The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 October 2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Txchica
"TRF" Member

Oyster perpetual air king. 1948

I just inherited my Dads watch, I love wearing it. But when I don't it needs a rewind. I'm considering a watch winder box. Any suggestions? I know I would need alternate winding but turns per day? Is it a wise decision or does it wear on the mechanism. Just had it overhauled. Thanks for your advice.
Txchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Huliganchik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 116503
I keep Rolex on 650 turns and yes it winds bi-directionally, but yiu dont have to take my word for it: http://orbita.com/2010_web/NEW/Database-R.htm
As for wear, there are so many discussions in the matter but IMO it doesn't wear any more than if its worn. My only advice is not to go for the cheap one.
Huliganchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I wouldn't keep a 70-year-old watch on a winder. Let it rest when you're not using it, it only takes a few seconds to set it and wind it.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 03:45 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

If it's an air king...from 1948...it's not perpetual....meaning it is not self winding.

You must be crossing the serial number date lists incorrectly.

Not ALL Rolex wind bi directionally. Anything before the 1030 calibre freewheels in one direction.

Photos please, reference number and serial number.

If you set it aside...you will need to rewind even if it is automatic because automatic mechanism will only keep it topped up. It will not wind the watch up from zero and keep accurate time.

Winding boxes are fine. They will not keep most watches running accurately during non use....especially an old one.

There is no harm in hand winding your watch as long as it has been serviced regularly. If not it may be quite stiff and you run the risk of breaking a crown wheel due to resistance in the automatic mechanism which must clutch while you hand wind it.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:22 AM   #5
Txchica
"TRF" Member

Watch face says oyster perpetual air king. Watch shop looked up date from serial number. I believe it to be 1948. If I were to get a winder box, is there a recommendation? It runs a little more than 24 hours if it's not worn.
Txchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:37 AM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The problem is....Rolex started serial numbers over at ZERO in 1954.

There would be duplicate serial numbers ie...a 1948 serial number in the 500,000 range would also be in the 1960 range.

Oyster Perpetual Air King would be 1960 style watch...NOT a 1948 style watch.

There are numbers in between the lugs...a 6 digit serial at 6:00 and a 4 digit model at 12:00

I'm thinking your watch has a 1560 movement most likely. It winds both directions.

I would advise that if you plan to wear the watch or keep it on a winder that you have it properly serviced. The lubrication is likely dry and likely the gaskets are dry as well rendering water resistance compromised.

No way of knowing when it was last serviced....but my guess is...some time ago.

Watch winders run from 80 to thousands of dollars. Quality is what you pay for.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote