The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 February 2024, 12:59 AM   #31
av1atic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
This is a forum, in which I have learnt a lot from, and I am trying to learn about this watch.
The point of the post is to learn. Just because Scott is local to you and you have had a good dealing with him, it doesn't mean he can't be wrong.
To me, unpolished means just that. The experts here think that he is wrong. It's not an attack or a pile on him.
The overall tone of your original post doesn’t suggest someone wanting to learn, but rather wanting to start a “pile on” - which is why those who have dealt with him numerous times are providing their input. There are a handful of better ways you could’ve gone about this inquiry of yours.
av1atic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 01:12 AM   #32
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Not all of the experts. Greekbum, for one, sees an honest case there.
Honest case and unpolished are not the same thing?
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 01:14 AM   #33
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by av1atic View Post
The overall tone of your original post doesn’t suggest someone wanting to learn, but rather wanting to start a “pile on” - which is why those who have dealt with him numerous times are providing their input. There are a handful of better ways you could’ve gone about this inquiry of yours.
If you care to look back, my original post asked if I was uneducated or the seller was misrepresenting the watch.

"Is this just me not knowing enough or do you think their claim to not be true?"

There shouldn't be an issue with people asking if a watch is unpolished or not. You are too sensitive.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 01:20 AM   #34
av1atic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you care to look back, my original post asked if I was uneducated or the seller was misrepresenting the watch.

"Is this just me not knowing enough or do you think their claim to not be true?"

There shouldn't be an issue with people asking if a watch is unpolished or not. You are too sensitive.
Your original post said a lot more than the one liner you pasted.

You’re also confusing being “too sensitive” with having common decency. Anyways, good luck with your learning journey.
Old 13 February 2024, 02:06 AM   #35
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Honest case and unpolished are not the same thing?
And he also said “To the untrained eye it might not look good but to the trained eyes the watch is as described.”

It’s described as unpolished.
Old 13 February 2024, 02:16 AM   #36
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Also MK1 from same period

https://www.instagram.com/vintage_georgex/
suligeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 05:15 AM   #37
jedione65
"TRF" Member

It looks like a nice case. The question really is - with all of the laser welding and refinishing of cases these days, does anyone really know what a NOS mint case would look like? It seem the consensus is, if it too good to be true, it probably is. How can you really trust a dealer that is trying to sell you something in their own interest anyway? They could say whatever they want about the originality of the watch if it helps them sell the watch faster and for more profit.

I would like to see someone compare and post a NOS watch and then see what everyone else here thinks. Does it exist?
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 07:14 AM   #38
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedione65 View Post
It looks like a nice case. The question really is - with all of the laser welding and refinishing of cases these days, does anyone really know what a NOS mint case would look like? It seem the consensus is, if it too good to be true, it probably is. How can you really trust a dealer that is trying to sell you something in their own interest anyway? They could say whatever they want about the originality of the watch if it helps them sell the watch faster and for more profit.

I would like to see someone compare and post a NOS watch and then see what everyone else here thinks. Does it exist?
The seller never claimed the watch was NOS.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 07:28 AM   #39
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I like the watch and I think that it's honest. I also understand that the seller is well-respected and probably has many friends on the forum. But I don't think that's the question.

I am wondering if some people in this thread are interpreting the question differently than others. And maybe the word "unpolished" has taken on a new meaning. Some people are apparently using "unpolished" to indicate that the case retains its general original shape. But that's not how I interpret the term, and maybe that's why it bothers me. "Insane," "crazy," "unpolished," "pumpkin," "all-original," "NOS," "minty" ... give me a break. And then when things are obviously wrong, they're not mentioned. For goodness sake, we're selling and buying 5-figure items, let's be adults.

I would only call a watch unpolished if it showed no signs of previous polishing using a buffing wheel. I understand that it's uncommon that a watch would be truly unpolished, but I personally feel that the term should be reserved for those rare occasions. Looking at the lugs and bezel ring of the OP watch, I'd never make that claim.

I agree with your understanding of using the word “unpolished”. 100%.
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 08:08 AM   #40
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

Can I ask what the issue is around pumpkin? Is it the word to describe anything that isn’t white or is it something else?
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 08:17 AM   #41
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Wouldn't it be nice to have some consistent grading scales that could be applied then referenced.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 08:47 AM   #42
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Never seen bevels run the full length of lug tip to crown?
Old 13 February 2024, 09:19 AM   #43
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlobby View Post
Can I ask what the issue is around pumpkin? Is it the word to describe anything that isn’t white or is it something else?
Are you still carving your Jack O' Lanterns out of turnips? :-)
Old 13 February 2024, 06:04 PM   #44
XavierM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
This is perfectly fine IMO
Old 13 February 2024, 06:21 PM   #45
XavierM
"TRF" Member

The position of the Chamfers in relation to the lug hole does not wave a red flag for me on a 69 watch.

What surprises me is the sharpness of the CG compared to the condition of the bezel or the caseback.
Bracelet seems to have more wear on the inside compared to the outside.

Could have been partially restored at some point, could be a little build up with caseback and bezel coming from another watch to make this one look all period correct.
Old 13 February 2024, 08:22 PM   #46
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
yeah I caught that too but wasn't sure
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 03:15 AM   #47
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The seller never claimed the watch was NOS.
I wasn’t implying this seller ever said the case was NOS. Only hypothetically speaking, if a dealer was to present a vintage watch as NOS (if such watch existed) - would you have a hard time believing given all the above?
My point is - does anyone know what “unpolished” or “NOS” cases would look like anymore? Is there a standard we should be comparing it to (aside from the watch pictures you see in old Rolex ads).
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 04:43 AM   #48
av1atic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedione65 View Post
I wasn’t implying this seller ever said the case was NOS. Only hypothetically speaking, if a dealer was to present a vintage watch as NOS (if such watch existed) - would you have a hard time believing given all the above?
My point is - does anyone know what “unpolished” or “NOS” cases would look like anymore? Is there a standard we should be comparing it to (aside from the watch pictures you see in old Rolex ads).
There will likely never be an industry rule on how watches must be presented. Whether we like it or not, the onus is always on the buyer to make the determination on if the watch is accurately described - and part of that has to do with trusting the seller. When you browse online and examine in-person enough watches, verifying claims becomes easier, too.

But your earlier question of..

“How can you really trust a dealer that is trying to sell you something in their own interest anyway? They could say whatever they want about the originality of the watch if it helps them sell the watch faster and for more profit.”

..is very myopic and implies that every dealer with a longstanding positive reputation is always trying to one-up their clients and screw them to the max on any given transaction. I don’t know if you’ve ever run a business, but this obviously isn’t a viable strategy for someone wanting to build anything meaningful. And you certainly don’t get several repeat clients that way.
Old 14 February 2024, 04:51 AM   #49
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you still carving your Jack O' Lanterns out of turnips? :-)
I’m more of a 5th of November guy than fiddling around with vegetables.

But I would like to know if the over use of pumpkin is to do with describing something that isn’t or artificially changing appearance of lume plots.
Old 14 February 2024, 05:17 AM   #50
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlobby View Post
I’m more of a 5th of November guy than fiddling around with vegetables.

But I would like to know if the over use of pumpkin is to do with describing something that isn’t or artificially changing appearance of lume plots.
Pumpkin-colored lume plots occur naturally, IMO. However, like many things that become trendy, "hype dealers" overuse the term. And there is some suspicion that some sellers have found a way to create the color artificially, although I really have no idea if that's true.
Old 14 February 2024, 05:23 AM   #51
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Pumpkin-colored lume plots occur naturally, IMO. However, like many things that become trendy, "hype dealers" overuse the term. And there is some suspicion that some sellers have found a way to create the color artificially, although I really have no idea if that's true.
There was a well-known Honk Kong dealer we all remember who used to sell many vintage watches with very striking, yellowy-orange lume. There is also a well-known repairer/dial-re-painter in Hong Kong who advertises watches he’s refinished with identical color lume.
Old 14 February 2024, 05:31 AM   #52
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Both replies are interesting to hear.

Now back to polished/unpolished/never polished.

Go!!!