The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2014, 01:55 AM   #31
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprd13 View Post
Can someone explain why not to put the entire watch into the cleaner? I read do not put the watch case into the cleaner, but why? I have one myself and yes the results are amazing. But as mentioned I only put in the bracelet. Just wondering what is the reason not to put the watch head in as well. I thought our watches are built like tanks and can take the abuse!
Thanks for your comments.
In a nutshell, the ultra-sonic micro-vibrations created by the unit and transferred through the liquid medium can alter/damage the inner workings of the movement.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 02:00 AM   #32
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I would be more concerned about water emerging when using the ultrasonic.

Simplified speaking, gaskets fill the gap between 2 different pieces of metal. If the metal parts resonate, the gasket can't do its job properly.
It may work once, for a year or a decade. But if it does not work, we'll have a post with crocodile tears that there is water in the watch.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 02:10 AM   #33
Doug T
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 11
Haven't used my ultrasonic for ages as I started using Veraet cleaner once a week. No need for the ultrasonic since then. It does a terrific job in minutes!
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 02:33 AM   #34
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug T View Post
Haven't used my ultrasonic for ages as I started using Veraet cleaner once a week. No need for the ultrasonic since then. It does a terrific job in minutes!
That's like saying I brush my teeth regularly so I don't need to see the dentist for a cleaning.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 03:25 AM   #35
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Even with regular washing using Varaet - I still notice some gunk in the water when I ultrasonic ~ 2x/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
That's like saying I brush my teeth regularly so I don't need to see the dentist for a cleaning.
Well said! X2

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 04:25 AM   #36
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it's really been awhile, pull one of your link pins and tell us what you see.

Varaet is great for making a watch look nice and shiny. But nothing beats a US bath for truly getting the bracelet - inside and out - clean and thereby preventing bracelet stretch.
Old 14 February 2014, 04:46 AM   #37
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
... nothing beats a US bath for truly getting the bracelet - inside and out - clean and thereby preventing bracelet stretch.
Amen!

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 05:25 AM   #38
arnage
"TRF" Member

so if one doesn't feel up to removing the bracelet from the watch-head, is it still considered safe to either use the bridge contraption (for suspending the watch-head above water) or to hand-hold the watch-head out of the ultrasonic machine's waterbath during a cleaning?

I was wondering whether the ultrasonic vibration would travel through the bracelet (which would be submerged) and affect the movement in any manner. I'd assume the force of such US vibration would be minimal, but since it's so high frequency, it might cause loosening of screws, etc?

thought the main concern with not submerging the watch-head was for preventing water from getting past the gasket seals. I'd just like to know if that's the only concern, or if there is also concern of ultrasonic vibration adversely affecting the movement's parts
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 05:33 AM   #39
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
so if one doesn't feel up to removing the bracelet from the watch-head, is it still considered safe to either use the bridge contraption (for suspending the watch-head above water) or to hand-hold the watch-head out of the ultrasonic machine's waterbath during a cleaning?

I was wondering whether the ultrasonic vibration would travel through the bracelet (which would be submerged) and affect the movement in any manner. I'd assume the force of such US vibration would be minimal, but since it's so high frequency, it might cause loosening of screws, etc?

thought the main concern with not submerging the watch-head was for preventing water from getting past the gasket seals. I'd just like to know if that's the only concern, or if there is also concern of ultrasonic vibration adversely affecting the movement's parts
Take the head off. Takes a minute and that way you really get the whole bracelet clean.

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 05:43 AM   #40
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Take the head off. Takes a minute and that way you really get the whole bracelet clean.
I guess the concern would be not having the personal tools for removing the bracelet?
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 05:49 AM   #41
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinM3 View Post
I guess the concern would be not having the personal tools for removing the bracelet?
Not sure that's a really a concern. Just get the spring bar tool to take the bracelet off. Alternatively, you can always take the watch into an AD and they will take off the bracelet and give it a bath either for a nominal charge or complimentary.
Old 14 February 2014, 06:36 AM   #42
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinM3 View Post
If you have lug holes a tooth pick will work!

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 08:01 AM   #43
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Yeah, I understand that point -- Just wondering whether what I mention has any technical merit at all (i.e. - ultrasonic vibration traveling along the confines of the submerged bracelet having an impact on the movement). for instances where one wants to be quick in washing the bracelet.... or lazy

none of the replies addressed this yet

as to be honest, it takes me far longer than one minute to remove and replace a bracelet carefully. not to mention the added risk of inadvertently scratching the watch-head when doing so.
Old 14 February 2014, 08:03 AM   #44
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that point -- Just wondering whether what I mention has any technical merit at all (i.e. - ultrasonic vibration traveling along the confines of the submerged bracelet having an impact on the movement). for instances where one wants to be quick in washing the bracelet.... or lazy

none of the replies addressed this yet

as to be honest, it takes me far longer than one minute to remove and replace a bracelet carefully. not to mention the added risk of inadvertently scratching the watch-head when doing so.
Often cited is the migration of the lubricating oils to places where they do no good.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 08:48 AM   #45
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc1966 View Post
Often cited is the migration of the lubricating oils to places where they do no good.
thanks, and that does make sense.
Old 14 February 2014, 09:53 AM   #46
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks, and that does make sense.
Also, I've read that US can shake loose lumen applications and paint from the dial, which of course is not good if bits migrate into the movement. The vibrations can also loosen screws.
Old 11 May 2015, 11:32 AM   #47
marincathy
"TRF" Member

US safe if case is above water on shelf/bridge?????

I have posted the same questions as Arnage and never gotten back an answer.
Can the vibrations from US go through the submerged bracelet and hurt the case which is above water sitting on a bridge/shelf?
marincathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 12:19 PM   #48
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:

This is the issue as a watchmaker explained to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2015, 12:41 PM   #49
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
This is the issue as a watchmaker explained to me.

^this isn't the primary risk......it's THIS that's the real concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

Simplified speaking, gaskets fill the gap between 2 different pieces of metal. If the metal parts resonate, the gasket can't do its job properly.
It may work once, for a year or a decade. But if it does not work, we'll have a post with crocodile tears that there is water in the watch.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 11:34 PM   #50
chin9
"TRF" Member

ROLEX watches are very tough and Waterproof.. I put all my rolex watches.. the whole watch on my ultrasonic cleaner... and it still works just fine.. no problem whatso ever...
chin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 05:45 AM   #51
stevelaw54
"TRF" Member

Here is why you should keep the case head out of the ultrasonic?

The ultrasonic cleaners are putting ultrasonic waves through the liquid cleaner.
I have seen it break off the the hair-spring from the collet. Which means the only way to repair it is a new balance complete. The Rolex service centers don't use ultrasonic cleaning machines on the movements. Only for the cases and bands, with the movement removed.
You can hold the head and of the watch and let the band dip into the liquid cleaner. Just keep the head from getting into the ultrasonic.
stevelaw54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 06:43 AM   #52
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by chin9 View Post
ROLEX watches are very tough and Waterproof.. I put all my rolex watches.. the whole watch on my ultrasonic cleaner... and it still works just fine.. no problem whatso ever...
You still probably shouldn't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelaw54 View Post
The Rolex service centers don't use ultrasonic cleaning machines on the movements.
They actually do, but only when the movement is completely disassembled.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 07:03 AM   #53
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chin9 View Post
The head should not go in the ultrasonic cleaner.

There is a reason why no one does this.
Old 8 July 2019, 09:05 AM   #54
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All

Who lets their watch get to the point that it needs this?
Rinse it before each wear, towel dry it, over on.
Old 8 July 2019, 09:34 AM   #55
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I'm still curious as to the viability of placing just the bracelet in the cleaner and keeping the case above. Does this pose a potential liability to the movement? Still can't get a clear answer.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 10:23 AM   #56
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Lots of anecdotal evidence about how it is bad to put the whole watch into an ultrasonic cleaner.

Is there any empirical evidence?

I’m not saying to, or not to do it. I think most people tend to err on the side of caution.

Do any watch manufacturers recommend against putting the whole watch in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 10:47 AM   #57
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Ultrasonic Cleaner for Rolex ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
Lots of anecdotal evidence about how it is bad to put the whole watch into an ultrasonic cleaner.

Is there any empirical evidence?

I’m not saying to, or not to do it. I think most people tend to err on the side of caution.

Do any watch manufacturers recommend against putting the whole watch in an ultrasonic cleaner?

I learned my lesson.

My BLRO is sitting at the RSC right now after being given a round in an ultrasonic cleaner. After one 320 second session the watch went from +0.7 seconds per day to losing nearly 12 seconds per day. 100% this was caused by the ultrasonic cleaner as I make an entry most nights on WatchTracker.

So, take it from me, don’t do it.

Old 8 July 2019, 11:04 AM   #58
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
I learned my lesson.

My BLRO is sitting at the RSC right now after being given a round in an ultrasonic cleaner. After one 320 second session the watch went from +0.7 seconds per day to losing nearly 12 seconds per day. 100% this was caused by the ultrasonic cleaner as I make an entry most nights on WatchTracker.

So, take it from me, don’t do it.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but your experience is anecdotal.

Was it a new watch? Recently serviced, gaskets replaced?

I’m curious about manufacturer recommendations against using ultrasonic cleaners, and/or testing that shows/proves these cleaners will cause water ingress.

I don’t doubt what happened to your watch, and that an ultrasonic cleaner contributed to the failure. I just want to know if there is scientific evidence that shows ultrasonic cleaners to cause water ingress or other lubricant problems.

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:19 AM   #59
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
in the summer the watch gets really sweaty daily. i put it under the faucet in luke warm water (no soap) and pat dry. i do this each night. reading this i am thinking there is dirt i am not seeing.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:23 AM   #60
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post

Who lets their watch get to the point that it needs this?
Rinse it before each wear, towel dry it, over on.
this is exactly what i do, only AFTER each wear not before. pat dry. no soap, no tooth brush, just running tap water.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote