The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 November 2023, 09:18 AM   #1
Mrn5225
"TRF" Member

Tips and advice for selling watches

I have a couple watch for sale, I won’t post the here as to not violate any terms of these forum, but I’m getting discouraged, so far it’s been scammer after scammer, from changing addresses last second on PayPal to mailing fake checks to sending fake invoices marked as paid to my emails , also a couple phishing nonsense from this very forum . The email of the guy or girl trying to phish is onecheck675@gmail.com btw so don’t fall for it . I’m new to this and am trying to get into selling and trading watch’s , I have them listed here eBay chronos and thinking about Reddit . Does anyone have any advice to get these watches sold ? It would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mrn5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:37 AM   #2
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
For starters your prices are too high
You have no feedback or reputation here.
People would rather buy at a better price from a known dealer.
Good luck trying to become a watch dealer if you can't even figure out the basics.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:39 AM   #3
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Just sell them to a trusted grey. It's the easiest way. Unless you plan on signing up for Watch Diller University.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 09:40 AM   #4
Mrn5225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
For starters your prices are too high
You have no feedback or reputation here.
People would rather buy at a better price from a known dealer.
Good luck trying to become a watch dealer if you can't even figure out the basics.

Thanks , ya I have no feedback because I am new into this I understand that people may think it’s risky to deal with me , but all these dealers and traders have to start somewhere right? Thanks for the input on the prices , I calculated them thinking that people would negotiate. I appreciate your feedback though thank!

Old 12 November 2023, 09:44 AM   #5
WatchTimes

Yeah if you were a watch dealer you would price them based of the actual market not #s made up in your head. Sorry I do not see people trusting someone who just joined the forum, has no sale history and is trying to get a lot more than reputable sellers for the same models.

Good luck!

Old 12 November 2023, 09:48 AM   #6
Mrn5225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
Yeah if you were a watch dealer you would price them based of the actual market not #s made up in your head. Sorry I do not see people trusting someone who just joined the forum, has no sale history and is trying to get a lot more than reputable sellers for the same models.

Good luck!

Where would you get these market average prices , I have been using watch charts is there any better options?

Old 12 November 2023, 10:02 AM   #7
WatchTimes

Yeah look at what others are asking....
If you think you just throw a couple pics and a # out there you have a lot to learn about sales in general.

This isn't watch dealer school. People spend years working for dealers to learn this business.

Old 12 November 2023, 10:04 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It is really tough to privately sell watches. Your best bet is just to sell them a dealer. The dealer will send you an insured overnight label and pay upon receipt. Minor stuff doesn't matter as they buff it all out. You will be getting current used wholesale but in actuality ii is fairly close to what you can get as an unknown seller. The prices you see on Watchcharts are mostly professional sellers. People will pay more to a professional seller for the peace of mind, authentication, return policies and warranties. With a private seller you have no idea what you are buying or whether they will even ship you a watch. So private sellers have to sharply compromise on price to close deals. Plus, buyers are picky, a little scratch seen only in bright light, and they get mad. Just not worth the hassles.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 10:12 AM   #9
Mrn5225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It is really tough to privately sell watches. Your best bet is just to sell them a dealer. The dealer will send you an insured overnight label and pay upon receipt. Minor stuff doesn't matter as they buff it all out. You will be getting current used wholesale but in actuality ii is fairly close to what you can get as an unknown seller. The prices you see on Watchcharts are mostly professional sellers. People will pay more to a professional seller for the peace of mind, authentication, return policies and warranties. With a private seller you have no idea what you are buying or whether they will even ship you a watch. So private sellers have to sharply compromise on price to close deals. Plus, buyers are picky, a little scratch seen only in bright light, and they get mad. Just not worth the hassles.

Thanks ! This is great advice , I thinking I’m going to push forward maybe lower prices and get some sales under my belt and build up a reputation, I love watches and this is a passion for me , I’ve also have had a small business for over 10 years and I know what it takes to make a business flourish . Hopefully someone will take chance on me. Thanks for the input and for not being condescending

Old 12 November 2023, 10:44 AM   #10
SteveY
"TRF" Member

Good luck

Must start somewhere, anyone can start a business, the challenge is maintaining the business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrn5225 View Post
Thanks ! This is great advice , I thinking I’m going to push forward maybe lower prices and get some sales under my belt and build up a reputation, I love watches and this is a passion for me , I’ve also have had a small business for over 10 years and I know what it takes to make a business flourish . Hopefully someone will take chance on me. Thanks for the input and for not being condescending

SteveY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 01:50 PM   #11
Mrn5225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY View Post
Good luck

Must start somewhere, anyone can start a business, the challenge is maintaining the business

Thanks buddy

Old 12 November 2023, 02:00 PM   #12
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

I will say, if you are looking at starting to trade watches as a business, you have picked one of the worst times to start. It's absolutely cutthroat out there, as far as resellers of used watches are concerned. Many of the more reputable, medium-sized resellers are working on margins of $100 on a $10k watch. Good luck.
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 07:15 PM   #13
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrn5225 View Post
I’ve also have had a small business for over 10 years and I know what it takes to make a business flourish . Hopefully someone will take chance on me.
Even if you've built a small business before, you'll find that becoming a successful full-time watch dealer requires deep connections in the watch industry and at the same time being able to grow a loyal client base.

The watch industry also has its own culture and it takes time to learn it and to be fully integrated into it. Trying to do everything on your own will be an automatic failure. You'll need the support of other dealers. And that whole network is built on trust. When you're a new dealer, you start at the very bottom and you're expected to always take on the riskier side of transactions because you're the new guy. No established dealer will simply take your word that you'll ship a watch to them after they wire you some money.

On the client side of things, it's not just about finding someone to take a chance on you. Creating a "for sale" post and sitting back while hoping someone will buy your watch is not a viable strategy. There are many, many other established sellers trying to do the same thing you are doing right now. You'll need to built up a reputation as well and that takes a lot of time.

If you just want to sell off a portion of your collection, I highly recommend just go to a trusted dealer to sell them. You won't get much money back but at least you'll be relatively safe. If you continue with private sales, then you'll keep running into scammers until you get lucky and find someone honest and genuine. You can try eBay or Chrono24, they have some safeguards but you also have to pay their hefty fees to use their platform.
bay_area_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 08:05 PM   #14
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
I just saw your postings. As someone said above, you have no reputation and yet your initial asking prices are insanely high. And you are also asking people to wire you money first! Who in their right mind will send a wire to a complete stranger with an email address of "mrm5552255@gmail.com"? If you haven't realized yet, your email address suspiciously looks like a bot or scammer account.

Also, your Datejust II is overpolished to hell. $10,250 asking price for an overpolished Datejust II signals every scammer out there that you don't know what you are doing and therefore you may be an easy target. That's probably why you're getting so many scam attempts.

First lesson you need to learn is how to evaluate the condition of a watch and pricing it accordingly. That means knowing what the actual market given the condition of the watch.

Don't just look at watchcharts.com summary or Chrono24. Watchcharts always lag behind the current market because their data is older. They don't have a real-time data feed like stock tickers. In this current slow market, Chrono24 simply shows watches that are not selling. So consider anything listed there as overpriced.
bay_area_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 12:53 PM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Weak pieces and high prices…..recipe for disaster…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 10:40 AM   #16
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
I got a PM from "jspdl" this evening asking me to send photos of a SkyD that I listed:

Hello,

I'm interested in your watch. Can you send me more pics/details to my email: onecheck675@gmail.com

Thanks

John

Looks like his PM was cleaned out of my inbox already by the mods
Old 23 November 2023, 10:47 AM   #17
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Nerd View Post
I got a PM from "jspdl" this evening asking me to send photos of a SkyD that I listed:

Hello,

I'm interested in your watch. Can you send me more pics/details to my email: onecheck675@gmail.com

Thanks

John

Looks like his PM was cleaned out of my inbox already by the mods
Received the same message this afternoon on a piece I already sold. Mods are definitely all over it as my inbox is already void of that message
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 11:31 AM   #18
Yomada
2024 Pledge Member

Good luck, as everyone have said you have to start somewhere. Do your homework on everyone who contact you. Maybe only sell locally and be careful not to get robbed. Start contributing on this and other forums so others know who you are. I remember Andrew Shear started about 15 years ago on VRF. Look at Mr. Shear now!! There are also other platforms like ebay and chrono24 one can sell.
Yomada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 12:55 PM   #19
AndVegas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Day-Date 18238
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
Received the same message this afternoon on a piece I already sold. Mods are definitely all over it as my inbox is already void of that message
Ditto. PM received and purged by mods. Thanks all!
AndVegas is offline   Reply With Quote