The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2022, 04:24 PM   #1
NIHO
"TRF" Member

Rolex vs. Omega

I own both Rolex and Omega. My personal preference is Rolex by far. But I also recognize that the difference between a modern SUB vs. Sea Master is mostly in prestige. They are both excellently crafted mass produced luxury sports watches. The crazy thing is I went to the South Coast Plaza, waited in line to enter the Rolex boutique, and they had zero watches for sale. Next door, I walked into the Omega boutique and they had easily over a hundred watches, duplicates of popular models. How is the demand so different? What is Omega failing to do here? Is this all Insta-Hype?
PS-wore this bad boy that day. It has grown on me, no pun intended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD.jpg (84.0 KB, 2829 views)
NIHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:33 PM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I have the same problem. 9 out of 10 times I grab a Rolex over my omega.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:40 PM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Let’s start with why you prefer Rolex over Omega by far? Maybe you’ll answer your own question.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:41 PM   #4
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Simply put, they Omega make more watches than Rolex
Jump on the Omega website and you'll see how deep their current offerings are
Omega will make a watch for everyone who wants one (provided they dont want a Snoopy or 321 Speedmaster)
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:45 PM   #5
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Rolex makes more watches than Omega as far as I can find out.

They control a larger segment of the market and generate a lot more income.

It’s all about demand. More people want Rolex than Omega. I’m not sure why but there it is.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:46 PM   #6
grimps
"TRF" Member

I've owned a few Omegas and they're great watches although I don't think the bracelets are anywhere near as good as Rolex.
If they slimmed down the number of models they produced they it might become a little bit more exclusive.
I'd say until the 80s Omega were on par with Rolex
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:52 PM   #7
aceofangel
"TRF" Member

Omega has too many variations of its core design. It seems to be a Swatch trait. Blancpain also has the same problem.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:55 PM   #8
*M5
"TRF" Member

Variations are fine as you're trying to cover more ground and give people choices but I can't get over the sizes and bracelets.

Too bulky and just not the same attention to detail in my eyes as Rolex.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
*M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 05:20 PM   #9
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Rolex > Omega in 2020.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top-50-watch-brands-of-2020-Morgan-Stanley-scaled.jpg (192.6 KB, 2683 views)
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 05:26 PM   #10
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIHO View Post
I own both Rolex and Omega. My personal preference is Rolex by far. But I also recognize that the difference between a modern SUB vs. Sea Master is mostly in prestige. They are both excellently crafted mass produced luxury sports watches. The crazy thing is I went to the South Coast Plaza, waited in line to enter the Rolex boutique, and they had zero watches for sale. Next door, I walked into the Omega boutique and they had easily over a hundred watches, duplicates of popular models. How is the demand so different? What is Omega failing to do here? Is this all Insta-Hype?
PS-wore this bad boy that day. It has grown on me, no pun intended.
Ya but you are comparing the best Diver from Rolex to Omega, of course you'll pick Rolex. SD43 is the best diver there is, when it fits on you correctly you will have difficulty wearing something else. I think the No Time To Die Omega is beautiful and solid though.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 05:27 PM   #11
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
If you loom back Omega has often (usually?) been ahead of Rolex in terms of design, function and technology. But Rolex's marketing has been more effective.

Until the recently situation you could walk into a shop and buy either brand easily, often with a discount.

Omega isn't doing anything wrong, it's just Rolex demand is sky-high at the moment.
Old 7 February 2022, 05:31 PM   #12
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Omega's problems in the market are:

1) Overproduction. Too many watches and too many of each version. There are so many aqua terra versions on the website that I gave up trying to count them all. That's just one reference class. Add in the other Seamasters and don't even start on the Speedmasters...it's just unreal how many they crank out.

2) Short design life cycles. They just keep changing and changing and changing models. The exception being the Speedmaster Pro (only recently getting a major upgrade after many years), which for some reason is their most popular reference...I wonder why?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 06:44 PM   #13
Dr. T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Completely agree with Fleetlord.

Other issues are:

3. Design in some cases. I just don't think they spend as much time thinking about the proportions, dial layout etc. as Rolex. With a few exceptions, I think Rolex design language is better and more classic (case thickness, lug to lug length, dial size). I actually generally prefer the design of many seikos over Omega divers (obviously different price point and build quality for most models).

4. Bracelets and clasps. Yeah, bit controversial, I don't think the case integration of the bracelet is normally that great, and I don't like the push button clasp much. One of the reasons I sold my old SeaMaster a while ago.

Still a solid brand, but I prefer Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

1) Overproduction. Too many watches and too many of each version. There are so many aqua terra versions on the website that I gave up trying to count them all. That's just one reference class. Add in the other Seamasters and don't even start on the Speedmasters...it's just unreal how many they crank out.

2) Short design life cycles. They just keep changing and changing and changing models. The exception being the Speedmaster Pro (only recently getting a major upgrade after many years), which for some reason is their most popular reference...I wonder why?
Dr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 07:25 PM   #14
Jojomojo
Banned

I find Omega is the true SPORTS watch. They're very bulky, heavier and looks much more sporty than Rolex.
Rolex is the LUXURY-SPORTS watch, which is where u wanna be if u're in the luxury industry.
Jojomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 07:40 PM   #15
Spurman
"TRF" Member

Well. Almost every kid is "brainwashed" into rolex superiority. Myself included. Lol. As yes rolex makes excellent products.

Omega just missing that spark. And prob only the speedie is iconic.

Brand has been itched to every boys girls mind since birth. Hail rolex.
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 07:51 PM   #16
Little machines
"TRF" Member

I do like the SD43 on your wrist ! Omega has a very good product for the value but Rolex has the marketing genius and quality behind their watches.
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 08:12 PM   #17
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

We are in the subjective, the tastes, the colors, the aura of the brand, the spirit, the resale value, what makes someone prefer one or the other.
'Cause yes, the last Diver's300m or a Seamaster's are well worth a Sub...
But when the human has convinced himself, it is very difficult to open up.

There is even better at almost the same price (after discount or on the gray market), look at the Sea Q range from Glashütte for example (more upscale in the finishes and much more handmade)...so proof that people are more concerned about this subjective, appearance and image than the best value for money.

In summary, there is no one that is better than the other.

They are two industrial behemoths with objectively identical quality and design standards !

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 08:15 PM   #18
hkgary33
"TRF" Member

I own 2 Rolex (DJ 36, OP 36) so far and did not own an Omega, but did try on some Omega sports models (Seamaster Diver 300, Aqua Terra) on wrists in their boutiques.

My feelings and impression of Omega watches are: They are also well crafted timepieces, the executions of the watches look great; though I found the bracelets too bulky and not tapered just like Rolex. Totally agree with what Jojomojo said, it just look a bit heavier look for Omega.

And I just don't quite get the reasons of some of the designs of Omega watches.
For example, their Seamaster Diver 300m is an excellent looking diver watch. But since it's positioned as a diver watch, I don't quite understand why some parts of the bracelets are polished; while comparing with Rolex Submariner (SS), all parts of the bracelets are brushed as it is supposed to be a diver watch/tool watch. I also don't quite understand why they produced a Chronograph version in the Diver 300m, why need this?

As for Rolex, my impression is that each model is positioned optimally and distinguishly. I won't find any redundant designs in the timepieces; and each part of the design are coherent with the overall looks. They did not put too much fancy things into each model, but they just excel every part of it (the dial, hands, bracelets, clasps etc).
I am still fancinated how the small design differences (e.g. bevel edges of the indices, the font size of 'Oyster Perpetual' wordings in the dial, the different finishing of the bracelets) between my OP 36 and DJ 36 gave me a total different feelings.
hkgary33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 08:15 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Simply put, I sold all my Omegas and likely will never buy another one.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 08:27 PM   #20
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I prefer omega over everything Rolex does except the actual watch sizes and design.

Omega took a deposit for a 321 speedy and then delivered it simple. Let me take home the watch stickered. When i wrecked one of my links sizing it myself they gave me a free link!!!!… if i want a new bracelet they will sell me one. If any want to try put a different bracelet on, they don’t care.

Just took a watch in for service, it was fixed price and all the old parts were returned…

Rolex do none of this… but they make watches that generally fit my wrist better… i much prefer omega’s ownership experience.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 08:59 PM   #21
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
In today's market as a collector, not an investor, I would be collecting Omega. Omega produces a lot of interesting designs that are well made, available and reasonably priced.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:02 PM   #22
Kratonwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I’m glad someone pointed this out. I think omega has WAYYY too many variations of watches, so very few feel special. IMO
Kratonwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:17 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own several of both Omega and Rolex watches. My Speedmaster 1861 and 3861 get a lot of wrist time and I actually prefer wearing them to my SS Daytona-C's. The Rolex Submariner is my ultimate watch and it is where I started 30 years ago so it has me captivated for life. I do not see it as an either/or for the watches, I see it as a in addition to my Omega/Rolex.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:24 PM   #24
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Current Seamasters are ugly. The deep discounts available on them does not make an ugly watch desirable.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:29 PM   #25
estrangable
"TRF" Member

just look at the omega - all the "Sides of the moon" watch ... how many sides are there exactly... u have dark, white, red, pink, grey ... jesus, u name it, they probably will release it in the future... within the dark side of the moon speedy, u have all sorts of dial variation...its just a classic case of milking it till it's dry...
estrangable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:30 PM   #26
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Once you have a speedy pro or 2 there is no reason for anymore omegas…… speedy pro or nothing…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 10:31 PM   #27
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
Ya but you are comparing the best Diver from Rolex to Omega, of course you'll pick Rolex. SD43 is the best diver there is, when it fits on you correctly you will have difficulty wearing something else. I think the No Time To Die Omega is beautiful and solid though.
Sd43 without a doubt the best diver in my mind :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 11:17 PM   #28
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR126720
I agree with a lot of sentiments.

Omega tech and ownership experience is second to none.

Rolex brand, fit/feel, and overall design is second to none.

They both have incredible robustness, especially relative to other lux brands.

And, while I own 4 Rolexes, I did pick up my first Omega NTTD Seamaster, and I continue to love it - thinner case for omega, amazing bracelet, and simple enduring design. Not the case imo for many of the other seamasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pj1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 11:41 PM   #29
kearez
"TRF" Member

I think a lot of it comes down to marketing. Rolex is perceived has a level above Omega. I’m sure if you gave someone a Planet Ocean and Sub and asked to pick the higher value, they would go for the planet ocean. Both ceramic, dates and planet ocean has a display case back.

I think too many people write off omega. There boutique experience is miles above Rolex, plus having actual inventory to try on helps. This is all coming from a Rolex owner who is considering an Omega next.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 11:46 PM   #30
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Anyone interested in DJ41 would do well to check out the Globemaster. Every bit as well made/robust as the DJ. Much better looking/more interesting. Blows Rolex away as far as accuracy. Available. No brainer.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote