The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 June 2019, 09:49 AM   #1
DGB
"TRF" Member

IWC or Blancpain

Hi all,

For all of you who know about brands, how would you compare IWC and Blancpain?

Which one has higher horology history? Better movement? More reliable, robust?

Are they in the same brand category?

Which brand would be more collector?

I am not talking specific watch just the brand, for equivalent watch which one would gain your preference?

I am moving away from the traditional highly sought after watch that you won’t find anywhere at retail price.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:24 AM   #2
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Hi all,

For all of you who know about brands, how would you compare IWC and Blancpain?

Which one has higher horology history? Better movement? More reliable, robust?

Are they in the same brand category?

Which brand would be more collector?

I am not talking specific watch just the brand, for equivalent watch which one would gain your preference?

I am moving away from the traditional highly sought after watch that you won’t find anywhere at retail price.

Thanks all.

Blancpain has, on the whole, higher quality construction and finishing and is a tier above IWC (in my opinion).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:11 AM   #3
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Blancpain no question. IWC makes some cool watches but Blancpain movements, finishing, etc are all a step above. IWC also makes many times more watches and spends a ton more on marketing so I'm sure one of their celebrity brand ambassadors will tell you they are superior...

Had an IWC BP, Blancpain 500 fathoms, and Rolex SD all at the same time. Only the Blancpain remains....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 01:04 PM   #4
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I think Blancpain wins in every of those categories.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 01:13 PM   #5
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
As much as I adore IWC, I would also vote that Blancpain wins between the two. Some of the IWCs are pretty robust, but for higher horology and workmanship I would go with Blancpain.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Both the brands have a horology history of a few centuries. Blancpain also would be my pick. IWC has very nice watches, especially the pilote timepieces, but is not in the same league as Blancpain.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 09:22 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Both brands have a storied history and offer some cool models. I would need to compare the individual watches to determine where I would go with a purchase.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 04:08 AM   #8
DGB
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for your reply, I’m am going for the Blancpain.

The 2 watches I was contemplating were the IWC Da Vinci perpetual calendar split second white dial and the Blancpain Leman perpetual flyback black dial.

Thanks again.

Old 15 June 2019, 06:33 AM   #9
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

IWC pretty good value proposition overall but Blancpain truly the superior brand.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 07:14 AM   #10
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
My heart goes out for IWC.

Half of the price of Blancpain, most of their recent Pilot watches have inhouse movements now.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 09:59 AM   #11
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Apples to orangutans. I see the OP has now mentioned specific watches, and of those two I would go for the Blancpain also. Comparing the brands results in terrible generalizations as both make differently styled watches for different markets.
I own 2 Blancpains and 7 IWCs. if I wanted a pilot watch or sophisticated chronograph or split minute, I'd go IWC. If I wanted a dressier watch, Blancpain. Both offer very fine and intricate complications from 3 hand watches to minute repeaters and perpetual calendars, IWC tends to package them in larger, more overtly "masculine" designs, Blancpain, fifty fathoms aside, leans more sophisicated and dressy. Both tend to suffer similar depreciation on the secondary market, both have different but equally interesting histories. I don't care much for brand hierarchy, i just buy watches I find attractive or useful
Old 15 June 2019, 11:30 PM   #12
DGB
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

Here it is the 2585f-1130-71, for $10k B&P, I don’t think I could loose a lot. Much better value than any Rolex or Patek for that price IMO.
Being from the mid 90’s, I am surprised at the weight, it is solid links, the bracelet it very smooth, pretty well done, the attention to details is clear here.
The dial is a bit busy, but this is what I was looking for, I wanted a heavy complication watch.
The sub dial are clear and easy to real (not sure about that in 20 years).

Old 16 June 2019, 01:16 AM   #13
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I have both and the Blancpain gets more wrist time and I prefer the movement. Buy used if you go IWC.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 04:02 AM   #14
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Blancpain is different league compared to IWC. Blancpain watches and movements are much higher tier compared to IWC.
Old 16 June 2019, 04:15 AM   #15
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Quote:
Hi all,

Here it is the 2585f-1130-71, for $10k B&P, I don’t think I could loose a lot. Much better value than any Rolex or Patek for that price IMO.
Being from the mid 90’s, I am surprised at the weight, it is solid links, the bracelet it very smooth, pretty well done, the attention to details is clear here.
The dial is a bit busy, but this is what I was looking for, I wanted a heavy complication watch.

That's a beauty.
Old 16 June 2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Hi all,

Beautiful, you picked the right one.
Wear the BP in good health.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 05:26 PM   #17
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Beautiful, you picked the right one.
Wear the BP in good health.
This.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 07:54 AM   #18
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
BP, hands down.

I recently bought a Fifty fathoms chrono with the sunburst blue dial......holy hell, what a beautiful watch. Sadly, it was too big for my wrist and I had to return it.
Otherwise, this is a watch I would have kept. And it wore so incredibly comfortable on the strap it came with.
If you're interested in a BP at a good price through an AD, PM me
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:21 PM   #19
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I’ve owned a Blancpain Leman Chronograph and an IWC GST Perpetual Calendar Chronograph. The BP is more dressy but can be a pain to change out to a strap if you ever wish to do so. It’s a great choice.

The more sporty IWC like this is in a similar ballpark money wise and has nice WR of 120 m if my memory serves me. Plus it has a quick change system to go between a bracelet and rubber strap. Link removal for the IWC is also easy. There are also more dressy IWCs with the same movement if that interests you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 04:22 AM   #20
DGB
"TRF" Member

Hello all,

So after one week on the wrist, I am very satisfied how it wear on my small wrist and pleasantly surprise of the accuracy of this watch,

Ultimately the 38 mm are not too small, the watch is not that thick, I have been wearing it at work where I dress formal.
The first day it was loosing 20 sec/day, after 48 hours it dropped to -7 sec/day, and now the last two days it stabilised at less than +2sec/day.

Blancpain is a real good brand,
thank you M JC Biver.

Old 25 June 2019, 07:14 AM   #21
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Apples to orangutans. I see the OP has now mentioned specific watches, and of those two I would go for the Blancpain also. Comparing the brands results in terrible generalizations as both make differently styled watches for different markets.
I own 2 Blancpains and 7 IWCs. if I wanted a pilot watch or sophisticated chronograph or split minute, I'd go IWC. If I wanted a dressier watch, Blancpain. Both offer very fine and intricate complications from 3 hand watches to minute repeaters and perpetual calendars, IWC tends to package them in larger, more overtly "masculine" designs, Blancpain, fifty fathoms aside, leans more sophisicated and dressy. Both tend to suffer similar depreciation on the secondary market, both have different but equally interesting histories. I don't care much for brand hierarchy, i just buy watches I find attractive or useful
Great answer here. For the two watches the OP is considering, Blancpain is the superior brand. They may be the superior brand over all.

IWC is better known for robust, hyper-masculine tool watches. If you were interested in a chronograph, power reserve, or perpetual calendar in a tool watch case then IWC is who I would choose.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 12:29 PM   #22
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
I had an IWC Portuguese that I sold a while back and just picked up a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe. The fit, finish, and overall build quality of the Blancpain blows IWC out of the water.

jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:32 AM   #23
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I had an IWC Portuguese that I sold a while back and just picked up a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe. The fit, finish, and overall build quality of the Blancpain blows IWC out of the water.

Wow this one is a beauty