The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Advice on a 5396

I have been considering a 5146G for some time and then happened to try on a 5396G while visiting NY last month. I am thinking now, that is the watch for me (looking for a long term PP...not something to flip in a year or two). Really caught my eye as sleek and a modern classic piece. Also liked the white face over the cream face on the 5146.

The 5396 to my eye seems more business or formal (but hoping I can dress it down a bit with maybe a mat strap) vs the 5146. Not looking for an everyday piece but also dont want it to be too limiting. Any thoughts on this?

I think the 5146 is and will always be seen as a classic. Question is what about the 5396? Crystal balls out please!

I know its person choice but does the PP community here think the 5396 a long term keeper or will it fade off as a miss in a few more years time?

Or should I just stick with the more tried and true 5146?

Thanks in advance for any advice or commentary.

Borrowed a few pics just for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5146lg3_800x1120.jpg (65.2 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg 5396G_011sm.jpg (50.7 KB, 531 views)
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 03:49 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me I would choose the 5146 between those two. In fact I would actually go in a different direction and get a 3940J but that is me. Best of luck in your decision....Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Oryx
"TRF" Member

I had the same dilemma a few years ago.

I would recommend the following course of action:-

a) Go to an AD and compare both watches side by side

b) then take a think about it over say a week

c) go back the the AD and compare the two models and then decide

I ended up going for the 5146 - since then i have had some moments where i thought i should have gone for the 5396 instead but am now over that and happy with the 5146g

To me the 5146G is a distinctive Patek classic that can discretely be worn in both a casual and formal environment.

The 5396 is a beauty but to me was slightly more flashy than the 5146.

If its a modern looking classic Patek you want then the 5396 is the best one - however if you want something a bit more traditional then go for the 5146.

If you can stretch your budget and get a Perpetual then that is defo the way to go - the 5140 is off the chart and so is the 3940.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 06:33 AM   #4
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
For me I would choose the 5146 between those two. In fact I would actually go in a different direction and get a 3940J but that is me. Best of luck in your decision....Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
I had the same dilemma a few years ago.

I would recommend the following course of action:-

a) Go to an AD and compare both watches side by side

b) then take a think about it over say a week

c) go back the the AD and compare the two models and then decide

I ended up going for the 5146 - since then i have had some moments where i thought i should have gone for the 5396 instead but am now over that and happy with the 5146g

To me the 5146G is a distinctive Patek classic that can discretely be worn in both a casual and formal environment.

The 5396 is a beauty but to me was slightly more flashy than the 5146.

If its a modern looking classic Patek you want then the 5396 is the best one - however if you want something a bit more traditional then go for the 5146.

If you can stretch your budget and get a Perpetual then that is defo the way to go - the 5140 is off the chart and so is the 3940.

It was a stretch to move up from the 5146 to the 5396 so moving up to a 3940 or the 5140 (both of which are amazing), isn't currently in the cards.

Thanks for the input. I agree on moving to a perpetual at some point. Just don't think it can be my first stop!

If I go with the 5146, I was thinking cream dial over the slate. Any feels on which is more impactful on the wrist? I have seen the cream but not the slate. We only have one dealer where I live so hard to get to see any of these pieces in the metal.
Old 27 January 2013, 07:20 AM   #5
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson13 View Post
It was a stretch to move up from the 5146 to the 5396 so moving up to a 3940 or the 5140 (both of which are amazing), isn't currently in the cards.

Thanks for the input. I agree on moving to a perpetual at some point. Just don't think it can be my first stop!

If I go with the 5146, I was thinking cream dial over the slate. Any feels on which is more impactful on the wrist? I have seen the cream but not the slate. We only have one dealer where I live so hard to get to see any of these pieces in the metal.
I have had the slate dial on the 5146P and it was stunning. I think though the creamis easier to read and I might lean towards it. Either way you can't lose. Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 27 January 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have had the slate dial on the 5146P and it was stunning. I think though the creamis easier to read and I might lean towards it. Either way you can't lose. Cheers,
Have any old pics with the slate you can post? All the pics I see online are just not very good and I know are under-delivering what it must look like in person. Much appreciated if you do. Thanks
Old 27 January 2013, 09:08 AM   #7
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I guess I'm going against the flow here, but I prefer the look of the 5396. I'm just not a big fan of the subdials on the 5146. Just my opinion.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 09:16 AM   #8
john87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have any old pics with the slate you can post? All the pics I see online are just not very good and I know are under-delivering what it must look like in person. Much appreciated if you do. Thanks
Here's a recent thread with some great pictures of the slate dial 5146: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=263442

There are also several 'which AC'-category threads around here, where you might find more pics.

Good luck with picking the right one :)
john87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
carnegie
"TRF" Member

I would greatly appreciate if someone could post pics of 5146G with the cream dial. Most online photos are not good either.
carnegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 01:08 PM   #10
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Curveball; I am adding the 5205 into the mix (5146, 5396 or 5205). I know its even more modern than the 5396 but after looking at some pics last few days (have not seen one in the metal), I find myself really gravitating to it. Very striking. Seems it would dress up and down easily. Love the case shape and lug design. Slightly larger, yes but that doesn't bother me (I wear more business casual/business dress then business formal/formal.

I need to be medicated; Classic, to modern-classic to modern.
Old 27 January 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP PC, Nautilus!
Is this to be your "last Patek" or what?

All of these annuals are fantastic pieces, and as other members have pointed out, you can't go wrong whichever way you go. The question I have is whether you think that this is the "last" Patek you'll be purchasing, and whether that's realistic. I suspect that if you do make a choice among the 5146, 5396 and 5205, you'll be happy for a while... and then that familiar urge will surface very quickly. And then you'll go looking...

Nothing bad about that, by the way. That just means you flip a (three-sided?) coin now and choose which one to get. You'll get the others later. :)

By the way, I'm curious as to why you think the 3940 is currently out of reach. Are you looking to buy a new, unworn 3940, which retails from anywhere from the mid-50s for the J and G to the low 70s for the P? If so, that'll be tough since it's been out of production since 2006.

But you can obtain a pretty mint pre-owned 3940J in the low 40s or even the high 30s if you look hard enough - which means comparable pricing to the newer annuals you're considering, 'no?

Like SteelerFan65 above, my vote is for the incredibly classic 3940 with its perfect (in my eyes) proportions. Here's my 3940P for your consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3940p_by_subway.jpg (95.9 KB, 436 views)
vc_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc_watches View Post
All of these annuals are fantastic pieces, and as other members have pointed out, you can't go wrong whichever way you go. The question I have is whether you think that this is the "last" Patek you'll be purchasing, and whether that's realistic. I suspect that if you do make a choice among the 5146, 5396 and 5205, you'll be happy for a while... and then that familiar urge will surface very quickly. And then you'll go looking...

Nothing bad about that, by the way. That just means you flip a (three-sided?) coin now and choose which one to get. You'll get the others later. :)

By the way, I'm curious as to why you think the 3940 is currently out of reach. Are you looking to buy a new, unworn 3940, which retails from anywhere from the mid-50s for the J and G to the low 70s for the P? If so, that'll be tough since it's been out of production since 2006.

But you can obtain a pretty mint pre-owned 3940J in the low 40s or even the high 30s if you look hard enough - which means comparable pricing to the newer annuals you're considering, 'no?

Like SteelerFan65 above, my vote is for the incredibly classic 3940 with its perfect (in my eyes) proportions. Here's my 3940P for your consideration.
I was looking at preowned on all of the references I am considering so budget is in the high $30Ks to low (very low), $40Ks. The quick scan I did only turned up a few 3940Gs and they were all $50Ks-$60Ks. So I was thinking it was out of reach. I dont need a new one, just a high quality one so maybe I can find one close to my budget with a little more searching and patience!

I agree with you and SteelerFan the 3940 is more of a lifetime piece. Its truly spectacular. Honestly, I had not really looked at it before thinking all perpetuals were well beyond my means currently. But maybe not as you have pointed out.

Thank you and SteelerFan for putting it on my radar. The search continues!
Old 28 January 2013, 12:19 AM   #13
HL65

Quote:
I was looking at preowned on all of the references I am considering so budget is in the high $30Ks to low (very low), $40Ks. The quick scan I did only turned up a few 3940Gs and they were all $50Ks-$60Ks. So I was thinking it was out of reach. I dont need a new one, just a high quality one so maybe I can find one close to my budget with a little more searching and patience!

I agree with you and SteelerFan the 3940 is more of a lifetime piece. Its truly spectacular. Honestly, I had not really looked at it before thinking all perpetuals were well beyond my means currently. But maybe not as you have pointed out.

Thank you and SteelerFan for putting it on my radar. The search continues!
If you truly want one I can give you someone who has a pristine complete 2nd series with rare Dore dial(champagne)- same dial T Stern wears himself on his 3940J. Check out : theinternationalwatches.com--John Lydon solid seller and this watch can be had for $40K even my guess. Happy hunting....Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 28 January 2013, 01:04 AM   #14
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you truly want one I can give you someone who has a pristine complete 2nd series with rare Dore dial(champagne)- same dial T Stern wears himself on his 3940J. Check out : theinternationalwatches.com--John Lydon solid seller and this watch can be had for $40K even my guess. Happy hunting....Cheers,
Great lead. Thanks SteelerFan. Thats a beautiful piece and will consider it. However, I think I may be happier in the long runs with white gold (or of course plat). Just personal preference. I will reach out to Mr. Lyon and talk with him about it as well as let him know it keep an eye out for a G.

Also, if there are any other dealers you can recommend to help me in my search for a 3940G in my range, please PM me. Most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 8 March 2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Jabberjaw
Banned

I like the 5146G. I think the 5140 has too much going on and is confusing. Then again, my 5167 on rubber is probably the only watch I will ever need. Comfort, sporty and all purpose rolled into one awesome package.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Viv Savage
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, JLC
I love mine. The dial and information is instantaneous. Then there's the simplicity of a complicated watch. Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.5 KB, 272 views)
Viv Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:55 PM   #17
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
Attached Images

If you like to spend more I would go 3940P as mentioned above. If not PP5146g cream!
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 09:19 PM   #18
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
3940 has my vote in a heartbeat but if I'm only comparing the two you mentionned in your original post I'd go with the 5146. The 5396 is a lovely timepiece that is well proportionned and has beautiful and elegant lines, however, I prefer the dial of the 5146 as I find it more original. Besides, I personally don't quite like the 24 hour hand on the 5396.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 10:33 PM   #19
el1125
Banned

5396 is my choice. it looks amazing
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 10:51 PM   #20
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

5396 all the way.

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 10:59 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
5396 for me, don't like the dial design of the 5146.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2014, 06:53 AM   #22
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I agree with some of the posters above that if you can get a pre-owned 3940 in pristine condition from a reputation seller, it certainly is a great collector's item. The perpetual calendars are definitely a step above the annual calendars and I believe it will be reflected in resale value down the line if that is a consideration at all.

However if you are looking to get a brand new current generation annual calendar, I like the cleaner dial and more modern looking appearance of the 5396. The 5146 has a more classic appearance and will also be a watch you can also keep for years/decades and pass it on to the next generation. Some say that the 5146 may be close to the end of its production cycle as it has been out for quite a while now. If you look at the new retail pricing of a watch reference that is nearing the end of production, you may notice a big difference in the price between its current price and the price when it first came out. It can be a big difference and hard to swallow paying more than 50% for the same watch compared to those who bought it when the 5146 was first released. I didn't mean to complicate your decision-making process, but just some food for thought...
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote