The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 June 2017, 06:02 AM   #1
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Hear and feel rotor spinning...

Hi! Recently I put the bracelet back on my Sea Dweller 16600 (Z series) after wearing it on a NATO for a few weeks.

While doing this, I noticed I could feel (kind of like a quick electrical shock) and hear the rotor moving. The watch keeps perfect time...

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 12:36 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Probably just never noticed it before. Sounds normal.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 12:44 PM   #3
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Rolex watches have pretty much silent rotors. It could be the rotor axle that is worn, when was it last serviced?
Old 15 June 2017, 02:36 AM   #4
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Hear and feel rotor spinning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Rolex watches have pretty much silent rotors. It could be the rotor axle that is worn, when was it last serviced?

I purchased it new in 2011. About a year after I sent it into Rolex tomen regulated under warranty as timing was not good and it came back perfect. Not sure if they just regulated it or did a service as watch was made around 2005.

Old 15 June 2017, 02:39 AM   #5
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Probably just never noticed it before. Sounds normal.

Thought of that but I've been wearing it daily for the last 6 years and never noticed it. In the last few days I've noticed that it doesn't hold power as long as it used to. Will have it looked at today.

Old 15 June 2017, 10:56 AM   #6
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
My datejust did that and it ended up being the rotor axle went bad. It did it for a while then quit running all together. I had it serviced and it was taken care of as part over the standard RSC Dallas service. After the service it was silent and I never felt it again
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 12:12 PM   #7
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

The rotor axle is definitely the "achilles heel" of Rolex automatic movements. You might want to try holding watch with the case parallel to the ground and shake it up & down a bit. If you can feel/hear the rotor flopping around... well, that's not good. Depending on how bad it is and how long it's been loose, you might get lucky and be able to have just the axle replaced but (more likely) if the rotor has been making contact with the case back or other parts, creating fine dust, afraid you'll likely need a full service.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 03:49 PM   #8
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
The rotor axle is definitely the "achilles heel" of Rolex automatic movements. You might want to try holding watch with the case parallel to the ground and shake it up & down a bit. If you can feel/hear the rotor flopping around... well, that's not good. Depending on how bad it is and how long it's been loose, you might get lucky and be able to have just the axle replaced but (more likely) if the rotor has been making contact with the case back or other parts, creating fine dust, afraid you'll likely need a full service.
I've noticed recently that I can hear the rotor on my 16610 move quite a bit when I move in a way that causes me to swing my arm rapidly..already spoke to my watchmaker, who mentioned something about part of the rotor, but that he would assess if I left the watch with him.

Just tried your "test", and I can definitely feel movement that I don't feel with my Explorer...so I suspect my rotor axle may need to be looked at. Any other parts of the 3135 movement that you think are a week point? I want to tell him to feel free to replace anything he feels is suspect.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 11:57 PM   #9
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

this has me wonder quite a bit about my 16710 ...

I recently purchase a 2005 GMT II and I am loving it, first Rolex, very happy with the overall status of the watch.
I was told by the store that they back it up with 4 years warranty.
however I am now in Canada, Halifax, and the store is in Florida.
from calling Rolex Canada, this watch was not serviced (though I don't know if it was in the US)

The other day, I was running with the watch and I felt something moving inside the watch, felt like the rotor did a rotation on its own when I moved my wrist quickly. I have no issue with the watch not keeping time, It stays on for 48hrs++ with taking it off while I sleep.
I have read so many stories with Rotor malfunctioning or moving freely and therefore not winding or keeping time.
am I to worry about this feeling or the rotor "spinning" when I shake the watch or this is normal for a 12 year old watch ?
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 07:38 AM   #10
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
Thought of that but I've been wearing it daily for the last 6 years and never noticed it. In the last few days I've noticed that it doesn't hold power as long as it used to. Will have it looked at today.

My GMT II had similar symptoms. It was the rotor axle and with a full service came back perfect.
Old 29 June 2017, 02:08 AM   #11
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I'm working on a 5501 Air King today and the axle had been neglected for so long that it even came apart from the rotor. Then, the customer continued to wear it and the spinning of the rotor has caused the top of the axle to eat away at the hole in the rotor. Black dust everywhere! Wear in the movement too. A new axle will not even fit in the hole. Need a whole rotor now. One top of the the crystal was broken off the watch and hands crushed! Talk about neglect!

Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 11:59 AM   #12
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
this has me wonder quite a bit about my 16710 ...

I recently purchase a 2005 GMT II and I am loving it, first Rolex, very happy with the overall status of the watch.
I was told by the store that they back it up with 4 years warranty.
however I am now in Canada, Halifax, and the store is in Florida.
from calling Rolex Canada, this watch was not serviced (though I don't know if it was in the US)

The other day, I was running with the watch and I felt something moving inside the watch, felt like the rotor did a rotation on its own when I moved my wrist quickly. I have no issue with the watch not keeping time, It stays on for 48hrs++ with taking it off while I sleep.
I have read so many stories with Rotor malfunctioning or moving freely and therefore not winding or keeping time.
am I to worry about this feeling or the rotor "spinning" when I shake the watch or this is normal for a 12 year old watch ?
The best way to check if it's the rotor axle is to hold the watch head parallel to the ground (I.e. Dial up) and swing it up and down. You don't have to swing hard. If the rotor axle is worn, you'll feel the rotor shifting up and down. My Sub came back from the service, and it was definitely the rotor axle on mine. New axle and movement service, and its perfect again. Not an expensive part either.
Explorer 124270
Old 28 July 2017, 12:09 PM   #13
mudlupilot@aol.com
Banned

How often should the rotor be serviced?
mudlupilot@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 12:19 PM   #14
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlupilot@aol.com View Post
How often should the rotor be serviced?
It's not a question of how long the rotor gets serviced...you'd just get a basic movement service and this would be done along with that.

According to my watchmaker, a lot of SS models between 2007/8 through around 2011 were under-lubricated at the rotor axle from the factory...the axle of these watches can prematurely dry out, resulting in the "rotor axle shake".
Explorer 124270
Old 31 July 2017, 03:59 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
It's not a question of how long the rotor gets serviced...you'd just get a basic movement service and this would be done along with that.

According to my watchmaker, a lot of SS models between 2007/8 through around 2011 were under-lubricated at the rotor axle from the factory...the axle of these watches can prematurely dry out, resulting in the "rotor axle shake".
That is correct.
When that thing gets dry, the mayhem starts.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote