The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 May 2017, 05:31 AM   #1
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
why is Rolex called Rolex

Not sure if anyone can shed some light on this the internet threw this up

Hans Wilsdorf wanted his watches to bear a name that was short, easy to say and remember in any language, and which looked good on watch movements and dials.....

However I understand that before he died Hans Wilsdorf was non committed to an answer when asked,

My watch maker seem to think that he read its a French abbreviation for
"exquisite timepiece"

does anyone know for sure?
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:38 AM   #2
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
HoROLogical EXcellence?
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:42 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
RObocop Like, EXcels.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:51 AM   #4
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Because "Rollie" was too long.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:02 AM   #5
Cold904L
Banned

The short answer is magic. But here it is from the most definitive source...

GENIUS IN
FIVE LETTERS
Rolex's Name Origin

Hans Wilsdorf wanted his watches to bear a name that was short, easy to say and remember in any language, and which looked good on watch movements and dials.
He said, “I tried combining the letters of the alphabet in every possible way. This gave me some hundred names, but none of them felt quite right. One morning, while riding on the upper deck of a horse-drawn omnibus along Cheapside in the City of London, a genie whispered ‘Rolex’ in my ear.”

Cold904L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:08 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think there is an exact documented source and only assumptions and folklore....I heard an interesting one @ the Wynn last time I was there, it made a lot of sense to me....Seems like Hans wanted a name that was easy to pronounce/rolls off the tongue in different languages....that was one of the considerations for Rolex.....who knows if it's really true or not.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:11 AM   #7
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
If the founder never said where it came from how could anyone know for sure?

There is a lengthy thread in here somewhere about this very topic. The reason I found most probable (of those listed) is that Rolex is easily pronounced in many languages. And as it has no meaning it can't be found to be offensive or off putting in any language. Kind of like Chevy's Nova, which they tried to sell in Latin American countries and Mexico. Nova, No Va, in Espanol means "No Go". Not a good name for a car.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:12 AM   #8
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I don't think there is an exact documented source and only assumptions and folklore....I heard an interesting one @ the Wynn last time I was there, it made a lot of sense to me....Seems like Hans wanted a name that was easy to pronounce/rolls off the tongue in different languages....that was one of the considerations for Rolex.....who knows if it's really true or not.
That's what I've heard
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:19 AM   #9
James_
"TRF" Member

On the Rolex website - “I tried combining the letters of the alphabet in every possible way. This gave me some hundred names, but none of them felt quite right. One morning, while riding on the upper deck of a horse-drawn omnibus along Cheapside in the City of London, a genie whispered ‘Rolex’ in my ear.”
James_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 06:41 AM   #10
Manzy8
"TRF" Member

In reference to the post by James. This is the story I remember reading on the Rolex website as well.

Last edited by Manzy8; 26 May 2017 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Added the posters above my comment name.
Manzy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:01 AM   #11
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Just because.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 07:36 AM   #12
drm20
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Just one more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold904L View Post
The short answer is magic. But here it is from the most definitive source...

GENIUS IN
FIVE LETTERS
Rolex's Name Origin

Hans Wilsdorf wanted his watches to bear a name that was short, easy to say and remember in any language, and which looked good on watch movements and dials.
He said, “I tried combining the letters of the alphabet in every possible way. This gave me some hundred names, but none of them felt quite right. One morning, while riding on the upper deck of a horse-drawn omnibus along Cheapside in the City of London, a genie whispered ‘Rolex’ in my ear.”

Same thing I've heard, I agree
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:25 AM   #13
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm20 View Post
Same thing I've heard, I agree
Me too!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It's a fictional word he made up to look good on a dial. He also claims a angle whispered it in his ear after combining many letters to find the word. He started the company in England. He then only moved it to Switzerland from England to avoid taxes.
Old 26 May 2017, 08:32 AM   #15
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
In fact there is a document that was found in Rolex' archives that Mr. Wilsdorf wrote regarding the origin of Rolex. There was a copy of it in the training material I received when I went to Rolex training. The document mentioned the genie whispering 'Rolex' in his ear while riding a carriage. You can read about it in Rolex' own website:

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-history/1905-1919.html
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:33 AM   #16
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Maybe Hans W. derived it from the Spanish word for clock "Reloj"
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 08:42 AM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The most reiable/believable source I have seen is in this letter of provenance owned by Mike Wood. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Davis
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 09:37 AM   #18
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Because you're suppose to roll the X, not the R.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 09:46 AM   #19
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The most reiable/believable source I have seen is in this letter of provenance owned by Mike Wood. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Davis
Thanks for sharing this Adam.

This thread has been pretty educational for me gang, seems like the guys @ the Wynn read up on similar training mentioned by Movieguy. Interesting for sure, appreciate the education.
Old 26 May 2017, 10:30 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
Maybe Hans W. derived it from the Spanish word for clock "Reloj"
Ah, so that's why they spell it like that in Guangzhou.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 11:48 AM   #21
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Because it sounds better than XELOR. :-)
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 11:59 AM   #22
wizman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kendall View Post
HoROLogical EXcellence?
you are quite right!
The name is taken from the French phrase horlogerie exquise – meaning ‘hoROLogical EXcellence’
wizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 01:08 PM   #23
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_ View Post
On the Rolex website - “I tried combining the letters of the alphabet in every possible way. This gave me some hundred names, but none of them felt quite right. One morning, while riding on the upper deck of a horse-drawn omnibus along Cheapside in the City of London, a genie whispered ‘Rolex’ in my ear.”
Can I offer my alternative hypothetical explanation Sir ?

Mr Hans Wilsdorf was fluent in Latin (language and Maths were his favourite subjects) and actually penned volume I of the Rolex Jubilee Vade Mecum in Latin during WW2 which was later translated into English.Latin was THE lingua franca of Ancient Rome civilization and Rome was THE centre of the universe.I'm emphasizing this important points because the key to solving the puzzle lies on two words: Roman and Latin

The double decker horse drawn omnibus on which Mr Hans got his inspiration from was a reminiscence of the horse drawn carriage of ancient Rome travelling on the pebbled roads.
Mr Hans said and I quote "combining every letters of the alphabet in every possible way" The Latin word for alphabetical arrangement in a language is LEXICON

I suspect Mr Hans was also trying to create an easy to pronounce two syllable word like the word "Roman" or "Latin". Subconsciously thinking in Latin (not English),when the genie whispered to him what Mr Hans meant was
" Eureka ! I have found it ! "
( genii is the plural form of genie derived directly from the Latin word for genius).The so-called story of the genie ( Jinni ) in the bottle Tales of Arabian Nights )is some0ne else's idea of romanticising one of the greatest brand names in Human History

Mr Hans being the perfect dashing gentleman,was not actually referring to the Genie from the magical lamp BUT recalling that fateful morning when suddenly everything fell perfectly into place....by a moment of pure genii(genius)

ROman+LEXicon+Dual syllable=
RO+LEX= ROLEX

The photo below is one of the first W&D pendant watches made by Rolex.Oh!Of course. Mr Hans Wilsdorf made sure the dial had the Roman numerals......

meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:31 PM   #24
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Can I offer my alternative hypothetical explanation Sir ?

Mr Hans Wilsdorf was fluent in Latin (language and Maths were his favourite subjects) and actually penned volume I of the Rolex Jubilee Vade Mecum in Latin during WW2 which was later translated into English.Latin was THE lingua franca of Ancient Rome civilization and Rome was THE centre of the universe.I'm emphasizing this important points because the key to solving the puzzle lies on two words: Roman and Latin

The double decker horse drawn omnibus on which Mr Hans got his inspiration from was a reminiscence of the horse drawn carriage of ancient Rome travelling on the pebbled roads.
Mr Hans said and I quote "combining every letters of the alphabet in every possible way" The Latin word for alphabetical arrangement in a language is LEXICON

I suspect Mr Hans was also trying to create an easy to pronounce two syllable word like the word "Roman" or "Latin". Subconsciously thinking in Latin (not English),when the genie whispered to him what Mr Hans meant was
" Eureka ! I have found it ! "
( genii is the plural form of genie derived directly from the Latin word for genius).The so-called story of the genie ( Jinni ) in the bottle Tales of Arabian Nights )is some0ne else's idea of romanticising one of the greatest brand names in Human History

Mr Hans being the perfect dashing gentleman,was not actually referring to the Genie from the magical lamp BUT recalling that fateful morning when suddenly everything fell perfectly into place....by a moment of pure genii(genius)

ROman+LEXicon+Dual syllable=
RO+LEX= ROLEX

The photo below is one of the first W&D pendant watches made by Rolex.Oh!Of course. Mr Hans Wilsdorf made sure the dial had the Roman numerals......

I must say, this is a pretty well thought out hypothesis....we'll never know but that's as good a guess as anyone can make heh.
Old 26 May 2017, 03:22 PM   #25
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yes, that was a good joke.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 05:19 PM   #26
rolex aficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16018-16610-116520
Because if We say it backward we will return back to our original dimension ,,,,

Wha???????????
rolex aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 11:42 PM   #27
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Hans Wilsdorf wanted a friend's suggestion when naming his new watch company. He didn't know the friend's number so he asked his secretary to bring him his ROLodEX!

The rest is history my good sir.

Last edited by azs.77; 26 May 2017 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: typo :(
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 03:34 AM   #28
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

I always liked the theory that it was a combination of the words 'Relax and Royalty'. Not sure where I read that, but seems to make sense :)
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 03:38 AM   #29
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Gosh,

Thank you everyone for your comments.... either way its Rolex, forever Rolex.

Kind Regards "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:58 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Called Rolex because Orwell only wrote 1984 in 48... getting sick and tired of the CCTV/Watch company's antics.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote