The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 June 2021, 02:22 AM   #31
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
As an old geezer born in 1970 going Sea Dweller is a bit more challenging. BUT I was able to get a nice 2006 model which is my son’s birth year.
16600 strikes the perfect balance of Rolex features for me.
I have a 16600 and a 116600…I may have to broaden my search to the 16800 which seems to be a bit easier to find than the 16660.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 02:31 AM   #32
DadLife
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was a "triple birth year" watch; a Datejust (released the year my father was born, manufactured the year I was born, and we purchased it the year my son was born). We had it engraved with my son's initials and the year he was born; when he has a child, we'll engrave it with his child's initials and that year, then give it to my son. It's a nice idea, and it's a nice watch.
DadLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 04:10 AM   #33
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It was a beauty indeed Kevin

I had it about 2 years and eventually I moved it on to a vintage dealer here.

I got what I paid for it so I was happy. Now they sell for about twice that amount

We tend to romanticize about the idea of the past. The nostalgic, reminiscent of our childhood, etc. But often...it may not turn out such what we hoped for.

I tend to stay with the more modern issues versus buying/looking for my birth year watch. Although, the thoughts have occurred many a times. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 June 2021, 04:12 AM   #34
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
As an old geezer born in 1970 going Sea Dweller is a bit more challenging. BUT I was able to get a nice 2006 model which is my son’s birth year.
16600 strikes the perfect balance of Rolex features for me.

Funny, I’ve done something similar in my case.

Old 27 June 2021, 08:42 AM   #35
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
You know we're all wanting a photo of it. Come on...
I wish I could. I'm afraid I never learned how to post pictures!!! If I ever did learn, I'm afraid some of you guys would faint!!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 08:43 AM   #36
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVo8 View Post
We tend to romanticize about the idea of the past. The nostalgic, reminiscent of our childhood, etc. But often...it may not turn out such what we hoped for.

I tend to stay with the more modern issues versus buying/looking for my birth year watch. Although, the thoughts have occurred many a times. Cheers

C'mon Man!!! Your birth year watch would be a sundial!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 09:44 PM   #37
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
My 16014 DJ is my birthyear (1984) according to different date charts utilizing the serial number as a reference point. Personally, I liked the idea of having something that has roughly been ticking (haha) for as long as I have been. With that being said, I tend to mentally romaticize ideas such as these. For example, my grandfather was a machinist and when he passed I made sure to hang on to his hand tools because I liked the idea of using the same tools he did. But to each their own. Cheers!!
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 10:48 PM   #38
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I own one by chance (Omega) but it's not something I care about.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 03:24 AM   #39
cts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts View Post
Question for all of you who have a vintage Rolex (1970 and earlier)...

While winding, is the sound louder with these older timepieces vs newer ones (2000-current)? Thanks gentlemen!!!
Anyone notice a difference?
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 12:36 PM   #40
highcotton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Red Sub
I like the idea of a birth year watch for whatever reason. Have a 1972 1680 and 1972 5513. I was born in January so when I saw the casebacks were stamped first quarter 72. I had to have them. Don’t really know why but I like the idea of the watch being the same age as me.
highcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 12:41 PM   #41
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Seven View Post
Myself included.
It’s not “nerd,” it’s WIS!

I was at a dinner party last night trying to explain why I’m “into” Rolex watches without coming across as a total diva. I was wearing my MIL’s 6917 from 1979…full-on 1970s all-YG richness, with its 26mm champagne tapestry dial, acrylic crystal, fluted bezel, and ladies’ President bracelet.

It’s too small and pretty much unreadable, but it exudes class. My FIL gave it to my MIL, and she wore the heck out of it, playing tennis, swimming, etc, It’s literally been around the world, and, at over 40, looks great.

It is my “special occasion” watch (I wear SS every day) that comes out of the safe probably less than 5 times a year. It doesn’t have a quickset date, which is a PIA, but on the bright side I just set it to the nearest “open 9” date, so if I meet another WIS we can enjoy that.

To directly answer OP’s question, I would enjoy a birth year Rolex, but they are pretty old (as far as watches go) and harder to find, so it would have to be a special occasion watch.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 05:16 PM   #42
cts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I like the idea of a birth year watch for whatever reason. Have a 1972 1680 and 1972 5513. I was born in January so when I saw the casebacks were stamped first quarter 72. I had to have them. Don’t really know why but I like the idea of the watch being the same age as me.
Happy belated my friend.I was born in June and also have a nice 72’ 1680 red in celebration. Cheers!!!
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 01:08 AM   #43
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

Founds it!

well after searching for close to a year and a half ive finally found a birth year 5513 WGS with a creamy lume and perfect gloss dial!
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 05:17 AM   #44
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I remember years ago (maybe 10 years ago?) looking around a bit for a birth year watch, which is 1970 for me. I focused on the 1680 Red Submariner and found it to be a little to expensive at that time. LOL, now it has like tripled or quadrupled in value...so I've been through a couple of 1680s that aren't aligned with my actual year of birth, but are from the '70s and that's about close enough for me.

Other than this forum and a couple of very rare times I've met people on airplanes or something like that, I find that there are not many that know, appreciate, and/or even understand vintage watches. So if I do get an occasional question about my 1680, I'll tell people it's a vintage watch from the '70s when the watch market was a little bit different and I like the feeling of a vintage watch on my wrist.

I do have a few modern references and would like to add to this collection, though have been slower with acquisitions simply due to the current market situation.

Years ago, through a bit of luck, I did actually manage to get my wife a birth year watch (1968 Datejust 1601), although she only wears it on special occasions.
Eric88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2021, 06:48 AM   #45
kwr
"TRF" Member

Ive been looking for a 1986 1016 for a while now!
kwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth year