The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
So I walked into Rolex Canada at lunch today.............

........................to show them the issue I have with regards to the SEL and link on the braclet on my 2-month old SD (Bought brand-new as mentioned in my other post).

I figured I should post my first-time experience with RSC separately from my other post as I figured what I want to say may get lost in all the posts, not to mention, someone who doesn't own an SD may not bother to read the thread.

I walked into 50 St. Clair W. around 1pm this afternoon with watch and warrantee in tow thinking about what was said to me with regards to my attitude based on my findings. So I approached the service counter on the second floor with a neutral look on my face. The service counter looked more like a receptionists desk in your everyday run-of-the-mill corporate office. There was a lone woman sitting behind it. Not what I expected when I think of a service counter at a typical business. I was starting to see the "angle" Rolex was playing in their set-up.

The way it worked was I walked up to the counter, pulled out the warrantee sheet from the sleeve, laid it out on the counter, took off my watch, and started explaining to the girl what the problem was by showing her. Her answer was "That's how these watches are at the 12 o'clock SEL". I told her I begged to differ and that I'd conversed with other SD owner's (meaning the forum) who told me that both links at either-end of the watch should "collapse" at exactly the same angle as each other. She put the watch on a tray and started taking down my info from the warrantee and putting it into a computer asking the typical "Is this your first time here with us" type questions. She also took a photo-copy of my warrantee for their files also.

Back to the watch, she asked "Does the braclet bother you?" I had to bite my tongue on answering that one as I knew that she was referring to comfort. I said no, but mentioned again I believe that the pin is bent and defective (I could see it with my own eyes). Anyways, they asked me to have a seat in one of their green leather chairs and she'd take the watch out back to one of the technicians. She made a call to the back and asked for a technician to come out and get the watch.

I proceeded to grab a copy of Time magazine and sat down to read. I heard some activity going on but where I was seated, I had a blindside and couldn't see if the tech actually came out to get the watch himself or not.

About 15 minutes later the girl calls my name and I see the watch sitting on the tray. She proceeded to explain what the technician told her that due to the location of where the SEL in question was, that the 12 o'clock side tended to take longer to "break in" than the 6 o'clock side which tends to see more "play time". She said that over time, eventually the 12 o'clock side would collapse the same as the 6 o'clock side. In conclusion, RSC could find no fault with the braclet. I guess Rolex sees only what they want to see.

Rolex' answer reminded me about all the stories I've heard from friends of mine who buy new car's and when a problem/noise develops and they take it in under warrantee, the Dealership can find no faults. Only when the warrantee expires do they start finding problems.

What could I say? I thanked her, took my watch and left.

I guess the problems going to have to become more obvious before they act on it. About the only good thing that came out of the visit was my name and the watch (along with copy of warrantee) is now in their computer database.

My experience was a disappointment, but not a surprise.

Like I said, I don't have a digital camera, but if somebody hear doubts me, PM me and you can check my watch out for yourselves.

Discuss as you like.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 05:17 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, Kris.

Let me be the first to tell you how sorry I feel for you and your experience with these guys. I sincerely wish you were here in Auckland. I would have taken you over to Mansor's and the treatment you would have received there would have made Royalty blush in shame!!

Anyway, if you don't have a camera, I think it's somehow important that you find a good friend who has one and post some pics for us to see. This is important for us to gauge the extent of the problem.

Another request from me to you is....please be nice and pleasant with all the members on this forum. We have a great bunch of guys here who would help anyone with a problem, at the drop of a hat. Thank you!!

Thanks for listening. I really wish I could somehow help you. It pains me to see a new SD with such an obvious problem.

Regards - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 05:17 AM   #3
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Don't doubt you Kris, but like you said what can you say. If for some reason, it does not "break in" within the alloted time that they have quoted you, go back and get it looked at again (however before the warranty goes belly up).

When I pick up my SD from RSC next week, let's hook up.
Old 16 March 2007, 05:20 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

The other thing I fail to understand about all this....is how the hell do they expect a link to "break in"???

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 16 March 2007, 05:25 AM   #5
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
You should have requested to have that explanation in writing.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 05:27 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Very valid point! Maybe you should still ask for that!!

Old 16 March 2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Kris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
You're right.

I'm calling them back and telling them to fax me a signed document.
Old 16 March 2007, 05:41 AM   #8
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I would've asked to speak directly with the technician. He probably could've spoken in detail as to why the bracelet would need a break-in period. Maybe the bracelet needs to stretch a bit? Anyway, you did the right thing by going to RSC Canada. I'm sorry the outcome wasn't what you were hoping for.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 05:46 AM   #9
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Well, I haven't had a problem with my Rolex yet to visit the service department, so I'm sorry for your woes. Although I'm surprised by the comparison to auto service. For starters, the dealers don't take it out of their pockets to repair your car. They charge the auto maker. My service department will look at my car and bill the auto maker without a problem. It's how their service guys get paid.

I'm not sure how it works for RSC... But it doesn't appear to be the same.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 06:00 AM   #10
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablojota View Post
For starters, the dealers don't take it out of their pockets to repair your car. They charge the auto maker.
Not to hijack, but you're only 1/2 correct here. Yes, a car dealership does indeed bill the manufacturer for warrantee work. However, they are at a contracted rate, and that's usually around 50% of what they charge the consumer for labor. Therefore, when they do warrantee work, they are only getting half of what they would get for non-warantee work. This makes some (not all) dealerships unwilling to do warrantee work of any kind. They either tell you its your fault so they can get the full hourly rate from you, or they tell you nothing is wrong so the technician doesn't have to take time away from servicing full-price paying customers.
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 06:05 AM   #11
Kris
Banned

Another Update:

So I called RSC and talked to the girl I spoke with earlier when I was there.

She remembered who I was an what the issue was with my SD. She asked what she could do for me.

I told her that I wanted a signed declaration on Rolex Canada Letterhead by the watch technician stating what the issue was with my SD and his claim that there is a wear period before the 12 o'clock side matches the 6 o'clock side.

Her answer was "We don't usually do that" and then asked, why do you need something like this? YEAH, RIGHT!

I told her that just in case further harm/damage comes to the watch, I have their signed statement as back up and would use it to justify my claim that the braclet is not deemed fit in my opinion and they'd have to fix it at some point in time.

She said she'd have to go to her manager and talk with them about it.

She already has my name, address and daytime number and now has my email address.

She said she'd get back to me shortly.

Oh yeah, this is turning into a good one! And I got 2 whole years ahead of me to drag them through the mud!
Old 16 March 2007, 06:24 AM   #12
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Don't be too harsh on the girl, she is only the messenger.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 06:30 AM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

Go to the RSC in Canada,again(Its close) Forget the little reception girl,Speak directly to the bossman and the tech guy.Show them exactly whats wrong.I will be surprised if the problem is not attended too .. I would also bring this to the attention of the AD,where you bought the SD.

Still have the option to contact Rolex directly,but keep that one for later,if needed,in unlikely circumstances.

I do the same when buying,I buy from the boss,not the salesperson/s.Simple,yet effective.
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 07:04 AM   #14
Kris
Banned

Update:

No word yet from the service girl.

I'm on my way home and making a detour at my AD where I bought the watch.

At the time I bought it, they had 2 SD's in the case. Hopefully the other one didn't sell yet and I can compare the two.

Else, I'll let the AD handle this.

I'll log back on tonight around 8pm and give an update before I go to bed.

Worse comes to worse, if I don't leave the watch at the AD, I'll head back up to RSC.
Old 16 March 2007, 08:39 AM   #15
Kris
Banned

Update:

Walked up to my AD only to find out they were closed.

Oh well, tomorrow.
Old 16 March 2007, 08:53 AM   #16
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The other thing I fail to understand about all this....is how the hell do they expect a link to "break in"???
You should have banged the watch up againest someone's head there a couple of hundred times! That may have straightened the end link! out! That drives me crazy when someone pulls stunts like that!