The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2024, 03:53 AM   #31
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
If leery of the Scotch-Brite maybe a Cape-Cod cloth? It may not totally remove it though. I agree w/many of the others, just wear it. Maybe AD will offer some sort of concession.

Cape cod cloth is not the best idea for brushed finish.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:04 AM   #32
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Cape cod cloth is not the best idea for brushed finish.

Kat

If you leave it out to dry out it can be useful for superficial brushed touch ups. Bracelet to bracelet rub marks for example. It's quite abrasive when dry.
Old 12 January 2024, 04:39 AM   #33
GrumpyMax
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Get a thin green scrub pad that you would wash dishes with and cut it into a small piece. Gently go over the area a few times and it will disappear and blend. It will be like it never happened. Some will think my advice is crazy but it works. Only do it on brushed surfaces and for very light scratches. It 100 percent works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to be VERY careful with this. The reason is that you won't be able to "rub" it in absolutely parallel lines to the original finishing, which will result in micro-scratches going in all directions. This may not be visible if you look directly, but with the proper light angle it will be there...(( I know it from my own experience.
GrumpyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:50 AM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
Can you describe your technique? Is there a video showing how to do it?

Remove bracelet

Place flat on flat surface (i generally use a towel on a worktop)

Gently pass dampened scotchbright pad with light pressure in one direction only along the bracelet and clasp without varying the pressure.

A dry fresh pad will give a coarser grain than a used dampened one.

Repeat as necessary

For some reason the BB58 bracelet has a slightly different hue/grain to the mid case as standard which makes it easier.

If you follow those steps its harder to get it wrong than right. Granted we all have different levels of practical skills and some folk are just not cut out for it. But if your brain is wired correctly it is simple and effective. Ive done it on Rolex Oyster bracelets and have achieved a perfect finish

Edit, if you muck it up, its a very simple fix

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:52 AM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyMax View Post
You need to be VERY careful with this. The reason is that you won't be able to "rub" it in absolutely parallel lines to the original finishing, which will result in micro-scratches going in all directions. This may not be visible if you look directly, but with the proper light angle it will be there...(( I know it from my own experience.
You can create a simple jig to ensure parallel finishing if you can't do it freehand

Old 12 January 2024, 04:54 AM   #36
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If leery of the Scotch-Brite maybe a Cape-Cod cloth? It may not totally remove it though. I agree w/many of the others, just wear it. Maybe AD will offer some sort of concession.
Cape cod or sunshine is for mirror polished metal. Not brushed

Old 12 January 2024, 05:06 AM   #37
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd personally just let it go.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 05:25 AM   #38
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
If you leave it out to dry out it can be useful for superficial brushed touch ups. Bracelet to bracelet rub marks for example. It's quite abrasive when dry.

I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:40 AM   #39
Rippin12
"TRF" Member

Those look like very light scratches. Use a scratch pen to get it out.

https://www.bergeon.swiss/09-polissa...o-4-00-mm.html
Rippin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:45 AM   #40
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by housetudor View Post
Is this a genuine advice ? I would be a bit mindful of doing this as it may affect the brightness or colour of the link, what do you all think ?

By the way my AD called me and apologized for overlooking it. They proposed a scratch removal for the links. But I don't think its worth it for now
This is genuinely a great solution if done correctly.
You can achieve pretty great results on brushed links. Just use care and don’t overdo it
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:54 AM   #41
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I wouldn’t touch it. Sure it’s disappointing, but you will have 5 more after the first day of wearing it. It’s not a museum piece.
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 11:19 AM   #42
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'd personally just let it go.

As for post 39 - please don't use a scratch pen or a 3M pad - you will never match the factory finish and will have to brush the whole bracelet.

You could try these suggestions on an old watch bracelet and compare the results to the new finish?

Your results will be interesting to read.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:50 PM   #43
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:

Cape cod is for the shiny parts. If you use it in the brushed parts it will take off the brushed finish and turn Shiny. Light light pressure. That’s the trick.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:52 PM   #44
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyMax View Post

Yes you need to use light pressure and only go in the same direction. I have used it on my sub clasp before and it was seamless I couldn’t tell.

Old 12 January 2024, 12:53 PM   #45
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Remove bracelet

Place flat on flat surface (i generally use a towel on a worktop)

Gently pass dampened scotchbright pad with light pressure in one direction only along the bracelet and clasp without varying the pressure.

A dry fresh pad will give a coarser grain than a used dampened one.

Repeat as necessary

For some reason the BB58 bracelet has a slightly different hue/grain to the mid case as standard which makes it easier.

If you follow those steps its harder to get it wrong than right. Granted we all have different levels of practical skills and some folk are just not cut out for it. But if your brain is wired correctly it is simple and effective. Ive done it on Rolex Oyster bracelets and have achieved a perfect finish

Edit, if you muck it up, its a very simple fix

This is 100 percent correct. Follow his advice.

Old 12 January 2024, 01:00 PM   #46
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
Dude. You’re going to do more damage typing on a keyboard.

Wear it in good health and embrace the beginning of a beautiful patina you’ll have in 10 years
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:30 PM   #47
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If I scratched it and couldn't bear to leave it unrectified, there are a number of DIY solutions as listed in this thread and any number of jewelers who would be able to make it vanish. However, this watch was bought brand new from an AD. I would not accept a watch in this condition any more than I would accept a new car with scratches, a scratched Blu Ray disk brand new out of the case, or a new book that was creased, torn or dented.

The only watch I've bought with a scratch on a lug, which I discovered when it got it home was a Tag Heuer. One phone call and a return visit produced an apology and a brand new, unblemished watch. They offered a discount, polish or replacement. Buying a brand new watch that turned out to be scratched was a big deal for me. Not something that could be brushed off. I can scuff it all I like when it's mine (and I did) but I don't expect new goods to come pre scuffed. The after sales service I received was highly professional. I would expect no less from a Rolex or Tudor AD.

Bottom line: your watch your choice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:53 PM   #48
Burt Macklin
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 Ref#126234
I had this happen to me as well. Bought a BB58 on a strap but wanted a bracelet. Since I was a newb at the time, I allowed the AD to swap the strap for the bracelet...bad idea. Got home and saw they scratched all the lugs underneath (no big deal I figured), but upon closer inspection, one lug had been scratched badly on the top side. I texted photos to my salesperson and they agreed it was unacceptable and offered at first to polish it. I pushed back and was offered a replacement. Since then I've bought the appropriate tools and do all my own sizing/strap swaps.

I've since come around to never understand the camp that says to just deal with it, you'll put your own scratches on it, etc., etc. Paying good $ to have someone else's hamfisted treatment blemish your purchase should be a big deal. But to each their own.

Edit to add: Sadly I think this event has caused this particular AD to not consider me for any Rolex purchases. I wanted the BB58, so I thought this would be a good way to start the "relationship." I even ordered a Tudor for my fiancée. Couple months go by with no communication, so I decide to reach out. Was told my salesperson had left and the order was never placed (wtf!). Okay, who was in charge of my order now? Guess who...the guy who butchered my BB58. Few more months go by with no watch and I figured the guy didn't like me calling out his strap changing skills, so I cancelled the order and moved on.
Burt Macklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:58 PM   #49
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Give your AD the opportunity to prove their excellence.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 11:26 PM   #50
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Way too minor to worry about.
I scratch more than that on practically a daily basis.
Old 13 January 2024, 01:41 AM   #51
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

This is one of the reasons I like to buy watches 'lightly used'. That way the 'first dent' is already made for me! The first dent/scratch always hurts the most, and you'll spend way too much heartache looking at it/trying to fix it/trying not to make it worse.

If you buy one with a handful of desk-diving scuffs already, any new ones are imperceptible anyway, and you skip the 'heartache' time and go right to the 'enjoying' it time.
ErichKeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 03:01 AM   #52
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
The first cut is the deepest. Enjoy that watch !
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:48 AM   #53
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
The watch will pick up a lot more of them when you wear it. Dont worry about it.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote