The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 7 April 2006, 09:11 AM   #1
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Some Car Pix

Click on the Thumbnail to go see the images in a new window.

Thanks

Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Great pics Chip. My favorite is the one where it looks like it's refelcting in water on the ground For those of you looking for it, it is one he has posted before.

Last edited by mailman; 7 April 2006 at 11:06 AM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2006, 11:08 AM   #3
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Great pics Chip. My favorite is the one where it looks like it's refelcting in water on the ground For those of you looking for it, it is one he has posted before.
Ah. (BTW... I looked though those fresh pics then it hit me. BEFORE lol)
This one.
Member # 87
Old 7 April 2006, 11:13 AM   #4
mailman

That's the one. Thank you
Old 7 April 2006, 11:17 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Looks great
Old 7 April 2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Mrdi
Banned

Nikon D50?
Been thinking of moving in that direction.
Why not the 50S instead of the 50?
I currently hace an Nikon 90S SLR, non digital.
The 50 is digital, correct?
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2006, 12:40 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Nice pal!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2006, 10:47 PM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Nice pics, Chip. So why is it soon to be sold? Going for a new model?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2006, 11:51 PM   #9
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Nice pics, Chip. So why is it soon to be sold? Going for a new model?
Bought that when I was single and living in an apartment.
Now I am married, have a house, went through a corporate restructure, lost about 11k/year in salary in the process... thinking about kids....
You get the idea.

Plus with gas prices the way they are, a car that averages 12.1 mpg is not exactly practical.
Also, 1200 in tires every 9k miles or so... and scheduled maintenance checks every so often.... just isn't practical.

It hurts me to sell it, as it is my dream car. But... you got to do what you got to do.
I'm selling it cheap too... 25k USD.
Member # 87
Old 8 April 2006, 04:18 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Chip, it's a pity that beauty has to go. Good luck with your other problems and hope everything is sorted out soon!!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2006, 06:04 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Chip, it's a pity that beauty has to go. Good luck with your other problems and hope everything is sorted out soon!!!

Cheers - JJ

JJ, if Chip's considering starting a family... that's hardly a problem. Losing income is a bitch, but it's only money and you can always make it back.

Chip, whatever you do, DON'T buy a minivan. There's lots of rocket wagons out there that do the job as well as minivans, without the complete loss of self-respect. LOLOL I'm sure you could get a Passat W8 wagon for waaay less than what you expect to get for the Jag... and the W8 has guts-a-plenty, lotsa fun to drive and not nearly as expensive to maintain as a Jag.
Old 8 April 2006, 06:20 AM   #12
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I am not upside down on this car, and we would like to have at least 6 months of income set aside so Faith could stay home for a while.
If I sell the car, I'd give my savings account a big boost.

It's not a matter of not being able to own the car anymore, but rather a matter of growing up and admitting that there is no reason for a 29 years old that is about to start a family to own a supercharged Jaguar XJR.
Member # 87
Old 8 April 2006, 06:23 AM   #13
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatox
I am not upside down on this car, and we would like to have at least 6 months of income set aside so Faith could stay home for a while.

It's not a matter of not being able to own the car anymore, but rather a matter of growing up and admitting that there is no reason for a 29 years old that is about to start a family to own a supercharged Jaguar XJR.
I made the same decision when I got rid of my GTI. I didn't have to... but it was time to 'grow up'. I sold it at a time I was driving less than 10,000km a year. It boosted my retirement contribution big time and got me free from my monthly insurance installments.
Old 8 April 2006, 08:24 AM   #14
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatox

It's okay Chip, by the time you hit 39 you will realize that starting the family is the reason you should own a supercharged Jaguar........growing up is over rated IMO.

I am amazed at how many people I meet of your age that feel the need to focus on "grown up" things, only to find later that forcusing on "not grown up" things is partly what keeps you sane. It's okay, I went through the same thing when I was younger, and it took me a while to understand the relevance of it all.........

For me it was career all the time, but then I realized that I had to pursue my dreams or I would always regret it. Although I didn't get to where I wanted with sport, I have had a lot of great memories along the way, and realized the journey is more imporant than the end result.

Anyway, far too serious discussion for this place.

I wish you the best with your decisions.
Old 8 April 2006, 08:35 AM   #15
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Just my $0.02.
If you keep the car now, you won't need to get a new one later in life when you go through the "mid life crisis"
I kept my toy cars right through until just recently ( we still have one - Z3)
For me, it was the cost of maintaining them that bugged me. I too, didn't drive much, and paying rediculous fees for service bothered me. Plus I lived out of town from the dealers, so it was a day trip for servicing.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2006, 11:32 AM   #16
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
It's okay Chip, by the time you hit 39 you will realize that starting the family is the reason you should own a supercharged Jaguar........growing up is over rated IMO.

I am amazed at how many people I meet of your age that feel the need to focus on "grown up" things, only to find later that forcusing on "not grown up" things is partly what keeps you sane. It's okay, I went through the same thing when I was younger, and it took me a while to understand the relevance of it all.........

For me it was career all the time, but then I realized that I had to pursue my dreams or I would always regret it. Although I didn't get to where I wanted with sport, I have had a lot of great memories along the way, and realized the journey is more imporant than the end result.

Anyway, far too serious discussion for this place.

I wish you the best with your decisions.
I can get behind that, Al. I started picking up my toys at about that age (maybe a little younger) when I got my 4 speed 280Z. My concession to the family was that it was a 2+2. The kids were young enough that they could comfortably fit in the "potty" seats in the back. From there I graduated to a Mazda RX-7 convertible (the last of that breed) and now my penultimate toy - the Lexus SC 430. The ultimate would be the Aston Martin DB9 Volanate (but that's for TRF's beautiful fairy godmother to offer ).

You can't start too early not growing up in my book.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2006, 11:45 PM   #17
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I can get behind that, Al. I started picking up my toys at about that age (maybe a little younger) when I got my 4 speed 280Z. My concession to the family was that it was a 2+2. The kids were young enough that they could comfortably fit in the "potty" seats in the back. From there I graduated to a Mazda RX-7 convertible (the last of that breed) and now my penultimate toy - the Lexus SC 430. The ultimate would be the Aston Martin DB9 Volanate (but that's for TRF's beautiful fairy godmother to offer ).

You can't start too early not growing up in my book.
You nailed it Ed.

By all means take care of your family and do the right things, but realize that you also have to take care of yourself.
Old 8 April 2006, 11:50 PM   #18
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Just my $0.02.
If you keep the car now, you won't need to get a new one later in life when you go through the "mid life crisis"
I kept my toy cars right through until just recently ( we still have one - Z3)
For me, it was the cost of maintaining them that bugged me. I too, didn't drive much, and paying rediculous fees for service bothered me. Plus I lived out of town from the dealers, so it was a day trip for servicing.
Speaking of rediculous fees.......had the 540 in yesterday for spring maintenance. Oil service, brake flush, coolant flush, new drive belts, etc. = $800. Actually that wasn't too bad - new rear ball joints were covered under warranty, so I'm sure it would have been at least double if I had to pay for those. Next week is new rubber, alignment, etc., so that will be another $1,700 or so I expect. But then I'm set for the summer!
Old 9 April 2006, 02:38 AM   #19
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I was twenty-eight when my daughter was born. We had just bought our first house three years prior and I wasn't at top pay yet. (in my department it takes seven years to reach top pay, rookie pay was really pretty sad about 30k a year) We were fairly new to the whole marriage thing and still had quite a few of our individual belongings we each brought into the marriage.

With my job we have a great retirement package. Give the city your first twenty-five years and they give you three quarters of your last years salary for as long as you can make it too along with several other pay-out options, so the future was off to a nice start. Anyway, with the baby coming we wanted to do the GROWN-UP thing and get a responsible, family car, among a few other things. My wife had a convertible mustang, about four years old and I had a 300 ZX, twin turbo, recarro edition, it was loaded, every option available. Back then it was a $45K car.

Well, being the rocket scientist's that we were we made our contribution to the old saying, YOUNG AND DUMB. I traded in the Z for a brussell sprout green mini-van. Yep, we were quite the grown-up, responsible parents, alright After a very short time we realized that not only did we hate some of the changes we made, especially the mini-van, but that we really weren't being us. We got rid of the mini-van a short time later, and of course, took a beating on it

I figure, if I was a mini-van guy, it will eventually come. It's more important to be yourself and if fast cars and toys are part of you, and you can afford them and seeing as you already have one, you can, then keep them and be yourself. You've earned it and your kids will be all the better for it.
Old 9 April 2006, 03:09 AM   #20
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I'm 59 in August and have decided that fast bikes are out. When I get home mine is going up for sale. It will be a sad day but it was inevitable.

BTW before I forget........................nice pics Chip.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2006, 09:39 AM   #21
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
I'm 59 in August and have decided that fast bikes are out. When I get home mine is going up for sale. It will be a sad day but it was inevitable.

BTW before I forget........................nice pics Chip.
Don't quit riding because of your age Adrian. My father is 63 and is still riding
Old 9 April 2006, 12:07 PM   #22
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Don't quit riding because of your age Adrian. My father is 63 and is still riding
Yes but is he riding a 160 MPH sports bike or a sedentary tourer? I don't have the rapid reactions I used to so the sports bike will have to go and I could never see me on a tourer.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2006, 09:25 PM   #23
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
Yes but is he riding a 160 MPH sports bike or a sedentary tourer? I don't have the rapid reactions I used to so the sports bike will have to go and I could never see me on a tourer.
Buy something in between then, like a cruiser.