The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 February 2020, 12:22 PM   #1
JVnyc
"TRF" Member

seeking help w/ID of my dad's 1956 Oyster Perpetual Precision

With usual apologies for being a newbie, and great respect for the power of forums, I'm hoping members can help me ID my dad's watch, which I've just inherited.

It's marked Rolex Oyster Perpetual Precision.

It was bought in 1956 in Switzerland, presumably hence the French-language "Brevet" on the case. Can't see a model number under the band, but don't have the tool to remove the band altogether to look.

The serial # is 200XXX, which according to Bob's Watches Rolex serial # finder, means it was made either in 1942 or 1956 ... so that matches.

[Tried to add a photo here, but apparently forum rules say I must post TEN times before I can insert the photo link ?? Is there any way around this? HELP !!]

Despite an hour of searching images online, I haven't been able to peg a model # exactly.

Also, it appears to me the face is faded, discolored, or stained ... is it? How does that happen inside a sealed watch?

Any and all info welcomed, with thanks in advance!
JVnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Well, we're not psychic. The reference number is between the lugs at 12 o'clock. If you can't read it or remove the strap, have someone do it for you. It's extremely easy to do, and you will have a definitive answer.
Old 28 February 2020, 01:10 PM   #3
JVnyc
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I guess I'll have to do that.

Had seen other posts on this forum from new users that included an image, so wondering if that rule about 10 posts is new? Or if there's any workaround?

Maybe this will work?
app . photobucket . com/u/jvnyc32/p/f856beb6-aea7-4595-8070-83d413298eaf
Old 28 February 2020, 01:17 PM   #4
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Send me a PM with the images and I'll put them up for you.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:27 PM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVnyc View Post
Thanks, I guess I'll have to do that.

Had seen other posts on this forum from new users that included an image, so wondering if that rule about 10 posts is new? Or if there's any workaround?

. . .
Anybody can attach a photo as long as it meets the size parameters for the type of file.

You need to have 10 real posts for url's
Old 28 February 2020, 09:48 PM   #6
JVnyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Anybody can attach a photo as long as it meets the size parameters for the type of file.

You need to have 10 real posts for url's
OHHHHHHHHHHH! I had missed the "attach" option. Thank you, thank you. Here's the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 1956 Oyster Perpetual Precision 02.jpg (286.2 KB, 466 views)
Old 29 February 2020, 02:48 AM   #7
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your dad.

Wow, nice watch. Great original waffle dial, nice patina. The numbers at 3, 6, 9 make it a little extra special (not the usual stick markers).

Dials change over time -- aging and exposure to light. There are folks that love that colour. I am one of them.

That watch is mid-1950s, not 1940s.

My opinion? Definitely a keeper. If it wasn't recently serviced (last five years) get the movement serviced by an reputable independent watchmaker, not Rolex. Absolutely leave the dial and case untouched. Replace the gasket, crown and crown tube if need be, and possibly the crystal.

Expect to spend between $300 and $600 depending on parts.

If you let us know your location, someone will recommend a nearby watchmaker.

Enjoy your watch, it's a beauty.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 03:45 AM   #8
Mbalce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OHHHHHHHHHHH! I had missed the "attach" option. Thank you, thank you. Here's the photo.
Gorgeous watch. I agree with approach of service, reseal, and don’t touch the patina at all.
Mbalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 10:25 PM   #9
JVnyc
"TRF" Member

Nick and MBalce: Many thanks for the advice + the good words. Much appreciated, and as for so many types of gear or cars (in my case), the forums prove informative and helpful.

As noted above, It's marked Rolex Oyster Perpetual Precision and was bought in 1956 in Switzerland, presumably hence the French-language "Brevet" on the case.

Can't see a model number under the band, but don't have the tool to remove the band. Is it possible to remove the band without that tool, by somehow compressing the little spring-loaded pins that hold it in?

The serial # is 200XXX, which the Bob's Watches Rolex serial # finder confirms is 1956. I'm still eager to confirm a model number too. Any idea on that Q?

Finally, I'm in the greater New York City region, if Nick in Ontario has any advice on local watchmakers who are well-regarded for service. Again thanks!
Old 1 March 2020, 12:59 AM   #10
Nick9
"TRF" Member

That is indeed exactly how you remove the band. If you don't have the correct tool, you can slide a small penknife between the lug and the band, and use it to catch and pull the springbar toward the middle. This can take a few tries.

There's a risk of scratching the watch, and so you are better advised to drop into a jeweller that knows how to do this properly and has the right tool. It takes seconds and if the jeweller is friendly, it might be a freebie.

There are lots of New York folks who can advise on watchmakers for you. I'm sure they will chime in.
Old 1 March 2020, 03:15 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There were a lot of odd reference numbers back then.

Very likely a 6352 variant, with a desirable 369 (Explorer style) waffle dial. Some call these "Pre-Explorers"

Unscrew the back and it may very likely have both a base reference number and a date stamp
Old 1 March 2020, 03:22 AM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Is it possible to remove the band without that tool, by somehow compressing the little spring-loaded pins that hold it in?
Do you have any dental floss?
https://www.google.com/search?client...fX-gSv65jACg29
Old 1 March 2020, 07:27 PM   #13
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Thats a lovely watch.

You could try a cocktail stick through the lug hole to pop the spring bar out. Personally wouldn't use a small pen knife as a great chance of scratching your watch up.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 07:39 AM   #14
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
Thats a lovely watch.

You could try a cocktail stick through the lug hole to pop the spring bar out. Personally wouldn't use a small pen knife as a great chance of scratching your watch up.
Right--the lugs have holes of course. Best advice above. I don't know what a cocktail stick is. A paper clip will work.
Old 4 March 2020, 09:32 PM   #15
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I'd be happy to service that watch for you.

PM me or Email RolexWatchTime@att.net

Very easy to send it to Texas. I service watches of this vintage from all over the world.

From 56 it's likely a 6564 if it is 34mm with 19mm lugs and rounded sides. Calibre 1030.

It could be a 6298 if it is 36mm and 20mm lugs. The OP Precision leads me to believe it might be. Then Calibre 745.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 07:41 AM   #16
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
wow.... great watch.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 04:41 AM   #17
JVnyc
"TRF" Member

Confirmed as a 6298

My dad's old strap from the 1980s finally rotted and broke, so having a new strap put on gave me the model number and serial number ... finally.

It's a 6298, and serial number confirms it is from 1956, the year it was given to him by my grandfather (to celebrate his selection for a U.S. Olympic team, I like to think).

Thanks to all for advice and compliments. Happy to have the watch and wear it, just as it was intended.
Old 18 July 2020, 05:34 PM   #18
Woody
"TRF" Member

That is quite a sought after watch - I hope you wear it and enjoy it in memory of your father for many years to come. Thanks for sharing.
Woody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 06:23 AM   #19
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My dad's old strap from the 1980s finally rotted and broke, so having a new strap put on gave me the model number and serial number ... finally.

It's a 6298, and serial number confirms it is from 1956, the year it was given to him by my grandfather (to celebrate his selection for a U.S. Olympic team, I like to think).

Thanks to all for advice and compliments. Happy to have the watch and wear it, just as it was intended.
Did you get it serviced?

If you don't know the service history, have someone service it. I don't care if it's me or someone else but that 745 movement has critical lubrication points in the autowind that if the lubrication isn't maintained, they will break. They are expensive and very difficult parts to source. Rotor arbor and the double spring that couples the autowind to the ratchet wheel.

It's a beautiful watch. Don't run it dry.
Old 24 July 2020, 11:40 PM   #20
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Did you get it serviced?
Very good to see you Tommy.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 12:28 AM   #21
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Very Nice Wonderful Watch! Sorry about your dad, condolences.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 07:52 PM   #22
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Very good to see you Tommy.
You too Richard. I did a lot of touring last couple of years and kind of

got away from the boards on watches. Still doing a lot of servicing and basic collector piddle.