The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 July 2017, 07:07 AM   #1
HappyBirthday123
"TRF" Member

Looking for help with inherited Rolex Explorer 1016

I recently inherited my grandfather's Rolex, and am looking for advice to get it back in business. I'd love to be able to wear this watch regularly if possible, but I'm not sure just how much work will need to be done or where to do it.

I believe it's from the 70s, and from what my grandmother says, it may have been serviced very minimally despite being worn daily for 40 years. I read that Rolex may try to replace parts that could devalue the watch. I'm not looking to ever sell it, but I'd like to keep everything I can original if possible.

I made a post over on Reddit for advice and was told to definitely ask again here for some better info. They gave me a list of independent watchmakers to consider for servicing the watch. Do you have any opinions or other suggestions? I'm in NJ, if there's anything good local you recommend.

Rikki at Timecare Inc in Florida

Vanessa at Jewelers on Time in Southern California

The former independent Rolex Service Center in San Francisco (now supposedly called, "The Independent Service Center of San Francisco").

Bob Ridley in Texas

LA Watchworks in Southern California

ABC Watchwerks in Southern California

They also mentioned possibly replacing the crystal and keeping the original if possible. My grandmother said it may have already been replaced once at Rolex in NY, but was unsure when this happened. Also one person mentioned the bracelet is likely not the original since it is a Jubilee, and that it could possibly be wearing the s/n off the case. I don't have the tools to remove the bracelet at the moment to check, but would this be a concern?

I'm still new to watches in general (this is my first mechanical watch!), let alone a vintage Rolex, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2537-1.JPG (198.3 KB, 940 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2538-1.JPG (77.0 KB, 932 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2542-1.JPG (128.1 KB, 937 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2545-1.JPG (206.0 KB, 934 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2546-1.JPG (123.1 KB, 933 views)
HappyBirthday123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Hello, lovely heirloom watch from your grandfather. Take a read through the linked thread below and pick one of the qualified independent watchmakers to service your Explorer. They may need to replace the crystal for water resistance if you're planning to wear the watch daily, but they will be able to let you know either way. The bracelet in your photos is a vintage USA made oval link jubilee. I don't think they were ever standard on a 1016, but a lot of wacky stuff happened back in the day so you never know. Once a watchmaker gets it off they will be able to tell you the serial number and roughly date the watch. I'm thinking it will look great cleaned up a bit and serviced. You're right to want to keep it as original as possible, and I love that you're planning to wear it daily. Good luck and be sure to come back and post some after service pics so we can all drool over your vintage Explorer.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=182662
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 03:36 PM   #3
autofiend
"TRF" Member

Looking for help with inherited Rolex Explorer 1016

I'm jealous. Your Grandfather had good taste! I know first hand that LA Watchworks and ABC do great work. Bob Ridley does also but usually has quite a waiting list. I have not heard much on the others.

From your photos, personally I'd leave the case alone and maybe just have the crystal replaced and movement serviced/gaskets replaced. You can clean the grime off of it yourself with a little dishsoap and soft brush or sponge (just don't soak it since the seals are probably worn). Mothers All Metal Polish is good for the case also just to shine it up a bit (it's mild and if used lightly won't take any significant metal off). Also, the bracelet (unless the springbars are frozen) can come off with two toothpicks: just depress from the lug holes.

In any case, good luck and keep us posted!
autofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 04:12 PM   #4
U5512
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a great time piece!!! Service the movement, light polish on the crystal, and new spring bars and you have an awesome watch on your wrist!!! Do research to see who is qualified to service Rolex watches in your area and go from there. Don't let them polish the case, or relume the hour markers or hands, that's a BIG NO NO!!!
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Xeer
"TRF" Member

Lovely piece! Send that to a qualified watchmaker and spare no expense. The case seems a little corroded/damaged, might want to have that looked at sooner rather than later. Enjoy in good health my friend.
Xeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 03:50 AM   #6
HappyBirthday123
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone! I'm looking through the list now, great resource!

My fear with replacing the crystal is that I may not get the original domed one, since I was told the service replacement is more flat. It really seems to change the look of the piece. Hopefully I can either have it replaced with the same type, or get the current one fixed up a bit to remove the scratches.

Appreciate all the help!
Old 8 July 2017, 04:15 AM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Wow @ the watch. You're lucky to have inherited such a beautiful watch. I don't think it needs a new crystal, just a good polish with polywatch and it'll look fine again....I'd definitely keep the original dome crystal. Don't touch the case (no polishing) and just have the watch serviced @ a good CW21 independent....those you listed will all work fine (I would lean toward ABC or LAWW out of the choices in this particular case). It's going to look awesome......only option is if you want to source an oyster bracelet if the jubilee is too slinky-ish (from stretch) for you IMO.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 06:17 AM   #8
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
treasure it

Hello Fella,

lots of sound advice from everyone, so im just chipping in with my bit,

Just take your time... learn all you can about the watch try to het photos of your grandfather wearing the watch,

additional comments:

the crystal, due to its age its possible it would have been changed but this is nothing to worry about.

The bracelet, again due to its age they get swopped over and as it part of the watches history Id leave it.

I don't have the tools to remove the bracelet: don't touch it, leave this to the professionals

From my side id have it serviced, and consider a light sympathetic polish, theres lots of contacts / recommendations on the forum so you find your self in good company,

one last consideration, get an insurance quote, do not over look this.

be sure to show us once you have had the work carried out, all the very best "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 06:46 AM   #9
autofiend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBirthday123 View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm looking through the list now, great resource!

My fear with replacing the crystal is that I may not get the original domed one, since I was told the service replacement is more flat. It really seems to change the look of the piece. Hopefully I can either have it replaced with the same type, or get the current one fixed up a bit to remove the scratches.

Appreciate all the help!

I guess the crystal replacement depends on what you're looking for: replacement is the only to ensure sound water resistance. But of course the service crystals aren't the same as the originals. If it were me, I'd replace it and keep the original safe if it was going to be your daily wearer (I've done this myself).
autofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 01:56 AM   #10
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

You have an awesome watch there. Get it serviced, they will pressure test and let you know if you need a new crystal. Clean it up, NO POLISH. As for the bracelet, its really easy to remove (youtube) and you can see the serial # between the lugs which will let you know what the year of the watch is. As a guess, I think the bracelet is period correct...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 09:34 AM   #11
statsman
"TRF" Member

Philip Ridley at Watchmakers Intl did my 1016 and he did a great job. One of the great services he provided is a very patient dialogue about what I wanted, the pros and cons of my options ( we discussed band Options for a ridiculous period of time) and I learned a lot. In short- great work and great communication.

I inherited my 1016 from my dad and the neat thing is that they are actually valuable. It's worth it to "do it right", in that the watch's value supports such a decision.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2017, 06:54 AM   #12
HappyBirthday123
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses guys! Thinking I'll go with Rik Dietel on the service, talked to him on the phone the other day and he seemed pretty helpful. Getting ready to ship it out now!
Old 12 July 2017, 10:04 AM   #13
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBirthday123 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys! Thinking I'll go with Rik Dietel on the service, talked to him on the phone the other day and he seemed pretty helpful. Getting ready to ship it out now!
You won't be sorry with Rikki! He works on all my watches!! He has my 6694 as we speak! Good luck, and don't forget to post some pics when it's done!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 12:23 AM   #14
DerbyCopa
"TRF" Member

gran pieza
DerbyCopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 12:41 AM   #15
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
What a great heirloom!
Looking forward to when it's all cleaned up and back in action
Old 28 August 2017, 09:28 AM   #16
HappyBirthday123
"TRF" Member

Finally got my 1016 back from Rik this week! Looks great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170825_124605.jpg (153.1 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170825_161905.jpg (205.8 KB, 505 views)
Old 28 August 2017, 09:43 AM   #17
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Superb!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 09:51 AM   #18
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Beautiful, ready for another 50 years. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 10:25 AM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Wow. Well done on doing the research to not have the Rolex Service Center ruin it.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 11:26 AM   #20
chessebj
Banned

That looks fantastic!
chessebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 01:45 PM   #21
chows99
"TRF" Member

Omg! Looks amazing with a refresh!! You are such a fortunate guy. Take care of it ya!
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 01:47 PM   #22
drefrank

Looks terrific!
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 01:54 PM   #23
dimag333
"TRF" Member

holy crap!

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 02:51 PM   #24
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
NICE! Enjoy that meaningful piece.
Old 28 August 2017, 04:10 PM   #25
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Looks great!

What ended up needed doing?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 05:14 PM   #26
doramas
Banned

Fantastic!! Congrats
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 08:37 PM   #27
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Looks great !

Glad you didn't send it to an RSC and be ruined.

Old 28 August 2017, 09:03 PM   #28
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Looks Great! I'm curious what work You finally had done on it. Just cosmetic and movement, or full pressure test and gaskets as well?
Jeffwb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 10:01 PM   #29
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
The 1016 imho is the best looking Rolex, but then I am biased having owned mine for over 35 years, as I bought it new in 1981, and wore it everyday, everywhere, to do anything. They are a brilliant and will take what you throw at them, wear yours with pride, and make wonderful memories together. Here's mine:

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 10:10 PM   #30
theloxmyth
Banned

Astonishingly well done!

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote