The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 December 2019, 05:14 AM   #1
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Had it with Rolex

Hey guys havent posted in a while, just venting a bit

So ever since this whole supply restriction problem, my whole excitement and enthusiasm and love for the brand has died a slow death.
This has happened automatically, without me even forcing it. Its like my brain just killed all those rolex fetish neurons never to be enlivened again!
I have completely given in to the fact that this is rolex's new business model and that it will never change.
Hats off to them for implementing it though, they certainly have climbed the upper luxury watch echelon and are now the top brand, and with it the most sought after.
Now more people than ever before want one!
But at the same time wiped out the middle class from ever owning one (unless of course you are lucky to get one at and AD at MSRP after years of waiting) and I mean people that never owned one and are aspiring new rolex owners!
This is where my disappointment comes in.
That the entire class of loyal customers from years past that bought watches and helped build up the brand with their hard earned money are now pushed into the lower classes that nobody cares about.
Oh well, tough luck! stop crying and get over it! (Say the filthy rich that are not affected)
A brand that always advertised their products as "tough WORK watches that can withstand anything nature throws at it" now only are sitting on the wrists of rich people that will never ever climb a mountain, dive in the ocean, or even wear them to anything work related that exposes them to the forces of nature (which rolexes were designed for)
Now submariners and seadwellers are a "going for a night out" watch to impress fellow aristocrats.
GMT's and Skydwellers are not used by travelers and pilots (not the majority middle class anyways who represent the bulk of them)
Explorers maybe are still in the affordable category but are also getting expensive and elusive.
Yachtmasters? well they were always in a different class anyways and almost never used for what they were designed to do.
And for the middle class to get their hands on one? They have to pay double to triple the price.
Rolex still actively advertise their products, WHY? Why do that if you cant get one?!?
To all of you that disagree, I say this:
THE VERY FACT THAT ROLEX HAS GOTTEN TO WHERE IT IS NOW, IS BECAUSE THEY WERE ALWAYS ADVERTISED AS TOUGH, RELIABLE EVERYDAY WATCHES THAT YOU PAY MORE FOR, BUT LAST A LIFETIME, AND ARE VERY USEFUL.

NOW? THEY ARE JUST VERY EXPENSIVE JEWELRY

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH EXPENSIVE JEWELRY?
RARELY WEAR IT,
ONLY THE RICH CAN AFFORD IT

What do you guys think? (And please be respectful, I've heard all the snarky comments before LOL!)

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:18 AM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
What do you guys think? (And please be respectful, I've heard all the snarky comments before LOL!)
You’ll probably want a new TRF username
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:19 AM   #3
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Why not go for pre-owned five digit models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:20 AM   #4
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
I agree with you 100%. Not sure why they keep advertising pieces when they've become so hard to get. I used to check TRF hourly, but went on a hiatus because of the new distribution model
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:21 AM   #5
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Andy, buddy change your username from AbsoluteyROLEX to HaditwithROLEX.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:23 AM   #6
minhc88
"TRF" Member

Alot of inventory sitting in the hands of the Grey's and flippers. Not on enthusiast's wrist. Who knows how long this can last for. What goes up must come down.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:25 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I disagree; they are still tough, reliable, everyday watches that will still last a lifetime. I do agree with you that Rolex is more of a luxury brand now then in the past when it was considered mainly a tool watch.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:27 AM   #8
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Hey guys havent posted in a while, just venting a bit

So ever since this whole supply restriction problem, my whole excitement and enthusiasm and love for the brand has died a slow death.
This has happened automatically, without me even forcing it. Its like my brain just killed all those rolex fetish neurons never to be enlivened again!
I have completely given in to the fact that this is rolex's new business model and that it will never change.
Hats off to them for implementing it though, they certainly have climbed the upper luxury watch echelon and are now the top brand, and with it the most sought after.
Now more people than ever before want one!
But at the same time wiped out the middle class from ever owning one (unless of course you are lucky to get one at and AD at MSRP after years of waiting) and I mean people that never owned one and are aspiring new rolex owners!
This is where my disappointment comes in.
That the entire class of loyal customers from years past that bought watches and helped build up the brand with their hard earned money are now pushed into the lower classes that nobody cares about.
Oh well, tough luck! stop crying and get over it! (Say the filthy rich that are not affected)
A brand that always advertised their products as "tough WORK watches that can withstand anything nature throws at it" now only are sitting on the wrists of rich people that will never ever climb a mountain, dive in the ocean, or even wear them to anything work related that exposes them to the forces of nature (which rolexes were designed for)
Now submariners and seadwellers are a "going for a night out" watch to impress fellow aristocrats.
GMT's and Skydwellers are not used by travelers and pilots (not the majority middle class anyways who represent the bulk of them)
Explorers maybe are still in the affordable category but are also getting expensive and elusive.
Yachtmasters? well they were always in a different class anyways and almost never used for what they were designed to do.
And for the middle class to get their hands on one? They have to pay double to triple the price.
Rolex still actively advertise their products, WHY? Why do that if you cant get one?!?
To all of you that disagree, I say this:
THE VERY FACT THAT ROLEX HAS GOTTEN TO WHERE IT IS NOW, IS BECAUSE THEY WERE ALWAYS ADVERTISED AS TOUGH, RELIABLE EVERYDAY WATCHES THAT YOU PAY MORE FOR, BUT LAST A LIFETIME, AND ARE VERY USEFUL.

RARELY WEAR IT,

Better see the doc for a new med prescription, this one isn't working.

I'm not rich but use all of my expensive watches -- working on cars, hiking, safaris, diving, helping supply aid in Afghanistan, mountain climbing -- as they were intended. I doubt I'm alone.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:28 AM   #9
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:

RARELY WEAR IT,

They have been expensive jewellery for 20 years now, but you only posted this rant now. Why?

I'm not rich and I got a Hulk from my AD, no waiting, and my only prior purchase from them as an Explorer 2 a year prior. You can get the 'hot' models without being a high roller. And I'm not the only person to post a story like this.

I paid retail for my Hulk. So it isn't an "only rich mans" game (ie paying 2X retail).

I wear my Hulk most days, so it isn't jewellery that is never worn. Who says expensive jewellery never get worn? That's a you issue and not one that relates to everyone else.

I think your rant is built on sand.

If you don't like Rolex, that's fine. I can appreciate tastes changing, but your "change" is based on you being frustrated with you not being able to build the rapport with an AD to get the watch you want, not with Rolex itself or their watches.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:30 AM   #10
minhc88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
They have been expensive jewellery for 20 years now, but you only posted this rant now. Why?

I'm not rich and I got a Hulk from my AD, no waiting, and my only prior purchase from them as an Explorer 2 a year prior. You can get the 'hot' models without being a high roller. And I'm not the only person to post a story like this.

I paid retail for my Hulk. So it isn't an "only rich mans" game (ie paying 2X retail).

I wear my Hulk most days, so it isn't jewellery that is never worn. Who says expensive jewellery never get worn? That's a you issue and not one that relates to everyone else.

I think your rant is built on sand.

If you don't like Rolex, that's fine. I can appreciate tastes changing, but your "change" is based on you being frustrated with you not being able to build the rapport with an AD to get the watch you want, not with Rolex itself or their watches.
Agrees. Not Rolex fault they can't keep up with the demand for their quality pieces pieces built to with stand everyday wear

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:31 AM   #11
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Im fairly new to watch collecting and when I started buying watches the I knew the rules so it's not a surprise for me , I see it as this : if you want the watch and you don't want to play the AD/Rolex game , just go to the grey market. if you can afford the waiting game and have a relationship with an AD just be patient and hopefully you get your watch.
alonsowwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:34 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Take a brake and open up to other fine and just as significant horological brands.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:40 AM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Most Rolex models are readily available from an AD at MRSP for at most a short wait.

Sure, a few models are Unobtanium at the moment, though that will likely change.

I do though reject entirely the notion that Rolex watches are out of reach for the middle classes, even including watches being resold for a premium. A 40-a-day cigarette habit costs nearly £10k per annum here and fags are most certainly not the sole preserve of the rich: plenty of working class manage to fund a habit. Many others manage to spend a few hundred quid a month on going down pubs and clubs. Yet more people chuck thousands away on depreciation buying a new car every few years. None of these things are essential and the money spent could be redirected elsewhere if so desired.

Life is about choices. A Rolex is within reach of anybody who really wants one.
Old 6 December 2019, 05:42 AM   #14
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I think the marketing approach and ADs having nothing to sell ( or so we are to believe ) is BS. I like the brand and the quality you get... once you actually get it.

What really pisses me off at least in the North East is driving down the interstate and over a 30 mile stretch you see about 4 giant billboard from various ADs advertising Rolex (usually it’s a TT Sub) but they don’t even have them!

I’m not mad at the AD, or Rolex it’s just unfair to everyone involved.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:46 AM   #15
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Most Rolex models are readily available from an AD at MRSP for at most a short wait.

Sure, a few models are Unobtanium at the moment, though that will likely change.

I do though reject entirely the notion that Rolex watches are out of reach for the middle classes, even including watches being resold for a premium. A 40-a-day cigarette habit costs nearly £10k per annum here and fags are most certainly not the sole preserve of the rich: plenty of working class manage to fund a habit. Many others manage to spend a few hundred quid a month on going down pubs and clubs. Yet more people chuck thousands away on depreciation buying a new car every few years. None of these things are essential and the money spent could be redirected elsewhere if so desired.

Life is about choices. A Rolex is within reach of anybody who really wants one.
I don't know about anybody, but it is amazing how much money you can save and how quickly if you stop drinking/smoking/dining out/buying stuff you don't actually need.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:48 AM   #16
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
I don't know about anybody, but it is amazing how much money you can save and how quickly if you stop drinking/smoking/dining out/buying stuff you don't actually need.
Fair point I’m guilty of a bit of hyperbole there.
Old 6 December 2019, 05:51 AM   #17
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I thought that as soon as I read the name of the thread!

R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:51 AM   #18
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
This wont last forever. Once the HypeBeast culture moves on things will settle down.

The question will be is how many new customers does Rolex want to lose along the way. Remember this is a Rolex forum so it is drastically misleading. Your average Joe that saved his hard earned dollars for that Submariner is not going to spend double or wait 2 years for it to arrive. The vast majority are going to research other brands and move on.

Rolex bread and butter is the "achievement", "prestige" one watch purchase, not people like us on forums.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:52 AM   #19
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The point is well taken. Also there are a lot of other brands out there. On other forum sites their is great enthusiasm for other brands at much lower price point and available at the retailer.

Since exclusivity is the new luxury, that means more expensive, and you see fewer pieces in the wild. I would consider as some have mentioned to look at five digit variants, then trade up after a time. All Rolex pre owned will only get more expensive on the secondary market which helps all of us who are trading up.
Old 6 December 2019, 05:54 AM   #20
rspeabody
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

rspeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:54 AM   #21
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I came to say this and it was the first response.

You guys are too good
Old 6 December 2019, 05:56 AM   #22
Father and Son
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi,BLNR,Hulk,DJ
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is the first thing that struck me when I saw this post. The juxtaposition of the thread title and the username
• ROLEX Submariner 116610LV "Hulk"
• ROLEX GMT II 116710 BLNR "Batman"
• ROLEX Datejust II 116334 (WG fluted bezel/Blue dial)
Father and Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:00 AM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
This is what it feels like when your bartender forgets your name.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
They always were.

Move on as you are ranting over expensive jewelry
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:02 AM   #25
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This is what it feels like when your bartender forgets your name.
Pete, that's a very logical correlation.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:07 AM   #26
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:11 AM   #27
healer
"TRF" Member

Patience is the key.one of this days they will be begging us to buy there watch again. I remember not to long ago they even offered me 10-15 percent discount on a submariner. The funny part is I decline such offers. Lol—- now I even have to put a down payment just to buy the same watch and I’m still waiting.
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:12 AM   #28
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Sem View Post
I think the marketing approach and ADs having nothing to sell ( or so we are to believe ) is BS. I like the brand and the quality you get... once you actually get it.

What really pisses me off at least in the North East is driving down the interstate and over a 30 mile stretch you see about 4 giant billboard from various ADs advertising Rolex (usually it’s a TT Sub) but they don’t even have them!

I’m not mad at the AD, or Rolex it’s just unfair to everyone involved.

Down here in south Florida you see on billboards the same as you see in AD windows and cases. Lady DJs Yachtmasters and DDs.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:13 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I get your frustration but nothing has really changed, Rolex already had the strongest brand name of any watch company by miles, and for male luxuries I'd say only Ferrari is higher, it's just demand has exploded and they have not reacted, but that is conservative Rolex's ethos so I can't slam them for that either.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:14 AM   #30
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissaholics View Post
andy, buddy change your username from absoluteyrolex to haditwithrolex.
lolololololol!!!

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote