The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2021, 01:04 PM   #1
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Any love for the 5170R?

Either the black or the white dial. Don't see it much on social media, or hear much about it.

Any owners (or previous owners) want to share their experience?

The dial seems to have a lot of white / blank space. Does that make it wear pretty large for a 39.5mm watch?
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:09 PM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I like 5170r-010 black dial, it’s gorgeous and elegant.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:21 PM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5170 is a very under-rated and under-appreciated reference. It will not be a leading contender for a popularity contest as people flock to the Nautilus and Aquanaut for that.

However the 5170 follows a long tradition of Patek manufacturing manual wind chronos. If you have seen one in person, you can't look at the movement side and not be in awe of the beauty of this movement. The dimensions of this watch is more proportional than the previous 5070 reference. It is a great chrono watch!

If you like it, go for it
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:26 PM   #4
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The 5170 is a very under-rated and under-appreciated reference. It will not be a leading contender for a popularity contest as people flock to the Nautilus and Aquanaut for that.

However the 5170 follows a long tradition of Patek manufacturing manual wind chronos. If you have seen one in person, you can't look at the movement side and not be in awe of the beauty of this movement. The dimensions of this watch is more proportional than the previous 5070 reference. It is a great chrono watch!

Totally agreed. Not sure why people don't care for it as much; but at least I'm getting something off MSRP! I'm close to pulling the trigger, just not sure the variant. Breguet numerals are so gorgeous, and I want them on the time piece. I love the pulsations dial of the white gold variant, but I just love the way gold looks on me. So, between the two R variants and the G variants I'm a bit stuck
Old 11 August 2021, 10:42 PM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Imho White dial R is the best of the bunch.
Old 11 August 2021, 11:13 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
Totally agreed. Not sure why people don't care for it as much; but at least I'm getting something off MSRP! I'm close to pulling the trigger, just not sure the variant. Breguet numerals are so gorgeous, and I want them on the time piece. I love the pulsations dial of the white gold variant, but I just love the way gold looks on me. So, between the two R variants and the G variants I'm a bit stuck
There are watch purists and then there are watch trend followers. The 5170 is a respected watch amongst purists. Amongst trend followers and those looking at the watch as an investment - asking how much one can sell it for in 6mth, a year or 5 years, it is not a watch of interest.

TRF over the past few years have become more of a forum for discussion of which watch is trendy and valuation of watches. A lot of purists are no longer on this forum. There is another watch discussion forum that has a larger group of watch purists, in case you want to do a search.

Between the 5170G and the 5170R, it is a tough choice, as they are both excellent choices. The 5170G white dial was originally referred to as a "doctor's watch" as it had a clean white dial and had the pulsometer. The Breguet numerals are quite nice on the watch. Some people prefer the warmth of the RG metal on the 5170R. If you can, try both on your wrist and purchase the one that brings a smile to your face
Old 11 August 2021, 11:34 PM   #7
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:

TRF over the past few years have become more of a forum for discussion of which watch is trendy and valuation of watches. A lot of purists are no longer on this forum. There is another watch discussion forum that has a larger group of watch purists, in case you want to do a search.

Name of that forum? :)
Old 12 August 2021, 02:35 AM   #8
Jim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
https://www.watchprosite.com/
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 03:05 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
I don't the rules regarding naming other watch forums that may be a competitor to TRF. However the forum is where a watch "purist" can go to discuss watches without regards to watch valuation or how much one will lose or gain on re-sale. A search for the word in quotations should easily direct one to that forum.
Old 12 August 2021, 03:38 AM   #10
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Thanks!
Old 12 August 2021, 04:41 AM   #11
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

It’s a nice watch but I would always go 1815 chrono in that segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 05:05 AM   #12
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
It’s a nice watch but I would always go 1815 chrono in that segment.

I do really, really like the 1815 Chrono - particularly the red gold, argente dial variant. No one does RG like Lange, not to mention the obviously incredible movement. However, the deeply off-equator subdials -- sitting so far below the 3-9 line -- seriously throw the balance of the dial. It would bother me every time I look at it, aside from 10:10. While the sub-dials sit lower than the 3-9 on the 5170, they do not bother me.

The new 1815 honeygold rattrapante gives me hope for things to come from Lange in their chronograph line. My sense is stripping the Dato movement of its date and throwing it in a new watch is not enough "Lange" - they are capable of better and they know it.

Lange makes some incredible dial layouts - of course, the Lange 1 is truly incredible, but also the Richard Lange Jumping Seconds, and the Zeitwerk. I do not think the 1815 Chrono is one of them.
Old 12 August 2021, 05:13 AM   #13
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't the rules regarding naming other watch forums that may be a competitor to TRF. However the forum is where a watch "purist" can go to discuss watches without regards to watch valuation or how much one will lose or gain on re-sale. A search for the word in quotations should easily direct one to that forum.
I appreciate what you have to say as a collector. Thank you for always responding kindly and honestly. I probably belong more on the purist forum, I suppose, because I think the Nautilus and Aquanauts are cool watches, I think they justify their MSRP, nut not anywhere close to their current market values.

I like all kinds of watches from all kinds of brands, but particularly those where the craft is executed to the highest degree and, more often than not, subtle (with a major exception for MB&F and DeBethune - watches I admire, but do not yet own). The 5170 line, to me, falls in this camp. Sheer beauty, and incredible execution. The 5170 is not trying to be a casual watch. It is a dress watch, through and through. It *is* what it is *trying to be.*

I am not much of a collector - but an enthusiast. I appreciate the pleasure of looking down at a watch that makes me smile. I do not appreciate the tickle of increased perceived social value because of the watch I'm wearing. Yes, I feel it - I am only human, after all - but I would rather maximize the intrinsic feeling I get from wearing a finely crafted mechanical timepiece vs. the feeling of badassness I get from wearing something flashy.
Old 12 August 2021, 05:42 AM   #14
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do really, really like the 1815 Chrono - particularly the red gold, argente dial variant. No one does RG like Lange, not to mention the obviously incredible movement. However, the deeply off-equator subdials -- sitting so far below the 3-9 line -- seriously throw the balance of the dial. It would bother me every time I look at it, aside from 10:10. While the sub-dials sit lower than the 3-9 on the 5170, they do not bother me.

The new 1815 honeygold rattrapante gives me hope for things to come from Lange in their chronograph line. My sense is stripping the Dato movement of its date and throwing it in a new watch is not enough "Lange" - they are capable of better and they know it.

Lange makes some incredible dial layouts - of course, the Lange 1 is truly incredible, but also the Richard Lange Jumping Seconds, and the Zeitwerk. I do not think the 1815 Chrono is one of them.

Interesting perspective - I’ve never seen the 1815 chrono only as a Dato without date. For me it’s an awesome watch on a standalone basis, especially the first gen models, but I get where you’re coming from.
Let’s see what Lange comes up next.
On the 5170 - I clearly prefer the white gold, black dial

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 05:56 AM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I once saw the black dial at a Patek dealer, ever since that day it has been the one Patek I really want.

It has a beautiful case which you don't see often anymore, it reminds me of something vintage from the 50s. The Breguet numerals are stunning, I love the dial layout, it's a chrono so not too basic. Plus it looks beautiful on so many straps.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 06:11 AM   #16
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I once saw the black dial at a Patek dealer, ever since that day it has been the one Patek I really want.

It has a beautiful case which you don't see often anymore, it reminds me of something vintage from the 50s. The Breguet numerals are stunning, I love the dial layout, it's a chrono so not too basic. Plus it looks beautiful on so many straps.
The black dial is as sexy as it gets. However, this is a gift (that I'm mostly funding ) and the fiancee does not like me in dark dials because I have dark brown skin. Too much darkness!

Attached is a pic of me wearing the 5170G at a shop in NYC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8164.jpeg (92.8 KB, 537 views)
Old 12 August 2021, 06:12 AM   #17
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Now the 5170R from many months ago; couldn't fasten it so couldn't take a mirror shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5613.jpeg (139.8 KB, 531 views)
Old 12 August 2021, 06:18 AM   #18
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Dress watches aren’t en Vogue. Crocs are.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 06:29 AM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The black dial is as sexy as it gets. However, this is a gift (that I'm mostly funding ) and the fiancee does not like me in dark dials because I have dark brown skin. Too much darkness!

Attached is a pic of me wearing the 5170G at a shop in NYC.
I think the white gold case looks the best on you. More vibrant, the rose gold tones it down.

White is probably the best choice, since the dial is a bit different as well.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 06:36 AM   #20
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I think the white gold case looks the best on you. More vibrant, the rose gold tones it down.

White is probably the best choice, since the dial is a bit different as well.
I think you might be right. The watch is really spectacular.

Ironically, the same day I tried on the 5170R, I also wore a Lange 1 TZ that really knocked me out. It was never a watch that got me going in pictures, I was always more of a Lange 1 Moon Phase kinda guy. But man, did that thing look fantastic on the wrist. Have considered flipping my steel ceramic Daytona for it, blasphemous as that may sound! Was only $25k at the time, but probably more like $35k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5621.jpeg (145.1 KB, 523 views)
Old 12 August 2021, 06:39 AM   #21
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Of the 5170s, for me, the 5170P-001 (platinum, blue sunburst dial, diamond baguette indices) is the one to get!

If you are set on a white dial dress chrono, & depending on your preference/wrist size & shape, I'd take a look at the Vacheron Historiques Cornes de Vache 1955, too. I think it wears just a little smaller than the 5170 & is a gorgeous watch.

p.s. I also vote for the white metal.

Last edited by Dr.Stu; 12 August 2021 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: p.s.
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 06:45 AM   #22
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
Of the 5170s, for me, the 5170P-001 (platinum, blue sunburst dial, diamond baguette indices) is the one to get!

If you are set on a white dial dress chrono, & depending on your preference/wrist size & shape, I'd take a look at the Vacheron Historiques Cornes de Vache 1955, too. I think it wears just a little smaller than the 5170 & is a gorgeous watch.
I have owned the 5170P, but didn't find that is for me. It is an insanely gorgeous watch - don't get me wrong. I just didn't find the blue dial to be as flexible with what I wear. While I loved the watch, I appreciated more as a piece of art than I did as an accessory to my life. Ultimately, I'm not in the tax bracket to collect pieces I don't wear regularly. It's sad, because I VASTLY prefer platinum to white gold for white metals. It's even more sad because I sold it just a few weeks before it jumped up $40k! C'est la vie.

I'm actually going to see the CDV in red gold on Friday at the new VC boutique in NYC. I don't like the look of the lugs from photos, but trying it on I may feel differently. Love the dial and case! Fit on the wrist is a crucial element.

Speaking of that watch, the piece unique made for Wei Koh is completely out of this world. The brushed dial makes a world of difference.

https://revolutionwatch.com/bespoke-time/
https://youtu.be/HBiqY8nzwJw?t=276
Old 12 August 2021, 08:26 AM   #23
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have owned the 5170P, but didn't find that is for me. It is an insanely gorgeous watch - don't get me wrong. I just didn't find the blue dial to be as flexible with what I wear. While I loved the watch, I appreciated more as a piece of art than I did as an accessory to my life. Ultimately, I'm not in the tax bracket to collect pieces I don't wear regularly. It's sad, because I VASTLY prefer platinum to white gold for white metals. It's even more sad because I sold it just a few weeks before it jumped up $40k! C'est la vie.

I'm actually going to see the CDV in red gold on Friday at the new VC boutique in NYC. I don't like the look of the lugs from photos, but trying it on I may feel differently. Love the dial and case! Fit on the wrist is a crucial element.

Speaking of that watch, the piece unique made for Wei Koh is completely out of this world. The brushed dial makes a world of difference.

https://revolutionwatch.com/bespoke-time/
https://youtu.be/HBiqY8nzwJw?t=276
That brushed dial with the pulsometer tachy scale is phenomenal! Wonder if they'd make me one? Thanks for the link!
Old 20 August 2021, 12:45 AM   #24
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

For anyone still interested...

Went to the Vacheron boutique in Midtown over the weekend, and was blown away by the Cornes de Vache.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't like the lugs in person, and boy was I wrong. The way the light dances on the lugs is unlike any other watch I've seen. It's sensual, delicate, yet masculine. In my opinion, the platinum and steel variants pale in comparison to rose gold. The dial is a pleasure to look at - the scales, the contrast in textures between scale, main dial, and sub dial are pleasing to the eye. The finishing on the movement is exquisite. The hands are both subtle and compelling

That's not to say I think the watch is perfect. The case profile, being entirely polished, is a bit boring. The watch is an homage is, therefore, backward looking. The movement is ... a classic, but nothing new. The roman numerals + batons are a classic combination, but are *so* classic as to make the watch not feel modern.

It took me by surprise. I loved it way more than I thought I would, even if there was room for desire.
Old 20 August 2021, 01:44 AM   #25
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Maybe you’ve made your decision already but I love the 5170 in general and can’t see why it is under appreciated. I was looking at the wg black dial and then stumbled across the platinum one. I immediately fell in love with it and it remains my favorite watch. I like it even better than my nautilus and Daytona. In the end if I had to sell two of those three watches, I’d keep the 5170. It is elegant and understated and classy. People who know, know what it is. Most of the time it flies completely below the radar which I like. Good luck with your search.

Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 02:00 AM   #26
martinr
"TRF" Member

Clean dial maybe a little too clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 933A0A9C-D909-4995-BD07-3ACDAB52FC81.jpeg (138.9 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpeg 96DF4BF3-4780-4E9B-AA61-A3A4A81649C8.jpeg (106.6 KB, 368 views)
martinr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 07:29 AM   #27
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
yeah the white gold variant is a really beautiful piece
the pulsation scale make the dial very unique
and the color does look better on your skin tone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5170Gc1.jpg (291.6 KB, 321 views)
Old 24 August 2021, 01:51 AM   #28
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
yeah the white gold variant is a really beautiful piece
the pulsation scale make the dial very unique
and the color does look better on your skin tone
That picture is one of my favorites on this forum. Excellent pic. Dial looks radiant in the sunlight!
Old 24 August 2021, 02:13 AM   #29
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Such a beautiful watch. Love the later produced 5170G with the black dial.

Wish they also made the G with the same configuration white dial (non pulsation) as the black version.

If I find a good deal on one, I might jump on it.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 02:42 AM   #30
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

5170p is a magnificent watch. I think the way the price is going reflects that I'm not the only one thinking that.

More generally I really like the size of the 5170. It's exactly right - modern but without trying too hard by getting too big. (this is coming from someone who also owns a 5070). The movement finish also is sensational. I've had mine for 10 years and it still blows me away and it's more pleasing to the eye than the 5070 too.

(That Vacheron looked VERY much like the 5170J.)
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote