The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2017, 01:10 AM   #1
cchukan
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Advice/Recommendation on selecting retailer

Hello all,

After lurking around on this forum for a couple of months, I've finally decided to purchase. I own a Tag and a Montblanc watch but I think I'm ready for a Rolex. The model I've chosen is the blue/black 116710BLNR. Although I really wanted the red/blue 116719BLRO, I simply can't justify the price of white gold.

I just moved to northern Virginia (Tyson/Vienna/McLean area) due to work and would love to hear some recommendations on choosing an authorized retailer. Anyone from this area? If not, any advice on what I should look for when visiting retailers? I don't think any retailers have these in stock so I guess I'll put my name down.

My questions for you all are:

1. I have my quirks and I'd like my watch if it was unopened and never tried on someone else's wrist. Is that too much to ask or impossible?

2. Do prices differ from the Rolex official website? Do they typically add or reduce from it? Is it possible for a discount?

3. Seems like there are no Rolex official stores around northern VA and D.C. area. I'd really like to purchase from an official Rolex store. How come they don't have official Rolex stores around here?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses!
cchukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 01:14 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchukan View Post
Hello all,

After lurking around on this forum for a couple of months, I've finally decided to purchase. I own a Tag and a Montblanc watch but I think I'm ready for a Rolex. The model I've chosen is the blue/black 116710BLNR. Although I really wanted the red/blue 116719BLRO, I simply can't justify the price of white gold.

I just moved to northern Virginia (Tyson/Vienna/McLean area) due to work and would love to hear some recommendations on choosing an authorized retailer. Anyone from this area? If not, any advice on what I should look for when visiting retailers? I don't think any retailers have these in stock so I guess I'll put my name down.

1. I have my quirks and I'd like my watch if it was unopened and never tried on someone else's wrist. Is that too much to ask or impossible?

2. Do prices differ from the Rolex official website? Do they typically add or reduce from it? Is it possible for a discount?

3. Seems like there are no Rolex official stores around northern VA and D.C. area. I'd really like to purchase from an official Rolex store. How come they don't have official Rolex stores around here?

1. That depends on the AD. On models that sit for a long time like PM watches I feel the same as you

2 YES they do. In the US the MSRP does NOT include sales tax. So prices will be at least 8% higher.

3 All rolex retailers are AD's and not run by Rolex AFAIK. Boutiques that only sell Rolex are still not run by Rolex, but rather independent retailers just like an AD that carries multiple brands. There are several AD's close to your location.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 02:44 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

You can ask

You can ask

There are Rolex AD's in both Tysons Corner and Tysons Galleria.

Best of luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 03:15 AM   #4
cchukan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses.

To clarify my third question, I was referring to Rolex exclusive boutiques, not watch stores that have multiple brands. I'm aware that those stores are still authorized retailers shown on Rolex websites. Thanks for the help!
Old 21 July 2017, 03:29 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

To clarify my third question, I was referring to Rolex exclusive boutiques, not watch stores that have multiple brands. I'm aware that those stores are still authorized retailers shown on Rolex websites. Thanks for the help!
there isn't any difference. Neither are run by Rolex.

Often AD's that carry Rolex and other brands and "boutiques" that only carry rolex are owned and operated by the same company in many markets and they operate several different types of stores.

In london for example, i could buy a rolex from watches of switzerland as they carry rolex along with about 50 other brands, or i could buy at the Rolex boutique which is a different store in a different location. They are both owned by watches of switzerland so I'm buying the watch from the same company either way.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 03:32 AM   #6
cchukan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
there isn't any difference. Neither are run by Rolex.

Often AD's that carry Rolex and other brands and "boutiques" that only carry rolex are owned and operated by the same company in many markets and they operate several different types of stores.
Gotcha. I appreciate it. Thanks
Old 21 July 2017, 03:51 AM   #7
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Keep in mind these are very exp items like cars and usually you have to get one that's been on the lot or display case unless it's a special order. They still keep the stickers on etc so I don't consider it an issue at all. It's not like an Apple Watch where they never sell the display and have a bunch in sealed boxes.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:20 AM   #8
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I don't get this obsession with "no one can look at my watch before I buy it". Even with a car, which costs a lot more, if I order one and no one test drives it, there's still a guy that drives it out of the factory, another one who drives it to a train or boat, another one who drives it off of the train or the boat, and yet another guy who drives it onto a transport and off again, and then the guy at the dealer who cleans it and takes off the plastic, and a mechanic who drives it to make sure that it works and then a salesman is going to drive it one last time to fill it up with gas. So...

I always try to buy my watches used. I save a whole bunch of money, and I can always wash it to get the cooties off before I put it on if I'm feeling particularly OCD.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 04:22 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Lillenquest and Beckstead. There is one in tysons. Although the one in Montgomery Mall provides better service. I would ask for James.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 05:53 AM   #10
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Alan Furman Rockville, MD would be near you.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 10:27 AM   #11
cchukan
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the responses.

Today while visiting the mall I went into one of the authorized retailers and asked to put my name down. They said one blue/black 116710BLNR came in 2 days ago and it was on hold for a customer who did not show up last night. They called that customer in front me one more time but the customer expressed that he will wait for the next one. So, I bought it.

Super happy with the purchase, thanks again for all the help.
Old 21 July 2017, 10:30 AM   #12
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
Alan Furman Rockville, MD would be near you.
AF is not an AR.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote