The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 July 2022, 01:24 PM   #9691
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Fed will definitely go at least .75 this month then there's no meeting until Sept. Given the shift in commodities, I "believe" we've seen peak inflation and this will be the highest reading we will see moving forward. The question is how much lower will it go? Going from 9.1% to 8.8% isn't much of a move but if we can get to low 7's by Sept when the Fed is scheduled to meet again, then perhaps we get the anticipated .5% raise. Any higher then we could go another .75%.

Diesel is still stubbornly high which affects virtually everything being produced/shipped/trucked to market.
Agreed on commodity prices, however, only 7% of CPI is energy related. If you look under the hood of inflation, cost of goods and services is SURGING, with no end in sight. Many of these costs are causing rent/housing to further rise and housing represents ~35% of CPI. Until we get housing and rent under control you will have persistently high CPI numbers, even as commodity prices like oil and copper have dramatically fallen. I think we can all agree CPI is not the best measure of inflation as it is backwards looking but this is currently driving investor sentiment.

When you look at forward breakevens for inflation, you can see the market expects inflation in 5 years to be at ~2.3%, thus long term you should see inflation unwind. Regardless, the yield curve is already inverted, the most since 2000 and as the FED raises again, this WILL cause the economy to move from slowing to stalling to recession. Thus demising long term growth prospects and causing a safe haven bid for a flight to safety causing intermediate to long yields to sharply decline. This is why looking at the yield curve, which is the best indicator of future markets, the 1yr forward curve prices meaningfully higher short term rates 1 year from now where intermediate to long yields are pricing lower than today in a year. This is a further inverted yield curve and if you know how to position along the curve should be easy money to be made in bonds.

Just my .02 but if recession progresses there will be significant money (leveraged strategies like CEFs) to be made in mid to long term bonds as they rally - I would explicitly avoid taxable credit given OAS spreads are not much higher than historical average and I anticipate defaults to increase enabling spreads to further widen.

This to me on CDS is much more concerning, even if the consumer is less levered than 08, CDS should not be rising at this pace.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 12:25 AM   #9692
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
^^^ always great indepth analysis and appreciated.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 02:28 AM   #9693
austinp
"TRF" Member

Anybody like CCL at these levels as a trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 05:28 AM   #9694
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Agreed on commodity prices, however, only 7% of CPI is energy related. If you look under the hood of inflation, cost of goods and services is SURGING, with no end in sight. Many of these costs are causing rent/housing to further rise and housing represents ~35% of CPI
I've been thinking a lot about your post Bryan and wanted to mention this and perhaps I'm overlooking something and always value your insight.

As you mentioned, energy relates to only 7% of the CPI but it affects 100% of the population as everyone uses some form of energy everyday. Also, energy has a direct correlation to the price of food, which 100 % of the population consumes.

Conversely, if housing is 35% of the CPI, it affects a significantly lower percentage of the population for the following reasons: Homeownership rates in the US is at 65.5% leaving 34.5% as renters. Of those 65.5% of homeowners, only 4.7% are on an adjustable rate mortgage (see graph below) leaving the majority of homeowners on a fixed rate mortgage which are constant in nominal terms or are completely paid off so they would not be affected by housing CPI. For new home buyers, we've seen home prices stabilize in the most desireable areas and falling 10-15% in several markets. Am I thinking about this correctly?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 12.08.39 PM.png (161.4 KB, 373 views)
Old 16 July 2022, 05:30 AM   #9695
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Am I thinking about this correctly?
No, you are leaving out the people who rent. Their rent typically increases when the cost of ownership (property purchase price, taxes, insurance and interest rates) go up.

And 65% seems awfully high.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 05:41 AM   #9696
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
No, you are leaving out the people who rent. Their rent typically increases when the cost of ownership (property purchase price, taxes, insurance and interest rates) go up.

And 65% seems awfully high.
I listed the renters in the post and looked up every stat quoted.

https://www.census.gov/housing/hvs/f...nthvspress.pdf

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2003/
Old 16 July 2022, 05:46 AM   #9697
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
I listed the renters in the post and looked up every stat quoted.
Oops.

Sorry.

mjb: master of reading comprehension

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 06:00 AM   #9698
JWillard
Banned

CPI should be called CPLIE
JWillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 06:48 AM   #9699
austinp
"TRF" Member

Been a nice few weeks. Hopefully everyone got in there and made some dough.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 02:07 AM   #9700
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

days like today are just becoming comical at this point. job data comes out and the nasdaq drops 150 points within minutes, opens at -200 just to go green within the first 30 mins and then back to -200

i guess this is the new normal, algos will forever be 10 steps ahead of everyone else and retail has barely any impact on stock prices and movement anymore which was the whole point of the market to begin with. i also just wonder what the actual benefit to premarket trading is besides screwing over retail investors
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 05:47 AM   #9701
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
days like today are just becoming comical at this point. job data comes out and the nasdaq drops 150 points within minutes, opens at -200 just to go green within the first 30 mins and then back to -200

i guess this is the new normal, algos will forever be 10 steps ahead of everyone else and retail has barely any impact on stock prices and movement anymore which was the whole point of the market to begin with. i also just wonder what the actual benefit to premarket trading is besides screwing over retail investors
tell that to HKD and MEGL

Kidding aside, I agree... volatility rules and its been tougher to see any trends forming. But I guess its good news for any day traders. Been staying pretty passive recently and just riding the roller coaster... anticipation on the way up and hands up screaming on the way down
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 07:39 AM   #9702
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Everyone is confident there will be no recession. Inverted yield curve… its different this time. I’m staying in cash until we at least retest the lows which we will. And hopefully more.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 08:56 AM   #9703
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Everyone is confident there will be no recession. Inverted yield curve… its different this time. I’m staying in cash until we at least retest the lows which we will. And hopefully more.
who is confident there will be no recession? it's only the media saying that, everyone else knows times are definitely bad and have been almost all year
Old 8 August 2022, 12:46 PM   #9704
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
who is confident there will be no recession? it's only the media saying that, everyone else knows times are definitely bad and have been almost all year
I consume a lot of varied news media, and I haven't heard anybody say we aren't going to have a recession. Where are you getting this?

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 11:10 PM   #9705
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I consume a lot of varied news media, and I haven't heard anybody say we aren't going to have a recession. Where are you getting this?

White House press briefings. Any time Doocy brings it up. Yellen has also said it.
Old 9 August 2022, 12:50 AM   #9706
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
White House press briefings. Any time Doocy brings it up. Yellen has also said it.

Don’t forget Kramer … seriously, market running on fumes it feels like. Retail investors now chasing everything again.

Old 9 August 2022, 01:04 AM   #9707
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I personally think we are going to test new bottoms.

However, and this is just my gut, which appears as good as most of the talking heads these days, I do not think it will be too far from what we have seen so far.

S&P at 3000, which has been predicted, I think, is unrealistic. But I do think we will see 3500 to 3600.

I, along with many of us, have had some nice gains recently. Still no regrets that I built up my cash reserves. I am right about where I started selling, so feel pretty good about how it has all turned out. Still waiting for my time to begin a slow re-entry.

In fact, I have debated selling off more. I will not, don't get me wrong. I am very comfortable with my current portfolio. And while I love seeing the markets going north, I think it is only a matter of time before the slide begins anew.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 01:07 AM   #9708
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Ahhh, politicians. I don't pay attention to them regarding economic status.

Quote:
Don’t forget Kramer … seriously, market running on fumes it feels like. Retail investors now chasing everything again.
LOL Kramer's a sad permabull. I can't believe he's still on the air somewhere.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 9 August 2022, 01:07 AM   #9709
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

btw, I lost my butt on GRWG. was actually pretty good to get the tax benefits from the big loss.

but at circa 4.80 I bought back in for a fair amount. just in my personal play account, not my FA managed stuff. And I am up pretty good right now.

It was once $60. I genuinely believe it will someday be $160. Not today, not tomorrow...but someday. Cannabis is not going anywhere. And these guys are selling the shovels...

Old 9 August 2022, 01:54 AM   #9710
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I personally think we are going to test new bottoms.

However, and this is just my gut, which appears as good as most of the talking heads these days, I do not think it will be too far from what we have seen so far.

S&P at 3000, which has been predicted, I think, is unrealistic. But I do think we will see 3500 to 3600.

I, along with many of us, have had some nice gains recently. Still no regrets that I built up my cash reserves. I am right about where I started selling, so feel pretty good about how it has all turned out. Still waiting for my time to begin a slow re-entry.

In fact, I have debated selling off more. I will not, don't get me wrong. I am very comfortable with my current portfolio. And while I love seeing the markets going north, I think it is only a matter of time before the slide begins anew.

I think we see sub 3000 before it’s all done.
Old 9 August 2022, 03:09 AM   #9711
Doc Savage

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
btw, I lost my butt on GRWG. was actually pretty good to get the tax benefits from the big loss.

but at circa 4.80 I bought back in for a fair amount. just in my personal play account, not my FA managed stuff. And I am up pretty good right now.

It was once $60. I genuinely believe it will someday be $160. Not today, not tomorrow...but someday. Cannabis is not going anywhere. And these guys are selling the shovels...
It's up 10% today so far. I think it's a good long term call right now.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 9 August 2022, 03:10 AM   #9712
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That would be crazy. And a%% puckering.

But I admit I almost hope that happens. If I’m buying at those levels, when it all comes back I’ll be in a good spot.

For the greater good, I hope it doesn’t happen.

Old 9 August 2022, 03:11 AM   #9713
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, so there are a few that think we go sub 3000. Dang. That’s scary. Big picture, that’s scary.

Any others in this camp?

Old 9 August 2022, 03:19 AM   #9714
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would be crazy. And a%% puckering.

But I admit I almost hope that happens. If I’m buying at those levels, when it all comes back I’ll be in a good spot.

For the greater good, I hope it doesn’t happen.

That’s usually what it takes to flush everyone out. The market usually overcorrects in one direction or another.
Old 9 August 2022, 07:47 AM   #9715
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Wow, so there are a few that think we go sub 3000. Dang. That’s scary. Big picture, that’s scary.

Any others in this camp?
I'm not an investment pro, but no, I don't see us heading to 3000 or even below 3500. All of the guidance I am seeing from Fidelity says more ups and downs, but not any doom and gloom notes.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 10:27 AM   #9716
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
what would be the catalyst for sub 3000? big tech still crushing earnings and they have too much weight in the s&p
Old 10 August 2022, 09:55 AM   #9717
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Semiconductor stocks getting crushed lately. They are very cyclical. Heaven or hell.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 10:51 PM   #9718
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
what would be the catalyst for sub 3000? big tech still crushing earnings and they have too much weight in the s&p
A 'fat finger'.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 01:29 AM   #9719
Doc Savage

Quote:
The US economy is based on consumption. Inflation is impacting that hard. This will continue to be reflected in corporate earnings as they slash their estimates and lay off employees (as Walmart just did). Analysts will downgrade their stocks, further worsening the selloff, and this bear market will continue downward.

If you are a long term investor, don't be fooled by dead cat bounces!

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 11 August 2022, 03:38 AM   #9720
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
The US economy is based on consumption. Inflation is impacting that hard. This will continue to be reflected in corporate earnings as they slash their estimates and lay off employees (as Walmart just did). Analysts will downgrade their stocks, further worsening the selloff, and this bear market will continue downward.

If you are a long term investor, don't be fooled by dead cat bounces!
yeah but inflation is a very lagging indicator in terms of company profits. we will see big tech have reduced earnings due to full effects of inflation for q3/4 but at the same time inflation should be much reduced when those earnings reports come out since they're 3 months behind. this is assuming it continues coming down though