The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2018, 01:55 AM   #31
R!$
Banned

its a luxurious Sub that is sporty yet goes with any outfit
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 02:07 AM   #32
N421JJ
"TRF" Member

I have had my YM since around 1999, I had a gold sub with a blue face that I sold when I got this one. I ended up with two, it's a long story best shared over a few drinks, but anyway. I really like the YM, I am amazed at the pricing on new ones compared to what my old one is worth, but I still get comments on it, never scratched the bezel and it's an every day watch. Except fishing.
N421JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 10:06 PM   #33
Dr.B.
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I am planning to buy my first Rolex and I need some advice before I proceed.

Since I first saw and tried it, I always wanted to buy a Yacht Master (16622) with a platinum dial. The preowned ones I come across are from the years 2002 to 2006. I live in Singapore and I come across with this particular model quite frequently.

However, as I continued reading about Rolex watches, I learned that the new models are much better in precise time keeping, within +1 sec/day. Then, my intentions moved toward a brand new Air-King, which I liked very much when I tried. But I still have the Yacht Master (16622) in mind.

If I buy a pre-owned 16622 and have it serviced at the Rolex Service Center, would it keep time as precise as the newer models?

My plan is to buy a single Rolex and wear it as long as I can. For such a purpose, would you recommend a preowned Yacht Master, or a brand new Rolex instead?

Thanks!
Dr.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 10:45 PM   #34
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I love mine. It was the second Rolex I bought and recently upgraded the bracelet to the newer style. These days, many are buying Rolex to say "look at me, look at my Rolex" and the YM just isn't as widely recognized as the sub.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 11:55 PM   #35
Mat K
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Subc, Polar
Really like the ym! I've never seen one out and about seen loads of everything else, surely in years to come the price will go up 2nd hand as they are rare??
Mat K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 02:53 AM   #36
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat K View Post
Really like the ym! I've never seen one out and about seen loads of everything else, surely in years to come the price will go up 2nd hand as they are rare??
Buy a watch you really love without considering the investment part. Doubt they will go up, not much sought after
Old 26 October 2018, 05:15 AM   #37
GADGET-MAN
2024 Pledge Member

Bought 2 YM watches recently. They are both discontinued now. Since I purchased full sets and at the best price possible I hope not to lose money on the investment. The YM has a great feel on the wrist.

I bought a complete set GMT II 16710 Pepsi with SEL back about 8 years ago. Looking at price in the Rolex sale area, I have nearly tripled my investment and enjoyed wearing occasionally.

I would recommend a YM in 40mm, as an investment probably not as good as a GMT, Daytona or Sub as an investment, but much better than a Datejust 116200 which continues downward in price.

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1302.jpeg (231.4 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.JPG (258.5 KB, 255 views)
GADGET-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:13 AM   #38
Joeguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Rolex YM 16622 owners! Help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.B. View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy my first Rolex and I need some advice before I proceed.

Since I first saw and tried it, I always wanted to buy a Yacht Master (16622) with a platinum dial. The preowned ones I come across are from the years 2002 to 2006. I live in Singapore and I come across with this particular model quite frequently.

However, as I continued reading about Rolex watches, I learned that the new models are much better in precise time keeping, within +1 sec/day. Then, my intentions moved toward a brand new Air-King, which I liked very much when I tried. But I still have the Yacht Master (16622) in mind.

If I buy a pre-owned 16622 and have it serviced at the Rolex Service Center, would it keep time as precise as the newer models?

My plan is to buy a single Rolex and wear it as long as I can. For such a purpose, would you recommend a preowned Yacht Master, or a brand new Rolex instead?

Thanks!

Sir;

If you are planning to just own one (good luck ), I would buy it brand new.

I wouldn’t buy all my watches new, but if you’re just getting one, I think it’s worth the extra 2K one time to have the boutique experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:26 AM   #39
Drive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife has way more
They are a great watch. I have owned two of them and just gave an employee one of the two. Didn’t want to let it go but he has been with the company for 12 years and I love him like a son. The only issue with that model is the dial is much harder to refinish if it gets scratched, or scuffed. If you look on the used watches, you will notice what I am talking about on many that are for sale.
Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 12:25 PM   #40
Dr.B.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeguy View Post
Sir;

If you are planning to just own one (good luck ), I would buy it brand new.

I wouldn’t buy all my watches new, but if you’re just getting one, I think it’s worth the extra 2K one time to have the boutique experience.

Thanks for your comments.

If I go for the Yacht Master, I will have to go for the pre-owned one due to the very high price of the brand new ones (15K S$).

If I decide to buy a brand new Rolex, I will buy the Air-King (8.3K S$).

Even if I buy a pre-owned Yacht Master, it will cost more than a brand new Air-King. But still, the YM is a very nice watch.

That's why I wonder if I get a pre-owned YM in good condition and have it serviced at Rolex, would it be as good as new in terms of time keeping and long service life with proper maintenance (once every 10 years)?
Old 27 October 2018, 01:53 PM   #41
Dr.B.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive View Post
They are a great watch. I have owned two of them and just gave an employee one of the two. Didn’t want to let it go but he has been with the company for 12 years and I love him like a son. The only issue with that model is the dial is much harder to refinish if it gets scratched, or scuffed. If you look on the used watches, you will notice what I am talking about on many that are for sale.
Hi!

After reading your message, I came across a pre-owned YM with the Pt dial. I realized some dirt like area at the center of the dial. The seller acknowledged that there was some discoloration. What could be the reason for this in a 10 year old watch? I assume it will be worse in time.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-10-27 11.46.58.png (194.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 27 June 2019, 02:06 AM   #42
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
love the clear back case.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 02:32 AM   #43
Drive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife has way more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.B. View Post
Hi!

After reading your message, I came across a pre-owned YM with the Pt dial. I realized some dirt like area at the center of the dial. The seller acknowledged that there was some discoloration. What could be the reason for this in a 10 year old watch? I assume it will be worse in time.
It happens when the try to polish the bezel. It ends up polishing the low spots also. You can see how it is different right around the numbers. The only way to fix it is to have a jeweler sand blast it back to its original flat appearance.
Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 05:55 AM   #44
anthony500
"TRF" Member

Recently purchased a 116622, blue dial really loving it. I live in Geneva Switzerland. I was kind of concerned at first that the bezel would be really fragile if it got impacted during its life and hard to refurbish (and after reading some comments in the net )... the biggest Ad in Geneva however reassured me completely that as they have the correct tools/ machines it’s not more difficult to refurbish it than any other bezel ...
anthony500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:32 AM   #45
SteelSubmarinerGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I like the older 16622 and happily own one.

The most comfortable Rolex case shape, the more coarse sparkling dial on the older ones and protruding end links are all features which I prefer on the 5 digit.

Monochrome look with the Pt dial is a Rolex signature imho and it looks amazing, especially in bright sun light.

Legibility is OK.

The bezel doesn't scratch that easily as some people claim. Mine is without real noticeable scratches and if it happens can be easily refurbished.

Bracelet is all solid and with the PCL's it has a luxury feel.

I fitted a roulette date wheel for fun and an modern DJ clasp. Personally I am not a fan of the 5 digit clasps.

With these small modifications it is a perfect watch.

On the pre-owned market this reference can be bought real cheap. Not much interest for it, so don't expect to flip it easy.

Who refurbished the bezel?

SteelSubmarinerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 04:50 PM   #46
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
@rogerlu . please tell me where you got the clear back. that is awesome
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote