The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2017, 05:49 AM   #1
V10K
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Automatic vs OysterQuartz

This is a serious question.

I have a Rolex OysterQuartz which I really love. I would like to add another Rolex to my collection as I wear this daily. I want to learn to love Rolex Automatics but it seems like such a hassle. I had a JLC Squadra Reverso Hometime and I hardly wore it mostly because it was black and second because I had to constantly adjust it even though I left it on the watch winder all the time. I'm afraid if I get another Automatic the same thing will happen. I just don't see why everyone prefers them over the oysterQuartz. I am debating if I should buy another OQ to add to my collection.

I had a vintage Rolex mechanical which was an even bigger hassle but it was very pretty. I sold it to make room for the OQ. The grab n go mentality might be my thing, but I am curious as to how everyone else does it. Does everyone really have that much time in their lives to be constantly setting/checking their watch every few days?
V10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 05:56 AM   #2
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Automatic vs OysterQuartz

Sounds like you've already talked yourself out of it. It doesn't take "that much time in my life" to adjust the time by a minute or so once a month. If your watch is running more than 5-10 seconds fast or slow every day, it needs service/repair.

If you need to-the-second accuracy all the time, then a mechanical watch is not for you. Buy an atomic quartz or a Seiko spring drive, and call it good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:01 AM   #3
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I just wear mine and forget it's on my wrist, every so often I will check it, probably every month / six weeks and put it to the correct time and then forget all about it again. Takes a couple of minutes, no big deal, I don't fret about it being a little out, it's never very much out, it's a mechanical watch, it's never going to keep to the accuracy of a OQ. I love fact it's mechanical, and self winding, a marvel of horological excellence. Buy one and marvel.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:03 AM   #4
timeseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Sounds like you've already talked yourself out of it. It doesn't take "that much time in my life" to adjust the time by a minute or so once a month. If your watch is running more than 5-10 seconds fast or slow every day, it needs service/repair.

If you need to-the-second accuracy all the time, then a mechanical watch is not for you. Buy an atomic quartz or a Seiko spring drive, and call it good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed! Mechanical watches are expensive and are expensive with regards to service compared to any digital quartz watch. If accuracy and low cost is a concern, any atomic solar powered watch will last for years upon years and require little upkeep, except for a bit of sun.
timeseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:11 AM   #5
Magwitch
Banned

I have a radio controlled solar G-Shock that sits on the windowsill. I wear it very rarely. It's always exact though.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I set my Rolex watches maybe every month or so when there is a short month. Rarely do my watches need resetting for time issues.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
If you wear it daily there is no hassle as it should always be wound. And if it is off 2 sec/day that is only a min per month. A minute off doesn't affect my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:19 AM   #8
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Have the DD Quartz and it is dead on time! Love the styling although many here do not like the reference.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:35 AM   #9
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you need exact accuracy use the clock on your phone. I enjoy winding and fiddling with my mechanical watches. I prob adjust the time every couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:37 AM   #10
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i used to set the time on my sub every month , with too few days ,,,
now i wear an explorer , i seldom set the time at all.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:46 AM   #11
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I almost purchased one. I liked the styling.

I would worry more about future parts availability of the quartz, than I do about losing a second a day on my 1675.
Old 20 July 2017, 08:48 AM   #12
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
A mechanical watch has a soul ... a quartz watch does not.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 08:50 AM   #13
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

Will you be able to service a quartz watch in say 20 years from now ?

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 09:06 AM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
A mechanical watch has a soul ... a quartz watch does not.
A crystal vibrating naturally has no soul, but a metal mainspring and balance wheel does?

An OQ is hybrid quartz/mechanical. It's not a casio. The movement has 11 jewels, and was five years in dvelopment. I expect parts will be around for many years to come. They are fine watches.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A crystal vibrating naturally has no soul, but a metal mainspring and balance wheel does?

An OQ is hybrid quartz/mechanical. It's not a casio. The movement has 11 jewels, and was five years in dvelopment. I expect parts will be around for many years to come. They are fine watches.
Yes. A mechanical watch has a soul ... that metal mainspring, balance wheel, rotor, etc., give the watch a rhythm that a quartz cannot produce. Kind of similar to the difference between tubes and transistors.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:17 AM   #16
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
I have a 19018 DD quartz that i where only in the weekend very easy it always run perfect best buy ever.
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:18 AM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Yes. A mechanical watch has a soul ... that metal mainspring, balance wheel, rotor, etc., give the watch a rhythm that a quartz cannot produce. Kind of similar to the difference between tubes and transistors.
Here's a quote from another forum long ago, whose author I can neither remember nor find, but which is nevertheless worth repeating, IMO.

"Think about it. Although the tech is newer, the quartz and kenetics still use a simple bit of stone from the ground to maintain accuracy. A small bit of voltage is shoved through a bit of quartz from "Mother Earth" and an oscilation is produced that is so reliably precise that it is used for timing devices. Essentially, the REAL timepiece IS THE QUARTZ CRYSTAL, not the movement that is constructed around it. And the quartz crystal is not even man made. It was produced in nature, but the hand of God, or in whatever manner you prefer to believe quartz is produced in the earth. :-) It is almost a microcosmic version of what goes on in the universe around us. The planets circle the sun and the sun and all the other sons circle the galactic center...etc... and unless that process is disturbed somehow ... the entire thing keeps perfect time and it wasn't even man-made. You can't deny that there is a certain elegance and beauty in the process. :-) and there is a definite irony in using a small bit of this grand universal process on your wrist to tell time."
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:21 AM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I change watches every week and I love the 2 minutes I spend setting the time and date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Hawaii2017
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36mm ref. 16233
Automatic = Catwalk
OysterQuartz = Beater
Hawaii2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 11:29 AM   #20
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I was thinking about this very topic last night (insert twilight zone music). I, am an Engineer, a bit OCD and definitely a techy that has to have the latest and greatest. When I say that, I mean I always strive for the most efficient and ACCURATE procedure/process/mechanism. The ONE exception to this is my watch. I prefer the automatic Rolex, as opposed to a much more accurate quartz model. I find it a true enigma in my life (one of many ). I can only offer what I said when I tried to explain it to myself; there is something familar and soothing with an automatic movement. I have read the term "character" and maybe that is it, but I prefer the mechanism of my watch be made with springs and metal and a lot of hand-made construction over an electronic model. It is just more... traditional? Personal? Really hard to explain. The bottom line OP is the Oysterquartz is a great model, if that is what YOU prefer and it makes you happy, then by all means go with it. For some of us, which is very difficult to explain, we prefer the mechanical, even though it is not nearly as accurate.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 07:30 AM   #21
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Here's a quote from another forum long ago, whose author I can neither remember nor find, but which is nevertheless worth repeating, IMO.

"Think about it. Although the tech is newer, the quartz and kenetics still use a simple bit of stone from the ground to maintain accuracy. A small bit of voltage is shoved through a bit of quartz from "Mother Earth" and an oscilation is produced that is so reliably precise that it is used for timing devices. Essentially, the REAL timepiece IS THE QUARTZ CRYSTAL, not the movement that is constructed around it. And the quartz crystal is not even man made. It was produced in nature, but the hand of God, or in whatever manner you prefer to believe quartz is produced in the earth. :-) It is almost a microcosmic version of what goes on in the universe around us. The planets circle the sun and the sun and all the other sons circle the galactic center...etc... and unless that process is disturbed somehow ... the entire thing keeps perfect time and it wasn't even man-made. You can't deny that there is a certain elegance and beauty in the process. :-) and there is a definite irony in using a small bit of this grand universal process on your wrist to tell time."
Awesome quote!

To the OP: if you get a manual Rolex and don't wear it for a time, of course it you'll have to reset it when you want to wear it again. It takes less than two minutes to unscrew the crown, wind the watch and then set the time. The only way it becomes tedious is if you're trying to set it to an atomic clock or something like that.

The OQ is an awesome watch, and you'd be in pretty good shape if it was your one and only.

Good luck!
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 07:51 AM   #22
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I was thinking about this very topic last night (insert twilight zone music). I, am an Engineer, a bit OCD and definitely a techy that has to have the latest and greatest. When I say that, I mean I always strive for the most efficient and ACCURATE procedure/process/mechanism. The ONE exception to this is my watch. I prefer the automatic Rolex, as opposed to a much more accurate quartz model. I find it a true enigma in my life (one of many ). I can only offer what I said when I tried to explain it to myself; there is something familar and soothing with an automatic movement. I have read the term "character" and maybe that is it, but I prefer the mechanism of my watch be made with springs and metal and a lot of hand-made construction over an electronic model. It is just more... traditional? Personal? Really hard to explain. The bottom line OP is the Oysterquartz is a great model, if that is what YOU prefer and it makes you happy, then by all means go with it. For some of us, which is very difficult to explain, we prefer the mechanical, even though it is not nearly as accurate.
Great explanation. I am still trying to fathom how one would prefer automatic over oysterquartz . I also bought automatic and mechanical watches previously trying to develop that refined taste to no avail. I am about to buy another OQ, slightly different model than the one I have. They are not easy to find in late model with white roman dials. The other dials make the watch look old and vintage to me. I am always surprised how other people aren't hunting these down like I am.

It was either this or a Rolex Polar Explorer II. The Polar Explorer had beauty to it but it didn't seem classic enough to me. Plus the headache of having to keep it on a winder and worrying that the time might not be accurate would bother me. 'I got 99 problems but a watch aint one.'
Old 22 July 2017, 02:55 PM   #23
V10K
"TRF" Member

Icon20

I hope I didn't jump the gun here, I post a crazy whim on here and then I always end up buying another watch a day later. I ended up sticking to the OQ, I like the no maintenance, no hassle Rolex plus the bands are incredibly comfy and gorgeous. I feel like the ss band works with jeans, pants and suits. This time I ordered one with the jubilee bracelet:

I wish I found this with a white roman dial with silver plated numbers instead of black buckley dial (atleast it doesnt have the ugly yellow markers). The 17014 seems pretty rare esp with white roman dials. One thing I never get why no one else appreciates these as crazy as I do ? I'm sortof glad as the watches remain cheap but to me are the pinnacle of perfection. It just feels like everyone is going in one direction, where I'm going in the other.
Old 22 July 2017, 03:06 PM   #24
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Setting my watch is part of why I love mechanical watches. To me it sounds like you like quartz watches and there is nothing wrong with that, if that's what makes you smile
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 06:02 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddodoc View Post
Have the DD Quartz and it is dead on time! Love the styling although many here do not like the reference.
The DD quartz is a fine watch but Pre Rolex own 100% made quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement.Now Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months.But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement,to fit there Oyster case,so only stated the Rolex 5100 was water resist and not waterproof,now this was the first Rolex ever with a sapphire crystal.Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement,and the design was very still close to the beta movement,but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Calibre: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ± 60 seconds a year (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.) but average 4-5 seconds a month
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Ref http://www.oysterquartz.net/

Now some of the selected Grand Seiko Japanese quartz model these were very accurate quartz model but very expensive even then.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now certainly the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

And lets not forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a Rolex quartz analogue watch.The same type drive train as in like say the cal 3035 less the balance and escapement and main spring.Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal,and the quartz movement is more expensive than its mechanical brother if ever it needs replacing.Service time around the same as the mechanical but could be more expensive today. And Rolex used to replace batteries free of charge and replace case back seals in some countries,and today most good top quality ETA quartz analogue can match the Rolex quartz for accuracy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 22 July 2017 at 07:46 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 06:42 PM   #26
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Hmmm, I think I would agree with you had I not opened my recently acquired '88 TT Rolex oyster-quartz and watched the mechanics and the associated gears.

You should research before commenting further.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 11:59 PM   #27
V10K
"TRF" Member

Icon3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsykedaddy View Post
Setting my watch is part of why I love mechanical watches. To me it sounds like you like quartz watches and there is nothing wrong with that, if that's what makes you smile
That makes sense, maybe its my life that is too busy and complicated that I don't have time to play/fidget with my watch. I'm always running as fast as I can while putting my watch on. I also prefer the heft of the oysterquartz as opposed to the lightness of my rados (I do like ceramic bracelets as they never scratch).
Old 23 July 2017, 12:19 AM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I prefer the automatic over the quartz, but I can see the advantages...

I don't actually have to fiddle much with my mechanical watches. For example, I have been out in the desert for a couple of weeks with my trusty EXP2. I wound it up and set it before the trip and as I begin the return home it is about 5 seconds behind the atomic clock. Good enough for me.

Oh, and I've played golf, mountain climbed, swam, and in general wore the crap out of it. Cleaned it up last night in the shower and it looks like the day I bought it, even better. So yeah...that's the watch for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 12:20 AM   #29
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hmmm, I think I would agree with you had I not opened my recently acquired '88 TT Rolex oyster-quartz and watched the mechanics and the associated gears.

You should research before commenting further.
+1

The OQ movement is breath taking IMHO.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0...ew?usp=sharing
Video isn't the best.
Old 23 July 2017, 12:29 AM   #30
V10K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I prefer the automatic over the quartz, but I can see the advantages...

I don't actually have to fiddle much with my mechanical watches. For example, I have been out in the desert for a couple of weeks with my trusty EXP2. I wound it up and set it before the trip and as I begin the return home it is about 5 seconds behind the atomic clock. Good enough for me.

Oh, and I've played golf, mountain climbed, swam, and in general wore the crap out of it. Cleaned it up last night in the shower and it looks like the day I bought it, even better. So yeah...that's the watch for me.
I have been pretty close to buying a polar explorer ii, last month I was really liking the dial. For some reason don't feel that way now. I like my Rolex to eschew class, dignity and elegance which to me means the DJ 36mm.