The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2014, 12:24 AM   #61
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

How many of you sit there and flict your wrist. I own the movement in two watches and never heard it until I put it next my ear and flick it. My Rolex does the same when I put it next to my ear and flick it.
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 12:38 AM   #62
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
My 5726s do the same thing. Part of the charm...
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 01:54 AM   #63
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I enjoy hearing my watch make the winding sound occasionally! It lets me know it is alive and well!
Old 17 February 2014, 02:43 AM   #64
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by El118 View Post
I believe the AP 15400 also having the winding sound.
I don't hear it, so if the OP is hear a rotor noise that also occurs at the same level as in a 15400 he must have very sensitive hearing.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 12:06 PM   #65
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Craig did you hear anything from the AD or are they still looking?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 08:01 PM   #66
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Have not heard boo from them yet, dropped in Saturday told me they would come back to me this week (after their local watch repairer looked at it), now Wednesday night here in Oz, so if I don't get a call by Friday they will be getting a call, I am a little surprised/disappointed that the store or rep who sold me a 20K watch has not called me back to either recognise they have the watch or comment as to whether it is or is not consistent. She owned her own Nautilus which she was not wearing on the day, so she could have called me given it should be making a similar sound or not.

To the earlier question about my hearing, I wish, I have my omega on, if I shake it near my ear I can hear the winder/rotor, but that is it (ditto all my Rolex/GP), the PP was very clear and could be heard by others sitting in my office while i typed and they were 5 feet away, so sadly not 6 million $ man/woman with bionic ears on me.....

I expect the answer will come back there is a range of how clear it is to hear the rotor, your watch is on the high end, we can try and do something about but it may make no difference, at which point I will say thanks take it home and wear it. I love the look and feel of the watch but I doubt I will be a fan of the sound but will get used to it, or at least that is what I am telling myself. I am genuinely fair and reasonable and put up with a lot, that said I think if I sold the watch to any person other than a PP enthusiast, they would probably complain on ebay that they were sold a faulty product, to me if the average person would be disappointed it does not reflect well on the brand.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 08:06 PM   #67
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
watching this with interest still
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 08:42 PM   #68
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
will get used to it, or at least that is what I am telling myself.
craig, pp is at a price point where the buyer should be 100% satisfied with the goods.

you want these kind of things to be perfect and not having to get used to them, otherwise it's a waste of cash in my book

you're not happy with it, so pp should take it back
Old 20 February 2014, 01:25 AM   #69
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
^for some ppl the PP rotor noise is perfect for others not ,
you can t please everybody.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2014, 06:16 AM   #70
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
craig, pp is at a price point where the buyer should be 100% satisfied with the goods.

you want these kind of things to be perfect and not having to get used to them, otherwise it's a waste of cash in my book

you're not happy with it, so pp should take it back
^^ I agree...I have learned that trying to "get used to something" or convince myself that something that bothers me is "acceptable" rarely works out well. If the noise bothered you before, it will bother you when you get it back. That is too much money to spend on something that doesn't make you 100% happy.
Old 25 February 2014, 05:40 PM   #71
zama
"TRF" Member

Latest update after 10 days with the AD they have checked it against 2 other 324SC movements (I am guessing from a either a Nautilus/Aquanaut) and they claim mine is within spec, so as per my previous post with time I will just get used to it. I understand many of you will say it is a nice feature, personally if a nice feature it would be seen on every high end watch over say 10K, you don't see it in Rolex's so I don't really see how it adds any value. That said I love every other element of the watch, time over would I buy it not sure, but I am now an owner and will see how it plays out, I don't think I will wear it any less because of the Rotor, but if a Jeanie offered me the choice to take the noise away i would. So ends the thread from my perspective anyway. I would suggest any potential buyer look at this feature before pulling the trigger just my 2c worth.

Thought I might throw a picture in as well, since it has now been with the AD longer than me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek1.jpg (46.8 KB, 382 views)
Old 25 February 2014, 06:30 PM   #72
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Bit late to this thread Craig, firstly congrats on the PP.
It is a bit strange to me that the rotor is noisy but at least you can hear it , with my hearing I have no chance .
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 12:43 AM   #73
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
If its any consolation, the 324 is used as a base movement in some of their 6 figure grand complications.

Ie 5160
Old 26 February 2014, 12:55 AM   #74
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've heard the sound on the video review of the Nautilus and as you have described it is not a very nice sound, rather grizzly, which even then is fine if you can decide when to listen to it by bringing it towards your ear but hearing that all the time would be a problem for me too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 08:52 AM   #75
codecow
"TRF" Member

Sorry about that Craig but I suspected it was the case as both of my 324s sound identical. As for whether it is high end to be able to hear it wind that is an interesting question. I didn't notice it while handling watches with the micro rotor (240) but I wasn't really paying attention and I wasn't violently shaking them or anything.

For me the bigger issue is that my 5167 has the sticking date problem, I need to send it in before it comes off warranty.
Old 26 February 2014, 10:43 AM   #76
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Sorry about that Craig but I suspected it was the case as both of my 324s sound identical. As for whether it is high end to be able to hear it wind that is an interesting question. I didn't notice it while handling watches with the micro rotor (240) but I wasn't really paying attention and I wasn't violently shaking them or anything.

For me the bigger issue is that my 5167 has the sticking date problem, I need to send it in before it comes off warranty.
How long ago did you purchase yours ?
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 11:13 AM   #77
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

If i drop 20k on a watch it better sing to me like its going to win a Grammy. Definately buy something else.
Old 26 February 2014, 12:13 PM   #78
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
How long ago did you purchase yours ?
About 9 months ago.
Old 26 February 2014, 12:30 PM   #79
pfg1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 YM Blue
PP5167 Rotor Noise

The PP Aquanaut was on my Top Three List for a future purchase but not anymore. I watched and listened to the TRF'r video of the PP rotor in action.......to me, the whirring noise sounds like.......FISH ON! I will definitely listen to the rotor in action when visiting my PP AD next week.

Thanks,

DAVID
2019 DEEPSEA Giveaway
2018 Rolex Red SD43 Giveaway
2018 Bond Submariner Giveaway
2020 Rolex + Tudor GMT Giveaway
2020 Rolex Submariner Giveaway
pfg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2014, 05:01 PM   #80
zama
"TRF" Member

Lost track of my own thread, Louis you could have saved me 10 days at the AD yours is identical to mine, and your comments re driving and being able to clearly hear it 2 feet from the web cam are right on, so for those that cannot hear it unless by their ear, then your rotor must make less noise. Louis has uploaded this to prove the point by rotating his wrist and yes, rotating the wrist solidly gives exactly that high level of rotor action. What cant be seen is that it is audible in totally normal activity (driving a car - turning the wheel, and typing on a keyboard). It is these daily noises that I don't see as being music to my ears, and as the clip highlights it is not a consistent level of noise either some times a little some times more with the same movement. As my AD explained the noise is only going to be heard in inward rotation as the rotor winds one direction.

That said I am sure I will learn to live with it, but maybe I will have to re-visit this thread when some random punter I work with says is that a bait caster real on your wrist and I say No that is the sound of 20K luxury. Sniggers or nods of I can see that, will tell me if we are all living out the PP answer of the play the kings new clothes.

Sorry for not thanking you earlier Louis as I said until I read the post above I had completely missed you taking the time to record and youtube this. Have not had issues with the date wheel yet but the AD did set it in front of me and it looked more of a struggle than on my other watches, she commented that it takes more winds than a Rolex to turn days, I am OK with that as long as I know. I don't leave watches on a winder and I rotate semi frequently so that may be a bit of a pain.
Old 27 February 2014, 11:20 AM   #81
Jabberjaw
Banned

I just got my 5167 and the rotor makes a faint noise.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2014, 04:07 PM   #82
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I enjoy hearing my watch make the winding sound occasionally! It lets me know it is alive and well!
x2
ahafs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2014, 04:24 PM   #83
El118
"TRF" Member

For those who find the sound annoying, try to think of the roaring sound of the Ferrari engine againts those of the Camrys. :)
Old 27 February 2014, 10:57 PM   #84
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
That said I am sure I will learn to live with it, but maybe I will have to re-visit this thread when some random punter I work with says is that a bait caster real on your wrist and I say No that is the sound of 20K luxury. Sniggers or nods of I can see that, will tell me if we are all living out the PP answer of the play the kings new clothes.
Based on this you should just sell it now. Flip it before it gets anymore wear. It sounds like you will never be happy.

Best of luck!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 12:56 AM   #85
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
I personally wouldn't settle if its not what you really love and enjoy 100% why keep it ?
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 01:40 AM   #86
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I think you are accurate in describing the sound of the rotor. Mine is pretty audible even without putting it against my ear. I have the PP 5711 and I love it. The sound doesn't bother me and I'm used to it.

Wear it and give it some time. If it is still bothersome then it may be better to sell it.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 11:58 AM   #87
wesleyvs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Panerai & PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Based on this you should just sell it now. Flip it before it gets anymore wear. It sounds like you will never be happy.

Best of luck!
This

wesleyvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 04:58 PM   #88
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
BTW there s an other option ,if you want the look but hate the noise you can get remove the rotor and use as a handwound watch.Hurts nothing and pretty much reversible.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 11:26 PM   #89
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
BTW there s an other option ,if you want the look but hate the noise you can get remove the rotor and use as a handwound watch.Hurts nothing and pretty much reversible.
Interesting thought...
"Ok , its really bugging me, could you just paint eyebrows on the Mona Lisa"

Old 28 February 2014, 11:36 PM   #90
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I love the sound! I wish my AP were louder. The youtube vid is great! Love it. I am sure the mic is amplifying it to some degree.

I guess your initial depreciation is already incurred so wear for a while and see if you warm up to it. Not much to lose with trying at this point.