The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2014, 01:09 PM   #91
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil bendy View Post
A couple of pojnts disturbed me about 5270 - it was in house - so while that was cool it means patek can make as many or as few as they see fit - there is always a tension between maximizing profit (making as many you can sell - the goal of any company) and maximizing collectibility (which sustains the brand) - patek has done t very well in the past but with the current astronomical prices and in house production - it remains to be seen whether they will continue....
That's the difficult part in running a prestigious brand, Ferrari last year said they will cut back production because selling too many cars are hurting their image.

I am also curious in seeing how Patek will turn out in the future. Most of the record auction prices are the old watches, will any of the current watches be a future classic (when there are quite a few of them out there)?
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 10:27 PM   #92
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I meant personal opinion aside, do you guys think SJX have better sources that made him said something like that?
Aha, I see where you are coming from now, you mean can he be encouraged to tow a particular line by manufacturers? Well I guess we will never know.......

In any case, web chatter on the big forums would dispute his comments as I mentioned before, even though of course the new design has its fans.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 02:07 AM   #93
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Aha, I see where you are coming from now, you mean can he be encouraged to tow a particular line by manufacturers? Well I guess we will never know.......

In any case, web chatter on the big forums would dispute his comments as I mentioned before, even though of course the new design has its fans.
We shall see if Patek kept making them in the future in other metals, maybe for some reason it is indeed more popular.....
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 10:00 AM   #94
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
We shall see if Patek kept making them in the future in other metals, maybe for some reason it is indeed more popular.....
Yep, 5270P black dial, no Jay Leno dial, for 175th anniversary, perfect!
Old 27 February 2014, 10:16 AM   #95
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Yep, 5270P black dial, no Jay Leno dial, for 175th anniversary, perfect!
My guess is the 175th Patek Anniversary line up will be unique and similar across the special references they choose to celebrate. They also won't release at Basel with the regular new releases but later in the year. Looking forward to seeing them and imagine they will all be harder to get...Just a hunch.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2014, 10:26 AM   #96
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
My guess is the 175th Patek Anniversary line up will be unique and similar across the special references they choose to celebrate. They also won't release at Basel with the regular new releases but later in the year. Looking forward to seeing them and imagine they will all be harder to get...Just a hunch.
Yep, I am inclined to agree! 5131 range will see some action too.