The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 June 2017, 12:11 AM   #1
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Input on this 1680 please meisters . .

Still trying to hunt something down with rare pickings in the UK . .

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this one. I know the bezel insert is a shiny replacement but would save up to change this in the future ..

I know little about it so far, apart from it's from a well known large London dealer with several outlets. No box, paperwork watch only.

Appreciate you help . . I'm not after a museum piece, more a daily wear with a bit of character
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1680_1.jpg (242.3 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg 1680_2.jpg (178.0 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg 1680_3.jpg (189.5 KB, 589 views)
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 07:01 PM   #2
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

anyone ?

I've started looking at this one again as still available. I know it's not perfect but a bit of input from someone would be excellent.
Old 12 July 2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Nickn
"TRF" Member

How much are they asking for it?
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 01:09 AM   #4
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
How much are they asking for it?
£6.5k . . . I'd hope to get some off that . .
Old 13 July 2017, 05:11 AM   #5
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

£6.5k is good for the UK more like £8k for a decent one. I keep looking at the coronet in photo's 1 and 2 and they look different, the one in photo 2 does not look like that of a Mk 2 (or Mk1 or 3) but the coronet in photo 1 looks fine. I don't know if it is the angle or my eyes! Looks like some uneven colouring on some of the plots but depending on your criteria not a deal breaker. I'd ask for some more photo's to check in more detail.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Woody
"TRF" Member

Looks like a good example to me - the case is strong and the crown guards look nice and thick which is usually a sign that the case has not been polished to within an inch of its life!! I think the bracelet (or at least the clasp) is likely to be a later replacement along with the bezel. I recently paid $6.5K for a 1680 with a replacement dial, handset, bezel, bracelet etc which I have now sent to the RSC for a full service and a new mid-case.......it will end-up costing me a lot more than the example you are looking at. Overall I think in the current UK market it is a pretty good buy. Good luck with your decision.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 08:21 AM   #7
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

thanks for your input ... much appreciated. I will make further enquiries tomorrow
Old 14 July 2017, 12:06 AM   #8
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

more photos !!! please let me know your thoughts

haven't studied them in detail myself yet . . . .

The plexi looks maaaaaassssivve ... T39 ?

if anyone can chip in I would be most grateful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4783.JPG (76.0 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4784.JPG (79.5 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4786.JPG (78.5 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4787.JPG (74.5 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4788.JPG (76.8 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4785.JPG (80.6 KB, 356 views)
Old 14 July 2017, 02:04 AM   #9
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
It's not a T39 as there is a cyclops on it. It's just an over polished 127
The insert is service and worth around $100.
If you were to source a genuine MK3 Fat Font Insert, it would set you back around $1500.
So $8,397 + $1500 = $9897.

In My humble opinion that's too much for a MK2 white dial.
Also the bezel and case is a bit over polished.
The 93150 has too much stretch.

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 06:07 AM   #10
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I think my previous comment re the Coronet is explained by the crystal, the coronet looks fine in the latest photo's.

By US standards there are plenty of White's to choose from and at decent prices which we can only envy in the UK. Here there are just a handful for sale at any one time and £8k is about the norm for a fairly standard polished one with replacement insert but original dial and hands. A full set all original 1680 White can go for £12k and even decent original matt dial 16800's are now also commanding premium prices.

This one is far from being an exceptional 1680 White but at £6.5k it is reasonably priced by UK standards. I know you have been looking for quite a while, so perhaps a visit to the USA may be worth considering?
Old 14 July 2017, 07:18 AM   #11
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I do think it's reasonable for the UK, all things considered. I value both your comments though. Thanks
Old 14 July 2017, 09:01 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
By US standards there are plenty of White's to choose from and at decent prices which we can only envy in the UK.
Not sure I fully agree with this. It took me forever to find a good white 1680 about two years ago, and I think they're drying up even more now. I see a lot more red 1680s being sold. Yes, the nice white 1680s can be found, but it ain't that easy.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 09:12 AM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
What is the serial? I wouldn't be surprised if this is a red sub with a later dial. If so, it should be cheaper imho.

Case is way too soft for my liking but I'm not the one buying..
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 07:34 PM   #14
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Not sure I fully agree with this. It took me forever to find a good white 1680 about two years ago, and I think they're drying up even more now. I see a lot more red 1680s being sold. Yes, the nice white 1680s can be found, but it ain't that easy.
That's interesting to know, I thought it was only the UK that had such a paucity of decent 1680 Whites, we are in a similar position in terms of around 2-3x more Reds for sale than Whites. Thanks for the info
Old 14 July 2017, 07:40 PM   #15
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
I do think it's reasonable for the UK, all things considered. I value both your comments though. Thanks
It always comes down to personal choice, my 1680 White has a replacement insert, service bracelet, has seen a polish or two and has no box or papers. For some any or all of these things would make it a no-no, not for me I've had it four years, love it and would never part with it. £6.5k is a good price for the UK
Old 15 July 2017, 06:52 AM   #16
Woody
"TRF" Member

IMO the challenge with buying vintage is that there is always a better one out there!! If you post pictures on here on any other forum your fellow members will give you good well intentioned feedback, pointing out all the various faults with any prospective purchase. I think the key is your budget.......if you want to spend double what you are looking at for this example then you could (if you are lucky) find a pristine watch........but I guarantee you that there will still be a better one out there somewhere. If it helps any then I decided to buy a fairly rough example which I could then look to bring up to my requirements.......but this will leave me with a watch with mostly service replacement parts. It meets my needs but is unlikely to find favour on forums such as this (which I understand). So I guess the bottom line is to set out in your own mind what is important to you (original dial, strong case, papers etc), then set your budget and accept that it is likely you will have to make some compromises along the way.

Good luck.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 09:12 AM   #17
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
IMO the challenge with buying vintage is that there is always a better one out there!! If you post pictures on here on any other forum your fellow members will give you good well intentioned feedback, pointing out all the various faults with any prospective purchase. I think the key is your budget.......if you want to spend double what you are looking at for this example then you could (if you are lucky) find a pristine watch........but I guarantee you that there will still be a better one out there somewhere. If it helps any then I decided to buy a fairly rough example which I could then look to bring up to my requirements.......but this will leave me with a watch with mostly service replacement parts. It meets my needs but is unlikely to find favour on forums such as this (which I understand). So I guess the bottom line is to set out in your own mind what is important to you (original dial, strong case, papers etc), then set your budget and accept that it is likely you will have to make some compromises along the way.

Good luck.
sensible comments thanks . .

I think there's the fear of making a big mistake and ending up with a lemon that isn't worth half what you paid. But at least with this great forum you can make a judgement based on your own research and what others with much greater knowledge / experience have pointed out. It's minimising the possibility of shocks for me, compromises are no problem.
Old 16 July 2017, 04:35 PM   #18
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I find when you ask for opinions on here you will get good fair feedback, the problem is as buyers we sometimes have rose tinted glasses on and miss things others spot. When buying older watches do remember they were bought to be worn so will have wear and over the years if loved will have seen the odd service , The Watch maker will have replaced parts to keep it in his opinion as near to its best before returning it, How many people 40 yrs ago bought a 1680 to keep as a museum piece , Didn't have it serviced or said don't you dare polish it ! . If you like the watch buy it ! . If you want good honest advice in the UK , ask Mike Wood or Haywood Milton , two lovely gentlemen be patient they are extremely busy guys who have life's and business to run but always help members from forums and remember to thank them for there time ,

I would send MW a picture of this and ask him is there anything you don't like ? .or do you have anything nicer you wish to sell , explain your concerns . If the bracelet bothers you buy a better one or have Michael Young rebuild it, the plexi looks a service replacement but after 30+ yrs hardly a suprise. You can buy correct top hat plexis on VRM same with Inserts but factor in the extra cost when buying this example ,if you can't live with it as is .

HTH
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 06:23 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
I find when you ask for opinions on here you will get good fair feedback, the problem is as buyers we sometimes have rose tinted glasses on and miss things others spot. When buying older watches do remember they were bought to be worn so will have wear and over the years if loved will have seen the odd service , The Watch maker will have replaced parts to keep it in his opinion as near to its best before returning it, How many people 40 yrs ago bought a 1680 to keep as a museum piece , Didn't have it serviced or said don't you dare polish it ! . If you like the watch buy it ! . If you want good honest advice in the UK , ask Mike Wood or Haywood Milton , two lovely gentlemen be patient they are extremely busy guys who have life's and business to run but always help members from forums and remember to thank them for there time ,

I would send MW a picture of this and ask him is there anything you don't like ? .or do you have anything nicer you wish to sell , explain your concerns . If the bracelet bothers you buy a better one or have Michael Young rebuild it, the plexi looks a service replacement but after 30+ yrs hardly a suprise. You can buy correct top hat plexis on VRM same with Inserts but factor in the extra cost when buying this example ,if you can't live with it as is .

HTH
Great advice. My last purchase was a rough unserviced 1675 from 1971. To most people it looked old and worthless. I factored in a bracelet service with Michael Young and RSC service in London and boy I've now got what looks like a brand new watch, albeit dial, hands, bezel and plexi all retained. Don't overlook an old ratty piece if the case is still fat. The piece you're looking at looks pretty good. It might look expensive now, but in 2 years probably not
Old 17 July 2017, 06:02 AM   #20
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
What is the serial? I wouldn't be surprised if this is a red sub with a later dial. If so, it should be cheaper imho.

Case is way too soft for my liking but I'm not the one buying..
It's a 5.7 mill serial 1978
Old 17 July 2017, 06:13 AM   #21
WatchDigger45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Still trying to hunt something down with rare pickings in the UK . .

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this one. I know the bezel insert is a shiny replacement but would save up to change this in the future ..

I know little about it so far, apart from it's from a well known large London dealer with several outlets. No box, paperwork watch only.

Appreciate you help . . I'm not after a museum piece, more a daily wear with a bit of character

Really good and sleek design, I'd never think twice before going for it.
WatchDigger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 06:23 AM   #22
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post

HTH
Thanks
Old 17 July 2017, 08:11 AM   #23
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
So she is 39 yrs old , It is entitled to show some wear and tear .
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 08:29 AM   #24
magnetized
"TRF" Member

Watch: aHolic
Too expensive, case is way overpolished,service insert..
magnetized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 08:38 AM   #25
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Good! Still quite soft for my liking but I'm glad the serial match the dial.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote