The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2017, 09:39 PM   #31
CaputMortuum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
They could just as well close the AP AD in Helsinki, as their AP inventory is the same year after year.
That's just because of their price policy.

Edit:
I just checked out of curiosity and couldn't find Lindroos through AP's site anymore.
CaputMortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:27 PM   #32
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaputMortuum View Post
That's just because of their price policy.

Edit:
I just checked out of curiosity and couldn't find Lindroos through AP's site anymore.
Yes, no longer an AD seems confirmed. Just as well. Although I'd like to still be able to order rubber bands/bracelets in my own country. Sweden it is now then.
Old 24 May 2017, 07:20 PM   #33
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Tl;dr
sydtptsse?
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 02:11 PM   #34
ILikeTacos
Banned

Sorry to beat a dead horse but quite a few ADs in the US that have lost their AP franchise recently or will be losing it by end of year. Off the top of my head, Armstrong Rockwell, Shapur, Reis-Nichols, and Lewis Jewelers. Sure there are more in the US.
ILikeTacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 05:47 PM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacos View Post
Sorry to beat a dead horse but quite a few ADs in the US that have lost their AP franchise recently or will be losing it by end of year. Off the top of my head, Armstrong Rockwell, Shapur, Reis-Nichols, and Lewis Jewelers. Sure there are more in the US.
judging by the excessive discounting going on in the US by most accounts here (compared to other markets) i think its a good thing. Im sure AP isn't happy about it as it does hurt the brand image, and if AD's are having to discount that much to move pieces then the demand must not be there and consolidation is a good move.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:17 PM   #36
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacos View Post
Living in Houston, I can see why Lewis Jewlers would lose their status. The location that carries AP is in Clear Lake which isn't exactly the most affluent part of the greater Houston area and is like 40 miles away from the city. Their other location in Uptown Park doesn't carry AP because of it being too close to Zadok who probably has claim to the territory.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:40 PM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Living in Houston, I can see why Lewis Jewlers would lose their status. The location that carries AP is in Clear Lake which isn't exactly the most affluent part of the greater Houston area and is like 40 miles away from the city. Their other location in Uptown Park doesn't carry AP because of it being too close to Zadok who probably has claim to the territory.
Last time i was in houston i wasn't about to drive to clear lake, that seemed a bit ridiculous. Zadok was quite impressive. Probably the most FPJ i have ever seen in one location. AP selection was pretty good as well. Their location is not good though. For such a nice store to be located in a strip mall always confused me and you have to be seeking it out to find it. Pretty sure its literally next door to a Luby's cafeteria
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 September 2017, 01:54 AM   #38
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
judging by the excessive discounting going on in the US by most accounts here (compared to other markets) i think its a good thing. Im sure AP isn't happy about it as it does hurt the brand image, and if AD's are having to discount that much to move pieces then the demand must not be there and consolidation is a good move.
This^. Too much supply not enough demand. Though apparently demand is picking up since everyone is raising their prices again.

But consolidation should be able to keep the prices high. Good for those who bought low , bad for everyone else. If everyone believes the fallacy that big discounts aren't possible anymore, and it actually will become true from less ADs, prices will hold high.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:14 AM   #39
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
That's Houston for you. The place has to be in a strip mall to make sure there's enough parking. At least the strip mall is in a nice part of town.

If you think Zadok is hard to find, try finding the Lewis Jewelers in Uptown Park. That took forever for me to find.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:40 AM   #40
Bigblack
"TRF" Member

Watch: got a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
This^. Too much supply not enough demand. Though apparently demand is picking up since everyone is raising their prices again.

But consolidation should be able to keep the prices high. Good for those who bought low , bad for everyone else. If everyone believes the fallacy that big discounts aren't possible anymore, and it actually will become true from less ADs, prices will hold high.
I've heard this as well from multiple sources but who knows how accurate it actually is, gone are the days I guess where u get auto 25 off ? True in a sense that it devalues the brand with such excessive discounting but sucks if ur looking to buy now 😂
Bigblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 06:29 AM   #41
christianj
Banned

Really surprised to see Armstrong Rockwell listed above as an AD that loosing the line! I've dealt with them numerous times and they were hands down one of the best I've bought from. I was under the impression they were one of the bigger ADs for AP in the US.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 06:53 AM   #42
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I just noticed Arije in london is no longer listed as an AD on AP's site. I was just in there about a month or two ago and they had a lot of stock including a RO PC and the new navy/black 42mm ROO. If they lost their AD status that would make two in London in the past year and a half or so including Marcus.

The important bits, Article in link: The overall retail strategy is now in Mr. Bennahmias’s sights. As well as increasing revenues by shifting away from wholesale partnerships in favor of its own boutiques, the company is preparing to open the first of what it calls its “lounges,” above-ground-level retail spaces where the focus will be on a premium customer experience rather than costly build-outs for showcase spaces with premium rents. The first are scheduled to open in London, Munich and New York by the end of this year.

Innovations like these, as well as searching for a solution to the thorny problem of online watch retailing, are required, Mr. Bennahmias said, to serve a new generation of consumers.

Its not due to poor sales: the market’s 2016 totals showed a sales decline of almost 10 percent in 2015 totals — while Audemars Piguet’s revenue was up seven percent

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/f...rs-piguet.html
Old 2 October 2017, 07:34 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I just noticed Arije in london is no longer listed as an AD on AP's site. I was just in there about a month or two ago and they had a lot of stock including a RO PC and the new navy/black 42mm ROO. If they lost their AD status that would make two in London in the past year and a half or so including Marcus.

The important bits, Article in link: The overall retail strategy is now in Mr. Bennahmias’s sights. As well as increasing revenues by shifting away from wholesale partnerships in favor of its own boutiques, the company is preparing to open the first of what it calls its “lounges,” above-ground-level retail spaces where the focus will be on a premium customer experience rather than costly build-outs for showcase spaces with premium rents. The first are scheduled to open in London, Munich and New York by the end of this year.

Innovations like these, as well as searching for a solution to the thorny problem of online watch retailing, are required, Mr. Bennahmias said, to serve a new generation of consumers.

Its not due to poor sales: the market’s 2016 totals showed a sales decline of almost 10 percent in 2015 totals — while Audemars Piguet’s revenue was up seven percent

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/f...rs-piguet.html
I heard this from a very knowledgeable guy at the Marcus subsidiary on BA, and not having a boutique on Bond St or Knightsbridge just sounds cheap to me, they really should have a stand alone presence.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 07:37 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I heard this from a very knowledgeable guy at the Marcus subsidiary on BA, and not having a boutique on Bond St or Knightsbridge just sounds cheap to me.
i still think a boutique is coming. NYC has a boutique already and is getting a "lounge". London is getting a "lounge" but i still think the long term plan is something more substantial. I have heard from AP directly not so subtile hints they are looking for a location. I had assumed that referred to boutique but now I'm not so sure, at least in the short term.
Old 2 October 2017, 07:42 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i still think a boutique is coming. NYC has a boutique already and is getting a "lounge". London is getting a "lounge" but i still think the long term plan is something more substantial. I have heard from AP directly not so subtile hints they are looking for a location. I had assumed that referred to boutique but now I'm not so sure, at least in the short term.
Guy at Marcus said no boutique planned, and there are spaces available on Bond st. He was saying there was not much point as they don't get enough walk in sales any more, but still think they should have a presence in a major city. If they are going to have these lounges then they better offer top quality service and not throw a mini fit when you ask for a cap or something like.
Old 2 October 2017, 07:46 AM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Guy at Marcus said no boutique planned, and there are spaces available on Bond st. He was saying there was not much point as they don't get enough walk in sales any more, but still think they should have a presence in a major city. If they are going to have these lounges then they better offer top quality service and not throw a mini fit when you ask for a cap or something like.
i can't imagine a boutique wouldn't do well in london. Minus Rolex and Patek, it seems AP's are the next brand as far as scarcity of popular references. Non mainstream models are long waits as well, my 15407 wait has been estimated in years, not months. Thats not from an AD either, thats AP directly who I'm buying from

I routinely do AD hopping in central london and none have a ton of stock but add them all together and you almost get a fully stocked boutique

If the "lounges" get stocked like a boutique then I'm happy. I am curious to see what the difference is.
Old 2 October 2017, 10:37 AM   #47
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Hong Kong lounge should be open this year and it is a good location. If it has a free bar I am sure I will end up buying plenty of watches I don't need. A great strategy!
Old 2 October 2017, 11:06 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Hong Kong lounge should be open this year and it is a good location. If it has a free bar I am sure I will end up buying plenty of watches I don't need. A great strategy!
Ah now a free bar and maybe some canapés and suddenly I'm a believer.

And throw in a free cap or pen if you're saving so much on premium rent, don't be tight and claim you have no goodies at all.
Old 2 October 2017, 11:09 AM   #49
tng11
"TRF" Member

All of Canada only has 2 AP dealers for 36 million people... We used to have a grand total of 3, but AP also recently shut down the one in Montreal, leaving only a single dealer in Vancouver and Toronto. Stock at both of these ADs tend to be horrid. All while I've noticed lately that AP is really beginning to pick up in popularity - I see at least one everyday, and on a good day, 5 or more.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 11:14 AM   #50
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
All of Canada only has 2 AP dealers for 36 million people... We used to have a grand total of 3, but AP also recently shut down the one in Montreal, leaving only a single dealer in Vancouver and Toronto. Stock at both of these ADs tend to be horrid. All while I've noticed lately that AP is really beginning to pick up in popularity - I see at least one everyday, and on a good day, 5 or more.
We got to wonder if a boutique is coming soon. Both Toronto and Vancouver. There is definitely a huge demand. Vancouver for example only gets 4-6 brand new 15400 in steel per year the last time I spoke to them.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 11:16 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Ah now a free bar and maybe some canapés and suddenly I'm a believer.

And throw in a free cap or pen if you're saving so much on premium rent, don't be tight.
There's local clothing boutiques in my neighborhood that have been offering drinks and canapés for years. These guys are slow.

I don't even live in a big market lol
Old 2 October 2017, 01:06 PM   #52
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
After a few drinks you’ll take any Tourbillion home
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 01:46 PM   #53
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
There's local clothing boutiques in my neighborhood that have been offering drinks and canapés for years. These guys are slow.

I don't even live in a big market lol
I don't find it ethical to sell luxury items to drunk people, but you see it all the time. As an aside, I've never seen a HK bar/restaurant cut off a paying customer
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 02:46 PM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah but its cold there. AP's are not that noticeable under parka's plus no brand ambassadors play hockey. Kind of makes me wonder how many summer editions they were allocated.
Old 2 October 2017, 04:15 PM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I don't find it ethical to sell luxury items to drunk people, but you see it all the time. As an aside, I've never seen a HK bar/restaurant cut off a paying customer
I think it's preferable! Between my Rolex AD and the local car dealer I get 2-3 free open bars per year
Old 2 October 2017, 05:07 PM   #56
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Some of my best and worst incomings were a result of free inebriation sessions!
Old 2 October 2017, 05:51 PM   #57
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah but its cold there. AP's are not that noticeable under parka's plus no brand ambassadors play hockey. Kind of makes me wonder how many summer editions they were allocated.
Wait a moment... I'm surprised AP hasn't made Drake an ambassador yet (I've seen pictures of him with AP a few times.)

However, I did see a summer edition last week when we were having unusually hot weather in the 30C+ range. How maybe summer editions did you spot in the wild?
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 06:13 PM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wait a moment... I'm surprised AP hasn't made Drake an ambassador yet (I've seen pictures of him with AP a few times.)

However, I did see a summer edition last week when we were having unusually hot weather in the 30C+ range. How maybe summer editions did you spot in the wild?
I've seen one summer edition IRL so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8559.jpg (153.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 2 October 2017, 06:19 PM   #59
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
I've seen one summer edition IRL so far
That’s was a great two days
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 05:43 AM   #60
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
It will be interesting to see what AP do, but they must have plenty of sales / location / outlet type info from over the years to build their ongoing policy on. Personally in principle I'd much rather buy from a relaxed 'lounge' than a shop.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote