The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 July 2018, 02:13 AM   #1
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Chances of finding a NOS F.C Diver or 44ROO

Yes I know DavidSW has a NOS FC Diver up for sale last week and I missed it!

Would like some material diversity in my collection and fancy adding a forged carbon piece, based on the case material I’m only really interested in unworn examples.

Anyone know of any sitting about, highly unlikely I know but worth asking!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:19 AM   #2
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post

Would like some material diversity in my collection and fancy adding a forged carbon piece, based on the case material I’m only really interested in unworn examples.

Why only unworn? The FC cases are very durable, I wouldn't sweat that but if you have your mind made up, I get it.
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:26 AM   #3
ragsk
Banned

There are a couple of new / unworn 44s on Chrono24. No idea about seller reputation.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:41 AM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
The one DavidSW had went fast. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one. Just get close up pics to make sure the case edges are in good condition. Would do the same with ceramic to make sure its not chipped or any metal to make sure its not scratched/dented.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:47 AM   #5
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I wanted to buy David's but would have had to move too much stuff to comfortable afford it, so I went with a SS Diver instead. Plus, I intended to wear it so to buy NOS seemed a waste since I would have immediately pulled the stickers off.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 05:40 AM   #6
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Why only unworn? The FC cases are very durable, I wouldn't sweat that but if you have your mind made up, I get it.
Granted I’ve only seen a handful of F.C pieces but two had marks on the crown guards or case.

Plus I’ve always had a thing about preowned watches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
There are a couple of new / unworn 44s on Chrono24. No idea about seller reputation.
Very limited UK stock and as you saw some unknown sellers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
The one DavidSW had went fast. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one. Just get close up pics to make sure the case edges are in good condition. Would do the same with ceramic to make sure its not chipped or any metal to make sure its not scratched/dented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
I wanted to buy David's but would have had to move too much stuff to comfortable afford it, so I went with a SS Diver instead. Plus, I intended to wear it so to buy NOS seemed a waste since I would have immediately pulled the stickers off.
Yeah I saw David’s go up and a few days later a friend who’s a member messaged me as it went in DavidSW’s sale but I decided to sleep on it.
Wrong move
Old 10 July 2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
FC is not as durable as ceramic. Not even close. Have a look at watches with FC bezels and the edges often have damage/chunks missing. This is not easy to see as FC hides it well but it is often their on well worn watches.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 09:02 AM   #8
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
FC is not as durable as ceramic. Not even close. Have a look at watches with FC bezels and the edges often have damage/chunks missing. This is not easy to see as FC hides it well but it is often their on well worn watches.
Agreed. My Jarno Trulli's edges started looking a bit soft after a few years of frequent wear. A lot of used pieces I've seen have this same issue, especially the GPs that have carbon bezels (many of them have very rounded bezels).

As cool as the forged carbon material is, I'd go with ceramic after that experience with the FC.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 09:09 AM   #9
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Guess I am new to FC but the way I look at it; even if after 4-5 years I need to drop 4K for a new case, so be it. I spend way more than that to care for other objects in my possession over that timeframe and those lose value. Pay to play and the carbon looks bad ass. The ceramic, while very cool, just looks a little plain to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 10:03 AM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
Early FC was much worse than the more modern version. Try dropping ceramic on a tile floor or bumping it on a granite counter. It will chip or even shatter. FC wont have an issue. I have 2 extra FC cases (carbon concept and 44mm ROO) and did some tests like this awhile back. Scratch tests, drop tests, etc. and no noticeable damage. SS was easier to scratch and dent than FC. I didn't test ceramic but I think dropping it from around 5 feet on to a tile floor would cause some expensive damage.

I can only speak from around 6 years of almost daily wear on my H series FC diver but he case still looks new. Although now it shares beater duty with my CE 44mm.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:24 PM   #11
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Guys. I have just got Jarno last week. This watch is originally purchased in 2011 and it looks completely like new. I guess 2011 Fc should not belong to new carbon case era

I had hesitated to get AP FC watch because of durable issue. But it seems a bit exagerrated.

Yes carbon might not be suitable for bezel. But for watch case, it should be okay i guess
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:55 PM   #12
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
FC44 is a great watch. I had one before selling it to make room for a CE44. Every case is different. It looks fantastic in the sun too. The only down side I saw was the edges lost a little sharpness over time. Other than that, the case hid scratches very well and it made for a great daily piece.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 07:20 PM   #13
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post

A dealer I have dealt with here has an F.C. Diver for sale - presumably used, though, and the duties to get it into the UK may be a bit much

PM me if you want the connect
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:50 PM   #14
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
A dealer I have dealt with here has an F.C. Diver for sale - presumably used, though, and the duties to get it into the UK may be a bit much

PM me if you want the connect
Thank you, currently looking into UK/EU options first.
Old 13 July 2018, 08:21 AM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Have you considered in ceramic? Mine is 4 years old and looks brand new, super cool watch
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:24 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
My ceramic diver isn't new by any means, but once I clean and dry it, its like having a new watch...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:48 AM   #17
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
My ceramic diver isn't new by any means, but once I clean and dry it, its like having a new watch...
I think this is why my Ce 44mm and FC diver get all the wrist time. They both look brand new no matter how much I wear them or bump them around in daily activity. I even tried to get AP to put ceramic crowns on my FC diver because that is the only part that shows wear. Unfortunately they wouldn't do it.
Old 13 July 2018, 04:20 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i really love the FC diver. For the 44 id probably rather have the older ceramic version instead of FC. So i would go diver here.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:41 PM   #19
eonflux
"TRF" Member

FC still my favorite 44mm ROO chrono.
Mint/near mint should be OK.

The edges of mine stayed sharp.
Looked new when I let it go.
Miss it.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:15 PM   #20
SC11
Banned

Found a couple of NOS options with the FC 44 but all US based and only pre-owned on the FC Diver.