The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 October 2017, 09:14 PM   #1
Oldfashioned
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Need your opinion on a 16600

Hi guys, I'm new here although I have been lurking and reading without a username for a while. I love the forum and the community and I'm excited to post my first question.

A little about myself, I'm relatively new to Rolex, I have a 14060M that I wear daily and I love the watch. I also have a Omega Speedmaster, a Seamaster, and a Nomos piece.

Recently I have the opportunity to purchase my first Sea-Dweller, I have 2 choices at the moment, a 1993 S series Mark 4 with T<25 or a 2003 F series.

I understand the difference between the lumes and I assume the lumes on the T<25 no longer works, I have no intentions of sending the watch in to have the dial replaced as I enjoy the patina that develops with time.

My question is, in similar condition, both with papers, which watch is a better buy at similar price? I'm looking for one that I can keep forever, wear daily, and enjoy it on my wrist, but the overall value of the watch through time is also something that interests me.

Thank you guys in advance for your wise advise!
Oldfashioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:31 PM   #2
mfellers
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to the responses here. I have a 2000, a sentimental anniversary year, but there are certainly opinions on how the tritium/luminova ages and colors.

I also have a soft spot for older things in general, I would offer this will come down to personal choice, but a few things like solid end links could weigh in, but I'm a noob, the pros will hopefully be along soon.
mfellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:11 PM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I'd go with the tritium dial model from 1993. It's almost 25-years-old and it won't be too long before it's considered vintage.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 05:11 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Go the 1993 imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2017, 05:24 PM   #5
CharlesGenta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub 1680
CharlesGenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 11:40 PM   #6
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the tritium 93 model, especially since you say the long term value of the watch is important to you.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:05 AM   #7
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I was in a similar boat 5 years ago. I was on the hunt for my 1st Rolex. I quickly decided I wanted a Sea Dweller. The thicker case and fact that I rarely ever saw one in the wild (I see dozens of Subs) made up my mind. I was down to a 16600. I found two complete sets for similar $: a 1995 tritium dial and a 1999 (I think) "Swiss" only dial. I went with the 1995, and so glad I did. Of the 20 or so watches I've bought and flipped, that's the only one I've kept beyond 6 months. I recently added a Tudor Big Block (my 8th, sold 7) and a Deepsea D-Blue. Jury's still out on the 116660 (I love the heft and came from Breitling prior), but I think the blue dial might make it a keeper. However now I feel like I have to complete the SD collection with a 1665, matte 16660, and 116600 (could do without). The hurdle there is funding.

I treated the 16600 a service and new crystal in 2015. My watchmaker confirmed he was the 1st person ever inside that watch after it left the factory. He even let me keep all the old seals and crystal, and gave me photographs of the disassembled watch. The crystal gasket crumbled upon handling. My advice: know the service history or plan for one.

Good luck in your hunt!

p.s. I'm glad you posted this in the vintage forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170915_154405_resized again.jpg (230.2 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 20171010_153742_resized.jpg (215.4 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 1.resized.2.jpg (245.8 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 3.resized.jpg (134.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 20130318_173503.resized.jpg (212.1 KB, 250 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Jfullm42
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Welcome and congrats on the current collection. The SD is my all time fav so what a great addition
Out of these two I would add the S Serial because I prefer lug holes on the 5 digit reference case
I went in the middle of those two and opted for lug holes and luminova with a K serial
Either way you can't go wrong!
Old 20 October 2017, 01:12 AM   #9
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfashioned View Post
I understand the difference between the lumes and I assume the lumes on the T<25 no longer works, I have no intentions of sending the watch in to have the dial replaced as I enjoy the patina that develops with time.
My '95 still slightly glows when it's completely dark. I didn't know for an entire 3 years until I went to India in 2015 and we had a 12 hour power cut. In the middle of the night, I could just read the time on my 16600.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:38 AM   #10
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Titrium all the way. But this is the vintage forum so you will likely get that answer here....
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Oldfashioned
"TRF" Member

I got the 1993, I love love love it, I fly with it and I catch myself staring at it all the time... Don't tell the passengers!

Best thing I like about it is that it's not perfect, it has it's wear and tear from all these years and I love knowing that the more I wear, the older it gets, the better it gets. It'll go many places with me and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 27 October 2017, 03:14 AM   #12
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfashioned View Post
I got the 1993, I love love love it, I fly with it and I catch myself staring at it all the time... Don't tell the passengers!

Best thing I like about it is that it's not perfect, it has it's wear and tear from all these years and I love knowing that the more I wear, the older it gets, the better it gets. It'll go many places with me and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the help guys!

I fly with my Rolex all the time too, let’s see some photos of your new SD. Here is one of mine at work.

Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Oldfashioned
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky21 View Post
I fly with my Rolex all the time too, let’s see some photos of your new SD. Here is one of mine at work.

This is my shot, not an SD but I couldn't resist and bought a Pepsi as well. Will have one for SD soon!