The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 January 2021, 08:21 AM   #1
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Forum user Topjimmi

Just a heads up I received a message last night from forum user Topjimmi about a watch I had for sale.

We exchanged a few posts, he made an offer, wanted to wire me the funds, so I shared my account information and then they disappeared.

Fast forward to today, and the forum poster texted (I shared my cell number in one of the PMs) me saying their account has been hacked and they had several DMs sent out for watches made from their account.

I'm guessing my next step will be to close that account, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:33 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

First, report any concerns to admin. Time is always crucial and we need to be made aware as soon as possible.
Then, make a post know to the forum members.

Now, if you were messaging with said member (and gave him your cell number), then he texted you a few days later saying his account has been hacked?
So he either regained control of the account and saw the message history, or it's still the same person you were dealing with originally?

As a precaution, that account has been closed.
Notably, he has not even posted for over two years..

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:39 AM   #3
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry if I was not clear, we were PMing last night around 12:30 AM, and during the exchange I gave him my cell number in case he had questions not knowing he was hacked. But then he shortly disappeared.

He just texted me at 4:54pm about 30 minutes ago saying his account was hacked and he's trying to "regain control of his account", and saw that several messaged were sent out to sellers and I was one of the few that shared a phone number so he texted me.

I came here to make the post as soon as I could.

Should I close my bank account tied to the wire information since the hacker has it?
Old 25 January 2021, 08:42 AM   #4
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

His account is now shut down. He will have to prove his identity to Lol-x to be reinstated..

As for your bank account. Others may know better than me, but I don't think they can do anything. But the simple fact that your information is out there with a possible scammer, is concerning..

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:01 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Forum user Topjimmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post

He just texted me at 4:54pm about 30 minutes ago saying his account was hacked and he's trying to "regain control of his account", and saw that several messaged were sent out to sellers and I was one of the few that shared a phone number so he texted me.

That’s not really possible without a Mod’s help. And it seems no Mod helped “regain control”.

The scammer who gained access would have immediately changed the password before foisting the exploit.

You can freeze the bank account from ACH and wires if closing it poses great difficulty. Also put 2factor on your banking log-in ID’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:18 AM   #6
tike71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sorry if I was not clear, we were PMing last night around 12:30 AM, and during the exchange I gave him my cell number in case he had questions not knowing he was hacked. But then he shortly disappeared.

Should I close my bank account tied to the wire information since the hacker has it?
He text you back at the same number?
tike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:40 AM   #7
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

He did, I'm wondering if he gets emails with his private messages and that's where he was able to see my information to message me?

Unless this is just a very very unnecessarily complicated scheme to get out of an accepted offer?

But I find that to be unlikely
Old 25 January 2021, 10:42 AM   #8
tike71
"TRF" Member

Meant to say, he texted you back from the same number...?
tike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 01:31 PM   #9
topjimmi
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, quick update on what’s been going on. I’ve been in contact with admins and my account has been restored and secured. Last night someone gained access to my account and private messaged (through TRF) several members with watches for sale. This afternoon I received a text (via telephone) from one of those members doing a follow up. I had no idea what he was talking about since I’m not buying or selling anything at the moment.

Tried logging in my account, no luck. Checked my email and saw multiple notifications for new PM’s to me on TRF. When I opened the emails I was able to read the contents of the pm’s and discovered someone was using my account acting as a buyer. Some of the pm’s from our members contained their email and cell phone numbers and I was able to contact them directly and alert them that someone had been using my account.

I also contacted admins and informed them and requested they lock my account until it could be reset/secured. Heard back from the admins and everything should be all set all.

Going to be contacting the members I was unable to reach earlier to give them the heads up on the situation.

Sorry for the inconvenience, hope it didn’t cause anyone to much heartache or loss. Be careful guys, stay vigilant.
topjimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 01:36 PM   #10
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s disconcerting but if you’ve ever written a personal check and given it to someone you’ve passed along all the same information. I wouldn’t worry too much about it
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:12 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
It’s disconcerting but if you’ve ever written a personal check and given it to someone you’ve passed along all the same information. I wouldn’t worry too much about it
This is not entirely accurate.

You can choose what info is on the check.

I just have my name. No address or ph#.

The routing, bank code and accounts are useless without a lot more info.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:03 PM   #12
duncand111
Banned

Watch: Couple of Rolexes
You should also inform your bank and let them know what's going on.
duncand111 is offline   Reply With Quote