The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 January 2020, 02:17 AM   #91
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP---
AD's don't like to sell to flippers......pure speculation.
Rolex does not like flippers.............pure speculation.
Rolex does not like the gray market.........pure speculation.
You can trust everything your sales associate says at your AD...........If you believe this, I have a bridge to sell you.

This is a forum of "opinions", not altogether facts on many issues. You can believe what you want.
Do you really believe everything you just typed when we are in a time where small AD’s are losing their Rolex dealership left and right???? Even a large Mayors lost their dealership last year here in Florida so even big clients of Rolex are under the microscope. Every AD I have spoken to has the same concerns. AD’s that don’t know each other. So if all this is not true then it’s probably the best conspiracy, true conspiracy, I have ever seen in my life.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:21 AM   #92
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Ok so in addition to:
  • AD want to prioritize their VIP clients because they want them to spend even more money with them. (this one makes logical/economical sense to me)

Now we have a second argument:
  • AD don't want to sell to flippers, because Rolex doesn't like that. They run the risk of losing their license. (e.g. if Rolex finds out that an AD has been offloading stock to a gray dealer)

Anybody has any reference for that? (Still not sure what would be the logical reasoning (i.e. economical reasoning) behind that. Since Rolex business is to sell to ADs, and ADs job is to buy from Rolex (to maintain license) and then sell to people/gray-resellers).
Other than anecdotal information probably not. You'll likely never get an AD to tell you honestly why they lost their AD status, and you'll certainly never get Rolex to tell you why they took it away.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #93
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Do you really believe everything you just typed when we are in a time where small AD’s are losing their Rolex dealership left and right???? Even a large Mayors lost their dealership last year here in Florida so even big clients of Rolex are under the microscope. Every AD I have spoken to has the same concerns. AD’s that don’t know each other. So if all this is not true then it’s probably the best conspiracy, true conspiracy, I have ever seen in my life.
Yes, I do.
Why did Mayor lose their franchise? You will never know. And if you think they lost it because they sold to flippers, that is pure speculation. If you can show me a Rolex statement about this, I will believe it, otherwise it is pure forum hype. Sometimes there is so much BS going around on this forum, we start believing it ourself.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:28 AM   #94
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Here is what works (for me, at least, even though I can have a long "wait time") for getting watches from my AD:

FIRST you have to have one of the GOOD AD's on YOUR side. One who cares about to whom they are selling, for the right reasons.

I go in two to five time a year, ALWAYS wearing what they last sold me, as they DO remember me. So do they evaluate me as a flipper? No.

I am not a rich whale; the know this. I do a lot of looking, but they know that "eventually" they will sell me another Rolex.

They love to talk watches, and that makes them remember the 'true collector' even more, I believe.

Due to my interaction as stated above, they have 'surprised' me on one occasion (so far) with a "gem from the safe."

It is simple. It all boils down to basic common sense.

PROVE to your AD you are a true collector. Let them see your last purchase but do not actually bring it up; they WILL notice what you are wearing. It is in their training and natural instinct to check.

Be careful what you say. Asking for all the hot models or announcing loudly that you are not a flipper will certainly gain you nothing but a bad reputation as an undesirable customer.

Simple little niceties and maturity in your conduct and demeanor can go a long way with your AD. Professionalism begets professionalism.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:32 AM   #95
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, I do.
Why did Mayor lose their franchise? You will never know. And if you think they lost it because they sold to flippers, that is pure speculation. If you can show me a Rolex statement about this, I will believe it, otherwise it is pure forum hype. Sometimes there is so much BS going around on this forum, we start believing it ourself.
I wish I could type slower for you. I am close with 8 AD’s. Some of them are personal friends of mine. Most of them don’t know each other. All of them say the exact same thing. They all say the word came from Rolex themselves to not sell to flippers. Why do you think they are taking the stickers off now? Just for fun? Is that speculation? Most AD’s are even scared to ship the watch for you and won’t do it. That came from Rolex also. Is that speculation? Why don’t you try calling an AD in a different state and ask them to ship you a watch. Get back to us on that. I have AD friends (only 3) that won’t even take payment over the phone, hold the watch and allow me to pick it up weeks later. They will only take payment in person. Is that speculation? Good grief.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 January 2020, 02:33 AM   #96
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
You'll likely never get an AD to tell you honestly why they lost their AD status, and you'll certainly never get Rolex to tell you why they took it away.
Exactly this.

Could be ANY reason. Unable to move product, bad location, perhaps they cannot afford the Rolex store "upgrades" they push on dealers, maybe some store owners want to retire, . . . who knows.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:38 AM   #97
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wish I could type slower for you. I am close with 8 AD’s. Some of them are personal friends of mine. Most of them don’t know each other. All of them say the exact same thing. They all say the word came from Rolex themselves to not sell to flippers. Why do you think they are taking the stickers off now? Just for fun? Is that speculation? Most AD’s are even scared to ship the watch for you and won’t do it. That came from Rolex also. Is that speculation? Why don’t you try calling an AD in a different state and ask them to ship you a watch. Get back to us on that. I have AD friends (only 3) that won’t even take payment over the phone, hold the watch and allow me to pick it up weeks later. They will only take payment in person. Is that speculation? Good grief.
Total Nonsense. I have purchased all my Rolex watches on TRF from forum members, with one exception. That was from an out of state AD, who saw my WTB post on this forum. Without mentioning where I live and who the AD is, let me say that the distance is over 2,000 miles away. I wired the money to the AD, next time I will be able to use a CC. I am sure there are many AD’s who still ship, contrary to what other forum members says. Do all AD’s ship, of course not.
Old 7 January 2020, 02:41 AM   #98
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Total Nonsense. I have purchased all my Rolex watches on TRF from forum members, with one exception. That was from an out of state AD, who saw my WTB post on this forum. Without mentioning where I live and who the AD is, let me say that the distance is over 2,000 miles away. I wired the money to the AD, next time I will be able to use a CC. I am sure there are many AD’s who still ship, contrary to what other forum members says. Do all AD’s ship, of course not.
Well I’m back on the road this week. I always stop by the AD’s. I’ll tell them all they’re full of crap and Bill says so.

Then of course I’ll demand they change their policy because Bill on TRF says it’s nonsense. I’ll get back to you Friday. I’ll be able to see four of them this week.

Edit- I might even video one of encounters just for fun. :-)

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #99
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Icon14 Agree

[QUOTE=214270Explorer;10267339]Exactly this.

Could be ANY reason. Unable to move product, bad location, perhaps they cannot afford the Rolex store "upgrades" they push on dealers, maybe some store owners want to retire, . . . who knows.

Agree
Old 7 January 2020, 02:44 AM   #100
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
OP---
AD's don't like to sell to flippers......pure speculation.
Rolex does not like flippers.............pure speculation.
Rolex does not like the gray market.........pure speculation.
You can trust everything your sales associate says at your AD...........If you believe this, I have a bridge to sell you.

This is a forum of "opinions", not altogether facts on many issues. You can believe what you want.
You're probably right.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:44 AM   #101
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well I’m back on the road this week. I always stop by the AD’s. I’ll tell them all they’re full of crap and Bill says so.

Then of course I’ll demand they change their policy because Bill on TRF says it’s nonsense. I’ll get back to you Friday. I’ll be able to see four of them this week.

Edit- I might even video one of encounters just for fun. :-)
I think you have missed my point. You have made “blanket” statements that you think all AD’s follow. My point is that different AD’s have their own ways of doing business. I am sorry you do not like to hear it. Have a safe road trip.
Old 7 January 2020, 02:48 AM   #102
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Here is what works (for me, at least, even though I can have a long "wait time") for getting watches from my AD:

FIRST you have to have one of the GOOD AD's on YOUR side. One who cares about to whom they are selling, for the right reasons.

I go in two to five time a year, ALWAYS wearing what they last sold me, as they DO remember me. So do they evaluate me as a flipper? No.

I am not a rich whale; the know this. I do a lot of looking, but they know that "eventually" they will sell me another Rolex.

They love to talk watches, and that makes them remember the 'true collector' even more, I believe.

Due to my interaction as stated above, they have 'surprised' me on one occasion (so far) with a "gem from the safe."

It is simple. It all boils down to basic common sense.

PROVE to your AD you are a true collector. Let them see your last purchase but do not actually bring it up; they WILL notice what you are wearing. It is in their training and natural instinct to check.

Be careful what you say. Asking for all the hot models or announcing loudly that you are not a flipper will certainly gain you nothing but a bad reputation as an undesirable customer.

Simple little niceties and maturity in your conduct and demeanor can go a long way with your AD. Professionalism begets professionalism.

I fully understand what you say and I’d love things to be that way too, I also trust that you have a fantastic relationship with your AD. But I see neither a 116500, nor a pepsi, nor a blue steel SkD in your footer... so I’m wondering how exactly this relationship you’ve built by being an upright honest and very respectful customer may have put you ahead of that friendly Gentleman from Asia that took your AD out for a nice dinner, bought out his stock of Datejusts at retail and is getting all the allocation pieces since?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:50 AM   #103
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I fully understand what you say and I’d love things to be that way too, I also trust that you have a fantastic relationship with your AD. But I see neither a 116500, nor a pepsi, nor a blue steel SkD in your footer... so I’m wondering how exactly this relationship you’ve built by being an upright honest and very respectful customer may have put you ahead of that friendly Gentleman from Asia that took your AD out for a nice dinner, bought out his stock of Datejusts at retail and is getting all the allocation pieces since?
Too funny.
Old 7 January 2020, 02:51 AM   #104
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think you have missed my point. You have made “blanket” statements that you think all AD’s follow. My point is that different AD’s have their own ways of doing business. I am sorry you do not like to hear it. Have a safe road trip.
I can’t speak for Europe or Asia or even for the West Coast of the United States or even the Northeast. But I have visited just about every AD in the Southeast and they all say the exact same thing. Almost like they are parroting some guidelines. You choose to not believe them all and that’s your right.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 January 2020, 02:56 AM   #105
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
I can’t speak for Europe or Asia or even for the West Coast of the United States or even the Northeast. But I have visited just about every AD in the Southeast and they all say the exact same thing. Almost like they are parroting some guidelines. You choose to not believe them all and that’s your right.
It might not surprise either of you that ADs received a memo on how to respond to patrons asking about allocation pieces. Brett's results in what he's heard is expected.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:56 AM   #106
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think anyone disputes that everything has always been better in the American south... well with one or two historical exceptions perhaps, or three, or four...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 7 January 2020, 03:00 AM   #107
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
It might not surprise either of you that ADs received a memo on how to respond to patrons asking about allocation pieces. Brett's results in what he's heard is expected.
True but it’s all utter nonsense.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 January 2020, 03:00 AM   #108
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post

PROVE to your AD you are a true collector.
Not sure if you're joking.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 03:01 AM   #109
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t think anyone disputes that everything has always been better in the American south... well with one or two historical exceptions perhaps, or three, or four...
Having traveled the entire United States and lived in many places I would have to agree that most things are better in the American southeast.

Instagram - patton250
Old 7 January 2020, 03:03 AM   #110
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I’m from Missouri.......The Show Me State.
Old 7 January 2020, 03:03 AM   #111
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
True but it’s all utter nonsense.
No arguments there. The memo was geared toward new patrons, not established customers. I bet RUSA is tired of taking calls from people whining that the AD they just visited won't sell them X model.

Quote:
I’m from Missouri.......The Show Me State.
Visit your local AD and ask to see it.
Old 7 January 2020, 03:06 AM   #112
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
No arguments there. The memo was geared toward new patrons, not established customers. I bet RUSA is tired of taking calls from people whining that the AD they just visited won't sell them X model.

Visit your local AD and ask to see it.
I have, they ship out of state, no sales tax
Old 7 January 2020, 03:08 AM   #113
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have, they ship out of state, no sales tax
Then I'm not clear on what you were responding to above. I thought you were talking about the memo I was describing.
Old 7 January 2020, 03:20 AM   #114
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Ok so in addition to:
  • AD want to prioritize their VIP clients because they want them to spend even more money with them. (this one makes logical/economical sense to me)

Now we have a second argument:
  • AD don't want to sell to flippers, because Rolex doesn't like that. They run the risk of losing their license. (e.g. if Rolex finds out that an AD has been offloading stock to a gray dealer)

Anybody has any reference for that? (Still not sure what would be the logical reasoning (i.e. economical reasoning) behind that. Since Rolex business is to sell to ADs, and ADs job is to buy from Rolex (to maintain license) and then sell to people/gray-resellers).
My AD told me straight out, that Rolex discourages the sale of any of their watches to flippers...and they won't do it. Simple. They don't do it. They vet their Rolex buyers carefully. The SS models are so coveted and rare now, it's pretty easy to do.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 03:34 AM   #115
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
My AD told me straight out, that Rolex discourages the sale of any of their watches to flippers...and they won't do it. Simple. They don't do it. They vet their Rolex buyers carefully. The SS models are so coveted and rare now, it's pretty easy to do.

Ben
Ok, but what happens if I get into financial hardship two months into collecting a Daytona? Or if I realize its too small at its puny 38.5mm? How do you vet that?

Old 7 January 2020, 03:38 AM   #116
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok, but what happens if I get into financial hardship two months into collecting a Daytona? Or if I realize its too small at its puny 38.5mm? How do you vet that?
I think those are legitimate reasons for selling your watch and you also indicated a two-month duration between acquisition and sale. I think that means you are probably not a flipper...

Ben
Old 7 January 2020, 04:13 AM   #117
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I think those are legitimate reasons for selling your watch and you also indicated a two-month duration between acquisition and sale. I think that means you are probably not a flipper...

Ben
My point is anyone could claim that without any good way of disproving it, two months later, business is up again and please please mr AD, I need a BLRO to replace that Daytona I’ve had to sell over my oh so broken heart... and so on. You could go for a while without being found out.

Old 7 January 2020, 04:28 AM   #118
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My point is anyone could claim that without any good way of disproving it, two months later, business is up again and please please mr AD, I need a BLRO to replace that Daytona I’ve had to sell over my oh so broken heart... and so on. You could go for a while without being found out.
True, you might be able to bamboozle them at first...get a couple of watches to flip over the course of six months or so...but what happens when you are found out? Proven to be a liar and a cheat, someone who will not live up to his word?

In my life, those consequences seem to have been the most vivid and learning.

You are either a man of your word, or you are not. We all make that choice.

Ben
Old 7 January 2020, 04:29 AM   #119
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Try telling an AD that you need a BLRO to replace the Daytona you just sold. I don't see many ADs feeling sorry for you.
Old 7 January 2020, 04:31 AM   #120
Pesto628
"TRF" Member

I think what it comes down to is that AD's are interested in developing and maintaining business and it depends on what you define as a "flipper" in this case. If it was a longtime customer or grey dealer who has bought many pieces and will most likely buy more in the future, then it probably is not an issue.

I think when people are saying that "ADs don't want to sell to flippers" it is really referring to vetting customers to see if allocating them one of these more sought after pieces can help in developing a longer term relationship. What would be the benefit to an AD if they sell a sought after model to someone they know is only interested in making a quick buck and will very likely not buy anything else besides another sought after piece to make a quick buck on?
Pesto628 is offline   Reply With Quote