many if these have patinaed and degraded over the years. Many others sat in storage for decades that are still in good condition (like my Dad's, altho he wore it for at least 10 years).

Aside from the dial and hands (the red second hand pip seems to go missing on many examples), look at the case, crown, etc. The crystals are usually pretty beat up, but those can be replaced.

Good luck in your search!
Kohola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Pongster
"TRF" Member

It has a special locking system for the crown.

Not screw down. Make sure it’s OK. There are notches on the case that fit the grooves on the crown. Most specimens, the notches are gone. So crown wont lock anymore.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 08:43 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that you are entering a minefield that will be both expensive and possibly frustrating. I purchased an original Seiko Pogue last year from a great source and have not had it for more than a few weeks as it has lived at Seiko for what is a third series of repairs. Dealing with the crown and stem. Old watches, while having a lot of charm and nostalgia, are at best, passion projects. With the SLA033 being introduced there has been a surge in demand for the original and the variations. The prices have moved up and that also means those in the market who are not reputable will have the motivation to mod watches for more money. I believe that the modern version is the SPR777 and it can be had new in the box for around $300 with a warranty. Do yourself a favor and start there and see how it goes while you do your research. I own the SLA033 and it is a great watch. If you really want one they can be found for around $3500 and in the long run it might be worth it. Good luck.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 08:55 PM   #5
Lgear080
Banned

Have the dial and hands examined by a 3rd party. If they’re especially clean it’s likely a redial. Patina on these watches looks like black crud. Try one on before you commit. I find the case a bit awkward w the small bracelet width.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Lgear080
Banned

Have the dial and hands examined by a 3rd party. If they’re especially clean it’s likely a redial. Patina on these watches looks like black crud. Try one on before you commit. I find the case a bit awkward w the small bracelet width.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 02:47 AM   #7
MSchu
Banned

any 'clean' 6105's have probably been re-worked... frankly the sla033, while not original, is a better watch.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 03:30 AM   #8
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Seiko 6105-8110 ‘Turtle’

I have a 1970 61105-8110 Proof/Proof which I had the hands and dial re-lumed matte white with a pinch of yellow to ever so slightly age it. Looks great. I also replaced the crystal with an exact Type I replica from Spencer Klein. I kept the original which was severely scratched. The backstory was I bought it from a woman whose father in law found in California in the surf while walking the beach in 1975. Must have fallen off the wrist of someone who was swimming, surfing, fishing, or diving. He never serviced it and wore if for decades. It came on a crusty Speidel twisty bracelet. He's now 92 years old and no longer wore it. I popped open the case and saw it was serviced once prior in Japan or by a Japanese watchmaker as there was a bunch of Japanese lettering. I had it translated by someone.

Many original specimens are severely molded or molded in such a way that it's not acceptable. If done properly, with Seikos, re-luming doesn't detract from the watch as the the lettering on the dial is original. You're just restoring it. And with anything, there's good and bad restoration jobs.

This is how it originally looked

Old 18 October 2019, 03:43 AM   #9
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
any 'clean' 6105's have probably been re-worked... frankly the sla033, while not original, is a better watch.
It's also sterile and has much less character, in my opinion. Sapphire doesn't have the same effect on the dial as the old frosted beveled Type II crystal, and the dial text looks uneven to me. The lume is green like most aftermarket dials. I tried it on and almost immediately turned it down. So while it has a much better movement (arguably) with the 8L35, I can't agree it's a "better watch."
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 03:54 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Thank you for all the great advice!

After some late night reading and watching, i think the srp777 is a good route until i can touch and feel a sla033.

I certainly want to wear the watch and not have it in the shop often or leak.

Old 18 October 2019, 03:59 AM   #11
ashbaug2
Banned

I have my dad's 6105-8119 from 1975, plus a backup for spare parts in case it ever breaks. It's a killer watch, super comfortable and very legible. The problem with it was a pretty significant design flaw in the crown: instead of an exposed gasket that was able to be easily replaced, it was sealed in the crown with a washer. The intent was to replace the entire crown at service, but since Seikos are known for their durability, and they were used as tool watches (lots of Vietnam War vets wore these) very few were kept up, so when the gasket dried out, water leaked in, and we all know what water does to watches...

It's not impossible to find a very good one, but there are LOTS of faked and cobbled together pieces. Lots of aftermarket dials (because of the water leakage issues...) and bad aftermarket hands. There were two lengths of seconds hands, as well, short and long, with longer being used on later 811x models (8110 and 8119 are the same watch, but sold in different markets).

I'd suggest heading over to the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum and doing some research. These things have almost doubled in price since I inherited mined from my dad when he passed. Parts are drying up, so paying for a good example is key. I can find one and want it serviced (a good idea) and restored properly, Guy Rexworthy (goes by GuyJ on the SCWF) has mine and is doing a relume on it. I also just found a NOS Type II crystal that he's putting on. I believe he's also @rexworthywatches on IG.

Spencer Klein (mentioned above) is the defacto "Seiko Yoda" for a lot of people, but his backlog is almost 2 years long, and he might have even closed his list recently.

As with anything, do your research. I'm no expert, not by a long stretch, and the 6105 can be a minefield if you don't ask lots of questions from people in the know... Read up on Proof/Proof (mostly on the 8000/8009 model, but can still be found in early 8110/8119), Proof/Resist, Resist/Resist, certain years and months they transitioned to know if the SN matches the dial, which movement would be found in which case and dial at the time, fake bezel inserts, etc.

Also, follow Uncle Seiko on IG (@uncleseiko) or check his website. He has a knack for finding amazing examples and sells them, and he also makes reproduction straps in the 19mm width. I have all three: waffle, chocolate bar, and tire tread. They're the perfect straps for that watch.

Good luck!
Old 18 October 2019, 04:10 AM   #12
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

After some late night reading and watching, i think the srp777 is a good route until i can touch and feel a sla033.

A good service done by someone who knows what they are doing will include a crown gasket replacement. Jack at IWW was doing it for a long time, I think he's the one that hacked the issue several years ago. I don't think he's working anymore. My dad's is fully water proof and was tested to 10bar. The 61xx movements were great movements, and a service will find any worn out parts; a good watchmaker will have some spares. I wouldn't worry one bit about wearing my dad's watch, and that means more to me than any other object I own.
Old 18 October 2019, 04:36 AM   #13
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The SRP777 is a great watch. Amazingly comfortable, good looking, rugged, a real workhorse. You can easily get one on eBay new in box for $260.00. I have 5 of them of varying bezel and dial colors
Old 18 October 2019, 04:49 AM   #14
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've got an SRP777 and it's a great watch. ^^^^
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 05:10 AM   #15
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
It has a special locking system for the crown.

Not screw down. Make sure it’s OK. There are notches on the case that fit the grooves on the crown. Most specimens, the notches are gone. So crown wont lock anymore.
While the locking crown is an interesting feature it does nothing for water resistance and is solely for novelty and to say “mine is original”. I’d rather have a nice original dial and hands versus the crown actually locking.

I put mine on an Erika’s original MN strap and it’s great. That strap keeps the awkward shape watch from sliding around on my wrist. She makes them in 19mm too
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 05:49 AM   #16
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
While the locking crown is an interesting feature it does nothing for water resistance and is solely for novelty and to say “mine is original”. I’d rather have a nice original dial and hands versus the crown actually locking.

I put mine on an Erika’s original MN strap and it’s great. That strap keeps the awkward shape watch from sliding around on my wrist. She makes them in 19mm too
Great point. Those pins are almost always broken off, and the real water resistance came from the gasket in the crown. Unfortunately, more times than not, that gasket dried up and failed, causing water intrusion...

Chewy, You asked about what to look for and question to ask: If a dial and hands have lots of black funk around the edges or in the lume, that may be a sign of water damage. Definitely ask for a picture of the movement and look for signs of rust. If it's not too bad, a relume or "sympathetic restoration" might make it presentable.
Old 18 October 2019, 11:16 AM   #17
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
If it's not too bad, a relume or "sympathetic restoration" might make it presentable.
I like that, "sympathetic restoration."

I find Seiko collectors to be a bit more laid back and down to Earth and don't freak out over a quality re-lume job. It's like anything old, it can be properly restored, true to the original, pleasing to look at, and maintain it's integrity. It's only lume!
Old 19 October 2019, 01:59 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Banned

Thank you again everyone. I really appreciate the advice and comments.
Old 23 October 2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Chewbacca
Banned

Went with the SRP775 to join my Sammy and SKX.

The 775 gilt dial really appealed to me. Going to get a brown with gold buckle leather belt for it along with a 2t jubilee.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8C394F6D-A93F-4306-80C8-19A238C543BD.jpeg (230.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 23 October 2019, 08:24 PM   #20
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Looks great.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 08:05 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations. Looks great.
Old 25 October 2019, 12:19 PM   #22
Kohola
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6105
That was a good way to go. Congrats!
Kohola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 02:51 PM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola View Post
That was a good way to go. Congrats!
Appreciate you sharing above. It helped.