The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2023, 01:38 AM   #1
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Rolex Box References

So we all know Rolex boxes aren't the greatest, we all know they're made by 3rd party companies (potentially around the globe), and we all know it's the watch that matters and we don't wear the box, etc. (Just pre-empting the inevitable comments! )

However, from a slightly/very(!) nerdy standpoint, I was recently looking to replace a damaged box of mine, and I've come across various reference numbers for essentially the same box. The current medium "Oyster M" box seems to be available with at least four different reference numbers 39139.01, 39139.04, 39139.64 and 39139.8064. They all look the same in pictures and videos, so does anyone know the actual differences?

Secondly, as an aside, does anyone know the current reference (i.e. last 10 years) for the small "Oyster S" box, as again there are variants - 39137.01 and 39137.71, maybe more.

And lastly, does anyone know of a list of box references by date? I've seen a couple of lists for vintage boxes, but nothing covering the last 10 to 15 years.
Old 23 September 2023, 09:45 AM   #2
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

Contact John Buckley. He is the authority on Rolex and has everything.

Bought my 16610 original box, booklets and hang tags from John
oak3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 11:32 AM   #3
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Look at the reference number on your damaged box. Buy that one. It will then be the same box reference as you’re trying to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 12:24 PM   #4
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
So we all know Rolex boxes aren't the greatest, we all know they're made by 3rd party companies (potentially around the globe), and we all know it's the watch that matters and we don't wear the box, etc. (Just pre-empting the inevitable comments! )

However, from a slightly/very(!) nerdy standpoint, I was recently looking to replace a damaged box of mine, and I've come across various reference numbers for essentially the same box. The current medium "Oyster M" box seems to be available with at least four different reference numbers 39139.01, 39139.04, 39139.64 and 39139.8064. They all look the same in pictures and videos, so does anyone know the actual differences?

Secondly, as an aside, does anyone know the current reference (i.e. last 10 years) for the small "Oyster S" box, as again there are variants - 39137.01 and 39137.71, maybe more.

And lastly, does anyone know of a list of box references by date? I've seen a couple of lists for vintage boxes, but nothing covering the last 10 to 15 years.
Appreciate this thread as I was wondering the same things, along with the warranty cards. I feel like the slotted prior version would pop up more often in Europe even after the new card was released where the US adapted to the new "display" version faster.

I have seen a 39139.8064 (outside US) and wonder if the serials are market specific.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 05:58 PM   #5
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak3x View Post
Contact John Buckley. He is the authority on Rolex and has everything.

Bought my 16610 original box, booklets and hang tags from John
Thanks a lot for the suggestion - I’ll give him a try. John Buckley of the “Buckley dial” fame
Old 23 September 2023, 06:05 PM   #6
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan81 View Post
Look at the reference number on your damaged box. Buy that one. It will then be the same box reference as you’re trying to replace.
Well of course that’s the way to replace like-for-like, but the search (for an 39139.01 incidentally) started me down a rabbit hole of different box reference numbers and a curiosity to understand them. I’m a bit surprised there’s no-one here who’s an authority on them as there’s always usually someone out there who knows the most obscure stuff about Rolex!
Old 23 September 2023, 08:05 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Well of course that’s the way to replace like-for-like, but the search (for an 39139.01 incidentally) started me down a rabbit hole of different box reference numbers and a curiosity to understand them. I’m a bit surprised there’s no-one here who’s an authority on them as there’s always usually someone out there who knows the most obscure stuff about Rolex!
As long as its a period correct box for what your watches time frame was in makes no difference the numbers on the box, they are just numbers and not any particular date as boxes are made world wide by third parties authorised by Rolex..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2023, 11:34 PM   #8
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
What’s the model of the watch?
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 07:59 AM   #9
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
This is all I have seen: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74592
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2023, 10:19 AM   #10
Lavish_watches
"TRF" Member

what watch are you talking about?
Lavish_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 11:13 AM   #11
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you find out anything else on the references in your first post?
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 11:18 AM   #12
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Make sure you buy from someone reputable, there are tons of fakes out there.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote