The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2017, 06:40 AM   #31
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Okay, I'll play. Please articulate the universally-recognized criteria for what constitutes a "proper dress watch".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Thin, precious metal, two hands, and black strap.
Libertine, you're making your fellow Texans look bad...
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:43 AM   #32
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
I wear my SD4K with a suit nearly every day. I think a black dial is better than white with a suit though.
HoustonRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:48 AM   #33
JohnAcosta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII/Panda Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Not meaning to hijack the thread but.....We have several members here from across the pond who put us Americans to shame when it comes to etiquette. Question, what was up when the Queen was visiting the victims of the most recent attack???? The others visiting the victims didn't even stand up when she entered the room????!!!!
I think this would be better suited (no pun intended) for the Open Discussion Forum.
JohnAcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:49 AM   #34
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Haha WHOA some of you cats are pretty harsh on 'dress code' violations. At least your Tommy Bahama and panama hats aren't breaking any fashion rules.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 07:07 AM   #35
madonofrio
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaap master View Post
Many of my coworkers are wearing smart watches, fitbits, quartz watches, cheap watches, or no watches at all.
This. It's 2017, wear what you like and own the look.

A sports watch with a formal suit can just be a bit of flair.
Old 27 May 2017, 07:16 AM   #36
A.S.R
"TRF" Member

To each their own, do whatever makes you happy.

Personally though I think if the dial was black you could get away with it, the white dial makes it look a little too sporty.
A.S.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 07:22 AM   #37
jameslee
"TRF" Member

Will you be wearing oxfords or slip on shoes?
jameslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 07:39 AM   #38
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
Oh god, these threads are getting just as bad as the "can I shower with my rolex on?" threads...

Didn't mean to make another thread like that. I know this is more of a style question. The answers on these questions devolve into "wear what you want" or "nobody cares dude."

Both those answers are correct. My question isn't about appropriateness/watch etiquette, I was more just curious if people that have the 16570 end up liking how it looks with business clothes or if they keep it strictly to casual wear.

Sorry for not elevating the debate ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
puckbw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 07:55 AM   #39
osamu
"TRF" Member

for daily business suit wear, I would suspect it would be fine, and could be dressed up a little bit with a nice leather strap.

Black tie.... I wouldn't, but certainly feel like we live in an "anything goes" time. There was a time even wearing a watch might've been frowned upon.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:00 AM   #40
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I think it really depends on the type of suit you're wearing. For formal suits and tuxes, I think thin, black dialed watches look the best. For sport coats or less formal suits, anything goes.

My $.02, get the 214270. Best of both worlds.
captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:01 AM   #41
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes, of course it works. It's a Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Beshannon

If you genuinely need to ask, you should not be wearing a suit.

Regards

Mick

Hmmmm, spoken by a really classy suit-wearing gentleman.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:31 AM   #42
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Of course you can. Work isn't a formal black tie event. If I didn't wear my sports watches to work then I'd have no need to own any. I'd save plenty of money and stay home and judge people on watch forums for not following 1930's attire etiquette.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:34 AM   #43
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
It looks fine with a suit.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:51 AM   #44
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

I am a firm believer that the man makes the clothes and not the other way around.

A truly confident man in jeans and a t shirt will always command more presence than an insecure man in a bespoke Tom Ford suit.
JasonKrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:59 AM   #45
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Absolutely with a suit. For my ghost like skin a white shirt with a white dial has me thinking more about what shirt to wear to throw some contrast in but otherwise the polar is one of my office favorites.
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 08:59 AM   #46
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Wear whatever you want, honestly. My opinion is that 16570 Polar is actually exceptionally sporty.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:00 AM   #47
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

In my opinion any Rolex will go with a suit. Rolex has had many advertisements over the years featuring professional watches worn by men wearing suits.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:01 AM   #48
LadyDi
"TRF" Member

And now for a woman's perspective. As a professional female who interacts with Senior Executive men at a Fortune 100 US bank, I would say it is passable, without question. Certainly not dressy, but definitely professional enough. If I was sitting across the table from you in a meeting, I would say you are a man that is sure of himself and enjoys good taste in an elegant, yet "sporty" type of way. Nothing wrong with that!
LadyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:21 AM   #49
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Watches mean a lot to us. We spend a lot of money on them, worry about them and it's almost impossible for us to comprehend that 99.9% of the world simply doesn't care. If forced to think about it most would believe us the odd ones for being so absorbed with them.

Wear your watch any way, anywhere you please. The rare person that notices will be thrilled just to make a sighting. )
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 09:39 AM   #50
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Wear it with anything
Old 27 May 2017, 09:52 AM   #51
uncle_paul_hargis
"TRF" Member

I'd say whatever you are comfortable with. If you think it looks good then rock it dude! Who cares. People wear Apple Watches with suits all the time these days. Even the sportiest Rolex is still a Rolex! That's just my opinion.
uncle_paul_hargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:19 PM   #52
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Of course you can. Work isn't a formal black tie event. If I didn't wear my sports watches to work then I'd have no need to own any. I'd save plenty of money and stay home and judge people on watch forums for not following 1930's attire etiquette.
Totally agree. I don't think anyone will comment seeing a Rolex on wrist with suit that too at work. Any Rolex is fine with suit and the world is getting more casual by the day and its accepted to wear normal sports watch. I've seen even Omega planet oceans with suits and folks wear it proudly!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 01:46 PM   #53
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Honestly. I wouldn't wear it as a primary with a suit. A sub, ym i, gmt or daytona would be better imho. While they are all sports watches the explorer ii is a bit more rugged.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:20 PM   #54
run23
"TRF" Member

I love 'sports ' watches with a suit, and in my opinion they generally look more appropriate with a suit than a standard dress watch, most of which are pretty boring to me for every day wear. I save the dress watch for when I'm dressing up outside of work, or when the mood strikes me that day.

In any event, don't listen to the internet people who repeat the made up and silly 'rule' that you need to wear a simple, thin watch on a leather band with a suit, as it's not a rule at all. It's like those people who like to say that everyone is using a word wrong, when in reality if everyone is using it wrong, then that is the right to use the word and the grammar snob is actually wrong.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:32 PM   #55
Doood
"TRF" Member

I would have no problem wearing the polar with a suit for most occasions and am even considering purchasing one. I also don't think a sub ot gmt is really that much dressier, if at all...may just less noticeable.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:37 PM   #56
Jaycnyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Addict
Several thoughts on the subject
1. It fits under the cuff and looks great.
2. I used to wear my black dial with any apparel and it worked, even a tux once or twice.
3. Are you a fashion guy a watch guy or both? Fashion guys will say no watch guys will say yes guys who are into both will be more on the fence.
4. Last black tie I went to was YG Daytona, sub and GMT central, even a YM2yg and a skydweller YG. 3/4 of the room were wearing "sports" or "professional" models
5. Lastly and most importantly, Wear what you want!
Jaycnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:50 PM   #57
tmw84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
And now for a woman's perspective. As a professional female who interacts with Senior Executive men at a Fortune 100 US bank, I would say it is passable, without question. Certainly not dressy, but definitely professional enough. If I was sitting across the table from you in a meeting, I would say you are a man that is sure of himself and enjoys good taste in an elegant, yet "sporty" type of way. Nothing wrong with that!

There! If you wanted to create this impression in board meetings then you successfully have your answer
tmw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:51 PM   #58
tjbender
2024 Pledge Member

One of my favorite watches but not my first choice with a suit. Certainly you can pull it off and it's a great piece if it's your only one but I'd say a DJ is better suited for that sort of attire
tjbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 05:13 PM   #59
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
bravo
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 06:54 PM   #60
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

All this wear what you want advice needs qualifying.

You can wear any old watch with a suit, if say you are an office worker in a relatively relaxed environment.

I tended to obey a strict dress code because I was basically a front man for a large organisation and attended meetings in a conservative industry. I even had to attend the Palace on occasions where formality was high on the agenda. I hope you can see where I am coming from.

When someone comes in with the "can I wear it with a suit", bland across the board answers are just not suitable. I will confess to being too conservative but we do have a few here the other way round.

The lesson is simple, you cannot ask the question or give an answer without knowing the lifestyle of the OP.

Regards

Mick

PS Just to show how liberated I now am since retirement, I will be wearing a coke GMT11 16710 on a trip to Spain which a few years ago would have been a definite no-no.
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote