The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2017, 07:21 AM   #91
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 View Post
Just stop by and none available.
o.k., that's not good
Old 7 April 2017, 10:23 PM   #92
mordeeb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Should I expect the prices to be better than anything on this forums via the BNIB market?
mordeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 10:50 AM   #93
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordeeb View Post
Should I expect the prices to be better than anything on this forums via the BNIB market?
If you can get the VAT back, yes.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2017, 08:17 PM   #94
bodhipooh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Actually, you would care about the VAT refund as that will affect your final purchase price. For example, in Switzerland, the VAT is about 7%. So on a $10,000 watch, you will get back $700. In Italy, the VAT refund is 15%, so on that same $10,000, you will get back $1500, effectively reducing your out of pocket expense by $800.

Keep in mind that in the US prices do not include tax. In Europe, the MSRP includes the tax. So on a $10,000 watch, assuming 6% US sales tax and 15% Italian VAT, you are paying $8500 in Italy vs $10,600 in the US, not factoring the exchange rate.

So without the AD's even providing you with a discount, you should come out ahead with today's exchange rates.

As far as if the DSSD is in stock, you will have to check with the individual ADs, and same goes for the discounts. I was not shopping for a DSSD while in Italy, so I do not remember if the ADs I visited had any.
This is simply not correct and is the type of misinformation that creates confusion and unnecessary headaches for some consumers.

If the VAT is included (as is the case everywhere in Europe, except at air-side airport shops) the refunded VAT will NOT be the same percentage that is factored into the price. If an item has a 25% VAT factored into its retail price, a full refund would equal 20% of the retail price. For example:

If you assume a given watch costs 8,000€, and the country has a 25% VAT, its retail price would be 10,000€. A full refund would be 20%, which is also referred to as the inverse, calculated as 1/x, where x is 1.25 in our example.

For a 20% VAT, the inverse is 1/1.20, which is .833, for a VAT refund of 16.6%.

In any case, those are theoretical full VAT refunds. In practice, if you are getting a VAT refund through one of the VAT refund scheme companies (such as Global Blue, or Premier Tax Free) you will only get back a portion of the VAT, as the company will take its cut for the convenience. For example, in Italy, where the VAT is 22%, Global Blue will refund 15.5% in purchases over 8,000 €, whereas a full refund would be 18% of the retail price. In other words, they are pocketing ~200€ for the convenience of handling all the paperwork related to the processing of extracting money from the tax authorities in Italy.
bodhipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 04:18 AM   #95
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Just saw some serious vintage for sale at the Capri Rolex store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 May 2017, 11:28 PM   #96
mordeeb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Some watches in Pisa and Lucca
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1507.jpg (57.8 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1508.jpg (47.3 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1527.jpg (42.5 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1528.jpg (50.0 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1529.jpg (44.4 KB, 682 views)
mordeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 03:15 AM   #97
rayven
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB Date & DJ41
Headed to Italy for 3 weeks next month. Anyone had any luck finding any BLNR's?

I'll be in Venice, Milan, Lake Como, Cinque Terra, Florence, Pisa, Positano, & Rome if anyone has any AD recommendations other than the ones listed?

Thanks!
rayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 04:17 AM   #98
anakyn101
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD/RedSuB/COMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven View Post

I'll be in Venice, Milan, Lake Como, Cinque Terra, Florence, Pisa, Positano, & Rome if anyone has any AD recommendations other than the ones listed?

Thanks!
I have actually seen plenty BLNRs in Italy especially at greys.. It's not a hard watch to find! Have a great trip!
SUB: 16800 Ghost Bezel; 1680 200 RedSub; 16610LV FAT 4 (Y) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS / EXP: I 14270; I Freccione 1655; SD: 16660 Triple 6; 1665 Submariner 2000-DRSD; 1665 Great White MKI; 116600 SD4K NOS (2); 116660 DSSD MKI; 16600 Sommozzatori Polipetto NOS; 16600 NOS; (2) 126600 SD43 NOS; 16600 COMEX NOS / DAYTONA: 116500 NOS (4); 16520 Zenith (6) NOS; 116520 (5) NOS; P.P+++
anakyn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 04:45 AM   #99
rayven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakyn101 View Post
I have actually seen plenty BLNRs in Italy especially at greys.. It's not a hard watch to find! Have a great trip!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Still capable of getting VAT back on grey purchases?
Old 27 May 2017, 05:29 AM   #100
anakyn101
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD/RedSuB/COMEX
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Still capable of getting VAT back on grey purchases?
In regards to the VAT reimbursement (if you reside in a NON EU state you are eligible to get the VAT back) at all locations. It works like this: You purchase the watch and pay the full price with VAT (in Italy it's 22%). At the airport ask for the IVA Reimbursement office and show them your receipt. They will reimburse you in cash.
Here's the instructions (in Italian but use Google translate) http://www.milanomalpensa-airport.co...d/rimborso-iva
Here's a link with all the the Tax refund offices at Malpensa Airport http://www.milanomalpensa-airport.co...borso-iva/desk Keep in mind that these offices are at each major international airport in Italy.
Hope this helps and have a blast!
SUB: 16800 Ghost Bezel; 1680 200 RedSub; 16610LV FAT 4 (Y) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS / EXP: I 14270; I Freccione 1655; SD: 16660 Triple 6; 1665 Submariner 2000-DRSD; 1665 Great White MKI; 116600 SD4K NOS (2); 116660 DSSD MKI; 16600 Sommozzatori Polipetto NOS; 16600 NOS; (2) 126600 SD43 NOS; 16600 COMEX NOS / DAYTONA: 116500 NOS (4); 16520 Zenith (6) NOS; 116520 (5) NOS; P.P+++
anakyn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 05:42 AM   #101
bob@bob
"TRF" Member

Hello. First post here. Going to Italy tomorrow. I will be in and Around Florence, Pisa, Venice and Milan. I am looking for deepsea d blue, the new steel white gold datejust 41s, steel daytonas and maybe the gold day date 40 with roman numerals or even a pm daytona with white gold and blue dial. What are the best ads to get a discount or find some of those rarer models like d blue?
bob@bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 07:31 AM   #102
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob@bob View Post
Hello. First post here. Going to Italy tomorrow. I will be in and Around Florence, Pisa, Venice and Milan. I am looking for deepsea d blue, the new steel white gold datejust 41s, steel daytonas and maybe the gold day date 40 with roman numerals or even a pm daytona with white gold and blue dial. What are the best ads to get a discount or find some of those rarer models like d blue?
as I told in other Threads,
If you go to florence, at Ponte Vecchio Bridge the Rolex Boutique , and ask for andrea (he is a man !), very helpful guy
Old 27 May 2017, 08:09 AM   #103
rayven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakyn101 View Post
In regards to the VAT reimbursement (if you reside in a NON EU state you are eligible to get the VAT back) at all locations. It works like this: You purchase the watch and pay the full price with VAT (in Italy it's 22%). At the airport ask for the IVA Reimbursement office and show them your receipt. They will reimburse you in cash.
Here's the instructions (in Italian but use Google translate) http://www.milanomalpensa-airport.co...d/rimborso-iva
Here's a link with all the the Tax refund offices at Malpensa Airport http://www.milanomalpensa-airport.co...borso-iva/desk Keep in mind that these offices are at each major international airport in Italy.
Hope this helps and have a blast!
Extremely helpful, thanks so much! I'll let you know if I end up pulling the trigger on something.
Old 27 May 2017, 12:13 PM   #104
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks!
That's the exact same itinerary I had over a month ago! Good luck with your search!

I'll be returning to Venice & Milan in the summer & hope to find a DJ 41
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:36 PM   #105
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhipooh View Post
This is simply not correct and is the type of misinformation that creates confusion and unnecessary headaches for some consumers.

If the VAT is included (as is the case everywhere in Europe, except at air-side airport shops) the refunded VAT will NOT be the same percentage that is factored into the price. If an item has a 25% VAT factored into its retail price, a full refund would equal 20% of the retail price. For example:

If you assume a given watch costs 8,000€, and the country has a 25% VAT, its retail price would be 10,000€. A full refund would be 20%, which is also referred to as the inverse, calculated as 1/x, where x is 1.25 in our example.

For a 20% VAT, the inverse is 1/1.20, which is .833, for a VAT refund of 16.6%.

In any case, those are theoretical full VAT refunds. In practice, if you are getting a VAT refund through one of the VAT refund scheme companies (such as Global Blue, or Premier Tax Free) you will only get back a portion of the VAT, as the company will take its cut for the convenience. For example, in Italy, where the VAT is 22%, Global Blue will refund 15.5% in purchases over 8,000 €, whereas a full refund would be 18% of the retail price. In other words, they are pocketing ~200€ for the convenience of handling all the paperwork related to the processing of extracting money from the tax authorities in Italy.
This is correct, many people don't get the maths right
Old 27 May 2017, 07:33 PM   #106
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Buying in Italy

Italy is good for watch buying. ADs are willing to negotiate. Realistically you can get 5% discount for credit card or 10% for cash for steel Rolex models + 15% VAT refund in airport.

But not sure you'll find ultra-popular models like BLNR or Daytona waiting for you
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:23 AM   #107
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
Italy is good for watch buying. ADs are willing to negotiate. Realistically you can get 5% discount for credit card or 10% for cash for steel Rolex models + 15% VAT refund in airport.

But not sure you'll find ultra-popular models like BLNR or Daytona waiting for you
10% off a SS Rolex in Italy would definitely make it less than in the UK. I'd like to hear from anyone who has gotten this on a SS sports model.
No SUBctitute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:00 AM   #108
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
That's the exact same itinerary I had over a month ago! Good luck with your search!

I'll be returning to Venice & Milan in the summer & hope to find a DJ 41
Rome is starting to see some now.
I probably tried on four about 2.5 days ago.
I'm rather impressed with the Black dial.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:06 AM   #109
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All the dealers I spoke to said the TRS (which is calculated on a tiered scale) only applied to purchases sold at the full list price.
The same situation applied to purchases of other goods.
Regardless it's still an attractive proposition.

The best part is the more you spend, the more you save
Old 29 May 2017, 01:12 AM   #110
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob@bob View Post
Good luck on that D-blue.
I think the only one they've seen for a while was on my wrist
Old 29 May 2017, 01:26 AM   #111
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
All the dealers I spoke to said the TRS (which is calculated on a tiered scale) only applied to purchases sold at the full list price.

That is dealer specific. VAT reclaim is not dependent on full retail price sales - that is a rule enforced by the dealer. There is nothing practically to stop VAT reclaim on a discounted price. I've done it many times in the UK and Scandinavia on Rolex, AP, Omega and Tudor.

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:44 AM   #112
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
That is dealer specific. VAT reclaim is not dependent on full retail price sales - that is a rule enforced by the dealer. There is nothing practically to stop VAT reclaim on a discounted price. I've done it many times in the UK and Scandinavia on Rolex, AP, Omega and Tudor.

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
I don't claim to be an expert on the implementation of taxation policy at point of sale all around the world, but it seemed to be a policy right across the board regardless of what type of goods were purchased or where ever it may have been.
At the end of the day I'm not about dictating to a vendor what they should or should not be doing in their own country, so I accept the which way the wind blows on the day.
So for the whole month I was there the story was consistent.

Sometimes it was much easier to get a bigger discount for a cash sale where the vendor had the room to move.
And so it was cash. Which is the preferred method of payment as far as they were concerned anyway regardless.
Old 29 May 2017, 06:28 AM   #113
rayven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't claim to be an expert on the implementation of taxation policy at point of sale all around the world, but it seemed to be a policy right across the board regardless of what type of goods were purchased or where ever it may have been.
At the end of the day I'm not about dictating to a vendor what they should or should not be doing in their own country, so I accept the which way the wind blows on the day.
So for the whole month I was there the story was consistent.

Sometimes it was much easier to get a bigger discount for a cash sale where the vendor had the room to move.
And so it was cash. Which is the preferred method of payment as far as they were concerned anyway regardless.
How does the dealer keep you from getting VAT back? Isn't it just providing the receipt to one of the companies that process it?
Old 30 May 2017, 12:42 AM   #114
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How does the dealer keep you from getting VAT back? Isn't it just providing the receipt to one of the companies that process it?
The dealer can't stop you from getting it back. No one said they could stop you from claiming it back.
If I understand your query correctly. They simply weren't able to make it available to you as an option for some reason. It was universally only on condition the full retail price was paid.

My understanding is there's a couple of ways to claim the tax back.
From what I could understand, I think one way is with the dealer doing the paperwork in house at point of sale.
The other way is to claim it back at the airport through one of the companies that handle that sort of thing. That is the way we went for simplicity with our purchases which were only at the full recommended retail price. Otherwise the tax refund wasn't available to us at all as it was universally explained to us at point of sale.
Old 30 May 2017, 04:04 AM   #115
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Buying in Italy

Quote:

These dealers just don't want to discount. You get your VAT back from the price you paid and not from some catalogue. Doesn't matter if you bought a watch or shoes.
The dealer should do a paperwork at sale, you take it and your watch in the box to airport and Bob's your uncle.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 05:41 AM   #116
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These dealers just don't want to discount. You get your VAT back from the price you paid and not from some catalogue. Doesn't matter if you bought a watch or shoes.
The dealer should do a paperwork at sale, you take it and your watch in the box to airport and Bob's your uncle.
I didn't get into it at the time as I was not interested in buying what they had in stock.
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment as it was my conclusion whilst there.

Italy works best as a cash economy where ever possible and I understand that completely. I have been to Italy a number of times and this has always been my experience.
As a country, Italy is very much a product of its modern history.

In summary, i believe they were steering us toward a cash sale where ever possible. I get that completely.
As an example, it even worked out better in regards to our accommodation to go with cash.

I am not in a position to explain fully or understand the vagaries of the implementation of Italy's tax policy at point of sale if applicable.
Old 7 June 2017, 07:51 AM   #117
rayven
"TRF" Member

I know VAT questions are beaten to death on here, but I just want to ensure I'm tracking...

At the AD I show my passport and request tax free form, seems global blue is most popular company? Then at the airport I need to go to customs with form and receipt/items for paperwork to be "stamped" then at this point I can either mail the paperwork back to Global Blue or go to the location at airport to have it processed?

I depart out of Rome to IAD early (06:30) through Brussels with a relatively short layover (1.5 hr). Will these times be an issue in trying to claim VAT? If so, what are the alternatives? Lastly, is it correct that since my last airport prior to departing the EU is Brussels the paperwork HAS to be done there and not Rome?
Old 10 November 2017, 08:15 AM   #118
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Extremely helpful, thanks so much! I'll let you know if I end up pulling the trigger on something.
Heading to Florence, Rome, and Venice. How did you end up?
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 01:05 AM   #119
WVG7
"TRF" Member

Heading to Rome this weekend.

Does anybody of our Italian members have any recommended grey dealers for 5 digit Datejusts?

Thanks in advance!
WVG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 05:49 AM   #120
Drake3287
"TRF" Member

Heading to Italy in a few days also. On my last larger purchase in Florence I simply took the completed paper work to the local Foreign Exchange office they pointed me to and they gave me my VAT money back in cash. From there they take your credit card info and give you the needed paper work for you to have stamped and dropped off at the VAT office at the airport.

If for some reason you don't drop off your stamped paper work when you depart they in turn charge your credit card bak for the VAT amount.

Definitely a pain in the butt but worth it depending on how much your paying in VAT.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote