The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2023, 09:59 PM   #121
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
And STILL I can't get anyone to take me
Maybe you are doing something wrong?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:01 PM   #122
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
As mentioned in smother thread, I’m right now looking for a home in Florida. Likely the Delray area.

Will commute between there and jersey. To start 6 months and 6 months. Then I’ll slowly make Florida my home. I’m tired of the cold and the hustle. I just want some peace.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:45 PM   #123
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

I sold up in the UK at 55 and bought a small company in Tenerife. Doing the same as I'd always had HVAC
I'd planned to work 2 years and quit but my then wife decided to go back to UK but not before she'd emptied the bank account of our life savings . Took another 5 years to get back to a decent footing so sold up business and retired at 61. Celebrating with a world cruise..see elsewhere
Loving life on a small island. Weather perfect for us oldies not too hot not too cold
Way better than UK and the best thing I've ever done
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:54 PM   #124
cartesian Product
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
…but someday I might end up as a beach bum on the western end of Puerto Rico…
Likely the same destiny, but in Costa Rica.
cartesian Product is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:16 PM   #125
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I will retire some time between 3 months and 3 years from now but honestly have no desire to run off to a tropical island...or even Florida immediately after. I just look forward to more time with the home and property I have currently...and more golf.

Maybe eventually the winter will seem too long and I'll think about a move or a winter place but the idea of laying on the beach would drive me nuts after about 3 days.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:24 PM   #126
HAPConst
Banned

I retired very early. I was 36 when I pulled the plug. I had a great job and saved a lot of money. By the time 38 came around I was so bored keeping house while my wife was still working. I decided to do some side work as a carpenter. Fast forward to today I own a construction company that does tremendous business and maintains 4 full time workers not including me. I love going to work every day because I don’t have a care in the world and I am doing something I absolutely love.

I hated cubicle life. I hated working for someone else and making someone else’s business money. It’s not an easy move, but nothing good is easy.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:51 PM   #127
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
… but someday I might end up as a beach bum on the western end of Puerto Rico in a little town called Rincón.
Do it!

Did the beach bum thing in Miami during the 1980s as was literally homeless for months (sadly, also had a debilitation fondness for Peruvian powder). Now as an adult sans 'powder' problem, you'd be amazed how inexpensive living as a beach bum can be. Meet great people, help out as you can, and have fun

PS: My friend has been enjoying Van Life for over a decade and loves it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:56 PM   #128
cartesian Product
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I will retire some time between 3 months and 3 years from now but honestly have no desire to run off to a tropical island...or even Florida immediately after.
My future is secure, but I have no plans to retire. There's no point in changing what makes me happy. While based in the Twin Cities I am equally productive working in the desert when the winter gets too much. Then it's back to Minnesota for its spectacular summers once the desert gets too hot. I couldn’t ask for a better life.
Old 19 January 2023, 12:01 AM   #129
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Do it!

Did the beach bum thing in Miami during the 1980s as was literally homeless for months (sadly, also had a debilitation fondness for Peruvian powder). Now as an adult sans 'powder' problem, you'd be amazed how inexpensive living as a beach bum can be. Meet great people, help out as you can, and have fun

I’d say that’s a rare breed. Does he/she have any responsibilities aka family? I also wonder about health care etc.

I suppose it comes down to age and stage of life and health, but I can’t imagine living like that for a decade. To each their own

Maybe I’m too pragmatic, OK I AM too pragmatic to live like this, but granted it sounds like fun to me for about a month
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:21 AM   #130
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’d say that’s a rare breed. Does he/she have any responsibilities aka family? I also wonder about health care etc.

I suppose it comes down to age and stage of life and health, but I can’t imagine living like that for a decade. To each their own

Maybe I’m too pragmatic, OK I AM too pragmatic to live like this, but granted it sounds like fun to me for about a month

I know a guy that’s been doing it off and on since he got back from Vietnam. He spent time with his kids but then when they left, he went back to the beach and he did it up till a few years ago.

He bought a sailboat about 8 yrs ago and lived on it here on the west coast when weather was gnarly and slept on the beach when it was gorgeous. He also had a storage shed on the east coast. He gets tired of one side and just makes his way to the other with nothing but his backpack.

Gets his healthcare from the VA. Has his investments and residual checks from various sources coming in monthly. Always clean cut, clean pressed clothing and well spoken.

One of the craziest, happiest bastards I’ve ever met. Last I heard he finally let his son talk him into moving in with them so he could be around the grandkids. Dude is rich in so many ways. I miss him.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:37 AM   #131
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I know a guy that’s been doing it off and on since he got back from Vietnam. He spent time with his kids but then when they left, he went back to the beach and he did it up till a few years ago.

He bought a sailboat about 8 yrs ago and lived on it here on the west coast when weather was gnarly and slept on the beach when it was gorgeous. He also had a storage shed on the east coast. He gets tired of one side and just makes his way to the other with nothing but his backpack.

Gets his healthcare from the VA. Has his investments and residual checks from various sources coming in monthly. Always clean cut, clean pressed clothing and well spoken.

One of the craziest, happiest bastards I’ve ever met. Last I heard he finally let his son talk him into moving in with them so he could be around the grandkids. Dude is rich in so many ways. I miss him.

That’s a crazy story and honestly I’m truly happy for whatever works for anyone. Obviously we are all different.l

I bet there’s a lot more to his family story than meets the eye, but who knows it sounds like it’s all good
Old 19 January 2023, 03:47 AM   #132
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’d say that’s a rare breed. Does he/she have any responsibilities aka family? I also wonder about health care etc.:
Actually, due to the cost of living and the desire to see the world, Van Life is getting more and more popular. Great supportive community too! You realize hospitals are aplenty. It really is an excellent alternative, or go upscale with an RV.

He has family, he saw them over the holidays. You know, he drove there to see them. Plus nowadays homeschooling is easy, and imagine your loved ones seeing the world versus reading about it in books. Learn about different cultures, etc. by actually interacting with them (and asking questions).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 January 2023, 04:09 AM   #133
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Actually, due to the cost of living and the desire to see the world, Van Life is getting more and more popular. Great supportive community too! You realize hospitals are aplenty. It really is an excellent alternative, or go upscale with an RV.

He has family, he saw them over the holidays. You know, he drove there to see them. Plus nowadays homeschooling is easy, and imagine your loved ones seeing the world versus reading about it in books. Learn about different cultures, etc. by actually interacting with them (and asking questions).
I can see how that might work for some, it definitely wouldn’t work for me or my family

Not saying living out of a trailer or RV is a bad thing, but it just isn’t something I’d even remotely consider. To each their own
Old 19 January 2023, 04:23 AM   #134
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I can see how that might work for some, it definitely wouldn’t work for me or my family

Not saying living out of a trailer or RV is a bad thing, but it just isn’t something I’d even remotely consider. To each their own
Hey if it's good enough for Cousin Eddy (Randy Quaid), it's good enough for you.

Motor coach living at it's finest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50039104897_101a0423e6_bx.jpg (102.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 19 January 2023, 04:52 AM   #135
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Again, thanks for all of the great replies. An alternate practice is not really an option. I have short term memory problems due to the head injury, plus I don't know anything except Emergency Medicine. I am spending a lot of time trying to figure out what a slightly damaged unlicensed EM doc can do when he grows up. It's hard to think that after 33 years of school and practice, I don't have any transferable skills.
Joey:

So sorry to hear about this.

As far as the transferable skills, you might look at this another way.

Prior to your assault, you earned a clear understanding what it takes to be a medical provider in what has become a very stressful profession. Now, by picking up the pieces and forging a life after this incident, you have learned coping mechanisms and gained the strength of character and skill set to do what it takes to get up every morning after your life has been shattered. Obviously those skills have value.

In the medical profession, burnout rates are high. And so are attendant mental health issues that professionals encounter.

Some professionals who have made it through challenges have stopped the active practice, changed course and used what their challenges have taught them to work in counseling, continuing education, support groups and other areas where providers need assistance picking up the pieces.

The fact that you have kept going after this awful hand life dealt you is inspirational to say the least. And there are many people who need inspiration.

Best of luck, my friend.
Old 19 January 2023, 05:14 AM   #136
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
I bought four and a half acres of pine and spruce trees on a ridge, built a lodge-style house overlooking a river and pond and began a second "career" as a ski patroller in the winter and a mountain bike patroller in the summer at a ski and bike resort. I'm very happy and at peace, but I still dream of looking out over the Caribbean Sea from a porch chair every now and then.
Man if I were you and even if I didn’t know how to fly fish I would learn and move to Keys or Bahamas 1/2 year and enjoy your ski property the other 1/2…done!
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 05:18 AM   #137
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
As mentioned in smother thread, I’m right now looking for a home in Florida. Likely the Delray area.

Will commute between there and jersey. To start 6 months and 6 months. Then I’ll slowly make Florida my home. I’m tired of the cold and the hustle. I just want some peace.
Cold and hustle not withstanding based on the cars I see you flex I would be worried about getting carjacked staying in NJ as well.
Old 19 January 2023, 05:21 AM   #138
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure if people realize, this thread was started by Joey in 2013.

He has since moved on to owning his own island in the Bahamas and starting his own country, which is flourishing.

He spends his winters high up on a mountain somewhere (a la Jeremiah Johnson) rescuing skiers who can't or won't stay on the damn trails.

His hobbies include fighting grizz in the winter and sharks in the summer. If you need to reach him, just ski off a mountain somewhere, break your leg, and he'll find you.
Old 19 January 2023, 05:28 AM   #139
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

He has since moved on to owning his own island in the Bahamas and starting his own country, which is flourishing.

He spends his winters high up on a mountain somewhere rescuing skiers who can't or won't stay on the damn trails.
Old threads are all the rage these last few days.
Old 19 January 2023, 05:39 AM   #140
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
Old threads are all the rage these last few days.
Yeah, the red flags are when they are resurrected by people or with only one or two posts.
Old 19 January 2023, 06:24 AM   #141
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

He spends his winters high up on a mountain somewhere (a la Jeremiah Johnson) rescuing skiers who can't or won't stay on the damn trails.

His hobbies include fighting grizz in the winter and sharks in the summer. If you need to reach him, just ski off a mountain somewhere, break your leg, and he'll find you.
I don't see how that's possible if I only just now told him what I thought about the whole thing. Surely he was waiting.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 06:59 AM   #142
cartesian Product
Banned

Quote:
He’s active here.
Old 19 January 2023, 07:11 AM   #143
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do it!

My depressions got so bad this winter. I've seriously considered shutting down my business, packing my life into a storage unit and just taking my convertible and a few bikes to Cali to go be a beach bum.

Might be my winter training plan next season.

Would be amazing to go ride up and down the coast, out to the mountains and camp in between
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 07:43 AM   #144
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
My depressions got so bad this winter. I've seriously considered shutting down my business, packing my life into a storage unit and just taking my convertible and a few bikes to Cali to go be a beach bum.

Might be my winter training plan next season.

Would be amazing to go ride up and down the coast, out to the mountains and camp in between

Clean out your inbox!!

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 07:52 AM   #145
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartesian Product View Post
He’s active here.
Yup.

When he isn't carting people off the mountainside or ruling over the benevolent island kingdom of Chitlandia.
Old 19 January 2023, 08:34 AM   #146
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I had to go back and see what I wrote in my original post when I saw this thread return. It was indeed a time of uncertainty, yet filled with unlimited options.

As an update, in 2014, I joined the ski patrol at a local resort. In 2015, I became director of the ski patrol and started a mountain bike patrol chapter for downhill lift-served bikers. We bought some land on the Pelican River and Mill Pond in the pine and spruce woods and built a downsized house after selling our home in town. Because of the head injury, I sold my two-wheeled motorcycles and bought a Harley TriGlide, a three-wheeled motorcycle. I put 55,000 miles on it before selling it due to a skiing accident. (I shattered a clavicle and broke seven ribs, mucking up my shoulder.)

I love winter and don't ever see myself moving south like so many Minnesota snowbirds. A week or two per year on a Caribbean beach seems to be just enough warm weather. Overall, I love the life I have now. I ski all winter, ride mountain bikes all summer, play with the grandkids and do whatever I feel like. I didn't have to run away in order to retool my life.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 12:44 AM   #147
rob495
"TRF" Member

Congrats Joey, sounds like you have had a blessed life being able to do the things you love. You didn't let adversity crush your spirit, what a great example of how to live life. Stay safe
rob495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 12:58 AM   #148
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats Joey! Thanks for chiming in

Love this thread as it may open the eyes to an 'alternative' and more joyful way of living one's life (instead of just existing day-in and day-out monotonously without much thought to viable alternatives).

Quote:
Hey if it's good enough for Cousin Eddy (Randy Quaid), it's good enough for you.
Motor coach living at it's finest.
LOL love your humor :)

Anyone here has ever been to a pro racing event and seen the $300k RVs? Even a nice $100k RV is very livable. During Ferrari HPDE days and other track events saw a few ~$1m RVs that are incredibly luxurious (dare we say better than a traditional home).

----
----

How about living on a sailboat? Many do this and sail to various countries. Another viable alternative

Old 20 January 2023, 01:04 AM   #149
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
… I didn't have to run away in order to retool my life.
I think that’s hugely important, and truly happy for you Joey. It sounds like you’re at peace and enjoying life to the fullest.

Many of us can picture what it might be like “doing another life” (well maybe not living out of a van for a decade - at least for me, but I digress).

Sometimes a reset is required, but maybe not always as drastic as we might fantasize.
Old 20 January 2023, 01:47 AM   #150
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
(well maybe not living out of a van for a decade - at least for me, but I digress).
I understand, especially as your van would have Free Candy written on the side

free-candy.jpg

Btw, have you ever seen a properly built-out van? Have you ever traveled in an RV for vacation? How about a nice sailboat for a week of fun? As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it.