The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 June 2019, 05:24 AM   #1
Oliver Mendl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II: 16570
Icon5 Bloomberg article: These Dive Watches Can Go Deep In the Ocean -And Help Save It, Too

Hi,

you can find the article here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-dive-watches - It's from the "Pursuits" section.

First paragraph:

Quote:
Wristwatches have been worn for diving, sailing, and other maritime activities, at least since the first waterproof watch case, the Rolex Oyster, made its debut in 1926. In more recent times, some of the most renowned purveyors of nautical-inspired timepieces have partnered with environmental charities focused on water-related causes to produce special editions, often with proceeds benefiting said charities. This year, watch brands have taken the eco-trend to the next level, incorporating sustainable materials into several of these timepieces, as well as devoting funds from their sales.
Watches shown:

- Breitling Superocean Heritage Limited Edition
- Oris Ocean Trilogy
- Carl F. Bucherer Patravi Scubatec Black Manta Special Edition
- Panerai Submersible Mike Horn Edition

I find it quite interesting, although it's obviously 100% coincidental, that the same day I wrote this on a completely different thread, the above mentioned article gets published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Mendl View Post
(...)

But what about the future?

When I look into the future I see generations coming that will not care about expensive/luxury materialistic objects. Look at those bunny hopping kids following Greta Thunberg, for example - are they future Rolex customers, will they care about a mechanical watch, costing thousands of dollars? And if, what kind of questions are they going to ask at the AD? Probably one of them: If the diamonds in/on their new Rolex are 100% conflict free and responsibly sourced - which then (sooner or later) leads to the question of lab grown diamonds for Rolex.

And my guess is if, they will also identify significantly more with the foundations work than with Rolex sports sponsorships - after looking at the brand in depth.

(...)

Kind regards,
Oliver
So while I'm personally not agreeing with the overall classification as "haute horology" - I think the different approaches and depth of commitment are quite interesting:

(The following concerns/pertains the afore mentioned watches, only.)

Breitling: brand-sponsored beach cleanup initiative, NATO-style strap woven from ECONYL yarn, a material produced from recycled ocean waste such as discarded nylon fishing nets.

Oris: Portions of the sales for each (watch) will go to a different ocean-conservation charity.

Carl F. Bucherer: joined forces with the Manta Trust, a U.K.-based charity dedicated to preserving the ocean habitats of manta rays, the black textile strap, which is woven from a special material composed mostly of recycled PET plastic, proceeds from sales of the Black Manta watch will help fund a research project.

Panerai: strap constructed from recycled PET material, case made from Panerai’s EcoTitanium. Composed entirely of recycled titanium, comes from the Panerai manufacture in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, a facility operating to strict environmental standards and whose production, says Panerai, is designed to emit net zero carbon emissions.

What do you think:

- is this going to be how watches will be chosen in future?
- will watch manufacturers have to compete over this?
- will watch manufacturers openly advertise the depth of their commitment to sustainability, charity and well being of mother earth?
- will this evolve from "just" "limited editions" to all catalog models?
- is it a publicity stunt to fit with the current zeitgeist?

Curious to hear any and all of your opinions on this.

Kind regards,
Oliver