The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2017, 12:20 PM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

Card signature from DavidSW (or other non-ADs)

The last watch I bought was from an AD so the warranty card was stamped with the AD's name and address and then dated by them. For those of you who buy new from DavidSW (or other non-ADs), do you do date the card yourself or leave it blank? If sending back to RSC for service/warranty, will RSC care if the card is blank/the watch was not bought from an AD?
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Doood
"TRF" Member

I am curious as well.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 12:31 PM   #3
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have bought BNIB from trusted sellers here and have had my name on the warranty card. Never had a blank one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
I've purchased a few from David and the cards were stamped by the AD and dated. On new ones, the name was left blank (David had my name added before shipping to me).
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 12:32 PM   #5
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
When you buy the watch from a trusted seller it has an AD's name stamped on it (whichever AD they purchased it from) and it is named and dated by DavidSW. Then tells the AD who he bought it from the name and date he wrote on the card.

Other trusted sellers get them directly from an AD, they call them up and say "put HarrisonK on the card and dated it 4/14/17" and then the watch ships from the AD with your name on the card and the date you bought it (so the AD swipes it before sending it to you)
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 12:36 PM   #6
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

You can leave the card blank for the time being if desired but if you ever need warranty work, make sure it has somebody's name on it before sending it to Rolex.

The date that is written in is sort of arbitrary because Rolex will know exactly when the watch was sold/warranty began because the dealer swipes the card before the watch leaves their store. If a reseller has the watch in inventory for a couple months, that'll be a couple months shorter warranty.

Lastly, every Rolex is sold by an AD at some point unless you are a celebrity or pro athlete or something that gets them direct.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 01:28 PM   #7
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
All watches are originally bought from an AD no matter where they end up, so the RSC won't know from whom you bought the watch, they will only know when it was originally bought from an AD when the card was swiped.

They won't know the name of the original buyer either unless it happens to already be written on the card, but even then the name on the card is not important to the RSC.

David has written my name on the warranty card on the watches I've bought from him new. Some of his used watches have an open card as well depending on what the original buyer requested.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Greenp
"TRF" Member

I was wondering if anyone bought a brand besides Rolex from a trusted seller. Do you also get a valid warranty card?
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 02:37 PM   #9
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
New 5 year warranty cards have to be swiped electronically by the AD so warranty starts the day it is done so by the AD. Name can be left blank.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 04:57 PM   #10
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Card signature from DavidSW (or other non-ADs)

"when you buy a Rolex from the grey market, you do not have any more a warranty.

This is a way for Rolex to control gray market sales and their overall distribution."

"Rolex checks it this way : when you buy a Rolex watch at an AD, they photocopy the filled in green warranty card and send it to Rolex. Whenever a watch is sent under warranty, Rolex checks for that photocopy and it has to match your name. If they don’t have your card in their records and you can’t provide the original bill of sale from the AD, then you bill charged for a service "

Read this..

https://blog.toolwatch.io/watch-tips...olicy-updated/
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 05:34 PM   #11
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
I purchased my SD from a jewellers that had no name on the warranty card. It's not important.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 05:35 PM   #12
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex does not keep records of ownership nor is it required to ID yourself when buying a watch.
The warranty comes with the watch and starts when the card is swiped at the AD, regardless who bought it, grey dealer or private person.

No announcements of changes in warranty policy have been made by Rolex.
Obviously even Rolex has to comply with consumers rights legislation and can't just change watch owners rights overnight.
Old 15 April 2017, 05:57 PM   #13
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Correct. The article above is complete BS. Just read the comments. A FULL warranty means just that.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 06:27 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejm View Post
"when you buy a Rolex from the grey market, you do not have any more a warranty.

This is a way for Rolex to control gray market sales and their overall distribution."

"Rolex checks it this way : when you buy a Rolex watch at an AD, they photocopy the filled in green warranty card and send it to Rolex. Whenever a watch is sent under warranty, Rolex checks for that photocopy and it has to match your name. If they don’t have your card in their records and you can’t provide the original bill of sale from the AD, then you bill charged for a service "

Read this..

This is a false rumour that was going around late last year, spread by a couple of idiot bloggers and youtubers. Ignore it. There's even a retraction near the top of the page you link to.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 08:51 PM   #15
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejm View Post

Read this..

Rubbish. Rolex only want to see the card or a copy with date/stamp on it. Name means nothing. Rolex understand that we live in a free society where we are allowed to sell their products second hand. Warranty stands even if it has 300 owners in 5 years.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 06:40 AM   #16
manhattanproj
"TRF" Member

does rolex re-issue warranty card for a new watch?

the card was supposed to have my name. a snafu happened and the card was named under someone else. the seller (recommended by some in this forum) will have the card re-issue to my name. does rolex do that? cause for worries/concerns?
manhattanproj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 09:12 AM   #17
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
It does not really matter what is on the card
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 09:27 AM   #18
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
I have an open card submariner - no name, date, dealer info.

I have a card from a trusted seller on here - my name, december 16 date - whoever the dealer in canada is.

Doesn't matter. If you have warrantee work that needs to be done, there are many many threads about if your card is any good if you're not the original owner.
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote