The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2014, 11:21 PM   #61
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher View Post
beautiful watch el1125. Congrats. Love the tach.
x2
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 12:18 AM   #62
el1125
Banned

Thank u Preacher
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 03:16 AM   #63
randyyeap
"TRF" Member

Love the blue dial make me want the 5270 now LOL

AP Owners Club

Instagram: @randyn2
randyyeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2014, 04:01 AM   #64
el1125
Banned

Outside pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.3 KB, 256 views)
Old 24 February 2014, 02:33 AM   #65
Evil bendy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Outside pic
Amazing I know there is considerable debate about this dial variation - but for me there is no debate! I love it! That thing happening at the 6 o'clock will likely be one of those things that collectors marvel at and love one day when were all old and grey :)

Wear in good health
Evil bendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 02:37 AM   #66
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil bendy View Post
Amazing I know there is considerable debate about this dial variation - but for me there is no debate! I love it! That thing happening at the 6 o'clock will likely be one of those things that collectors marvel at and love one day when were all old and grey :)

Wear in good health
I am with you now as well. I wasn't sure at first but after looking at it more I love it and would gladly take one right now! In fact the dip at 6:00 is similar to one on the 5970 except for the outer track.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 02:43 AM   #67
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

No dip on 5970. They overplayed the date sub dial over the tach to make it clean. This one is a epic fail. I have ever AD I know calling me trying to unload them. Let me know if someone wants one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
I am with you now as well. I wasn't sure at first but after looking at it more I love it and would gladly take one right now! In fact the dip at 6:00 is similar to one on the 5970 except for the outer track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.4 KB, 198 views)
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 02:45 AM   #68
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

Double post like the chin on that 5270! Sorry
Old 24 February 2014, 02:49 AM   #69
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopiccoog View Post
No dip on 5970. They overplayed the date sub dial over the tach to make it clean. This one is a epic fail. I have ever AD I know calling me trying to unload them. Let me know if someone wants one.
On the J, G and R it doesn't but it does dip below in my view below outer track on the 5970P. It is just the track breaks on the 5970P vs. going below like on the 5270.

** 5970P courtesy of Roger

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 24 February 2014, 03:08 AM   #70
HL65

PS. To be clear I much prefer the 5970P! I also don't like the track continuing below the day sub dial. Much prefer the break like on the 5970P or cleaner look like on the first 5270. Again though love the blue dial and sure it would grow on me over time if I had to suffer and own it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 24 February 2014, 03:25 AM   #71
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
My eyes are sure drawn to that belly under the 6, in pictures.
Old 24 February 2014, 03:31 AM   #72
el1125
Banned

Thanks Evil

Everybody has their own opinion and biased based on what they already own. I had both options at my disposal the original 5270 at a cheaper price and the new blue at a higher price. I tried both on and there was truly NO comparison. The original dial on me looked very blah and the new blue was much richer looking. Like a Patek should be. Obviously Patek felt the same way as they needed to offer up a new variant to customers not wanting the first series dial. The market discounting them a rather large amount is a refection of this. Patek sort of knows what they are doing. :)
Old 24 February 2014, 03:38 AM   #73
HL65

Quote:
Everybody has their own opinion and biased based on what they already own. I had both options at my disposal the original 5270 at a cheaper price and the new blue at a higher price. I tried both on and there was truly NO comparison. The original dial on me looked very blah and the new blue was much richer looking. Like a Patek should be. Obviously Patek felt the same way as they needed to offer up a new variant to customers not wanting the first series dial. The market discounting them a rather large amount is a refection of this. Patek sort of knows what they are doing. :)
Certainly can't argue that the market did heavily discount the 5270G first series something that clearly didn't happen with it's predecessor the 5970.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 24 February 2014, 03:45 AM   #74
Evil bendy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PS. To be clear I much prefer the 5970P! I also don't like the track continuing below the day sub dial. Much prefer the break like on the 5970P or cleaner look like on the first 5270. Again though love the blue dial and sure it would grow on me over time if I had to suffer and own it!
Ken is absolutely right about the slight dip on the 5970P - here are some pics this time courtesy of EB

I might have to add the 5270G blue dial - it's all a question of scarcity and price now hmmm

Also notice the "120" just above swiss
Old 24 February 2014, 04:06 AM   #75
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil bendy View Post
Ken is absolutely right about the slight dip on the 5970P - here are some pics this time courtesy of EB

I might have to add the 5270G blue dial - it's all a question of scarcity and price now hmmm

Also notice the "120" just above swiss
As always my friend! Wow wow wow!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 24 February 2014, 04:27 AM   #76
el1125
Banned

That 5970 Tiffany is incredible
Old 24 February 2014, 10:16 AM   #77
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Another interesting fact, the blue dial 5270 in HK is HKD200,000 cheaper than the Series 1 - remaining stocks of the latter are NOT being discounted to the newer price level (although you will get the usual 10% off). The dealer I spoke to (not my normal dealer) said that the new lower price was only for the blue dial, not the newer white dial. Very odd!

In any case, my preference remains for the 5270 Series 1 and the 5970P - the Jay Leno edition doesn't work for me even though I love the blue dial!
conkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 10:31 AM   #78
subtona
"TRF" Member

5170 on the left
5270 on the right.

remarkably similar from the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 7.28.03 PM.jpg (53.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 24 February 2014, 12:07 PM   #79
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
5170 on the left
5270 on the right.

I think they are the same. What changes is just the front of the movement.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.2 KB, 152 views)
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 12:08 PM   #80
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
5170 on the left
5270 on the right.

Vs 5270
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 25 February 2014, 01:43 AM   #81
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Just read this from a HK forum:

"Just finished a long lunch with SJX. We talked primary about my collection, and discussed what direction my investment should go in the near future.

A few noteworthy comments on different brands made by SJX:

1. Patek is becoming way too commercial. Nothing is interesting anymore in the current collection, but hopefully something will come up this year due to its anniversary. I asked him what he would recommend me in buying from this brand, and he said either first series 3970 or 5004 which he believes are still undervalued. He also mentioned that the new 5270G with the new dials are better received than the older model. For this reason he thinks the current new dial design will last for a long time, as new metal is introduced."

I am sure some of you here have heard of SJX, I don't know what kind of connections he has with various ADs but what do you guys think of him saying the new dial is better received than the old one?
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 01:58 AM   #82
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
I think they are the same. What changes is just the front of the movement.

………………………..
Old 25 February 2014, 09:59 AM   #83
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Just read this from a HK forum:

"Just finished a long lunch with SJX. We talked primary about my collection, and discussed what direction my investment should go in the near future.

A few noteworthy comments on different brands made by SJX:

1. Patek is becoming way too commercial. Nothing is interesting anymore in the current collection, but hopefully something will come up this year due to its anniversary. I asked him what he would recommend me in buying from this brand, and he said either first series 3970 or 5004 which he believes are still undervalued. He also mentioned that the new 5270G with the new dials are better received than the older model. For this reason he thinks the current new dial design will last for a long time, as new metal is introduced."

I am sure some of you here have heard of SJX, I don't know what kind of connections he has with various ADs but what do you guys think of him saying the new dial is better received than the old one?
Well I think most people on here would disagree completely with him on the 5270. The Jay Leno tach has been moaned about repeatedly by several people, although a few in our midst do like the new version.
conkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 10:02 AM   #84
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Well I think most people on here would disagree completely with him on the 5270. The Jay Leno tach has been moaned about repeatedly by several people, although a few in our midst do like the new version.
I can't understand why they didn't break the tach like they did on the 5970's which look so good!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 25 February 2014, 11:17 AM   #85
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Amén to that Roger. That's the case here no doubt.
Old 25 February 2014, 11:19 AM   #86
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I can't understand why they didn't break the tach like they did on the 5970's which look so good!
You are right Ken. I love the way the 5970 handled it.
Old 25 February 2014, 12:01 PM   #87
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

It was purely a pricing issue. Heard that from Patek themselves.

Quote:
Old 25 February 2014, 12:06 PM   #88
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

Double post, not to be confused with the double chin
Old 25 February 2014, 12:21 PM   #89
Evil bendy
"TRF" Member

Honestly I think that little quirk on the dial looks weird at first but It's growing on me

Patek collectors are notorious for bemoaning every minor difference from the previous generation - until the piece becomes discontinued after which it gradually picks up steam until it's the greatest thing since sliced bread :)

Who knows for sure but maybe that little quirk at 6 Oclock will become like those little square on PN dials in 50 years who can say!

What I am more concerned about is how many patek will make - if they are easy to get then they will not be collectible and likely heavy discounted - which is not only bad for the brand prestige but will eventually detract from previous beloved models...

A couple of pojnts disturbed me about 5270 - it was in house - so while that was cool it means patek can make as many or as few as they see fit - there is always a tension between maximizing profit (making as many you can sell - the goal of any company) and maximizing collectibility (which sustains the brand) - patek has done t very well in the past but with the current astronomical prices and in house production - it remains to be seen whether they will continue....

I also found it disturbing and perhaps a symptom of the above when 5270 - was taken off the application piece list - my understanding being the PCCs traditionally always been on that list...

But I love that blue dial...! Luckily I don't need another blue dial in the collection else id be in the poor house
Old 25 February 2014, 12:23 PM   #90
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I meant personal opinion aside, do you guys think SJX have better sources that made him said something like that?

Oh well, I guess we will know if Patek continue to make pregnant dials in other precious metals.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote